skydog

Lucid dreaming, Astral projection and OBE

I was doing an exercise where I write every thought down and look at it seeing how it could be innaccurate, It was quite a profound experience. Got me to the point where even what I think I see and feel could just be a dream. So when I was dreaming, I started doing this too, and lucid dreamt for the first time.

I have several books about lucid dreaming/astral projection but consider it quite outside my abilities to even bother with yet, Im pretty sure Ive experienced another dimension under peyote and telepathy and OBE.

Can anyone astral project/lucid dream, how do you do it, do you think its worth doing or easy?

I was doing an exercise where I write every thought down and look at it seeing how it could be innaccurate, It was quite a profound experience. Got me to the point where even what I think I see and feel could just be a dream. So when I was dreaming, I started doing this too, and lucid dreamt for the first time.

I have several books about lucid dreaming/astral projection but consider it quite outside my abilities to even bother with yet, Im pretty sure Ive experienced another dimension under peyote and telepathy and OBE.

Can anyone astral project/lucid dream, how do you do it, do you think its worth doing or easy?

it is always worth doing and never easy

-dale

• Like 3

I've been fascinated by lucid dreaming since college after reading some of Stephen LaBerge's work 20 years ago. I've had some limited success, but nothing consistent or controllable. Recently I found a semi recent LaBerge book, from Sounds True, complete with CD.

I'd been working on the spiritual side of Lucidity, but LaBerge's roots are academic, he's a PH.D who ran sleep lab at Stanford u. and did some of the first scientific work on lucid dreaming; actually training oneirauts and finding ways to send messages back and forth to lucid dreamers.

In the book his favorite 'tell' (vs. Castenada's hands) is looking at things twice, particular writing, but anything will do. In dreams reality is less anchored, thus things change from look to look. I guess the advantage is the 'tell' is everywhere and everything, not hands or outrageousness.

His guided meditations in it are very interesting. From a relatively standard relaxation start to the constant question 'Who is Aware' (followed by a gong!?), he puts you on a beach drawing numbers from 100 down with each breath whilst waves erase them. Later you breath in, out through an open mouth, a butterfly escapes, you become it, and go on to a dream state.

It hasn't worked consciously for me yet, but I've only had the book for a week. Interestingly I didn't register the the butterfly part til I'd listened to it 3 times which means I was too far gone to have it register consciously.

In any case, its a good book (Lucid Dreaming A concise Guide to Awakening ..), $6 from Half Price Books.

While not easy, I think lucidity is the most attainable of psychic (if you could call it that) Siddhis. I believe it can open the doorway to a wide variety of knowledge. Its a double edge sword though. Sleep is an important necessity. Training tends to screw up mine and I'm reminded a traditional Taoist goal is long deep dreamless sleep.

Still one thing at a time. I'll work on long and dreamless once I've gotten lucidity under my belt.

Lucid dreaming comes more naturally when a person lives lucidily during the waking hours,which can lead to meditative states during the sleep and astral travel.

A friend who is very much so into lucid dreaming reccomeneded me this book as that is her main tool for dreaming practises.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucid-Dreaming-Gateway-Inner-Self/dp/193049114X

Havent read it and dont know much about the author, but it looks good so far .haha That was very sharp description.

Anyway here is his video too:

• Like 1

Lucid dreaming comes more naturally when a person lives lucidily during the waking hours,which can lead to meditative states during the sleep and astral travel.

A friend who is very much so into lucid dreaming reccomeneded me this book as that is her main tool for dreaming practises.

Havent read it and dont know much about the author, but it looks good so far .haha That was very sharp description.

Hey thks for that Robert Waggoner vid -- cool talk. Yeah this book Transcendent Dreaming by Christina Donnell claims to go beyond lucid dreaming -- http://www.christinadonnell.com/index.php?product_id=17&page=shop.product_details&category_id=6&flypage=flypage.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=10 It's won awards - a fascinating read.

