Sign in to follow this  
jigme kunzang

Hi all, asking for advice : )

Hi All

My view is a Buddhist one, meaning I practice for the enlightenment of all sentient beings. My practice is integral, meaning I am open to practicing in any tradition that is efficient in cultivating self mastery. In the coming year my girlfriend and I wish to structure our lives around a submersion training in Taoist meditation, Qigong and martial arts. Because I am new to the internal martial arts community I am asking for help in finding teachers with whom we could undergo intensive training. I am thinking of living in the Bay Area but I am open to other possibilities. Please!!! if anyone out there has advice on legitimate teachers let me know.

Hi All

My view is a Buddhist one, meaning I practice for the enlightenment of all sentient beings. My practice is integral, meaning I am open to practicing in any tradition that is efficient in cultivating self mastery. In the coming year my girlfriend and I wish to structure our lives around a submersion training in Taoist meditation, Qigong and martial arts. Because I am new to the internal martial arts community I am asking for help in finding teachers with whom we could undergo intensive training. I am thinking of living in the Bay Area but I am open to other possibilities. Please!!! if anyone out there has advice on legitimate teachers let me know.

http://www.eastwestqi.com/html/dr__chow.html

http://naturalresonancerevolution.blogspot.com/2010/08/tone-color-alchemy-mind-meld.html

A bay area qigong master for you to get immersed in.

are you serious, drew? :huh: have you actually worked with her or visited her center?

i like Effie Chow. a lot. she's a pretty amazing lady. but she doesn't offer the kind of immersion that this guy sounds like he's looking for. her program is really basic and pretty damn secular. i've met her and a number of her students. i also have all of her materials. she's really skilled and puts on an impressive lecture, but her program doesn't even make the top 5 list of places i would go.

jigme kunzang,

it would really help if you could flesh out the kind of time, effort, and money you and your girlfriend have and are willing to put into this kind of thing. also, what are your ages?

in the meantime, you should send an email to Michael Rinaldini. he's a great open-door teacher with a lot of depth. he's also a Taoist priest. he does weekly classes, retreats, periodic intensives which sometimes include all-night meditation, the works. he's a registered Level IV instructor with the NQA. (if you don't know, google it. ;))

here's his website:

http://www.dragongateqigong.com/

i really think that this might be the kind of thing you're actually looking for. it's got all the goods, but it's not so strict or intense that it's like a militant or monastic type of setting. a pretty good middle ground, i think.

are you serious, drew? :huh: have you actually worked with her or visited her center?

i like Effie Chow. a lot. she's a pretty amazing lady. but she doesn't offer the kind of immersion that this guy sounds like he's looking for. her program is really basic and pretty damn secular. i've met her and a number of her students. i also have all of her materials. she's really skilled and puts on an impressive lecture, but her program doesn't even make the top 5 list of places i would go.

jigme kunzang,

it would really help if you could flesh out the kind of time, effort, and money you and your girlfriend have and are willing to put into this kind of thing. also, what are your ages?

in the meantime, you should send an email to Michael Rinaldini. he's a great open-door teacher with a lot of depth. he's also a Taoist priest. he does weekly classes, retreats, periodic intensives which sometimes include all-night meditation, the works. he's a registered Level IV instructor with the NQA. (if you don't know, google it. ;))

here's his website:

i really think that this might be the kind of thing you're actually looking for. it's got all the goods, but it's not so strict or intense that it's like a militant or monastic type of setting. a pretty good middle ground, i think.

haha. Yeah personally I think it's better to find Effie P. Chow -- who has her healings, etc. I attended her qi demonstration and that was the first time I experienced the chi energy and then the security guard for the University showed up wondering why the fuse to the room behind us was blown out. haha. So I was immersed for only a couple hours but the level of immersion was very rare indeed.

I did travel to SF to see about having further classes with her but I was broke when I got to SF so instead my friend entertained me and I just went to the new library to look for qigong books.

At least read her Miracle Healings in China for an amazing account of her healings -- I posted the healing vids she has on youtube which are amazing to watch to.

So yeah I wouldn't say anyone is limited for immersion unless if you join some monastery and maybe they don't let you go see Effie P. Chow -- you can always get a phone healing from Chunyi Lin. haha.

jigme kunzang,

here's his website:

Hundun -- what's your experience with Effie P. Chow? You imply that you've worked with her? haha. She is a qigong grandmaster healer so if you have "worked with her" I'd be curious if you have any stories to share. haha.

haha. Yeah personally I think it's better to find Effie P. Chow -- who has her healings, etc. I attended her qi demonstration and that was the first time I experienced the chi energy and then the security guard for the University showed up wondering why the fuse to the room behind us was blown out. haha. So I was immersed for only a couple hours but the level of immersion was very rare indeed.

