konchog uma

Good Food!

I'm sitting here eating a cold salad made with quinoa, pears, cranberries, and pomegranate seeds, and i'm reading the tea thread thinking "there should be a food thread!"

One thing that has been really keeping me awesomely happy this winter is a simple dish i've been making with lamb, eggs, and kimchi. I saute the lamb in a small cast iron skillet til its 2/3 cooked, crack some eggs over them, and top it with salt, pepper, and kimchi. I cover it and let it cook about 6-10 minutes til the eggs are almost solid (i like them a little runny). Local organic lamb and eggs (of course)... oh my gosh its so good

I hope this thread gets hot with cool ideas for food.. i was in a food rut for a while, eating the same 5 or 6 things over and over again, and it was sharing recipes and ideas that got me to try some awesome stuff.. so i just wanted to pass the love on :)

Tonight I'm repeating a dish that went over well the first time and falls within our fitness goals. We used to serve spaghetti over pasta with sauted zucchini as a side, but we're trying to dispense with as many wheat products as we can, so I just served the sauce over the zucchini. The 15 year-old, who appears deadly allergic to anything that is not a refined carbohydrate or a meat product, gets to mop up the sauce with some mini baguets from Trader Joe's.

I've also overcome my aversion to preparing a separate meal for her and the rest of the family, but I've conceded that my food choices would be a little weird (maybe not by TTB standards) and have accepted the need to cook more than one menu to keep everyone happy. Fighting over food with a fussy 15-yr old girl is futile.

I need someone to cook for me. :lol:

Just finished my lazy cooking: bowl of brown rice with tuna and steamed bok choy, followed by a thin slice of orange and puerh tea.

I miss Asia for this very reason, especially the fantastic cuisine of Kuala Lumpur:

Spicy Malay Food, an endless variety of Chinese food, exotic cuisine from North and South India, as well as Nyonya and Portuguese Food. Popular Malaysian dishes include satay, nasi lemak, rendang, roti canai, murtabak, laksa, chicken rice, and fried noodles.

Freaking hell! :(

• Like 1

Tonight I'm repeating a dish that went over well the first time and falls within our fitness goals. We used to serve spaghetti over pasta with sauted zucchini as a side, but we're trying to dispense with as many wheat products as we can, so I just served the sauce over the zucchini. The 15 year-old, who appears deadly allergic to anything that is not a refined carbohydrate or a meat product, gets to mop up the sauce with some mini baguets from Trader Joe's.

I've also overcome my aversion to preparing a separate meal for her and the rest of the family, but I've conceded that my food choices would be a little weird (maybe not by TTB standards) and have accepted the need to cook more than one menu to keep everyone happy. Fighting over food with a fussy 15-yr old girl is futile.

cutting out wheat made a HUGE difference in my life! i didn't know i had celiac until i did a 21 day fast and then as soon as i ate wheat again, i had a bad allergic reaction! No more wheat, and my thinking and physical health and vitality cleared up immensely.

is your little 15 year old seriously allergic or is that just your way of saying she won't eat that stuff?

btw dig your recipe, and if you have to do 2 menus, it seems cool to do one dish that can be eaten 2 different ways :)

Spicy Malay Food, an endless variety of Chinese food, exotic cuisine from North and South India, as well as Nyonya and Portuguese Food. Popular Malaysian dishes include satay, nasi lemak, rendang, roti canai, murtabak, laksa, chicken rice, and fried noodles.

Freaking hell! :(

hahah im 3 for 8... don't know what most of those things are :)

What a temptress food can be. How much easier to be lean and ripped were it not for her charms and how shamed we feel when we have indulged.

cutting out wheat made a HUGE difference in my life! i didn't know i had celiac until i did a 21 day fast and then as soon as i ate wheat again, i had a bad allergic reaction! No more wheat, and my thinking and physical health and vitality cleared up immensely.

is your little 15 year old seriously allergic or is that just your way of saying she won't eat that stuff?

btw dig your recipe, and if you have to do 2 menus, it seems cool to do one dish that can be eaten 2 different ways :)

Our experience was similar following a 10-day fast; we don't have celiac, but we felt better without it, and Tim Ferriss (4-Hour Body) says if you replace wheat with beans and legumes you can lose 10-20 pounds the first month without exercise, and his reasoning seems sound.

