JustARandomPanda

What is a Bindu?

Can someone please explain to me what is a bindu or a bindu drop?

For some reason when I read a (very brief) passage that mentioned bindu (without explaining what it is or does) I kept picturing a blue hershey's kiss candy. blink.gif

Does it have any other function that to just aid one in staying focused (anchored) on a certain area?

Hehe, a blue hersheys kiss.

Bindu is supposedly a point which represents the unmanifest...like a zero point within the body. If you put your energy into it, other energy is kicked out of it.

I think "relics" may be related to bindu points, where if it's activated it becomes crystallized. Not totally sure, just an idea.

I'd be interested to know more, also! :)

imho ...

Bindus are potent subtle "drops" that reside along sushumna, are at the inner-most center of chakras, and - of all of subtle anatomy - are especially key to integrating with Vast Light. They have a special resonance w/ Vast Light and as that connection is activated they play the role of crucial spark plugs that Light up the Light Body... that is, properly Lighting up the chakras and the human sphere.

Bindus are super key, sort of a rosetta stone of subtle anatomy in that many esoteric practices, systems, processes will make sense once you get an understand the bindu ~ Big Light connection. :D

For some reason when I read a (very brief) passage that mentioned bindu (without explaining what it is or does) I kept picturing a blue hershey's kiss candy. blink.gif

Does it have any other function that to just aid one in staying focused (anchored) on a certain area?

Hi SereneBlue :)

I would recommend Saraswati's book called "Kundalini Tantra". Not only does he explain the generic term bindu, but he explains the typical usage in kundalini and even has a section for devloping the bindu.

link: http://www.light-weaver.com/vortex/pdfs/Kundalini.Tantra.by.Satyananda.Saraswati.pdf

Bindu Visarga

Bindu, the source of creation, is beyond the realm of all conventional experience and

therefore, even in the tantric texts, there is very little written about it. It is the storehouse

of all the karmas of man from his previous life. Not only are these karmas in the form of

vasanas, they are also in the form of memories.

The word bindu means 'drop or point'. It is more correctly termed bindu visarga,

which literally means 'falling of the drop'. Bindu is represented by the crescent moon and

a white drop, which is the nectar dripping down to vishuddhi chakra. It is the ultimate

source out of which all things manifest and into which all things return.

"......(bindu) is the cause of the creation of word and meaning, now entering and now

separating from one another."

".....from that (bindu) came ether, air, fire, water, earth and the letters of the alphabet."

Kama-Kala-Vilasa (verses 6-9)

Bindu visarga is interconnected with vishuddhi chakra in the same way that the minor

centers of the digestive system are connected with manipura, and those of the uro-genital

and reproductive systems with swadhisthana and mooladhara chakras. Similarly, the

minor centers of the respiratory and circulatory systems are integrated into anahata

chakra and so on. In each case, the connection is mediated by the particular group of

nerves associated with that chakra. Bindu and vishuddhi are connected via the network of

nerves which flow through the interior portion of the nasal orifice, passing through lalana

chakra, which is found at the uvula or palate. Therefore, when awakening takes place in

vishuddhi, it simultaneously takes place in bindu and lalana.

The ten paired cranial nerves which emerge along the brain stem from their

associated centers or nuclei, are considered to actually have their initial origins within

this tiny center, so that the whole visual, nasal, auditory and tasting systems are

ultimately manifestations from bindu.

The location point

The seat of bindu is at the top back of the head, exactly at the spot where the Hindu

brahmins leave a tuft of hair growing. Although this custom is still being followed today,

its original purpose has been completely forgotten. In Sanskrit that tuft of hair is called

shikha, which means 'the flame of fire'. Here, the word 'flame' stands for the flame of

vasanas or the hidden karmas belonging to the previous life.

During the period of sandhya, when the child underwent the thread ceremony and

was initiated into mantra, they used to hold and tighten this tuft as much as possible and

then tie it. When the tuft was tightened and the child practised mantra, he developed a

powerful and continuing awareness of this bindu point alone. He felt tightness rather than

pain at that point. This is one traditional way to gain contact with bindu visarga.

