taooneusa

Quinoa and tryptamine

I tried Quinoa yesterday and had an experience like from certain practices where becoming extremely drowsy. This was similar to supplemental tryptaphane except with out side effect and the drowsiness was a positive or seemingly beneficial feeling. I haven't done research yet except to read that it contains tryptamine/tryptaphane and has no glutamine. Wondering if anybody else uses this as a food staple. The effect was so pronounced I thought maybe it is more bio available form or higher concentration than average? Also read it was and Inka food staple.

quinoa-field.png

found this: Nutrients in 100 grams of Quinoa Unit Amount % More Of In Than Nutrient Measure Quinoa Wheat Food energy KCal: 374 113% Total lipid (fat) Gms: 5.8 302% Carbohydrate, by diff. Gms: 68.9 101% Ttl monounsaturated fat Gms: 1.535 506% Ttl polyunsaturated fat Gms: 2.347 306% Riboflavin Mg : 0.396 360% Folacin Mcg: 49 113% Potassium Mg : 740 217% Calcium Mg : 60 240% Phosphorus Mg : 410 123% Magnesium Mg : 210 169% Iron Mg : 9.25 256% Zinc Mg : 3.3 118% Pantothenic acid Mg : 1.047 111% Copper Mg : 0.82 200% Oleic acid (18:1) Gms: 1.525 646% Linoleic acid (18:2/n6) Gms: 2.214 304% Lysine Gms: 0.734 181% Methionine Gms: 0.262 113% Arginine Gms: 0.918 130% Tryptophan Gms: 1.100 580%

Edited by taooneusa

I eat quinoa fairly regularly, and in the past week it has pretty much been my staple grain and I have not ever noticed becoming extraordinary tired because of it. just my 2 pesos.

found this: Nutrients in 100 grams of Quinoa Unit Amount % More Of In Than Nutrient Measure Quinoa Wheat Food energy KCal: 374 113% Total lipid (fat) Gms: 5.8 302% Carbohydrate, by diff. Gms: 68.9 101% Ttl monounsaturated fat Gms: 1.535 506% Ttl polyunsaturated fat Gms: 2.347 306% Riboflavin Mg : 0.396 360% Folacin Mcg: 49 113% Potassium Mg : 740 217% Calcium Mg : 60 240% Phosphorus Mg : 410 123% Magnesium Mg : 210 169% Iron Mg : 9.25 256% Zinc Mg : 3.3 118% Pantothenic acid Mg : 1.047 111% Copper Mg : 0.82 200% Oleic acid (18:1) Gms: 1.525 646% Linoleic acid (18:2/n6) Gms: 2.214 304% Lysine Gms: 0.734 181% Methionine Gms: 0.262 113% Arginine Gms: 0.918 130% Tryptophan Gms: 1.100 580%

Well, it's also very high in Magnesium (very calming), and zinc (for male potency), so this may have worked with its detoxing effects to create a sort of "beginners high" from the tryptophan. I think I vaguely remember having a similar experience. Also, with all those minerals in it, they might have activated other nutrients and a slight glandular response or feeling of well-being... I wouldn't totally rule it out, especially if your diet has been lacking recently, your channels were open, mind open and receptive...

Quinoa is pretty high in oxalates. Oxalates is the most common trigger for creating kidney stones and calcium deposits in soft tissues. I'd be causious as to making it a staple.

Quinoa is pretty high in oxalates. Oxalates is the most common trigger for creating kidney stones and calcium deposits in soft tissues. I'd be causious as to making it a staple.

