Sign in to follow this  
Rishi Das

Can words even express a feeling?

While only being on The Tao Bums for a short period of time, my gratitude for this site is at an all time high and only looks to be increasing from here on out. To everyone who contributes, I want to say thank you, without all of you none of this would be possible and for that I am forever grateful.

During my time here I have learned a lot about the Taoist Arts and all that comes with them, from internal alchemy to the actual importance of everyday practice, The Tao Bums has really allowed me to open up in ways I never thought possible.

Like everyday of my life thus far, today started out very positively...I woke up. That being said, today held something in store for me that was truly and experience in which words can't really begin to describe...I was introduced to "life force" by a man with some serious juice...Hundun.

Not only did he welcome me into his home, Hundun poured me some delicious tea, introduced me to a couple of friends, and made me feel welcome and loved from the moment I stepped through his door; having never met him before in my life I was honestly inspired by the generosity and sincerity he expressed, never once making me feel the slightest bit uncomfortable. After chatting a bit we got down on a little shaking, and some Zhan Zhuang; boy oh boy just being near the guy made me tingle all over, not to mention the transmission that continues to leave me buzzing which i'm sure will continue to unfold as the days progress.

All in all the experience was something which words can't really even begin to describe. While i'm still relatively new to all this, one thing is for certain, The Tao Bum Hundun has some serious sauce and I am so very grateful he shared some with me.

Without The Tao Bums non of this would have been possible, so as I said before; thank you everyone for contributing and making this site a very special place, I appreciate you all very much.

Edited by don_vedo
  • Like 3

Well, someone needs recognize your post so here I am.

You are right, I think, in that words are never sufficient to fully express a feeling (emotion).

And I agree that Tao Bums is a wonderfrul place in that there is much to be gained while at the same time it is a place where all the members here may release their pressures and experiences of life.

• Like 1

I appreciate the recognition Marblehead, although if the post was left uncommented on that would have been ok too; just the fact that it got views is enough for me to know that people saw it and were able to receive my appreciation for this online community. Either way I appreciate your response, it definitely triggered some good thoughts on my end.

at the same time it is a place where all the members here may release their pressures and experiences of life.

I never really thought about it as being a place for the release of pressures from everyday experience. It makes total sense that writing it out releases it. Now that I look at it from that perspective it explains a lot about music, poetry, storytelling, movies; pretty much everything where expression could be embedded.

I guess a question that piggybacks off that is exactly what the title of the thread states...can words even express a feeling? Are those pressures really released through writing, or is it simply better to just allow them to release as they come up no matter the situation? Wouldn't that be truly living in the moment, letting the energy of each and every moment flow the way it intends to? Society sets up all these rules, restrictions, guidelines on how we must act in public, even how we must act in private to some degree; by rising above and letting the inner radiate outward, wouldn't we be truly living, never having to release pressure because pressure never arises.

The word heretic seems to come to mind, I feel as if I understand and appreciate the word a bit more.

Edited by don_vedo

:wub:

:lol:

it was great meeting you yesterday, bro. it's always inspiring to work with someone who learns so quickly and who joyfully puts in the work. i sometimes wish everyone could be a little more like you.

thanks for the shout out, but watch how you talk about me; folks might get the impression that i'm approachable in real life! ;)

catch up with you soon.

Can words even express a feeling?

The best response I've heard regarding this question was from EJ Gold, who said:

"Real emotions are communicated by outward radiation of the mood, and originate through an awakened emotional center, which has no reverberational effects in other parts of the body, and is not necessary to verbally communicate the emotion.

Positive and negative emotion are subjective mental states occuring in reflex, and must be verbalized and elaborately described, explained, rationalized and mentally communicated and understood.

Those who can produce real emotions in themselves never communicate about emotional states in mental language; they just radiate the emotions, allowing the emotion to speak for itself.

In the presence of someone who is able to produce real emotion, we experience feelings - perhaps for the first time. Very often, someone who has awakened the higher Emotional Body and who has learned to radiate emotions becomes a celebrity-guru, and people gather like cattle to bathe in the higher emotions. These higher emotions are often mistaken for some mysterious cosmic force or interpreted in some pseudo-religious way, but really they are just emotions.

What a pity that human beings are so unaccustomed to emotion that they feel compelled to submissively huddle together in the warmth of the emotional radiation of someone just as mechanical as they are, but who happened to have activated, by accident, the higher Emotional Body."

Edited by Vmarco

What a pity that human beings are so unaccustomed to emotion that they feel compelled to submissively huddle together in the warmth of the emotional radiation of someone just as mechanical as they are, but who happened to have activated, by accident, the higher Emotional Body." [/b][/i]

Thank you.

I was wondering if somebody could put a negative spin on such a nice comment.

I guess a question that piggybacks off that is exactly what the title of the thread states...can words even express a feeling? Are those pressures really released through writing, or is it simply better to just allow them to release as they come up no matter the situation? Wouldn't that be truly living in the moment, letting the energy of each and every moment flow the way it intends to? Society sets up all these rules, restrictions, guidelines on how we must act in public, even how we must act in private to some degree; by rising above and letting the inner radiate outward, wouldn't we be truly living, never having to release pressure because pressure never arises.

Yep. We are still working with the same concept.