I've had more precognitive dreams than lucid dreams but once I was in full lotus listening to Coasttocoastam at night -- the radio show -- and this dude called in saying he thought he felt someone watching him in his sleep -- like a heavy weight on him and then he woke up. So then I knew right away that was not someone else but his own spirit. So then I fell asleep in full lotus and sure enough I "woke up" wondering what was that person over there -- I could feel their weight but knew it was not me. But then I realized I was looking at me from out of my body and then instantly I went back into my body.

When my chi energy was very strong I accidentally pulled this old lady's spirit out of the top of her head without touching her. She had asked me to do a healing on her and she sat in a chair and I stood to her side and I accidentally pulled the energy blockage of the top center of her skull without touching her. I felt this heavy electromagnetic blob get pulled out of the top of her skull and right when I felt it -- even though she couldn't see what I was doing -- she immediately stated bawling and she bawled non-stop for at least 15 minutes.

So it's the chi energy that powers the lucid dream -- Robert Monroe of his OBE teaching -- Robert Monroe relied on his stomach energy to have his OBEs.

Anyway that Christina Donnell trains in qigong and tai chi and then her dreams became not only precognitive but also physically transformative.

Then so the summer before last I had a precognitive dream that I knew came true when I went up north to visit my uncle. The energy up north is much more pure so Chunyi Lin likes to have his retreats for Level 4 rainbow healing up by Lake Superior. So I had not been to his retreats up north but he has them every year there. So this was the first time I got to do up north and when I got to my uncle's cabin on this lake in the woods -- suddenly I realized I had dreamt of this cabin even though I had never seen it before. I had have enough precognitive dreams now so I am not too surprised when it happens -- but in my dream I was hovering - flying over the house -- looking at it from a distance.

Anyway so then I was kind of fasting -- I did a four day fast to prepare to visit my uncle and aunt so my energy was purified and then the energy up north was so much more pure so when I went to sleep I had a flying dream. When I have flying dreams -- I realize I am flying in the dream and it is fun but it doesn't seem quite lucid. I just kind of observe what is happening. But in this dream I very consciously realized that I was dreaming -- and so then I actually said -- yeah since this is a dream then I can fly -- and said to the people around me -- watch this. Then I just started floating and hovering and stuff in the dream. Then I woke myself up.

Usually when I dream then when the dream becomes "real" -- in Taoism it's taught there is one dream that is real which is the nocturnal emission - so in my dream when I start flirting with females then suddenly I will remember my qigong practice. I will go into full lotus in the dream or I will get anger at what is happening and then I just wake myself up from the dream. Or if I start to have an emission I wake myself up before it happens and just flex my PC muscle and then go into full lotus -- without losing any fluid. But anyway that means that I did not properly sublimate and purify my energy before I went to sleep.

Yeah I would say that when the waking state becomes more like a dream then the dreams become more like the waking state. But the first precognitive dream I had -- was in 1995 and the dream was more real than being awake. I woke up at 2:30 am and immediately wrote the dream down in my journal that I thought the dream would come true and the dream was my earth first! activist friends standing on the roof of a house holding a banner and standing with Native Americans and the banner was to protect a wooded area. Very specific. THREE YEARS later - long after I had forgotten writing down that journal entry -- I look at a photocopy of a newspaper photo that is exactly the same as the above dream. I get this strange deja vu feeling and then I drive to my parents house and I read through my old journal. Voila -- I find my journal entry from three years before.

So that really freaked me out -- how can I have a dream that comes true very specifically -- but the dream is three years before. What does that mean about our waking state? haha.

Edited by fulllotus

1. We all do while asleep.

2. Being aware of it: difficult. It's a siddhi.

3. Astral projection: you transfer your consciousness to your projected double, but this one operates in the astral plane.

3. OBE: more difficult to attain than astral projection since you are operating in real-time and not in the astral; however an OBE can turn into an astral projection, especially if you try to move from our physical plane to another as you'll have to cross a buffer zone which can lead you into the astral instead of a real dimension, i.e. devas realms. This requires a lot of effort, mindfulness, desire to achieve it and PRACTICE.

