Protector

Pillows!

ARGH! My neck is always making these creeking sounds after sleep, I blame pillows

CONFOUND THEM!!!

Any sleeping tips on stopping my neck from breaking in half every time I lie down?

ARGH! My neck is always making these creeking sounds after sleep, I blame pillows

CONFOUND THEM!!!

Any sleeping tips on stopping my neck from breaking in half every time I lie down?

The recommended sleeping position is on the right side with the bent right arm supporting the head -- the thumb of the right hand goes under the pillow -- under the check bone or under the ear. Then the right leg also bends to support the top left leg. add more pillows if needed or thicker pillows, etc.

The recommended sleeping position is on the right side with the bent right arm supporting the head -- the thumb of the right hand goes under the pillow -- under the check bone or under the ear. Then the right leg also bends to support the top left leg. add more pillows if needed or thicker pillows, etc.

P E R F E C T

If that doesn't work :

I had the same neck problem a year ago, I tried the recommended position above, did not help. I am sleeping on my back, with the pillow under my knees instead of my head, and as my back is straight, I can also mediate in this position holding the chi ball before going to sleep for a while . It's been like this for a year with no neck pain, and I when I wake up, I still find myself in the same position most of the time, so my body seems to be OK with this . The only down side is increased noise to others (more snoring) :)

That was a goooooood sleep, I couldn't get comfortable with my right hand under my head but I slept on the right side anyway

And sleeping on the back is hard to fall asleep for me and it sometimes makes me snore and I wake myself up :lol:

If that doesn't work :

I had the same neck problem a year ago, I tried the recommended position above, did not help. I am sleeping on my back, with the pillow under my knees instead of my head, and as my back is straight, I can also mediate in this position holding the chi ball before going to sleep for a while . It's been like this for a year with no neck pain, and I when I wake up, I still find myself in the same position most of the time, so my body seems to be OK with this . The only down side is increased noise to others (more snoring) :)

Do you hold the chi ball in your body or outside? I can't sleep with chi thumping away in my dantien, For me the 6 sounds is the only meditation to do before sleep if i actually want to get some sleep.

CONFOUND THEM!!! Any sleeping tips on stopping my neck from breaking in half every time I lie down?

Hi Sinfest,
Two things that may help. If you're a side sleeper, try making your pillow thick enough to keep your spine relatively straight as you lie on your side, meaning your head should not be dropping down toward the mattress. To do that, the pillow needs to be about the width of the distance between the tip of your shoulder and your ear. Then it has to be firm enough not to compress much with your head on it. A pillow that thick isn't going to be very comfortable if you roll onto your back though! You could have a shaped pillow that is thin (or soft) in the middle and thick and firm on the sides... Or put fat pillows on either side of your head with a gap in the middle...

Another thing that helps a lot of folks is to pull the bottom corner of the pillow (the "tail") up between your shoulder and your chin (so your shoulder is under the corner of the pillow). That keeps you from folding your head over against your shoulder, allowing muscles to shorten and pull your neck out of line.

Hope that helps!