I can't really answer your questions though. Hehehe. I could talk about myself but that gets really boring.

I do agree that we are much too often restricted by society, etc, regarding how we express our emotions and while it might be good for society overall I think it might cause problems with the individual who is unable to release their emotions in a natural way.

The best response I've heard regarding this question was from EJ Gold, who said:

"Real emotions are communicated by outward radiation of the mood, and originate through an awakened emotional center, which has no reverberational effects in other parts of the body, and is not necessary to verbally communicate the emotion.

Positive and negative emotion are subjective mental states occuring in reflex, and must be verbalized and elaborately described, explained, rationalized and mentally communicated and understood.

Those who can produce real emotions in themselves never communicate about emotional states in mental language; they just radiate the emotions, allowing the emotion to speak for itself.

In the presence of someone who is able to produce real emotion, we experience feelings - perhaps for the first time. Very often, someone who has awakened the higher Emotional Body and who has learned to radiate emotions becomes a celebrity-guru, and people gather like cattle to bathe in the higher emotions. These higher emotions are often mistaken for some mysterious cosmic force or interpreted in some pseudo-religious way, but really they are just emotions.

What a pity that human beings are so unaccustomed to emotion that they feel compelled to submissively huddle together in the warmth of the emotional radiation of someone just as mechanical as they are, but who happened to have activated, by accident, the higher Emotional Body."

I think you missed the rhetorical aspect of this thread... but that's okay, I would like to know if you can provide any examples of people who are alive who are capable of performing this emotion radiance, it would be interesting to learn more about it.

Aaron

...can words even express a feeling? Are those pressures really released through writing, or is it simply better to just allow them to release as they come up no matter the situation? Wouldn't that be truly living in the moment, letting the energy of each and every moment flow the way it intends to? Society sets up all these rules, restrictions, guidelines on how we must act in public, even how we must act in private to some degree; by rising above and letting the inner radiate outward, wouldn't we be truly living, never having to release pressure because pressure never arises.

The word heretic seems to come to mind, I feel as if I understand and appreciate the word a bit more.

Nice thoughts -

>> ... can words even express a feeling?<<<

I am often one to argue - no, words are never the thing, they are just a way of communicating, defining, approximating.

But I've recently been listening to some really beautiful words...

Poetry can express a feeling, poetry is not the thing but is a wonderful indicator.

Yes, it is a wonderful way to live - with spontaneity, with awareness, being full in every moment, pressure never needed because there are no walls, no restriction, only openness, awareness, presence... and absence. When I define myself by my skin and my thoughts, there is enormous pressure, resistance, rigidity. But when the skin dissolves and I occupy everything I see, feel, hear, touch, think, and beyond - then there is a vast open space, a wildness, a spontaneity, and naturalness.

Heretic - absolutely, also - mystic.

• Like 1

while it might be good for society overall I think it might cause problems with the individual who is unable to release their emotions in a natural way.

I agree. Although it seems like for some people, letting it all out has caused some problems as well.

Yes, it is a wonderful way to live - with spontaneity, with awareness, being full in every moment, pressure never needed because there are no walls, no restriction, only openness, awareness, presence... and absence. When I define myself by my skin and my thoughts, there is enormous pressure, resistance, rigidity. But when the skin dissolves and I occupy everything I see, feel, hear, touch, think, and beyond - then there is a vast open space, a wildness, a spontaneity, and naturalness.

Heretic - absolutely, also - mystic.

Thanks for that response steve, I appreciate it. Some really great insights there that I think a lot of people could benefit from, especially me. Like heretic, mystic seems very appropriate.

I think living spontaneously, letting things flow as they arise definitely needs to be eased into, at least if your on your own and have no real support. It seems like if one were to just jump into this sort of lifestyle, things could get shaky pretty fast not only within oneself but also with society in general. I know that from personal experience, while deep within my being it all seems like very positive change, easing into spontaneity has really confused a lot of my family and close friends. I have found a lot of people are uncomfortable with me just being, while it's not necessarily even big changes, the people who thought they had me pinpointed best just don't seem to understand.

Edited by don_vedo

Thank you.

I was wondering if somebody could put a negative spin on such a nice comment.

Yes, a wonderful example of what -K- was recently discussing about meaning beyond the words.

I'm confident that don_vedo's beautiful posts were an inspiration to at least one or two of us and nothing can stop that.

One can never dispel the darkness through violence or assault, verbal or otherwise.

One simply opens the window and allows the light to enter and there is no longer any foothold for darkness.

I think living spontaneously, letting things flow as they arise definitely needs to be eased into, at least if your on your own and have no real support. It seems like if one were to just jump into this sort lifestyle, things could get shaky pretty fast not only within oneself but also with society in general. I know that from personal experience, while deep within my being it all seems like very positive change, easing into spontaneity has really confused a lot of my family and close friends. I have found a lot of people are uncomfortable with me just being, while it's not necessarily even big changes, the people who thought they had me pinpointed best just don't seem to understand.

Moderation in all things, perhaps.

And real spontaneity only comes from the sensitivity and awareness that arises from the quiet inside.

And this is a place we can reside even in our mundane, daily existence where everyone thinks they have us figured out.

Enjoy your practice!

Sign in to follow this