I eat a Lot of Buckwheat. If everyone knew the advantages they'd be buying it before the weekend is over. It's also great for working out.

Our experience was similar following a 10-day fast; we don't have celiac, but we felt better without it, and Tim Ferriss (4-Hour Body) says if you replace wheat with beans and legumes you can lose 10-20 pounds the first month without exercise, and his reasoning seems sound.

I eat a Lot of Buckwheat. If everyone knew the advantages they'd be buying it before the weekend is over. It's also great for working out.

if you drop wheat, you'll lose weight, i have to agree with that in general! Buckwheat is awesome.. i have some dark green buckwheat noodles i have been waiting for the right occasion to cook up. Any suggestions anyone?

i just ripped the kapok stuffings out of my zafu and replaced them with 5lb organic buckwheat hulls... i could feel a massive energetic difference. The first thing my girlfriend said when she sat on it was "wow this feels so much better", referring to energy, not the sensation of buckwheats under ones butt :lol:

now that doesn't have anything at all to do with eating more buckwheat, but i thought i would throw it in there cause i was really happy about it. hahahaah! for my next trick i will derail my own thread

gonna go check out that link now :)

Edited by anamatva

This is a real handy website for foodies. Great ideas from all over the world... you'll never run out of inspiration now! :P:D

http://www.yummly.com/recipes

If you're feeling really adventurous for simple Asian dishes, i'd recommend this blog full of exciting, sumptuous recipes:

http://rasamalaysia.com/recipes/

Next time you're passing an Asian grocer, look for some fresh lotus root. Super food, full of nutrition, versatile - can be eaten raw, as well as for adding into stews and clear soups.

http://www.homemade-chinese-soups.com/lotus-root.html

Great topiC!! Love food!!! Thats why i opted to take up cheffing as a second profession :lol:

hahah im 3 for 8... don't know what most of those things are :)

Trust me, delicious. If you ever happen to land in KL (or Penang) you'll remember this conversation. :)

If you're feeling really adventurous for simple Asian dishes, i'd recommend this blog full of exciting, sumptuous recipes:

http://rasamalaysia.com/recipes/

Nice! Thanks, sir. Bookmarked.

I wanted to make a general point about the role of food and chi. I've read dozens of references to getting chi from food but for the longest time I thought "eh, BFD." That was before I was running my energy at will. After that, and following a 10-day fast, I noticed how much more powerfully my energy was. I stayed with a fairly pure diet for about a month after that fast and eventually found my way back to standard crappy American indulgences and I'm sure the current came down a few milliamps.

So, my experience showed me beyond a reasonable doubt that the quality of the food and the chi was strongly related. If you're living on Jack-in-the-Box Tacos - 2/99cents - until payday, it will definitely have an effect.

A while back I made a dish out of mungbeans. I soaked them overnight then the next day in a pan on medium heat with some EVOO sauted some chopped onions, lots of garlic, some ginger, banana pepper(spicy one), chopped up tomatoes. I let that cook for a bit than I added the mungbeans. I stired it up, a tiny bit of sea salt, some black pepper, lots of basil, a splash of soy sauce(low sodium). Man was that good, it would have been better with some rice but I only had pita bread at the time(eating it plain would be good too). Been trying to cut out wheat and sugar but it's hard in my house XD, I was raised on that pita bread son!(pita bread suprisingly has no sugar in it I don't know if the nutrition facts are true).

Oh yeah I have a question, are eggs an ok food to be eating daily? For the past 3 months I've been having 2-5 eggs daily, always adding some black pepper to balance yin&yang :P.

If you have an android phone there's this great app called "Chi-eating" it has a list a great list of different cold and hot foods so you can have balance. It's awesome :D

Edited by AЯAB