mantis

Wang Liping & associated teachings

OK. I'm starting this thread to have an organized place to discuss Wang Liping and his Longmen Pai teachings.

My main question is, and I'm sorry if this has been answered before, what should one do if one can not yet afford to attend a retreat? Stillness meditation, lower tan tien, etc? Should one stretch to attempt the full lotus for the 4 hours, per described in the Opening of the Dragon Gate? Are there any dietary principles should follow to prepare themselves?

In short, what is the best you can possibly do to reap the greatest benefit from Wang Liping and his retreat.

Good thread, I look forward to hearing from some of master Wang liping's students.

I recall reading that during the retreat there are 2 hour sitting sessions in which you must remain still. So working up to that in full lotus seems like a solid foundation.

• Like 2

Good thread, I look forward to hearing from some of master Wang liping's students.

I recall reading that during the retreat there are 2 hour sitting sessions in which you must remain still. So working up to that in full lotus seems like a solid foundation.

the stillness is a good point. Chunyi Lin also emphasizes to stay still while meditating. Right now my two hour full lotus meditation is getting better with not moving - slowly. haha. So that's definitely a good goal of no motion.

Staying still does seem to be a focal point of the teachings, as does the number 4. I'm not sure on the reason but the "4 hours" of training time is constantly mentioned in Opening the Dragon Gate.

ie. Wang Liping's teachers taught him a new practice, he meditated for 4 hours, and so on and so forth.

It'd be great if we could get some input :)

the heart signal, once it emerges from the noise - as one continues to peel back layers of the onion - will also fade into the background once the signal is stabilized and attenuated in the headroom of the mind's eye.

the heart signal, once it emerges from the noise - as one continues to peel back layers of the onion - will also fade into the background once the signal is stabilized and attenuated in the headroom of the mind's eye.

Do you think its cool to write in an unexceptionably complicated matter just for the sake of it? Just curious.

• Like 1

Pardon my attempts at an accurate description of phenomena :closedeyes:

"When complexity strikes, meaningful statements lose precision and precise statements lose meaning." -- Lotfi Zadeh (father of the mathematical theory of fuzzy logic) :)

But back to the subject: don't recall Master Wang saying anything about listening to your heartbeat. There's several parts to the sitting, the simple and the not-so-simple. The part where you just sit, you just sit. If you listen to your heartbeat or whatever, you are using the prop of a "something" to focus on. This is not how it's done in this tradition. When you just sit, you just sit. You let it all settle down. Settle. You don't move because if you move it gets stirred up and you've wasted your time. You don't focus on anything because if you do it settles where you focus instead of where tao settles in stillness. You gather your spirit inside, so you don't use your eyes to look at anything, you don't use your ears to listen to anything, you don't use anything.

• Like 1

Do you think its cool to write in an unexceptionably complicated matter just for the sake of it? Just curious.

Seemed a pretty accurate description of the process to me.

But what do i know wacko.gif

"When complexity strikes, meaningful statements lose precision and precise statements lose meaning." -- Lotfi Zadeh (father of the mathematical theory of fuzzy logic) :)

But back to the subject: don't recall Master Wang saying anything about listening to your heartbeat. There's several parts to the sitting, the simple and the not-so-simple. The part where you just sit, you just sit. If you listen to your heartbeat or whatever, you are using the prop of a "something" to focus on. This is not how it's done in this tradition. When you just sit, you just sit. You let it all settle down. Settle. You don't move because if you move it gets stirred up and you've wasted your time. You don't focus on anything because if you do it settles where you focus instead of where tao settles in stillness. You gather your spirit inside, so you don't use your eyes to look at anything, you don't use your ears to listen to anything, you don't use anything.

I've found this to be the fastest way to reach a high level of concentration. Just sitting. In the Tai Ji Tu when Yin reaches it's maximum potential Yang begins to emerge.

Active concentration although a viable route, i would consider to be a Yang exertion and less effective at achieving a stillness.

Edited by effilang

Thanks for clearing that up, I got the idea from kathyli but I don't think English is her first language and some things may get scrambled up in translation.