Celibacy and living in a very relaxed environment are a must since you'll need as much energy and quiet as possible.

4. You can move from lucid dreaming to a real OBE: also difficult.

I highly recommend this book because it works you all the way up from the very beginning to the attainment of astral projection or OBE. It requires a lot of work, but as you know "the greatest efforts lead to the greatest results."

If you want to purchase it instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Astral-Projection-Out-Body/dp/0738704679

The training provided in the book draws from techniques used in "insight meditation/Vipassana", so you'll be killing two birds with one stone.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

I found the book to be amazing. What I like about it is how he talks about and suggests the reader/ dreamer work with "dream figures." I found myself remembering more dreams as I read the book and culminating with a lucid dream, my first in a few years. Curiously though I found the techniques at the phase to be both simple and very effective, although I haven't been able to devote as much time to it as I would like. At the ob4u website the author feels that the lucid dream and an obe are different stages of the same experience.

Edited by tumoessence

Curiously though I found the techniques at the phase to be both simple and very effective, although I haven't been able to devote as much time to it as I would like. At the ob4u website the author feels that the lucid dream and an obe are different stages of the same experience.

Thanks for the link, obe4u.com has some nice information. Just printed out pages 5 through 24 of there online book for further studhy. Looks good.

1. We all do while asleep.

2. Being aware of it: difficult. It's a siddhi.

3. Astral projection: you transfer your consciousness to your projected double, but this one operates in the astral plane.

3. OBE: more difficult to attain than astral projection since you are operating in real-time and not in the astral; however an OBE can turn into an astral projection, especially if you try to move from our physical plane to another as you'll have to cross a buffer zone which can lead you into the astral instead of a real dimension, i.e. devas realms. This requires a lot of effort, mindfulness, desire to achieve it and PRACTICE.

Celibacy and living in a very relaxed environment are a must since you'll need as much energy and quiet as possible.

4. You can move from lucid dreaming to a real OBE: also difficult.

I highly recommend this book because it works you all the way up from the very beginning to the attainment of astral projection or OBE. It requires a lot of work, but as you know "the greatest efforts lead to the greatest results."

If you want to purchase it instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Astral-Projection-Out-Body/dp/0738704679

The training provided in the book draws from techniques used in "insight meditation/Vipassana", so you'll be killing two birds with one stone.

Best of luck.

Yeah when Robert Bruce says spinning -- it is fascinating because he says to focus on the sensation of spinning inside your body and then the room will be spinning around you. I had this happen when my chi was really strong and I was in full lotus and the room was spinning around me. Freaked me out. I didn't realize that this is actually the first step for astral travel. But actually in the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" it states that if you haven't developed the chi energy strong enough yet and also the spirit energy strong enough then it will cause dizziness if you try to leave your body too soon. So then the focus should go back to the lower tan tien. Robert Bruce also makes the different of etheric astral travel versus normal astral travel -- and the etheric astral travel I experience all the time -- I can read the jing energy blockages around me in my own body -- so I can "travel" through the ceiling, etc. --

• Like 1

Hey thks for that Robert Waggoner vid -- cool talk. Yeah this book Transcendent ..

The Christina Donell book looks interesting too.

Yeah I specifically remeber one dream where I got out of my body in the room where I slept and looking at my body. And than trying to walk through the wall becouse I realised that I am in astral, but my conditioning that time about not being able to walk through the wall was stronger and I never suceeded.

I have lucid dreams quite often , maybe not always 100% lucid. They often progress into some places and people/beings I have never met in waking life. There are some places I go and visit in the dreams often, like a favourute nature spot.

Also what I discovered latley is when realising that :this is a dream , just to realise it so deepley ,looking with the strong intention to understand, so it literally 'wipes off' and what is left is clear state of mind , a background/playground for the manifestation. And meditation starts.

