Sign in to follow this  
Zany Heron

Role of Tao(ism) in society

What do you think: what kind of roles (could) have taoism / taoists in society?

I think taoism could bring peace and order to society.

Important "roles" are, for example: practicing healing arts, teaching philosophy; taoists could be fantastic mediators ("healing" wild arguments), etc.

My theory is: taoism is a valuable method that could make our world better. It's a bit utopistic idea, isn't it?

Well...

I'm talking about a "pragmatic view", of course. I'm a taoist too, so it's obvious to me that it is a "valuable method". The question is: Does society need taoism (practices)? Could taoists help for society?

It's a very important problem to me.

Taoism is a cultivation of the inner spirit by an individual. It was the self discipline in practicing the principles of Tao which brings peace to the world but not by preaching its gospel. IMO I don't think Taoists could be fantastic mediators due to their basic principle of Wu Wei.

Taoists did play a major role in counseling emperors many centuries ago. I agree Taoists would be a great benefit in the political science arena, urban planning, and pretty much every area of healing, teaching, economics. Anything that has a "science" or "arts" after it has been of interest in Taoist literature in some degree.

Taoists did play a major role in counseling emperors many centuries ago.

Yes, I agree, but it was only the emperors were willing to follow the principles of Tao and cultivated as one individual. IMO I don't think Taoists were suggesting any political measures.

Yes, I agree, but it was only the emperors were willing to follow the principles of Tao and cultivated as one individual. IMO I don't think Taoists were suggesting any political measures.

Well, they would consult masters of the I Ching and Feng Shui to decide actions or non-actions in battle, as well as social engineering and protecting reputation and political relationships. That pretty much encompasses the majority of politics, so I'd check that out again. Here's a great documentary on Wu Dang and the relationships with different emperors throughout history.

http://english.cntv.cn/english/special/wudang_cradle_of_taoism/homepage/index.shtml

Taoists were masters of political theory and philosophy, so it's natural that their services would be employed in the past. The emperors were not shy of magical power. The rulers of today are said to consult occult sciences too, but without much concern for divine consequences as is the case with their environmental and financial actions.

Well, they would consult masters of the I Ching and Feng Shui to decide actions or non-actions in battle, as well as social engineering and protecting reputation and political relationships. That pretty much encompasses the majority of politics, so I'd check that out again. Here's a great documentary on Wu Dang and the relationships with different emperors throughout history.

http://english.cntv.cn/english/special/wudang_cradle_of_taoism/homepage/index.shtml

Taoists were masters of political theory and philosophy, so it's natural that their services would be employed in the past. The emperors were not shy of magical power. The rulers of today are said to consult occult sciences too, but without much concern for divine consequences as is the case with their environmental and financial actions.

It seems they consult 'occult sciences' because, well, 'whatever works' right? If you have foreknowledge, or a way of finding it, well, need I explain?

The ones one ought to watch out for IMO are those with long term goals, who are willing to sacrifice personal interest and gain (including that of their loved-ones)to fulfill something 'greater than themselves'. The ones that intend to return to finish things.

I don't know if they do though.

It's like the other ones who have divine guidance behind them.

I think there are more of those than I'd like to think.

For me, taoism is a way (the way?) to follow the order of nature, the universe.

So that's why I think they could give good advices to politicians, etc..

I do wonder what went wrong with China because throughout a long part of their history they had Taoist and Buddhist influences at the highest parts of government so I would have thought it would make the country strong following such principles, but in reality it seemed to make them weak and vulnerable to outside inteference.

Ultimately the only person we have any control over is ourself.Most of us cannot even manage that very well.

Yes a Taoist Sage could offer all manner of good advice which could make our world a much better place. Good advice is not in short supply but the wisdom to apply it is sadly lacking. Taoism is the way of self cultivation, let us concentrate on that. It is a hard enough job trying to change ourselves without worrying about the world.

"Demand much of yourself and expect little of others.

Thus you will be spared much vexation."

Traditionally, Daoism had strongly political aspects:

(1) Both the Celestial Master and Supreme Peace lineages were in essence movements to create new societies based on theological principles.

(2) Most Chinese dynasties used Daoism to create political legitimacy. For instance, the Tang rulers saw themselves as descendants of Laozi. The Song rulers worshipped the Northern Emperor (Xuanwu) as the patron god of their dynasty.

Especially in the second sense, rulers in China used Daoism in the same way rulers in Europe used Catholicism. In the first sense, Daoism was a millenarian movement (like many Christian millenarian movements).

After the Song Dynasty, Daoism was marginalised by two trends:

(1) Neo-Confucianism created an exclusive, sectarian version of Confucianism, which was not entirely comfortable with Daoist influence. (Prior to Neo-Confucianism, most students of the Confucian Classics did not have a problem with Daoism. In fact, many Tang Dynasty Daoists were deeply conversant in the Confucian Classics. There was no clear division between Confucianism and Daoism prior to Neo-Confucianism.)

(2) Foreign rulers, e.g. the Mongols and the Manchus, did not favour Daoism. (This fact should be counterbalanced by the understanding that the first Daoist theocracy was established by the Tabgach. Non-Han nationalities were involved with Daoism from very early on.)

As a result of this marginalisation, Daoism, which originally flourished as an elite national faith, drifted downward to reside with the common people. Furthermore, the new Daoist lineages discarded aspects of their ancestral heritage to fit in better with Neo-Confucianism.

It should be kept in mind that even prior to modern Chinese history ("modern" defined here as post-1840), many minority nationalities also adopted Daoism. This process continued well toward the end of the Republican Era (1949). One should keep this in mind while determining how "missionary" traditional Daoism was. Different lineages had different strategies for propagation - Some lineages were very proactive in spreading their teachings.

Edited by Rainy_Day

Sadly 70 years of Communism in peoples republic of china really destroyed a great heritage. I have many colleague at work who are from China, graduates of some of the most prestigious universities in China. None know much about Taoism. Someone said only 1% of the people in china practice Taoism.

I think Taoism is too weird for mainstream America :)

One area that taoism may make some headway is in the area of healings. perhaps someday insurance companies will start to pay for qigong treatment, but it will take a long time given how poorly organised and fragmented qigong healers are.

taobums member fullotus favorite teacher, Chunyi Lin! I can't speak about his methods, but I give him a lot of credit for spreading the word about qigong. He has treated over 120,000 people. He has been recognised by the mayo clinic and some universities.

http://www.springforestqigong.com/index.htm

Sign in to follow this