Zalfel

When to meditate and when not.

Whenever I try to meditate I have trouble. I have looked at a ton of advice and find that some times I simply can not do anything but sit there and fidget. Are there certain conditions that you feel hinder meditation?

Whenever I try to meditate I have trouble. I have looked at a ton of advice and find that some times I simply can not do anything but sit there and fidget. Are there certain conditions that you feel hinder meditation?

many conditions can hinder meditation! But there are many kinds of meditation, and one of the kinds that is recommended for people with fidget problems is mantra meditation. Mudras can also help, not a particular mudra for fidgiting, but just any mudra with the hands can give the mind something to do, so that it isn't as distracted by its own mechanism. Practicing with more active meditations before trying to do less is a pretty common recommendation for people with your report.

I think that this extends to counting the breaths, and generally engaging the mind in some way in order to build concentration. Once one has concentration, they can do emptiness meditations and other meditations that cause the monkey mind to rear its head.

When I'm to fidgety to meditate I'll do some exercise, push ups, squats.. and/or take a hot shower. Then I'm ready.

If you are interested in mantra meditation then you could do worse than take advantage of this free mantra meditation instruction.

free Meditation Course

It is basically the Transcendental Meditation method and is put across in a simple and straightforward manner. A good starting point.

Edited by Chang

Hi Zalfel,

I have a couple of answers for you, see which one if either speaks to you.

Firstly, your fidgeting will likely be your Qi energy struggling to align and settle this often manifests as sudden twitching, spasms or shaking. It may also mean that the energy is not struggling but is starting to align itself in the way your cultivation has been working towards. The difference in movement of this energy may be causing certain parts of your body to feel loaded, anxious or charged. To get to the bottom of this you may just need to go to your teacher or find a teacher who can adjust your seated position to help things flow more fluidly.

Secondly, the fidgeting may come from a restless mind, I can't tell from your message. The mind should rest of its own accord in time - there is no need to fight or control it but just to keep sitting through it. If you find that all these distractions are too much try to be a little lighter with your practice or be more open to what happens. Your thinking that 'this should not be happening' is your ego 'commentating' on what is going on; your inner 'expert' saying "hey, this shouldn't be happening". When this occurs our practice becomes closed because we are making judgments and not letting our body or mind move naturally to the still point.

In truth, meditation has nothing to do with being sat on a cushion or focusing internally at a certain point. If you 'get it' you can meditate while driving a car or while out shopping - as you are probably aware the act of meditation is to help us settle down for when we do this we begin to align with our original nature the truth of what we are - this can be done anywhere, anyhow. To be in a constant state of meditation is to be aware of the sense of stillness in and around you. So, going for a walk in a forest, sitting in a garden quietly sipping tea, looking up and watching clouds drift by - all help as a meditation practice.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Heath

Edited by Wayfarer
  • Like 3

Focus more on serious moving energetic work (ie IMA, Zhan Zhuang, super slow walking meditation for as many hours as you like at the time); work hard those legs of yours, so the force you are creating pushes Qi out of its comfort zone (like pooling water in a pond) and starts moving it everywhere within you, removing those nasty energetic blockages and the "demons" that guard them. Then you'll meditate much better when sitting down.

We truly have a Universe within which is stagnant in most instances...and how do you remove stagnation? Mindful movement.

• Like 2

super slow walking meditation for as many hours as you like at the time); work hard those legs of yours, so the force you are creating pushes Qi out of its comfort zone (like pooling water in a pond) and starts moving it everywhere within you, removing those nasty energetic blockages and the "demons" that guard them. Then you'll meditate much better when sitting down.

We truly have a Universe within which is stagnant in most instances...and how do you remove stagnation? Mindful movement.

Great advice.

• Like 1

Great advice.

I know you know the real deal: good internal training vs New Age Qigong. ;)

Keep going, you are also on the right track, my friend.

• Like 1

I know you know the real deal: good internal training vs New Age Qigong. ;)

Keep going, you are also on the right track, my friend.

Thanks Gerard.

Walking meditation is often overlooked as a practice in favour of sitting. This is unfortunate, as many have attained realization, solely through walking meditation. I like to practice barefoot if possible as I find it creates a living connection with Mother Earth, rather than just a dry, mind only exercise.

• Like 2

Yes I know, but again each to their own. Others have returned to the Dao by solely walking the circle...and how about enlightenment while drinking a cup of tea? Many ways as long one is mindful and at peace with thyself. :)

Edited: Have you tried slow walking meditation using the embracing the tree posture? It really targets the kidneys' Qi and removes any existing blockages but healing the kidneys is a very slow process. It's a very stubborn organ!