I wouldn't worry about it. Quinoa has nowhere near as much oxalates as, e.g., spinach. A diet low in oxalates is useful for someone who already has kidney stones and poor dietary calcium intake and/or absorption due to poor digestion. (The real bummer is commercial bread to which they add phosphates and calcium propionate for shelf life and illusion of freshness, which do leech calcium out of your bones and send its insoluble compounds into your bloodstream whence they get to the kidneys. Another bummer food in this respect is homogenized pasteurized diary, especially fat-free and low-fat varieties.) For someone with a normally functioning digestive tract and a sensible diet, including oxalates-rich foods is beneficial, since they are selectively destructive to cancer cells (induce apoptosis) and useful for prevention of cancer and in some naturopathic traditions, also for treatment (e.g. with raw beet juice, one of the foods highest in oxalates). Another way to assure there's no damage from oxalate-containing foods is to consume them with some fat.

I used to cook quinoa at least every week (we are a gluten free household, so all non-gluten-containing grains have been explored thoroughly). Haven't noticed any special effects except that I like buckwheat more. :)

• Like 4

I wouldn't worry about it. Quinoa has nowhere near as much oxalates as, e.g., spinach. A diet low in oxalates is useful for someone who already has kidney stones and poor dietary calcium intake and/or absorption due to poor digestion. (The real bummer is commercial bread to which they add phosphates and calcium propionate for shelf life and illusion of freshness, which do leech calcium out of your bones and send its insoluble compounds into your bloodstream whence they get to the kidneys. Another bummer food in this respect is homogenized pasteurized diary, especially fat-free and low-fat varieties.) For someone with a normally functioning digestive tract and a sensible diet, including oxalates-rich foods is beneficial, since they are selectively destructive to cancer cells (induce apoptosis) and useful for prevention of cancer and in some naturopathic traditions, also for treatment (e.g. with raw beet juice, one of the foods highest in oxalates). Another way to assure there's no damage from oxalate-containing foods is to consume them with some fat.

I used to cook quinoa at least every week (we are a gluten free household, so all non-gluten-containing grains have been explored thoroughly). Haven't noticed any special effects except that I like buckwheat more. :)

thank you for the input.

How do you cook your buckwheat? I have only ever tried 100% soba that was nearly impossible to prepare right.

Have you combined Quinoa and Buckwheat ever?

I used Ghee last time with quinoa and seemed a beneficial combo

thank you for thee input.

How do you cook your buckwheat? I have only ever tried 100% soba that was nearly impossible to prepare right.

Have you combined Quinoa and Buckwheat ever?

I used Ghee last time with quinoa and seemed a beneficial combo

The 100% soba is super tender (no gluten = no glue to hold it together) and indeed difficult to prepare, I suspect it's one of those Japanese trick foods (like sushi) that seem deceptively simple to make from the looks of it but require ten to twelve years of training under a lineage chef to get right. :) Ordinary buckwheat groats are much more forgiving. Here's the basic recipe:

1 cup buckwheat

1 1/2 cup water

pinch of salt

Bring water to a boil, preferably in your heaviest pot, add salt, add buckwheat, stir from the bottom, reduce heat to simmer, cover, give it 15 minutes, ready. Don't remove the lid yet, let it sit and absorb all the water for another 10 minutes. Season with tons of butter or ghee. You can also use it in soups, as a side dish, etc.. I like mine in hot soy milk as a milk soup, with butter, sugar or honey and berries, as a breakfast dish of my invention. It's very versatile and can go with meat or with sweet.

Here's another recipe, for raw food aficionados:

same proportions, but instead of cooking, place it all in a clay pot (or any heavy pot you have) in the evening, wrap the pot in an old blanket, and leave overnight. In the morning, it will be interesting. :)

The 100% soba is super tender (no gluten = no glue to hold it together) and indeed difficult to prepare, I suspect it's one of those Japanese trick foods (like sushi) that seem deceptively simple to make from the looks of it but require ten to twelve years of training under a lineage chef to get right. :) Ordinary buckwheat groats are much more forgiving. Here's the basic recipe:

1 cup buckwheat

1 1/2 cup water

pinch of salt

Bring water to a boil, preferably in your heaviest pot, add salt, add buckwheat, stir from the bottom, reduce heat to simmer, cover, give it 15 minutes, ready. Don't remove the lid yet, let it sit and absorb all the water for another 10 minutes. Season with tons of butter or ghee. You can also use it in soups, as a side dish, etc.. I like mine in hot soy milk as a milk soup, with sugar or honey and berries, as a breakfast dish of my invention. It's very versatile and can go with meat or with sweet.