:)

TI

This is a great question -- Professor David Gordon White's book Kiss of the Yogini on tantra states that the bindu is the clitoris and that the point behind the third eye of the brain is actually also considered a vulva that collects the sex fluids. http://books.google.com/books?id=ErTHR2kRdCkC&pg=PA227&lpg=PA227&dq=bindu+point+%22david+gordon+white%22&source=bl&ots=YDN_7Ns71M&sig=jEccwLNJQR-cZD1yNegAMWFjrrk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TgH0Tr7aCc2SgQfY5tmyAg&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=bindu&f=false

See pages 100-1 of the google books then again on p. 121 or 2. Then in the footnotes he says bindu means drops of sex fluid. The clitoris is also called "Love's Lunar Digit."

Edited by fulllotus

Bindu at the very physical sense simply means the 'seed' or one's regenerative fluid. Bindupata or Binduvisarga or Binduskhalana refers to ejaculation. When refined, it represents various other things as pointed out by others on this thread.

It is also the Cosmic Seed, the one Zero Point as Scotty correctly pointed out, or the Void from which everything arises and into which everything collapses.

Bindu is also a Chakra in the body. Above the Ajna chakra, there are very subtle and very special centers extending all the way to Sahasrara - Bindu, Ardhachandra, Rodhini, Nada, Nadanta, Shakti, Vypika, Samana and Unmana. These points are touched when the mantra transforms from gross sound to refined/defined revealed sound and to a Grand Silence at the Crown.

• Like 3

And by the way, the spot that Hindu's put in their foreheads is also called bindu.

Not specifically, but it is not incorrect either as Bindu is simply a dot or a circle, and the red spot on the forehead (signifying Shakti) can thus fit into the definition of the Bindu.

What exactly is zero point energy? I don't understand the actual physics behind the term, but seems like people use it casually to mean something more abstract. :unsure:

There's google search engine to find out more. An elaborate and derailing discussion on what is or is not Zero point energy is not relevant to this thread. Shall we please reserve that to another endless Buddhist thread please :glare:

Edited by guruyoga

Bindu at the very physical sense simply means the 'seed' or one's regenerative fluid. Bindupata or Binduvisarga or Binduskhalana refers to ejaculation. When refined, it represents various other things as pointed out by others on this thread.

It is also the Cosmic Seed, the one Zero Point as Scotty correctly pointed out, or the Void from which everything arises and into which everything collapses.

Bindu is also a Chakra in the body. Above the Ajna chakra, there are very subtle and very special centers extending all the way to Sahasrara - Bindu, Ardhachandra, Rodhini, Nada, Nadanta, Shakti, Vypika, Samana and Unmana. These points are touched when the mantra transforms from gross sound to refined/defined revealed sound and to a Grand Silence at the Crown.

And generically, bindu means point or dot. Great explanations guru...

Bindu-the word Anu, or Molecule. the true YOGIC interpretation is the Kustastha dot (bindu/bindi). A yogi practicing austere sadhana attains settlement at the kutashta dot which is the subtlest of the subtle. Kutastha is in between the eyebrows. The Anjacakra is the root of the Kutashta.So therefore the Kutastha in the front is reflected by Anjacakra in the occiptal region. The yogi then loses his entity and becomes pervaded by the dot.

As my Guru says, Thus he spontaneously is detracted by the gross expansiveness surrounding him and settling in the dot he achieves contraction. Brahmanu is beyond this anu which a yogi attains after further austere endeavours for this is the state of nothingness, it exists yet is not definable, this is Kriyas transcendental state where a yogi ultimately achieves mergence and fulfills his human life.

If you have actually seen it then its something you cant put into words, there are no words for it. As for the tantric version mentioned. well that is sheer horsecrap. LOL there are procedures known to a yogi that would use the term yoni etc but have nothing to do with the tantric sex gig.people that are into that are just misinterpreting what a true yogi knows. there is penetration indeed but it is all in the "visualization" and in particular using the items mentioned above........................

• Like 1