mewtwo

hua hu ching real fake?

What is your oppinion on the hua hu ching? like is it real fake? is the words real but the story that lao tzu wrote it fake?

I know i will get a million different answers but am willing to try this again.

Thanks

What's that?

a taoist text commonly attributed to lao tzu. Commentary on the text doesn't appear until hundreds of years later though, so it seems likely that later masters (or A later master) wrote the text and then attributed it to lao tzu. Such practice was not uncommon, much like the yijinjing and jisuijing are commonly attributed to bodhidharma, but didn't appear until much later, causing debate about their authenticity.

to friend, i give a high-five for cutting through the materialism of the issue to the bone of it. It doesn't matter who wrote it. I don't care if it was lao tzu or some village drunk. What matters is the wisdom contained therein, and I have found the text to be very helpful.

It is basically a dialogue between a master and student about internalism, meditation, mindfulness, and mastery.

I recommend HuaChingNi's version, but there are others.. any way you cut it, its worth reading

What is your oppinion on the hua hu ching? like is it real fake? is the words real but the story that lao tzu wrote it fake?

I know i will get a million different answers but am willing to try this again.

Thanks

Many scholars believe that there was no single individual responsible for Dao De Jing, that is - no "Lao Zi", let alone that the same individual responsible for Dao De Jing is responsible for Hua Hu Ching, which was a verbal transmission. Though they do appear to arise from the same general tradition.

Much like the debates about "who wrote the bible?" "was there a man named Jesus?" "what exactly did and didn't Buddha say?" and so forth, I'm not too concerned with trying to know the unknowable.

What counts for me is what is in the teachings. What are they telling me? Are they helping me to lead a more enriching life? Are they helping me to help others to lead a more enriching life? And so on...

I haven't spent enough time with the Hua Hu Ching to give a meaningful opinion on it's value to me, and even if I did - that wouldn't mean that you would or should agree with me.

I guess I'd like to hear what you think about it also.

• Like 2

We had to read the Hua Hu Ching in one of my Daoism classes, Hua Ching Ni's translation. . . he writes that it was a later work of Lao Tzu, but my own research puts its much later than the Dao De Jing - like a couple hundred years.

Some say it was written as a Daoist response to debates with the Buddhists.

Edited by robmix

Greetings..

Between TTC (Tao Te Ching) and HHC (Hua Hu Ching)the styles and messages differ such as to imply different sources.. TTC remains a truly timeless document that offers a practical guide to daily Life, and equally practical guide to understanding human spirituality.. as a companion, the I-Ching, Book of Changes, is a remarkable study of human nature as influenced by the changes of Life's uncertainties.. The 'Trilogy' for my understandings of the principles, are TTC, HHC, and Chuang Tsu.. HHC seems oddly misplaced in the classics, to me..

Be well..

Hua Hu Ching, 化胡經, was written by Wang Fu, 王浮, to record the history of LaoTze after he left China and gone west. Hua Hu Ching was suppose to be recorded LaoTze's trip to India and became a Buddhist monk and educated the non-Chinese(non Han Tribe) about Buddhism. People had make revisions one after another and it turns out to be ten volumes. The Hua Hu Ching created a big conflicts between Buddhism and Taoist Religion. Hence, the two emperors in the Tang Dynasty had ordered them to stop their disputes. After the Mongolian took over China and ordered to burn the pseudo Taoist Classic in 1285. Since then, the original copy of the Hua Hu Ching has been lost. However, there are still broken pieces of Hua Hu Ching in English and French but that was not the original copy which written by Wang Fu's copy.

Ref: Hua Hu Ching, 化胡經

Edited by ChiDragon

Hua Hu Ching, 化胡經, was written by Wang Fu, 王浮, to record the history of LaoTze after he left China and gone west. Hua Hu Ching was suppose to be recorded LaoTze's trip to India and became a Buddhist monk and educated the non-Chinese(non Han Tribe) about Buddhism. People had make revisions one after another and it turns out to be ten volumes. The Hua Hu Ching created a big conflicts between Buddhism and Taoist Religion. Hence, the two emperors in the Tang Dynasty had ordered them to stop their disputes. After the Mongolian took over China and ordered to burn the pseudo Taoist Classic in 1285. Since then, the original copy of the Hua Hu Ching has been lost. However, there are still broken pieces of Hua Hu Ching in English and French but that was not the original copy which written by Wang Fu's copy.

Ref: Hua Hu Ching, 化胡經

never heard that story before anyone have any more info on this?