Everything is so interconnected and dreams influnce waking too. What some lucid dreamers are working with is using dreams to create a more fullfing life. For example learning new skills or materilising ones goals in a dream can have effect to a waking life.

Youve mentioned a precognative dream and it being freaky. This is true. Here is my expirience.

One time when I did loads of spiritual practises for extended period I started to get into this hightened awarness state , but definetley not mentally ready for it.

Than I had a dream , well it was like a vision of some sort. First there was a cry for help that I heard while still aware of my rooms surrounding with the eyes closed in bed, that cry led me to this place a buliding . It started to get so very eery, one could feel the deeply disturbing , dark astral atmosphere. The boys voice is crying and there was this two people. I think they killed the boy in the dream/vison.This was so scary and feeling real, that I minimised my meditations for years after.

I am not saying my conclusion is true and real but even the potential is too scary.

Anyway few years ago when I moved into area , first day when I cycled to work I saw that building form a dream! Cold sweat , I could not belive it. So creepy.

Thanks for sharing , it is always interesting to read about others expirience. I have already read about you pulling a spirit out of ladys head before few times . Whats that all about? Like an exsorcisam? Or?

Edited by suninmyeyes

The Christina Donell book looks interesting too.

Yeah I specifically remeber one dream where I got out of my body in the room where I slept and looking at my body. And than trying to walk through the wall becouse I realised that I am in astral, but my conditioning that time about not being able to walk through the wall was stronger and I never suceeded.

I have lucid dreams quite often , maybe not always 100% lucid. They often progress into some places and people/beings I have never met in waking life. There are some places I go and visit in the dreams often, like a favourute nature spot.

Also what I discovered latley is when realising that :this is a dream , just to realise it so deepley ,looking with the strong intention to understand, so it literally 'wipes off' and what is left is clear state of mind , a background/playground for the manifestation. And meditation starts.

Everything is so interconnected and dreams influnce waking too. What some lucid dreamers are working with is using dreams to create a more fullfing life. For example learning new skills or materilising ones goals in a dream can have effect to a waking life.

Youve mentioned a precognative dream and it being freaky. This is true. Here is my expirience.

One time when I did loads of spiritual practises for extended period I started to get into this hightened awarness state , but definetley not mentally ready for it.

Than I had a dream , well it was like a vision of some sort. First there was a cry for help that I heard while still aware of my rooms surrounding with the eyes closed in bed, that cry led me to this place a buliding . It started to get so very eery, one could feel the deeply disturbing , dark astral atmosphere. The boys voice is crying and there was this two people. I think they killed the boy in the dream/vison.This was so scary and feeling real, that I minimised my meditations for years after.

I am not saying my conclusion is true and real but even the potential is too scary.

Anyway few years ago when I moved into area , first day when I cycled to work I saw that building form a dream! Cold sweat , I could not belive it. So creepy.

Thanks for sharing , it is always interesting to read about others expirience. I have already read about you pulling a spirit out of ladys head before few times . Whats that all about? Like an exsorcisam? Or?