I've found this to be the fastest way to reach a high level of concentration. Just sitting. In the Tai Ji Tu when Yin reaches it's maximum potential Yang begins to emerge.

Active concentration although a viable route, i would consider to be a Yang exertion and less effective at achieving a stillness.

I've found that if one builds a foundation of concentration and muscle memory, it only requires occasional input to add angular momentum to the wheel. Once the requisite muscle memory is built, the harmonization of structures is much enhanced, meaning "much less mental capital" is required to continue - the end result is adding amplitude for the shen to utilize.

Both of my parents have fantastic vocabularies - I find it helps to be as accurate as possible in the descriptions, while at the same time having the understanding that it doesnt matter whether one calculates using Newtonian Mechanics or General Relativity - they are both approximations, abstractions - though one may be "a closer, more accurate description of the fundamental processes." As long as one realizes such, one may bask in the moonlight :)

• Like 1

Hi

Here is some info that I believe will answer many of your questions

All of this info is available on the laoziacademy.us site (but you will need to translate it)

go to the http://laoziacademy.us/ click on the "Lao Zi Academy" link near the top this will take you to the http://laoziacademy.us/home.htm page on that page click the "Free reading" link which will take you to the http://laoziacademy.us/free_reading.htm page

I took a class in South Carolina this past spring and I found it be very informational and I had a good time.

Dr. Sun taught the class and was able to get us through the foundation techniques during the three days.

The course covered how to work with energy, how to collect and refine what energy you have also how to strengthen it. How to start to restore your organs and energy system (remove blockages) and how to start to begin to prepare yourself for the more advanced Taoist classes

It is nice that Master Wang, Dr Sun and Dr Li have started to bring the classes to the USA.

One of the instructions taught show how to work with tree energy for healing and development.

5 element energy work with your organs and chi system.

Taoist walking technique and energy building.

Taoist sleeping technique.

Foundation alchemy technique. (this was very good)

Considering that the class is for three days it is amazing how much you learn (mastering it is a different matter : )

You could read the translations and attempt to do the techniques by yourself but it is much better when you learn them from a qualified teacher that has learned from Master Wang (as they say - nothing like being there!)

One other thing Dr Sun told us a story of a student who went to Master Wang. He was a student of a different Taoist master prior to going to Master Wang. He had learned a technique and he believed in it (it was from a former teacher) Master Wang had warned him that the technique was not safe and that it could be dangerous but the student continued to practice the technique unfortunately he passed away. Dr Sun said that Master Wang was upset.

So I guess that this type of under taking can be dangerous if you do not have the right teacher and I believe that this is why it is required to go to a class to learn the correct way to practice and not just learn from a book!

I hope this helps

You guys should talk to Dr Sun and Dr Li they are very nice and the class is great

I think the whole price thing is blown out of proportion (I went and it was not that expensive and it was worth it)

Best Regards

Shawn

• Like 1

Hi

Here is some info that I believe will answer many of your questions

All of this info is available on the laoziacademy.us site (but you will need to translate it)

go to the http://laoziacademy.us/ click on the "Lao Zi Academy" link near the top this will take you to the http://laoziacademy.us/home.htm page on that page click the "Free reading" link which will take you to the http://laoziacademy.us/free_reading.htm page

I took a class in South Carolina this past spring and I found it be very informational and I had a good time.

Dr. Sun taught the class and was able to get us through the foundation techniques during the three days.

The course covered how to work with energy, how to collect and refine what energy you have also how to strengthen it. How to start to restore your organs and energy system (remove blockages) and how to start to begin to prepare yourself for the more advanced Taoist classes

It is nice that Master Wang, Dr Sun and Dr Li have started to bring the classes to the USA.

One of the instructions taught show how to work with tree energy for healing and development.

5 element energy work with your organs and chi system.

Taoist walking technique and energy building.

Taoist sleeping technique.

Foundation alchemy technique. (this was very good)

Considering that the class is for three days it is amazing how much you learn (mastering it is a different matter : )

You could read the translations and attempt to do the techniques by yourself but it is much better when you learn them from a qualified teacher that has learned from Master Wang (as they say - nothing like being there!)

