Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

what magazines do you read?

I'm making a list o' rags I want to submit articles to, and so far just have five on my list. Was wondering what taobums are reading.

If you are researching on getting your stuff published, I can say from experience that it is not easy getting it done by just submitting your article works to magazines of choice (speaking generally). It is possible that they may use them, but often they have their issues predetermined and scheduled way ahead of time with all the subjects of their choosing in advance. If you send to them they may not see the light of day in the publication, or if they do it may take quite a bit of time. I know that there are alot of free-range type magazines out there that are just waiting to get some work from freelance artists out there, but then again they are not the big time ones and will hardly ever pay you for such, just offer credibility (and that's not always a certainty, either) but those may not be your particular aim. This is not to say that your works are not so profound and powerful that you'll blow them away, but it's just the general procedure. :D At any rate ... I would be interested if you would let us know of your successes & the like.

If you are wanting some money for it, it would be in your interest to pick up the newest year issue of "The Writers Market" from your local Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc. They offer all the 'classifieds' for work desired for locations all over the U.S., and sometimes abroad. It's a good source for writing work !!

8 years ago I'd started out and now I submit around 10 works a month to various locations for magazines all over the continental U.S. They pay around 2-7 cents/word, depending on cumulative senority and ability. For example, the Missouri Poetry Quarterly pays me really well when I send them something because I've been submitting to their bi-annual needs for almost 6 years now. Some other sources like Writer's Digest, Weird magazine, WasteAge, Sure Start, & Food Review have used some of my material. One thing, though, not every place you send writing to will place your name with it for credit. Often more than not, if they pay you for your stuff they take all the rights and can do with it as they wish.

Also I've done a couple of big articles for a good friend for websites. There are still some in the making.

For the most part, it's not the highest-rewarding process, lots of work and awesome ability with little pay, but if you enjoy it, you can also find great satisfaction in seeing your work being passed around for others to see and find equal enjoyment. Or you could always fork out the dough and publish books of your own ...

There's nothing like the feeling you get when looking at stuff that contains the fruit of your labor & mind.

Go for it !!!!

:D

Edited by TwoTrees

I'm making a list o' rags I want to submit articles to, and so far just have five on my list. Was wondering what taobums are reading.

Yoga Journal rocks..

Let's see... I've been published in Sacred Fire (working on a second piece), the Journal of Aesthetics and Protest (just one piece), Clamor (a couple pieces, working on a third) and I have tons of friends who have been published in Bitch and Bust so I'm looking into those two. I was a Nat'l Teen Correspondent for blue jean magazine and was published in their book as well, but they are defunct now. What else... Oh, I've done lots of proofreading and editing for books and magazines and am looking into doing it for college dissertations. Most recently I did proofreading for the book Predatory Bureaucracy. I've also done ad solicitations for Clamor and the EF Journal... oh yeah, EF published a ton of my stuff, back when I was into that. I've been published in tons of zines and underground rags (the Conscientious Objector, Sandpaper, stuff like that.) Most of these are unpaid, but I have gotten some cash for articles (never more than $100) but mostly am just doing it for fun. I've never given away anything other than first print rights, and I've done a lot of work on websites. I'm actually not a big Writer's Market fan...would rather see the mag I want to submit. I like theme-based submissions and trying to find things that "fit."

Thanks for the mag names guys, keep 'em coming!

Actually, getting a magazine like Yoga Journal or Runners World can help keep nice habits together. I do read Yoga Journal in the library every so often. I get Runners World. Mrs Yoda gets Harpers and NY Times. We both read National Geographic, Discover, Popular Science and sometimes Scientific American. I'm going to subscribe to Scientific American Mind at some point. Sounds cool. Have subscribed to Mother Jones in the past. Mrs Yoda gets a quarterly poetry magazine, but I forget it's name. It's a standard one. She'd like to submit poetry to a magazine someday.

It's great that you and Two Trees and Michael and Plato are active writers!! I'd like to be an active writer at some point. Daddy Yoda has just written a book recently and would like to write a book someday too. I'm keeping an almost daily journal... so that's a start!

My next carreer will involve daily writing in one form or another.

Oh, and I get PC World. In this issue, it says that blurb.com and lulu.com are good to know about for anyone interested in self publishing. It sounds like lulu.com is a better deal and your book will be sold on amazon.

I too was wondering if there were any Daoist print magazines that appear on a regular basis. Running through the list it seems to basically be:

Empty Vessel Journal of Contemporary Taoism

and

Qi magazine

Those two are it? Is Empty Vessel still publishing? Their website seems to have ended in 2003? Is the old Buddhist magazine Tricycle still around? Do they ever do Daoist related pieces?

(these questions may seem odd, but I have been gone from America for 14 years now so it has been awhile since I saw an American newsstand!)

What about on the scholarly side? I guess Philosophy East and West is still around. There was another journal called (I think) Daoist Resources but it died right?

take care,

Brian

Sign in to follow this