Informer

What is GENERAL DISCUSSION?

If we are limited to only talking of our selves and not things that matter then what is the point in even having a "GENERAL FORUM" to discuss and yes, debate topics that are important to everyone?

I really don't take pleasure in talking about myself over important events and things that really matter in the world. Someone getting but hurt for losing a debate is hardly any reason to make up your own rules for what should be considered a General Discussion is it?

"Eclectic discussion across a wide range of spiritual thought and practice. As long as you are up for a good time and remain respectful, you're welcome to discuss your path."

• Like 3

I guess the well being of the planet isn't included in that. hmmm.

It certainly is.

In the context of spirituality, the health of the planet is a topic that would be reasonable in General Discussion.

In the context of a an argumentative political debate on the veracity of global warming and climate change, it belongs in Off Topic.

• Like 2

there are about 20 topics in the first 6 pages of this area -general discussion that

are not spiritual. World Peace is one example that was not moved. Global Revolution / World Peace.

Peace is some how more spiritual than revolution?

is that fishy smell coming from the back room the smell of "SPIRIT" or

the yet Sweeter-Scent of political Bias..?

• Like 1

It certainly is.

In the context of spirituality, the health of the planet is a topic that would be reasonable in General Discussion.

In the context of a an argumentative political debate on the veracity of global warming and climate change, it belongs in Off Topic.

Ah, you mean the thread where Joe challenged me to debate him, then lost and reported it?

We both agreed to debate a matter, what is it any business of yours? The matter is important to the planet, and all of our well being.

• Like 1

It certainly is.

the Global Revolution and ALL of its content including Riots and War is a deeply SPRITUAL subject

Ah, you mean the thread where Joe challenged me to debate him, then lost and reported it?

We both agreed to debate a matter, what is it any business of yours? The matter is important to the planet, and all of our well being.

+1

It is my business because I volunteered to moderate.

I stand behind my decision.

This is a political debate, not spiritual discussion.

It should stay in Off Topic, in my opinion.

If the other mods disagree, they are welcome to take additional action.

• Like 4

It is my business because I volunteered to moderate.

I stand behind my decision.

This is a political debate, not spiritual discussion.

It should stay in Off Topic, in my opinion.

If the other mods disagree, they are welcome to take additional action.

The title: Global Revolution should be on the front page no matter what.

If the thread deviated from the topic of a movement-of-the-people, then perhaps ask posters to incline their discussion towards a more "taoist" form of Global Revolution. This thread is a very important title to keep alive.. why not just change the track a little?

" And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all of them who sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,

And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves. "

and for the "spirited" Taoist

Lao Tzu (official head of this site and all Taoists -on Goverment:

GOVERNMENT

NOT exalting worth keeps the people from rivalry. Not prizing what is hard to procure keeps the people from theft. Not to show them what they may covet is the way to keep their minds from disorder.

Therefore the Sage, when he governs, empties their minds and fills their bellies, weakens their inclinations and strengthens their bones. His constant object is to keep the people without knowledge and without desire, or to prevent those who have knowledge from daring to act. He practises inaction, and nothing remains ungoverned.

He who respects the State as his own person is fit to govern it. He who loves the State as his own body is fit to be entrusted with it.

In the highest antiquity, the people did not know that they had rulers. In the next age they loved and praised them. In the next, they feared them. In the next, they despised them.

How cautious is the Sage, how sparing of his words! When his task is accomplished and affairs are prosperous, the people all say: "We have come to be as we are, naturally and of ourselves."

If any one desires to take the Empire in hand and govern it, I see that he will not succeed. The Empire is a divine utensil which may not be

p. 38

roughly handled. He who meddles, mars. He who holds it by force, loses it.

Fishes must not be taken from the water: the methods of government must not be exhibited to the people.

Use uprightness in ruling a State; employ stratagems in waging war; practise non-interference in order to win the Empire. Now this is how I know what I lay down:--

As restrictions and prohibitions are multiplied in the Empire, the people grow poorer and poorer. When the people are subjected to overmuch government, the land is thrown into confusion. When the people are skilled in many cunning arts, strange are the objects of luxury that appear.