I did travel to SF to see about having further classes with her but I was broke when I got to SF so instead my friend entertained me and I just went to the new library to look for qigong books.

At least read her Miracle Healings in China for an amazing account of her healings -- I posted the healing vids she has on youtube which are amazing to watch to.

So yeah I wouldn't say anyone is limited for immersion unless if you join some monastery and maybe they don't let you go see Effie P. Chow -- you can always get a phone healing from Chunyi Lin. haha.

please try to keep up. :rolleyes:

she's a skilled healer. granted. she's got juice and she puts on a good show. we get it. but do you get that her skill actually has NOTHING to do with what she offers in her training programs?

Michael Rinaldini isn't traveling the world trying to wow audiences with parlor tricks. He's practicing his art. he's teaching it. and he's living it.

• Like 2

Hundun -- what's your experience with Effie P. Chow? You imply that you've worked with her? haha. She is a qigong grandmaster healer so if you have "worked with her" I'd be curious if you have any stories to share. haha.

i'm sorry, is the title of grandmaster supposed to intimidate me in some way? :lol:

you're COMPLETELY missing the point of the thread AND the point i was making, but i'll indulge you just a little bit.

i'm friends with a tai chi instructor who teaches at the senior center 4 blocks from my house who has known her for years (Teresa Ngo). the caretaker of my old boss from a few years ago used to get healings from her whenever she was in town, and would take classes with her students. i've met her, i've gotten a good scan from her (and YES, i felt her energy. so?), and i've done the Chow Qigong program. additionally, i OWN the Chow Qigong program. SHE can do some pretty cool things, but she's not a GOD. she doesn't claim to have the highest healing percentage of any teacher, but she has performed some really impressive healings. but the fact is that ANY competent healer with enough years of experience can put together a highlight reel and impress the public. the POINT is that her PROGRAM doesn't offer that much in terms of what the OP is looking for, no matter how cool SHE might be.

EDIT:

i can see that you're already writing yet another response, and it probably misses the mark, as per usual.

i'm not gonna stay up all night doing this back-and-forth with you. i've made my point. more than once now. i don't have your stamina for all the posts that we all know you can make this discussion into.

Edited by Hundun

please try to keep up. :rolleyes:

she's a skilled healer. granted. she's got juice and she puts on a good show. we get it. but do you get that her skill actually has NOTHING to do with what she offers in her training programs?

Michael Rinaldini isn't traveling the world trying to wow audiences with parlor tricks. He's practicing his art. he's teaching it. and he's living it.

So you've taken one of her training programs? I've heard a bit from her students on the local community nonprofit radio -- students who take her 100 day program I think it's called or maybe 100 hour - in Minneapolis -- and say they learn qigong healing from it and she transmit qigong healing energy in her class. So it seems like her healing ability has something to do with what she teaches. haha. Effie P. Chow did say she can recharge her energy as she is healing people so maybe that's why she demonstrates her qi energy. I think she also just likes to have fun though. I mean she is a nice lady to be sure. I would say she also lives her qigong practice -- she talks about this and what she teaches sure is integrative.

So have you taken her class? Or you have "worked with her"? haha. Were you her assistant maybe? haha. Sorry I just thought maybe you had some personal experience with her. So you haven't taken her class? You don't learn qigong healing in her class? I guess I'm confused about her skill having nothing to do with what she offers in her training program. Maybe you could provide some details.

So you've taken one of her training programs? I've heard a bit from her students on the local community nonprofit radio -- students who take her 100 day program I think it's called or maybe 100 hour - in Minneapolis -- and say they learn qigong healing from it and she transmit qigong healing energy in her class. So it seems like her healing ability has something to do with what she teaches. haha. Effie P. Chow did say she can recharge her energy as she is healing people so maybe that's why she demonstrates her qi energy. I think she also just likes to have fun though. I mean she is a nice lady to be sure. I would say she also lives her qigong practice -- she talks about this and what she teaches sure is integrative.

