Evre

Eager to learn

I have had a copy of Tao Te Ching with me since I was 19. I am 25 now, and never really understood that well, until, I bought the annotated translation by Derek Lin a couple days ago. Almost all the way through it and I am very impressed with the insight Tao Te Ching provides when it's ancient verses are put into perspective. I intend on memorizing it, and I'm also buying his book "The Tao of Success".

I have a lot of questions however. And I probably always will. I think that's the beauty of the Tao, it's an ever deepening mystery, an eternal path. Is this the right place for my quetions? Why is it called "The Tao Bums". Doesn't "Bum" imply lazinness, which is contrary to the disicplined practice of tao cultivation?

When you are the laziest bum among a group of smart and talented people, you can learn from them

If you're also smart and talented, then you're just wasting your time with them :lol:

Doesn't "Bum" imply lazinness, which is contrary to the disicplined practice of tao cultivation?

There is a Taoist form of "laziness", which doesn't have the negative connotations...where you don't have to try for Tao cultivation. In fact, effort is the opposite of (this form of) cultivation.

Wu wei. Ziran. Shangde, or "superior virtue". I'm sure there are some other awesome Chinese words for it.

Basically 'letting go'.

It's challenging to understand this without experiencing it...and you can experience it through practicing the ways of the Tao.

It's unlike laziness, because it doesn't point to neglecting one's duties. It just means: doing what you feel is good. Doing what's natural to who you are. Being yourself.

I think it also points to skillful action, without anything unnecessary, such as worrying. Just do it!

• Like 1

Wu wei. Ziran. Shangde, or "superior virtue". I'm sure there are some other awesome Chinese words for it.
Thank you, that explains the expression. I know it's hard to explain, but I think I have experienced it every so often. I may be mistaken. But it's a good feeling when things happen with little effort, but nothing seems to be missing at the same time.

its a play on a jack kerouac piece called dharma bums about a group of spiritual dabblers

Cool, I never read him, but heard he wrote the bible of hippies.

When you are the laziest bum among a group of smart and talented people, you can learn from them

If you're also smart and talented, then you're just wasting your time with them

Good point!

Anyway, glad to be here. I enjoy discussing positive things. It's easier to put them into practice once you've learned about them, heard stories, scriptures, etc...

Heh. When I was 19 I was going to work at the 'wrong' time of day one day.. ie I worked odd hours. I'd slept in, had a bath, read a lot, put on my 'weird' assortment of clothes and washed my 'weird' dual coloured hair and was strolling off to the bus while everyone was at work or school and I thought "I hope I bum around always" because I appreciated not having to be doing the same time frame and clothing rules as very often one does, the streets were more spacious, the traffic lighter, and having found a little space for myself with air to breathe and room to think at my own pace, and to dress however I chose and have changeable hair.

a little space to choose how you want to be, at any given time, and to create something thoughtful

bum around: it's not just diarrhoea.