Actually Chunyi Lin taught us to never pull the energy blockages directly out of the center of the top of the skull -- even though we are not touching the person. I didn't take this seriously and i didn't know what would happen and also I didn't realize how strong my chi energy was compared to the lady's. BAsically I had just finished my intensive bigu qi feast for a week on just half a glass of water and had just finished the LEvel 3 retreat and then Chunyi Lin's assistant asked me to share my experience of training with the group -- and then the lady asked me to do a healing on her. She knew I felt bad but there was nothing we could do. Everything left as it was the end of the healing practice session so we both left and she was still crying but someone came to comfort her. So then I went downstairs and I saw my college friend and I said you will not believe what just happened. Then right then the old lady came walking towards us still bawling with someone having their arm around her. But then I saw her again at another session and she smiled at me so I knew she had forgiven me and that it was just an honest mistake on my part. But that along with the astral travel spinning experience and also when I healed my mom she screamed at me bloody murder - super anger until I ate food. So I stuffed food down but it was very traumatic -- but I realized I was exorcising her alcoholism anger of her liver. At the time I didn't know that was what happened so she called me two weeks later and said she no longer needed her surgical stockings and she didn't need to keep her legs elevated. I had healed her -- she said the last healing was the "difference between night and day." haha. So I guess that comment fits into the astral travel dreaming bit. When I healed her it was like a dream -- very strong electromagnetic energy came out of me and then she actually got so sleepy I had her lie down on the bed and she fell asleep. Looking back I realize it was a very beautiful loving experience but it was right after she screamed at me bloody murder. So she asked me for another healing two weeks later and I said that I had stopped practicing because she had screamed at me so badly and she said that I was just lazy. haha. Now knowing why she had screamed - that I had exorcised her evil spirit -- that she had been possessed -- I realize that I was actually lazy but I just didn't understand. haha. So we learn but the lessons are very strong and it can take a long time to recover -- I have never built up my energy like it was for those two weeks.

I played with lucid dreaming for a year seven years ago.

I'd try to remember my dream when I woke up. The more I could remember, the better. Because dreams tend to repeat itself. When you're in a place that you can remember, you should ask yourself "am I dreaming?". Once you realized that you're in a dream, don't wake up. If you do wake up, don't panic. Try to go back to sleep and pick up from where you left in your dream.

Once you know you're in a dream. It's easy to control the dream. It's like second nature. Intuively we know how to be the director of our dreams.

At beginning, it was fun. I was flying around like superman. I had some sexual fantasy filled. I'd change the scenery. I'd control the weather in my dreams. I felt like God.

I also had OBE.

I think I was out of control in my dreams. Finally a scary monstor confronted me. I couldn't kill it. I couldn't change it. I couldn't escape from it. I was so scared that I didn't dare to do lucid dream ever. In a matter of fact, I didn't dare to dream for a year !!!!!!

I suspect the dream land is real. There are rules that one should respect.

I don't if the tibet dream yoga is similar to lucid dreaming.

Another good book I have read recently is this

Master of lucid dreaming

http://www.amazon.co...54350706&sr=8-1

It doesent contain dreaming techniques and its not a manual , but it is very interesting and talks about lucidity from a very interesting point of view.

ed :to add that anyone wishing to lucid dream can just try become more lucid during the day and do meditation before sleep an that will definetly result in more and more lucid dreams and being aware of obe and such , plus meditating in the sleep... Lucidity slowly and irregulary starts overtaking replacing old ways of being.

Edited by suninmyeyes

Yeah when Robert Bruce says spinning -- it is fascinating because he says to focus on the sensation of spinning inside your body and then the room will be spinning around you. I had this happen when my chi was really strong and I was in full lotus and the room was spinning around me. Freaked me out. I didn't realize that this is actually the first step for astral travel. But actually in the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" it states that if you haven't developed the chi energy strong enough yet and also the spirit energy strong enough then it will cause dizziness if you try to leave your body too soon. So then the focus should go back to the lower tan tien. Robert Bruce also makes the different of etheric astral travel versus normal astral travel -- and the etheric astral travel I experience all the time -- I can read the jing energy blockages around me in my own body -- so I can "travel" through the ceiling, etc. --

wow! have you read any of carlos casteneda? i started with his books on the art of dreaming, then bought robert bruces book astral dynamics years ago. i also bought that other book he did with this other guy cant remember his name THE 90 DAY GUIDE TO ASTRAL PROJECTION. i have those affermations on my ipod and listen to them when i work out. those books helped me alot . waking up within the dream is still a little hard but obe is pretty easy i often go from one to the other. do you practice neikung? since ive made it to a certain level of practice ive been able to reach places i wasnt able to before. and some are well youll just have to go there for yourelf. visit this website and read the tablets if you wish or unless you have already one of the places he speaks of i realized i had been going to and had ben called to since my youth. if you are pretty good at astral projection you will find more than you can imagin there. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/thot/esp_thot_1.htm

i believe i have accomplished it once or twice. my only proof being that i went to a grocery store and read ingredients on a label and got them correct when i verified the next day.