One other thing Dr Sun told us a story of a student who went to Master Wang. He was a student of a different Taoist master prior to going to Master Wang. He had learned a technique and he believed in it (it was from a former teacher) Master Wang had warned him that the technique was not safe and that it could be dangerous but the student continued to practice the technique unfortunately he passed away. Dr Sun said that Master Wang was upset.

So I guess that this type of under taking can be dangerous if you do not have the right teacher and I believe that this is why it is required to go to a class to learn the correct way to practice and not just learn from a book!

I hope this helps

You guys should talk to Dr Sun and Dr Li they are very nice and the class is great

I think the whole price thing is blown out of proportion (I went and it was not that expensive and it was worth it)

Best Regards

Shawn

The tree energy? Cool! Yesterday I had this strange urge to hug this old oak tree. I had just been burning wood to make charcoal and as I cut up different wood - maple, buckthorn, etc. I had this new respect for the power of the tree. Previously I had seen a rainbow aura and had a dream about this white bear about two old oak trees in my yard from when I was a kid. After the white bear dream I went to check on the old oak tree and it had just been cut down!! The white bear is a symbol of death/transition. Yeah then i realized those old oak trees were watching over me when I was a kid. haha. So when I was hugging the tree with my arms -- barely touch on the other side -- then I had great respect for how strong this tree was compared to what I had just burned -- how much energy was in it. It just felt good to hug it.

Wow too bad googletranslate doesn't give a readable translation:

Practitioners faced with a pair of trees or flowers (early repair in face of trees and flowers), feet of natural standing, legs slightly open, hands naturally hang down, put in the thigh on both sides, Song Jing, win their hearts, to close body, to close the universe, turn a blind eye co-teeth, tongue touching the palate, easy and natural to stand for a while, opened his eyes, upper body upright.

Action:

Will drop out in the thigh on both sides of the hands forward, palms forward, arms straight on the move, his hands holding the gas Hua Hu, holding the better range of motion of gas. Gas at the same time both hands, left foot or right foot practitioners to the back half a step (or retire, and retire right foot left foot by the practitioners may be), two gas-Hua Hu holding back backward movement and action, is simultaneous, synchronized movement, movement speed to slow with the good.

Gas practitioners both hands upward Hua Hu, the back side of the body backward, backward at the same time the body began to squat, squat in place, both hands air just to the head, hands are holding down the gas pressure for the gas, then palms yearned under pressure with both hands into the natural universe, the human universe, his hands pressed to the air by the head body, head, chest to the lower abdomen at Shimoda. Hands holding the gas, the gas pressure to the lower abdomen Shimoda at the action, should be readily transferred two eyes, hand-bound at the two visual place, there must be God emotional consistency.

To the back half a step, while for straight front legs forward, toes facing the trees and flowers, front foot stepping on to the virtual, practitioners focus on the hind legs, hind legs bent squat trend, be sure to clip the legs crotch buckle knee. Young and strong as the front legs are straight, legs squat as far as possible, beginners and old, weak, sick unsteady, the action should not be too much.

Qi Hua Hu both hands to the head, hands are holding the gas is compressed air, and half a step back, squat body. Hands down the compressed air through the head, head, chest, lower abdomen to Shimoda, hands in hands Shimoda punishment, Hua Hu, hands down the pressure gas type with both hands out to push down into the gas. Shimoda at the hands along the lower abdomen to straighten the front leg to push his hands along the lower abdomen, thighs, knees, legs, feet, toes to release in vitro. After the introduction of toes with both hands, holding the gas for the variable push-type hands, palms up, holding in his hands began to air at the same time, left foot or right foot began to regress backwards (retreat three steps, we began to move forward three steps), then for the aforesaid action.

This first three steps back, three steps forward again, again and again to practice until the received power, practice time may be longer or shorter.

Both hands to push gas, parked in separate hands reach around both sides of the thigh, two palms facing the thighs slanting down, push down, release toes.