So have you taken her class? Or you have "worked with her"? haha. Were you her assistant maybe? haha. Sorry I just thought maybe you had some personal experience with her. So you haven't taken her class? You don't learn qigong healing in her class? I guess I'm confused about her skill having nothing to do with what she offers in her training program. Maybe you could provide some details.

oh, okay. this is fair. i can answer this much. ;)

first, no, she doesn't have a 100-day program. if she did, i would have supported your recommendation because i think THAT'S the kind of thing the OP might be looking for. makes sense, right? i know, it's crazy. ;)

what i'm saying is that she's not cranking out a bunch of Effie Chows. i don't think i need to explain the term "secular," but also her program teaches as much healing as just about any other healing program. what i'm saying is that SHE may be special, but her PROGRAM isn't.

and, AGAIN, it's not comprehensive and doesn't have all the facets that the OP is looking for.

no, i wasn't her assistant. i met her (1-on-1, NOT in an audience), i did some stuff with her, i was REALLY impressed with her theoretical knowledge, and i thought her energy was quite strong, but not super-remarkable compared to other serious healers.

i hope that suffices.

Edited by Hundun
  • Like 2

oh, okay. this is fair. i can answer this much. ;)

first, no, she doesn't have a 100-day program. if she did, i would have supported your recommendation because i think THAT'S the kind of thing the OP might be looking for. makes sense, right? i know, it's crazy. ;)

what i'm saying is that she's not cranking out a bunch of Effie Chows. i don't think i need to explain the term "secular," but also her program teaches as much healing as just about any other healing program. what i'm saying is that SHE may be special, but her PROGRAM isn't.

and, AGAIN, it's not comprehensive and doesn't have all the facets that the OP is looking for.

no, i wasn't her assistant. i met her (1-on-1, NOT in an audience), i did some stuff with her, i was REALLY impressed with her theoretical knowledge, and i thought her energy was quite strong, but not super-remarkable compared to other serious healers.

i hope that suffices.

Wow really? The healings in her book are amazing and she has healings on youtube. Have you read her book "Miracle Healings from China"?

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Healing-China-Charles-McGee/dp/0963697951

I would definitely say those healings are "super-remarkable" haha. Personally I think it's best to find someone who has this type of super-remarkable healing energy.

She has super-remarkable healing videos on youtube that I link in my blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo8b-yZ352U&feature=related

haha.

Go for it -- post some videos demonstrating the super-remarkable healing abilities of "serious healers"!

A student of Effie P. Chow was healed of a brain tumor!

Sounds super-remarkable to me. haha.

Edited by fulllotus

Welp, as long as you're looking for something fun to do on the side instead of straight out risking your life, you wont get much

Welp, as long as you're looking for something fun to do on the side instead of straight out risking your life, you wont get much

So you watched the first healing vid I posted from Effie Chow? haha. The old man had a shoulder accident and couldn't lift his arm up past his side. So Effie Chow teaches him how to have fun on his side. haha. Yeah he was also deaf - functionally deaf -- and she heals his deafness.

Super-remarkable.

She whispers sex to his side and he can hear the whisper!

Yep a little fun on the side. Miracle healing. haha.

I met Effie years ago through association with another healer that had cooped to create a machine that healed severed spinal cords, Also met one of the healed who had broken their spinal cord two weeks before they got to them.

They completely healed. Effie's organization and associations is huge, so a quick google search at her classes by city

list on what appears to be their secondary site wont reveal the below..

She is very much sought after and with good reason. Woman are the natural healers and always prove out to be 10x stronger men..

""

Dr Chow and the East West Academy offer many intensive programs to learn their Qigong method of healing as well as shorter classes and seminars for those who would like to learn how to heal themselves. The more intensive 100 or 400 hour program is for anyone who would like to learn the complete method, but mostly for people who are learning to become Qigong healers themselves. Dr Chow teaches throughout the world each year and also offers private consultations at the East West Academy in San Francisco.

Chow Qigong is a powerful system where one can learn techniques of health assessment using energy concepts, skills in touch healing, acupressure, energy manipulation, traditional Chinese massage, relaxation skills, as well as Qigong exercises which boost your Qi in order to maximize stamina, wellness, and disease prevention. The above is augmented by methods of visualization and meditation specially developed by Dr Chow.

Dr Chow's 100 hour training program is an integral component of a more extensive 400 hour training course. Dr. Chow's training program is based on the model developed at the East West Academy of Healing Arts by Dr. Chow with the cooperation of the University of California, San Francisco Extension, Division of Nursing Continuing Education. It has been implemented in Kalispel, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Seatle, Spokane, Washington D.C. and the Canadian cities of Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto, and Waterloo, as well as many other areas. Dr. Chow combines the ancient and modern, Eastern and Western theories and practices, as well as her own original theories and practices utilizing Energy Principles. The Chow Integrated Healing System is dynamically effective, as well as cost effective.