The greater the number of laws and enactments, the more thieves and robbers there will be. Therefore the Sage says: "So long as I do nothing, the people will work out their own reformation. So long as I love calm, the people will right themselves. If only I keep from meddling, the people will grow rich. If only I am free from desire, the people will come naturally back to simplicity."

If the government is sluggish and tolerant, the people will be honest and free from guile. If the government is prying and meddling, there will be constant infraction of the law. Is the government corrupt? Then uprightness becomes rare, and goodness becomes strange. Verily, mankind have been under delusion for many a day!

Govern a great nation as you would cook a small fish. *

p. 39

If the Empire is governed according to Tao, disembodied spirits will not manifest supernatural powers. It is not that they lack supernatural power, but they will not use it to hurt mankind. Again, it is not that they are unable to hurt mankind, but they see that the Sage also does not hurt mankind. If then neither Sage nor spirits work harm, their virtue converges to one beneficent end.

In ancient times those who knew how to practise Tao did not use it to enlighten the people, but rather to keep them ignorant. The difficulty of governing the people arises from their having too much knowledge.

If the people do not fear the majesty of government, a reign of terror will ensue.

Do not confine them within too narrow bounds; do not make their lives too weary. For if you do not weary them of life, then they will not grow weary of you.

If the people do not fear death, what good is there in using death as a deterrent? But if the people are brought up in fear of death, and we can take and execute any man who has committed a monstrous crime, who will dare to follow his example?

Now, there is always one who presides over the infliction of death. He who would take the place of the magistrate and himself inflict death, is like one who should try to do the work of a master-carpenter. And of those who try the work of a master-carpenter there are few who do not cut their own hands.

The people starve because those in authority

p. 40

over them devour too many taxes; that is why they starve. The people are difficult to govern because those placed over them are meddlesome; that is why they are difficult to govern. The people despise death because of their excessive labour in seeking the means of life; that is why they despise death.

A Sage has said: "He who can take upon himself the nation's shame is fit to be lord of the land. He who can take upon himself the nation's calamities is fit to be ruler over the Empire."

Were I ruler of a little State with a small population, and only ten or a hundred men available as soldiers, I would not use them. I would have the people look on death as a grievous thing, and they should not travel to distant countries. Though they might possess boats and carriages, they should have no occasion to ride in them. Though they might own weapons and armour, they should have no need to use them. I would make the people return to the use of knotted cords. * They should find their plain food sweet, their rough garments fine. They should be content with their homes, and happy in their simple ways. If a neighbouring State was within sight of mine--nay, if we were close enough to hear the crowing of each other's cocks and the barking of each other's dogs--the two peoples should grow old and die without there ever having been any mutual intercourse.

Edited by bowowtao

Watever Steve, you're a hypocrite, not as an insult or an opinion even. As a fact.

Welcome to the definition of insult as defined by the policy. I can continue my utter destruction of catastrophic anthropogenic global warming as blamed on CO2 in off topic if you like - having a thread moved to the basement doesnt mean input cannot continue. Stop acting like a baby.

• Like 2

Greetings..

Seriously.. like everything else, chop it into finer pieces and soon only the butcher knows what's in the soup..

Life is a seamless whole, though seen from differing perspectives, it may appear fractured.. why is the title referencing 'Tao'? the micromanaging and baby-sitting is becoming daunting.. it's nice to know that the sun rises and sets on a fairly predictable schedule, it used to be nice to come here and know where the topics could be found.. ahh, yes, special interest groups and lobbyists will have their way..

The Global Revolution thread was one of the authentic discussions not oozing guru competitiveness.. it was nice to see people engaging Life (Tao), without the usual Buddhist intervention to save those that never needed saving anyhow..

Oh well.. some things are best left alone.. don't fix what ain't broke, and don't broke what don't need fixin'..

