daojones

Water purification

The water I am using tastes funny, and I suspect for various reasons there is something wrong with it. I am overwhelmed with the amount of filtration, purification, oxidation, ozonation, osmosis, etc techniques for dealing with such problems. I would love to just use spring water, but this seems like an expensive alternative. I was wondering what everyone else uses? Pros/cons?

The water I am using tastes funny, and I suspect for various reasons there is something wrong with it. I am overwhelmed with the amount of filtration, purification, oxidation, ozonation, osmosis, etc techniques for dealing with such problems. I would love to just use spring water, but this seems like an expensive alternative. I was wondering what everyone else uses? Pros/cons?

I use a normal carbon-based filter that I have attached to the kitchen's water tap.

It's not Himalayan water melted from the purest of the glaciers, but hey I can't complain, at least it gets rid of the nasty chloride and a great deal of man-made chemicals that somehow end up in the tap water.

What I also do is drink plenty of various Chinese and Taiwanese teas (green, puerh, high-mountain oolong and red) in order to compensate for that shortcoming...and also because I love tea.

Edited by Gerard

I agree with Gerard and use a simple carbon filter. There is an awful lot of hype about water and it can cost you a fortune going down the bottled spring water route. At one point I did get myself a water distiller but it is very expensive on electricity.

Just a run of the mill filter does for me now and yes, cultivate the habit of drinking fine tea's.It is one of lifes exquisite and subtle pleasures.

It's not Himalayan water melted from the purest of the glaciers,

Alaaaaaskan glacier water *drools* I wish I could go refill my camelback right now :lol:

Citrus or a few drops of lemon will clear chlorine.

You can also just leave it out for 30 min or so because of it's volatility it will evaporate off.

Still not sure how to clear fluoride without expensive filters.

John

Edited by JohnC

Since our bodies are essentially MADE of water, and water acts as a conductor for our energy, this is a majorly important question.

In my humble opinion as someone who has put a lot of energy into this issue, most filtration methods are very poor, and in some cases are actually damaging to your health.

Carbon filters don't do much beyond removing odor, effectively "febrezing" your water. They don't even begin to address the radiation, fluoride, heavy metals, and the pharmaceutical cocktail that is municipal "drinking water".

The major alternatives, namely distillation and reverse osmosis, produce a pharmaceutical grade water that's not really intended for long-term consumption, and as a strong solvent, they actually leach nutrients from your body. They are great for medicinal preparations and for watering your plants, but I don't think they are fit for optimum human health, unless you combine them with other methods to re-structure the water.

If you have access to water that doesn't need purification in the first place, that is BY FAR the best option. If at all possible, get your water from the womb of the earth where it has been kept safe and been charging up for hundreds or even thousands of years before the age of Fukushima and the like.

Personally, collecting water from springs has been one of the most profoundly beneficial practices I've ever adopted. Real water from the primal source does not even resemble what comes out of the tap or plastic bottle - physically or energetically, and you will immediately FEEL the difference.

Check out http://www.findaspring.com for nearby springs, or ask around - you'll be surprised how many you can find almost anywhere.

Springs are powerful, sacred places. Be sure to give thanks :D

-Jamyang

Edited by Jamyang Dorje

Ahhhh!!! Hate Cilantro - I know it's good for removing heavy metals from the system. I think their may be lead pipes, and I am nowhere near a spring. Looking for good literature or experience based opinions on a specific product.

Water is soooo important!

Just keep eating that Cilantro!

The major alternatives, namely distillation and reverse osmosis, produce a pharmaceutical grade water that's not really intended for long-term consumption, and as a strong solvent, they actually leach nutrients from your body. They are great for medicinal preparations and for watering your plants, but I don't think they are fit for optimum human health, unless you combine them with other methods to re-structure the water.

For me using spring water is too inconvenient to do so I'm thinking of getting a water distiller as I've heard good things about drinking distilled water. I've also heard that it can leech your body's minerals, but how much of an issue is this really? If you have a nutritious diet otherwise? Also, do you know any solutions for restructuring the water?

Personally, collecting water from springs has been one of the most profoundly beneficial practices I've ever adopted. Real water from the primal source does not even resemble what comes out of the tap or plastic bottle - physically or energetically, and you will immediately FEEL the difference.

Check out http://www.findaspring.com for nearby springs, or ask around - you'll be surprised how many you can find almost anywhere.

Springs are powerful, sacred places. Be sure to give thanks :D

-Jamyang

I was thinking this was totally impractical until I went to the findaspring site. It listed a spring not too far away. Looks like its just a hand pump on the side of the road. That on weekends there could be crowds waiting in line to get some.

Very cool. Thanks for the link.

For me using spring water is too inconvenient to do so I'm thinking of getting a water distiller as I've heard good things about drinking distilled water. I've also heard that it can leech your body's minerals, but how much of an issue is this really? If you have a nutritious diet otherwise? Also, do you know any solutions for restructuring the water?

If it leaches anything it is inorganic minerals - not organic and it is not a problem.

I have been using one for about 15 years.

One thing is interesting

I take three glasses of water

1 tap

2 filtered

3 filtered and distilled

You can really taste the difference

Filtered is lighter and sweeter than tap and distilled even lighter and sweeter.

Spring water is a lovely idea - just have it tested as there is so much underground pollution these days.

Even rainwater can be loaded with heavy metals - again a lot of pollution