Sign in to follow this  
RiverSnake

Meditating On Symbols

People for a long time have used ancient symbols as meditation tools. Christians use the cross, Daoist's might use the eight triagrams, Buddhists might use a Mandala. I have heard people say that by meditating on symbols you open yourself up to the entire history and energy of that symbol and also you can imprint such things as mandalas on your consciousness which can help with self-realization.

For those whom have actually used such tools i was wondering as to the benefits of meditating on symbols? Are these metaphysical benefits true? Is there value in such a practice?

And if so how has it worked for you?

• Like 1

My experience isn't so much with religious symbols, but establishing contact with the natural elements.

For me there would be a huge difference between a gold cross and a wooden one. I think the benefit of the natural elements is proven. If we include energy as an element, our correspondence could be considered as an attribute of such. The benefits then become apparent as our global conscious begins to perceive itself.

Edited by Informer

It's like chanting a mantra but with your eyes

You let your mind slip away and go into a self-caused hypnosis and the image is there

It's another part of everyday meditation people do without notice

There is also a yogic connection with other people who are meditating on the same symbol like the connection with people who are meditating in the full lotus

Interesting links CT. Thanks. Do you any of you guys have actual personal experience with using symbols as meditations. If so and your open to sharing please do so.

There was one weird thing that happened but I don't want to talk about it

Is it because people might think you're nuts? :lol:

Edited by Informer

The shape of the symbol (among other aspects of it, such as the tactile feel of it...all senses) morphs your entire energy body, and causes a corresponding effect in the physical. It is your yi...and qi follows yi. You can program all sorts of things into it, refining your qi into whatever you desire.

Good to know what you want and how to get it.

I prefer to feel-visualize rather than see-visualize. When you are picturing (seeing) something in your mind's eye, it always takes place near the front of the forehead on the screen of your imagination. But if you feel it, it can be anywhere in the body and is more grounding. This differentiation comes through personal experience.

"The five colors blind the eye" might be related to inner visualization of symbols...in this interpretation of the TTC verse, it's a very positive thing to be "blind". This idea comes from Michael Saso's book, "The Gold Pavilion".

i never really feel at peace until i destroy all the symbols

i guess thats why i like wild nature so much... and cannabis, meditation and psychedelics

and shrooms which you could say stand for the pure creation coming from the decomposing destruction

Edited by eternalnoob

and cannabis

That is draining your life force and power. If you stop taking it you will gradually improve from your current state of being, which is very weak and dim. It will take a few years of sobriety at least.

I've spent durations thinking about and/or meditating on pushing past 64 hexagrams.

I decided i would eventually spend time working out 4096 "dodecagrams" or "double hexagrams".

I've spent a lot of time thinking about the possibilities of gaining further understanding of the flows and cycles of life/reality by observing the changing patterns of simple full and halved bars (trigrams, hexagrams, etc.)

I'll ponder the nature of what results i may or may not have incurred. blink.gif

The shape of the symbol (among other aspects of it, such as the tactile feel of it...all senses) morphs your entire energy body, and causes a corresponding effect in the physical. It is your yi...and qi follows yi. You can program all sorts of things into it, refining your qi into whatever you desire.

Good to know what you want and how to get it.

I prefer to feel-visualize rather than see-visualize. When you are picturing (seeing) something in your mind's eye, it always takes place near the front of the forehead on the screen of your imagination. But if you feel it, it can be anywhere in the body and is more grounding. This differentiation comes through personal experience.

"The five colors blind the eye" might be related to inner visualization of symbols...in this interpretation of the TTC verse, it's a very positive thing to be "blind". This idea comes from Michael Saso's book, "The Gold Pavilion".

What is Yi?

Sign in to follow this