Lozen

Z-health

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with this? http://www.zhealth.net/ I know some Crossfitters are into it for body awareness, and since I'm not really doing yoga/qi gong/pilates/etc. with any degree of consistency anymore, I'm looking for something else other than my regular stretching.

Also if anybody has a DVD I can borrow, I'd be appreciative. :)

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with this? http://www.zhealth.net/ I know some Crossfitters are into it for body awareness, and since I'm not really doing yoga/qi gong/pilates/etc. with any degree of consistency anymore, I'm looking for something else other than my regular stretching.

Also if anybody has a DVD I can borrow, I'd be appreciative. :)

Oh you wouldn't like Z-Health. :) I read his manual... it was warrior wellness with a little body flow. (Cobb used to be a student of Sonnon's.)

A little bird that was excommunicated from Rmax told me that Sonnon got all his stuff from Slavic Natural Health System aka Zdorovye (the Z in Z-Health.)

Well, yeah, but that's hardly a secret. The original release of the program (before WW) was even called Zdorvye, which was on the product list until very recently.

Anyway, you know what Z-health is now. Same material in a different wrapper.

You're right then, I wouldn't like it. :)

Any words of wisdom on stretching videos/systems? (Sean, you too!) I really liked yoga for a while but then I read these articles that destroyed it for me... I'd have to look at the details but they were talking about how some asanas place too much stress on the joints and create hypermobility, stretch joint connective tissue (creating minor damage), and also some of the muscles still remain tight in comparison. These articles had pictures of "safe" stretches but I'm still looking for somehting else, maybe I should just stick with what I've got for a while.

You're right then, I wouldn't like it. :)

Any words of wisdom on stretching videos/systems? (Sean, you too!) I really liked yoga for a while but then I read these articles that destroyed it for me... I'd have to look at the details but they were talking about how some asanas place too much stress on the joints and create hypermobility, stretch joint connective tissue (creating minor damage), and also some of the muscles still remain tight in comparison. These articles had pictures of "safe" stretches but I'm still looking for somehting else, maybe I should just stick with what I've got for a while.

Yeah, but I'm willing to bet you can overdo any system, yoga or otherwise, and cause problems. The only safe and effective system of stretching I can recommend from experience is active isolated stretching by Aaron Mattes. And I injured myself in that system too, misapplying the principles and going a little faster than I could accomodate at the time! Don't get me wrong, I got a ton out of it. But it doesn't address much in the way of joint mobility issues (you get a little), which is why I left it behind, and only use fragments of that system as necessary. I got away from yoga too initially, because many instructors near where I lived then were teaching it like the articles you describe, sacrificing health to get into poses they weren't ready for. Yoga instructors were second only to waitresses in terms of imbalanced/injured clients I saw, and it turned me off for a looong time. But... I'm open to it again, because I've seen how dramatic an impact its had on my recovery time from workouts. I think it just depends on the instructor you have.

You'd have to read the articles, but they implied that the hypermobility and low level connective tissue damage (which doesn't really hurt so would be hard to diagnose) are from some of the actual poses, not because of user error. I like the AIS stuff and I try to use some of it during the day but I'm looking for, like, something to do on my own for an hour once a week and then maybe 10-15 min a day. I'll just go through my list of static and dynamic stretches.

Smile, Coyote,

Are you still using Z-Health? I was looking for something for an Aunt who has a lower back pain and this was recommended by many. What was confusing though was what to start with, Neural Warm up or R-phase. Appreciate any inputs in this regard.

Smile, Coyote,

Are you still using Z-Health? I was looking for something for an Aunt who has a lower back pain and this was recommended by many. What was confusing though was what to start with, Neural Warm up or R-phase. Appreciate any inputs in this regard.

Neural Warm up is level 1. Good practice and probably all you need.

You'd have to read the articles, but they implied that the hypermobility and low level connective tissue damage (which doesn't really hurt so would be hard to diagnose) are from some of the actual poses, not because of user error. I like the AIS stuff and I try to use some of it during the day but I'm looking for, like, something to do on my own for an hour once a week and then maybe 10-15 min a day. I'll just go through my list of static and dynamic stretches.

Are these articles online by chance?

Also, anyone have an opinion on Z-health vs Sonnon's stuff? I'm thinking about gifts for fit but stiff family members.

Edited by 松永道

Are these articles online by chance?

Also, anyone have an opinion on Z-health vs Sonnon's stuff? I'm thinking about gifts for fit but stiff family members.

would also be great to get some insights what kind of exercises zhealth is teaching....

just simple joint movement stuff?

A little bird that was excommunicated from Rmax told me that Sonnon got all his stuff from Slavic Natural Health System aka Zdorovye (the Z in Z-Health.)

I was watching intuflow on utube and I'm interested in learning more. Then I found a vid called Scott Sonnon -Be Breathed. It has a splash screen (like where an add break on tv would be) "Slavic Natural Health System Zdorovye"

The Performance Breathing protocols demonstrated can be applied to any athletic activity or practiced alone for total core development. Coach Sonnon gives you the concepts and methods needed to achieve your fitness goals.

- Body as a Bellows: Be Breathed by your structure and movement

- Fundamental exercises and variations for standing and seated positions

- Floor Work: Methods of practicing lying down

- Full core activation: why you never need to do crunches again

- Using the Control Pause to achieve peak performance between breaths

- Perpetual Exercise and how to work out any time, any where

Key exercises: Butterfly, Pike, Straddle, Hurdler, Shin Box Pike

"Breathing is an assumed skill. Since breathing is automatic from birth it is assumed that we requiire no training in it"

Good stuff about perpetual exercise, breathing continuously, flexing the spine. Nothing totally startling but I had not seen the system before. Also has a floorbased exercise routine, but basically about integrating your breathing into every movement.

There is no movement without breathing.

There is no breathing without posture.

There is no posture without movement.

The only thing I could find on the net about was here

http://www.naturalhealthweb.com/articles/brackbill1.html

and this thread, page 1 google

I know this is old, but still :D

Zdorovye did not exist before Sonnon. Love him or hate him, Sonnon did not get his stuff from Zdorovye, he formulated Zdorovye from what he'd learned in Russia. It was his way of organising and marketting it.

Dr Cobb learned Zdorovye from Sonnon, and worked with him to create Z-Health. They split Cobb went his way, and Sonnon his.

From the horses mouth;

"As for the name, I get asked that a lot! There are really three reasons. The first is that Z-Health's foundations ? both academic and personal ? come from the influence of many fields of study and many individuals. As a result, I've always believed the system was bigger than simply "The Cobb Method". I wanted a name that reflected that fact.

Secondly, because Z was heavily influenced in its early stages by Russian and Eastern European practices, we wanted to "pay homage" to those traditions. Zdorovye is the Russian word for health, as well as the name that Sonnon gave to his original system when he returned to the states.

In looking for a name that was short, sweet and easy to remember, the "Z" just kind of stuck. Finally, I try to remind people that the full name of our company is Z-Health Performance Solutions. This was carefully chosen because we wanted our name to demonstrate two important components of our company philosophy:

We work and teach in two distinct arenas ? health improvement AND performance enhancement. And, That health should always come before performance!" Dr Cobb

Best,

Edited by snowmonki