Dr Chow was a Presidential Appointee to the White House Commission on

Complementary and Alternative Medicine Policy. She's had 40 years of Qigong and TCM training and practice. In addition, she also has a Ph.D. and a Masters in behavioral sciences and communication, as well as being a skilled acupuncturist, and public health and psychiatric nurse ""

Definitely worth a look..

Woman are the natural healers and always prove out to be 10x stronger men..

A native American teacher recently told me that men are more suited for being healers, whereas women are typically more like...sorceresses or something...but that they are much more powerful by nature. He said, "hell hath no fury" and to be careful with them. Of course this is all generalizations. He said, when they do ceremonies, the women form a circle around the medicine man, facing outward, acting as spiritual protection. :ninja::lol:

Edited by Scotty

Hi All

As someone who grew up in the Bay Area, I can tell you that the place is historically rich in opportunities for studying all things Asian. San Francisco was the major port of entry for Bhuddhists coming to America from china and Japan. It still has it's share of problems endemic to American metropolis' but there are many wonderful reasons for moving there. I wish I could move back but my wife's job here in LA is just too good to give up.

Master Kam-chuen Lam, author of "The Way of Energy" has moved from the UK to Oakland, CA - http://www.lamkamchuen.com/lamkamchuen.com/News_%26_Events/News_%26_Events.html

I'd be taking regular workshops from him if I were back in town. Across the bay in Fairfax is none other than Bruce Frantzis and his www.energyarts.com If I could move back to Sonoma County in the North Bay I'd make Teja Bell my first choice - he's at

http://www.qigongdharma.com/

Hope this helps.

Scott

Hi All

Do you know what a Sentient Being is?

Open to possibilities to cultivate self-mastery? In the Bay Area, for intensive inner-work, try EJ Gold in Nevada City, Calif. You may not wake-up, but you will get untethered from ego, thus the ground to wake-up.

In the film 'Words of My Perfect Teacher', a true spiritual teacher is likened to an assassin,...an assassin you hire to kill your ego.

Thank you all for your replies, I will consider all of your advice carefully. To expand on my initial post here's a little more information about my girlfriend and myself. We are interested in Masters who have a deep level of practice and teach complete systems for mastering Qi, specifically Qigong, internal martial arts, and meditation. In other words we are interested in the transmission of spiritual sciences that come to us through China (or Tibet). We are both 26, our funds are limited, and we have only the time left over after earning a living. This education is very important to us, we are willing to move to place that has the greatest opportunity for in depth training. If anyone out their has advice on authentic Qi masters please respond.: ) (preferably on the west coast)

Edited by jigme kunzang

Thank you all for your replies, I will consider all of your advice carefully. To expand on my initial post here's a little more information about my girlfriend and myself. We are interested in Masters who have a deep level of practice and teach complete systems for mastering Qi, specifically Qigong, internal martial arts, and meditation. In other words we are interested in the transmission of spiritual sciences that come to us through China (or Tibet). We are both 26, our funds are limited, and we have only the time left over after earning a living. This education is very important to us, we are willing to move to place that has the greatest opportunity for in depth training. If anyone out their has advice on authentic Qi masters please respond.: ) (preferably on the west coast)

Yeah qigong master Chunyi Lin calls Minnesota the "Tibet of the U.S." haha. http://springforestqigong.com -- check out the testimonials and the medical research. People fly in from around the world to take classes and go to his healing center, etc. Still with global warming kicking in were getting 50 plus F. temps here in January -- record breaking warmth. Still back to below freezing tmrw. haha. Hope my wood pile lasts through tomorrow since my bigu energy is not as good as Chunyi Lin -- he did the seven week full lotus no food, no water, no sleep cave meditation as taught through http://qigongmaster.com near Tibet. Master Zhang. Chunyi Lin said he also studied with the teacher of Yan Xin -- maybe that was at Shaolin where he said he studied with Master Yao... Anyway you can always get phone healings if you want and then just practice on your own.

In the film 'Words of My Perfect Teacher', a true spiritual teacher is likened to an assassin,...an assassin you hire to kill your ego.

I laughed out loud, my ego is too big.

My teacher knows where I live, is my ego safe?

I think I'm gonna die.

Sign in to follow this