Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

Get 'em started when they're young!

3e7253da.jpg

12 weeks and she's nailed her first riff!!

I've noticed that she really digs the basic major scales. Her smiles wane when I hit the minor riffs.

Edited by Encephalon

Awesome!! Kids are great, they soak it all up - teach them well! The toughest thing is keeping on them, keeping ahead of them. Dont let her start off fast and then realize she doesnt have to exert much effort to do as well as everyone else, it makes for laziness :D Fine line to walk, good luck!!

Awesome!! Kids are great, they soak it all up - teach them well! The toughest thing is keeping on them, keeping ahead of them. Dont let her start off fast and then realize she doesnt have to exert much effort to do as well as everyone else, it makes for laziness :D Fine line to walk, good luck!!

It's encouraging that a good deal of contemporary child-rearing theory is now on board with the sentiment of "Praise effort, not achievement," and has jettisoned the practice of stoking false esteem.

I dont agree with praise effort not achievement. Achievement is the fruition of effort - divorcing one from the other simply allows one to claim he is putting forth effort and it doesnt really matter what the outcome is. However, having achievement without effort is vacuous and doesnt really confer much aside from "you need to be challenged much further than you have been." Divorcing the two concepts leads to stoking false esteem.

Or do outcomes not matter? :D This is your kids, of course results matter, but they are not the be all end all. Teach your kids to set a goal and achieve it, to work hard getting there, and not be smug about the result - but of course dont dismiss or make excuses for the result and dont sugar coat it either /\

I dont agree with praise effort not achievement. Achievement is the fruition of effort - divorcing one from the other simply allows one to claim he is putting forth effort and it doesnt really matter what the outcome is. However, having achievement without effort is vacuous and doesnt really confer much aside from "you need to be challenged much further than you have been." Divorcing the two concepts leads to stoking false esteem.

Or do outcomes not matter? :D This is your kids, of course results matter, but they are not the be all end all. Teach your kids to set a goal and achieve it, to work hard getting there, and not be smug about the result - but of course dont dismiss or make excuses for the result and dont sugar coat it either /\

Yeah, I'm with you, outcomes matter. I blew the slogan to pieces - it was supposed to read "Praise children for their efforts, not intelligence or talent."

Sign in to follow this