Here's another recipe, for raw food aficionados:

same proportions, but instead of cooking, place it all in a clay pot (or any heavy pot you have) in the evening, wrap the pot in an old blanket, and leave overnight. In the morning, it will be interesting. :)

thank you Taomeow,

Does the buckwheat sprout quickly, or self cook? er does clay work best?

thank you Taomeow,

Does the buckwheat sprout quickly, or self cook? er does clay work best?

It self-cooks. The tasty varieties are pre-roasted, so they won't sprout. Clay works best because it retains the heat best, evenly and for the longest time. Asian markets usually have at least a few to choose from, high heat resistant so they can be used for stovetop cooking, not just in the oven.

• Like 1

It self-cooks. The tasty varieties are pre-roasted, so they won't sprout. Clay works best because it retains the heat best, evenly and for the longest time. Asian markets usually have at least a few to choose from, high heat resistant so they can be used for stovetop cooking, not just in the oven.

Fascinating, have you researched why it self cooks? sounds like oxidation?

says its high in iron and manganese and the Nippon name is Kasha, hm, Ka -Ha

cool..

I tried Quinoa yesterday and had an experience like from certain practices where becoming extremely drowsy. This was similar to supplemental tryptaphane except with out side effect and the drowsiness was a positive or seemingly beneficial feeling. I haven't done research yet except to read that it contains tryptamine/tryptaphane and has no glutamine. Wondering if anybody else uses this as a food staple. The effect was so pronounced I thought maybe it is more bio available form or higher concentration than average? Also read it was and Inka food staple.

quinoa-field.png

Hi,

I've been dabbling with quinoa as well off late. Especially with my insulin resistance growing with age. I'm in the process of relegating rice to the occasional treat while using quinoa as the primary grain in my house.

I get drowsy with rice (especially polished white rice) but eating quinoa actually leaves my quite energized. It is filling and provides simple carbohydrates which are very easy on the system. I also love the texture of the grain, it adds a little crunchiness to the meals (as opposed to the mushiness of rice).

Maybe the drowsiness you're referring to could be from something else in your diet?

You might like http://books.google....bMC&redir_esc=y

Lots of 5E food goodies (and scary stuff as well, but hey.)

One caveat: the author is a vegetarian fundamentalist and presents his views of food in an accordingly (and extremely) biased fashion, which renders his ideas of good and bad nutrition/diets rather ridiculous. The noteworthy part of the book, however, describing properties of food items in energetic and qi terms, i.e. parts which he compiled from authentic sources rather than authored, is indeed great. If I remember correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), it mentions not only the thermal nature of foods (warming, cooling, neutral) but also which meridians their qi enters, right? This is absolutely crucial to master IMO. There's often talk about "feeling qi" on this forum, well, the right place to start with this kind of sensitivity is by being able to tell where the qi of the foods you eat goes, and learning to "move" and "manipulate" your qi on this level. With practice, it becomes second nature -- besides being great fun and adding a whole new dimension to the process of eating. :)

• Like 1

warming thermal nature, sweet and sour flavour, strengthening for entire body, tonifies kidney yang and pericardium. highest protein content of all grains, more calcium than milk, highest in fat of any grain. a nutrient concentrated food.

tonifies yin.

antidote to cold pattern.

reduces excess of liver.

bitter flavour therefore appropriate for winter, promotes a sinking, centering quality, brings body heat deeper and lower.

eliminates excess.