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

Times, Places, and Conditions in which Meditation is Impossible:

1. At, or immediately after, meals.

2. In places of pleasure.

3. In crowded places.

4. While walking rapidly.

5. While lying in bed in the morning.

6. While smoking.

7. While lying on a couch or bed for physical or mental relaxation.

Times, Places and Conditions in which Meditation is Difficult:

1. At night.

2. In a luxuriously furnished room.

3. While sitting on a soft, yielding seat.

4. While wearing gay clothing.

5. When in company.

6. When the body is weary.

7. If the body is given too much food.

Times, Places, and Conditions in which it is Best to Meditate:

1. Very early in the morning.

2. Immediately before meals.

3. In solitude.

4. In the open air or in a plainly furnished room.

5. While sitting on a hard seat.

6. When the body is strong and vigorous.

7. When the body is modestly and plainly clothed.

It will be seen by the foregoing instructions that ease, luxury, and indulgence (which induce reverie) render meditation difficult, and when strongly pronounced make it impossible; while strenuousness, discipline, and self-denial (which dispel reverie), make meditation comparatively easy. The body, too, should be neither overfed nor starved; neither in rags nor flauntingly clothed. It should not be tired, but should be at its highest point of energy and strength, as the holding of the mind to a concentrated train of subtle and lofty thought requires a high degree of both physical and mental energy.

Silly goose! Everyone knows it's difficult to meditate while wearing gay clothing!

J/k - If your eyes are closed, what does it matter? lol!

Yes I know, but again each to their own. Others have returned to the Dao by solely walking the circle...and how about enlightenment while drinking a cup of tea? Many ways as long one is mindful and at peace with thyself. :)

Edited: Have you tried slow walking meditation using the embracing the tree posture? It really targets the kidneys' Qi and removes any existing blockages but healing the kidneys is a very slow process. It's a very stubborn organ!

Interesting. I will have to try this. Thanks for the tip Gerard.

Haha yeah that list is a bit dodgy.

For myself i've always found my meditation is BEST at night, after midnight when everything is silent.

not saying I do but people meditate whilst sleeping, conversation with friends, heated discussions with friends, fighting or martial arts, eating, working...

there are situations Im finding it difficult to see like studying or certain types of work like high pressure sales

not saying I do but people meditate whilst sleeping, conversation with friends, heated discussions with friends, fighting or martial arts, eating, working...

there are situations Im finding it difficult to see like studying or certain types of work like high pressure sales

sure, but during study or sales, you can be aware of the breath, and return to the deep balanced breath when it becomes shallow or agitated. So in a way you can apply meditation to those activities.

Awesome Gerard

You are welcome. I know you practice XYQ so here's a fast-paced expression of mind-body unity:

Enjoy!

Walking meditation is often overlooked as a practice in favour of sitting. This is unfortunate, as many have attained realization, solely through walking meditation.

Imagine how powerful walking meditation is (especially if you start with a good session of ZZ - embrace tree stance, first) that "I" entered 6th jhana (space is filled with consciousness) early this morning (just past sunrise, around 5am) in the park. I saw/perceived -walking meditation is done with eyes wide open but internally focused on every single segment of the stepping process- consciousness moving right in front of a very large tree I was facing, like a massive wave, evoking a scene that probably happened in a recent past (a mother asking their naughty children to behave). The tree picked up the essence of that energetic event, it acted like a witness and just recalled it as a dream...in fact the tree itself was dreaming!

All the alchemical treatises I read said that the meditation should be done during tzu hour (11:00PM-1:00AM) because in that time the Yang essence of the kidney vapour rises - they name it "the dragon emerges in the tzu hour". Early in the morning is the time when "the tiger soars at the wu hour". Tiger is the Yin essence of the heart.

The one method I have been successful with is inward observance. I simply observe my emotions as they emerge and pass. This has helped me a great deal in my daily life as I see the truth of myself and a situation more clearly. Ironically when I sit down and try to do that kind of deep meditation I falter as I said before.

Firstly, this is normal.

This is why it is necessary to start with body control when you are first starting meditation. Body control is a practice where you simply sit, and watch your body, keeping it completely still. Start with only a minute if you can only do as much, and work up to at least a half hour. Your body will revolt. It will start to itch, twitch, burn, become uncomfortable, etc. Do not move even a little bit, do not scratch any itches, do not move until you have completed the meditation. If you practice this every day, you will find soon enough that one day, all these discomforts simply vanished, and your body is no longer a hindrance.

You can also practice thought observation, or the kind of meditation you are most comfortable with while practicing body observation. It will only help it. During body observation, remember to keep your attention on your body, and that is it. Let the sensations come and go. Stay aware of what your mind is doing too.

This practice is necessary, and invaluable to your progress. The body is the first to be conquered, so that you can give all of your energy and attention to subtler things- your mind. Once you get past your body, a peace and general feeling of lightness and bliss comes which will further fuel your meditations and give more motivation. This is the start of pratyahara, or the withdrawal of the senses. This is known as epistrophe in the Grecian mysteries. When you get past your body, and start to withdrawal, you may feel your body get very large, very small, feel your spinning, or floating, or very light, very heavy etc. This is your identity getting detached from your physical body, and attached to your astral body. These sensations are good sign posts.

So start with body observation. And do thought observation as a separate practice after thought observation. You will make good progress if you do this consistently.

• Like 2