Basically what happens to me when i did it, is that i catch myself in the half awake half asleep state. i was completely aware of my body and its sensations, but i was in an extremely vivid lucid dream. Other times i was just asleep. the part of me that is traveling doesn't have a body but is just a point, and i can see more around me than in my body

i did it by pulling energy/blood to my brain before going to sleep, and i got results in 1-2 months with lucidity constantly increasing as long as i never missed a day. i learned how to do this here: http://www.jamesclai...occult.html Honestly i think just doing the first one alone is good for the first half a year to a year, the other ones can be a little too much to handle. Also don't do this if you can't lower energy out of the head PERFECTLY on command. It will work. You will lucid dream and astral project, but during the day you will be constantly tripping and cause yourself a lot of grief. If you aren't prepared for this YOU WILL HURT YOURSELF. You will feel like crap and you wont get restful sleep. But i believe in letting people make their own mistakes so if you are going to do it anyways, PM me and i'll give you all i know about damage prevention in this practice, but i haven't mastered it and that's why i don't do it anymore.

Edit - for some reason TTB doesn't like that link, and you have to click another link on the page it takes you to. Or just google "james clair lewis, mental yoga, occult exercises"

Edit again - okay now it is working? wth...

Edited by Flolfolil

Lucid Dreamin is nothing but to see astral planes like a medium does and remember after waking up. In fact, everybody has the power to change astral planes with thoughts. Even if you do not see it, since you are not a medium, believe that you can.

Edited by Recep Ivedik

I'm not saying that this isn't an interesting topic or that you should abandon this, but being that this is a forum about Taoism and energy work let me tell you a story that gives a slightly different perspective. I've heard this story a few times so it is probably fairly wide spread. Anyhow it goes like this.

A young monk goes up to the abbott of the monastery--it is unclear whether this is a Buddhist or Taoist monastery. Anyhow the young monk approaches the abbott and tells him about all of the visions and cool experiences he is having while he does his daily meditation practice. The abbott smiles and nods as he listens to the young monk. When the young monk finishes his talk the abbott pats him on the shoulder and in a kind voice says, "Don't worry. Just keep doing your meditation. Eventually that sort of thing will go away." What the abbott meant is that these visions, astral projection, siddhis and such were distractions from the basic goal in the monastery of spiritual evolution.

You aren't in a monastery, but don't get too distracted or obsessed by this sort of thing. Its interesting and cool, but there are other things that are past it that are way cooler.

• Like 1

yeh I was tripping out the other day while fasting I thought it was kind of cool but I really preffered the empty it was starting to get annoying, still Im sure that it may be cool to remote view, play with the astral world, go back in time/future...(maybe)

You aren't in a monastery, but don't get too distracted or obsessed by this sort of thing. Its interesting and cool, but there are other things that are past it that are way cooler.

Sometimes, cliche is useful "life is a journey, not a destination"

We're not in a race to reach crossline. we're on a trip to explore the world and redicover ourselves. Each one of us has unique DNA, such different characters, and different path.

If our creator wanted us to go straight home, he wouldn't created so many "distractions".

Edited by hydrogen
  • Like 2

yeh I was tripping out the other day while fasting I thought it was kind of cool but I really preffered the empty it was starting to get annoying, still Im sure that it may be cool to remote view, play with the astral world, go back in time/future...(maybe)

Eat something already!

Your mother made borek.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Eat something already!

Your mother made borek.

Eat something already!

Your mother made borek.

My dad my psychic friend, Im definately going to not overeat and be more relaxed and desireless...fasting and is very powerful although i much prefer gentleness...coincidentally I learn about gentleness and self kindness from the pains of things like fasting and vipassana...all is good :D