• Like 4

Fascinating, have you researched why it self cooks? sounds like oxidation?

says its high in iron and manganese and the Nippon name is Kasha, hm, Ka -Ha

cool..

Oh, I must have given an unclear recipe -- you cover it with boiling water (pretty much like tea :)) and then wrap the pot in a blanket, so it's low slow steeping heat that does the cooking.

When I was a kid, I was on occasion exposed to the ancient traditional cooking methods of the countryside -- the so-called Russian oven, which is identical to the Chinese one, this huge thing where you can cook inside of it and sleep on top of it. It is usually made expertly to retain the heat for the longest time -- clay, bricks, very thick walls, an oven with a heavy cast iron door on the bottom, a platform bed on top. The village house where I was a guest at the time had a huge one, I remember sleeping on that platform with two other girls and a whole lot of cats, seven or eight, and a tray of dried black cherries providing a midnight snack (there was something always drying on top, some fruit to preserve in this fashion). Anyway, the oven itself was used for all cooking, soups to homemade bread, and everything pretty much cooked itself -- the pots were shoved in and forgotten for the day. I don't think I ever experienced a better diet than in that Ukrainian village home. So, wrapping a hot pot in a blanket is the closest one might come to this under "ordinary modern" circumstances. (I have tried and discarded a crock-pot -- electricity ain't no way to cook, everything winds up tasting the same and uninteresting. And they rag on the unhealthy modifications to the molecular isomers and demolished enzymes and what not, some nutritionists do, and I believe them.)

• Like 1

One caveat: the author is a vegetarian fundamentalist and presents his views of food in an accordingly (and extremely) biased fashion, which renders his ideas of good and bad nutrition/diets rather ridiculous. The noteworthy part of the book, however, describing properties of food items in energetic and qi terms, i.e. parts which he compiled from authentic sources rather than authored, is indeed great. If I remember correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), it mentions not only the thermal nature of foods (warming, cooling, neutral) but also which meridians their qi enters, right? This is absolutely crucial to master IMO. There's often talk about "feeling qi" on this forum, well, the right place to start with this kind of sensitivity is by being able to tell where the qi of the foods you eat goes, and learning to "move" and "manipulate" your qi on this level. With practice, it becomes second nature -- besides being great fun and adding a whole new dimension to the process of eating. :)

Yes there is quite a veggie bent to it but I haven't noticed it as being "too much" so far.

Yes it mentions food properties as well as which organ-meridians are involved. I still can't quite get over my identification with the "piece of meat" idea of organs yet so it's sometimes tough for me to "get" upon reading.

"Getting it" as far as food is concerned is a work in progress I'd say. I think I can spot dead chi foods quite some way off. Some others can still fool me though.

I notice in the description of the above book:

"Without being alarmist, he offers dietary tips for protecting yourself against the dangers of modern life, including neutralizing damage from water fluoridation."

Any tips on this one?

Yes there is quite a veggie bent to it but I haven't noticed it as being "too much" so far.

Yes it mentions food properties as well as which organ-meridians are involved. I still can't quite get over my identification with the "piece of meat" idea of organs yet so it's sometimes tough for me to "get" upon reading.

"Getting it" as far as food is concerned is a work in progress I'd say. I think I can spot dead chi foods quite some way off. Some others can still fool me though.

Well, yeah, maybe it's not "extreme," but I distinctly remember the derisive/holier-than-thou overtones in addressing meat eaters and the gems of junk science sparkling here and there in support of the premise... also, I may have read it when I was extremely sensitized to this agenda -- to wit, after a year on a strict, organic, supposedly superhealthy vegetarian diet, which started with a bang and ended with a whimper... a learning experience that left me with an involuntary "oh please" response to vegetarian propaganda for the rest of my life :rolleyes::) .

Hum. I suppose having already been through the whole veggie disaster myself I might be conveniently ignoring parts of it:-)

Also agreed on junk science, a 30-person metanalysis (sp?) does not sound that convincing;-)