Be well..

• Like 4

Wow I didn't know there were actually any moderators on this forum. 75% of the discussions in the General Discussion is completely off-topic, random nonsense. I slap my forehead at least a couple of times just viewing the front page then proceed to log off pondering about full lotus pineal microwave powered orgasms, poisonous fungi to advance spirituality, global warming, the zeitgeist movement, ejaculation, how to become enlightened in one day, etc.

I AM LEARNING SO MUCH THANK YOU TOA BUMS.

Edited by Audiohealing
  • Like 1

Yeah but once a topic crosses that "shitstorm" threshold...at least Drew's pineal flexing has spiritual roots - Kyoto, politics, not so much.

• Like 1

Yeah but once a topic crosses that "shitstorm" threshold...at least Drew's pineal flexing has spiritual roots - Kyoto, politics, not so much.

The earth IS my Church and I find Kyoto Protocol to help us preserve it as bad as it is already become.

Maybe instead of dedicating General Forum to ADVERTISEMENTS AND PROFITEERING, you could make a separate forum for the ADDS. These people are not yours or anyones sheep.

Edited by Informer

It certainly is.

Again you prove to fail, as I attempted to make a different one to comply with these very words. Again you show a biased and censor me, moving and combining the separate thread.

Why won't you do what you say? You blatantly moved a separate thread intended to be on topic, so what was the point in saying anything? The above quoted words are obviously not what you meant or intended. It is obviously a lie.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/22108-global-revolution/page__st__752

There is a double standard going on here and it is against me personally and I want to know why.

Edited by Informer

Has it occurred to you that you are making a big deal over relatively nothing? Lashing out at whomever crosses you! And you've got the balls to tell me I've got problems with my heart? :lol:

• Like 2

You have been misleading from the get go Steve. Mr. MOD.

I will even prove your biased that I have long suspected.

Sent 11 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

I may well be biased and I am treating Hudun and Seth as I would treat anyone else.

I only mentioned they are longstanding members because you mistakenly called them new members in your report. Neither of them posted a personal insult. They were criticizing the veracity of the OP's statements and his knowledge of the subject matter, albeit a bit more aggressively than I think is necessary - still not reason to put their posts in the pit or consider harsher action. In any case, before I had an opportunity to take any action, mjjbecker did a very nice job of calling them out on their non-constructive and critical approach. I much prefer to see members police each other than to take action as a moderator. As much as possible, I like to see the board take care of itself - wu wei. It's only when the rules get broken that I feel obligated to intervene. I think you are looking for something that isn't there. What you see as a clique is really just my effort to engage in "hands off" moderation. And then again, I may be acting in a biased manner and not recognize it - I try to be very aware of that and to moderate fairly but I'm flawed."

I wasn't talking about Hundun and Seth in the report even, I was talking about Hundun and Seth giving the new guy swirlies. In the Wildgoose thread, even though their jabbing prevailed in the end.

<_<

Edited by Informer

General discussion is apparently where you go to start inane posts in order to try and assert your authority and dominance in a communal setting, because you feel slighted that your other posts were moved. Is that a moral value judgment? I sure hope not.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner
  • Like 3

Unfortunate people have to use a Proxy to even say something valid. Mini China right here :(

Looks like a " hot " subject. Why not have a poll that inquires abt whether global warming discussion deserves to be in the genrl ctgry?

Looks like a " hot " subject. Why not have a poll that inquires abt whether global warming discussion deserves to be in the genrl ctgry?

This is the defn, of Gen. Dis.

Eclectic discussion across a wide range of spiritual thought and practice. As long as you are up for a good time and remain respectful, you're welcome to discuss your path.

This is Off Topic

Found something that interests you? The 'bums are a loose knit group with varied but similar interests, so feel free to discuss it here.

Both are equally valid ... but there is less moderation in Off Topic.

General Discussion for spiritual thought and practice and Off Topic for everything else.

That's it.

• Like 1