Received power:

Practitioners would like to receive power, as long as the focus of the hind legs to step forward with a half step or stepping on the virtual front foot back half a step to the front legs to make feet standing balance, body upright, two hands and gas by the head, head, chest, lower abdomen Shimoda, hands inward in the lower abdomen after the Hua Hu, stacked in the lower abdomen, palm facing the lower abdomen (left hand or right hand is on with the f), for a vigil, to receive power.

Breath:

Pressure gas line to the lower abdomen with both hands, the hands inward Hua Hu break up, both hands palm down into his hands to push out the gas pressure when the gas began to breath, exhale, hands palm facing the lower abdomen, along the lower abdomen, thighs on both sides, the toes to shove, has been introduced as a breath toes, hands launch toes, inhale breath into.

Inhale:

Launch from toes with both hands, holding hands and push change gas type, start breathing, hands holding the gas to the top of the head, hands are holding down the gas for the gas pressure has been pressed into the head, chest, abdominal breathing to the Department for Shimoda. Line to the lower abdomen with both hands, both hands in the lower abdomen at the Hua Hu will break out into his hands to push down the gas pressure-type, began to breath.

Respiratory precautions:

Breathing must be thin, smooth and long, slow, slightly, slow, time of call and suction must be balanced, so that a breath, again and again, until the received power.

Ideas:

Practitioners hands down the gas pressure to the lower abdomen, hands around Hua Hu break, external rotation, pressure type change when push hands palm to the lower abdomen through Shimoda at the issue of a force with a "letter of spirit" into the fields, push the Shimoda gas into the thigh, palm facing forward for straight two legs push down both sides of the double-pulse has been launched toes, palms of the issue through the Ru Gusui run in Shimoda to toe. Push the body of the gas line in vitro, in the celestial body of gas combined gas. "Push the gas line, Speranskia gas into the marrow, the gas line outside the universe, normalized strength in the air."

Both hands to push the gas line to toe, toes began to introduce breathing, breathe in the natural universe, two palm up holding the gas, from all sides, revenues at the edge of the universe itself, holding the natural gas to the head, changing the gas type of hands holding down the gas pressure type, gas pressure with both hands palm down, the air pressure into the body of the natural universe, the universe, this time of the gas included in the body Tianyuan, practitioners should be hands outside air and the gas pressure trip to Shimoda has been at the line, breaking up change push, beginning breath, so that repeated, until the received power. "Holding pressure gas line, gas into the universe, outside air to push the gas, strength attributed to king."

Second, the double-pushing palm

Posture and movement:

Ready to type:

With the former type "double push the pulse" of the action ready to type.

Action:

Sagging in the thigh on both sides of the hands turn inward, palm back, his arms held up to the flat parallel with the ground, palm down, pull back with both hands, arms recovered, pulling back with both hands, the hands and ten means tip against a tree, pull to the chest at his hands, the hands and ten fingers into a stand of palm trees of the type, the palm of the trees.

Slowly lift your arms straight up while the left foot or right foot practitioners also began to back half a step (first with the back foot which has been) at the same time, the body to squat, lift arms up and back flat regression is the same action, is at the same time, the movement speed to be consistent.

To the back half a step, while for straight front legs forward (toe beginners to the trees or flowers in front), trees or flowers in front toes, practitioners focus on the body after the legs, the hind legs bend squat-style , be sure to clip crotch buckle legs knee.

Practitioners squat body place, his hands had been pulled close to the chest, hands are palm up, palm to the trees, palms pushing trees, palms pushing eight trees to Stretch your arms, hands up palm changed hands and ten fingers of the trees, pulled his hands back, then pull up to the chest at the palm, palm of the trees.

Pull his hands back at the same time backward step back to back three steps, his hands pulled back, the same three steps forward, three steps forward, so that the back three steps, three steps forward again, again and again, until the close Gong, the exercises given time by the practitioners themselves.

Breath:

Pull back to change hands up his chest began to breath when the palm, two palm trees in front, forced to push forward, pushing the palm side of the tree, while breath, until the push palm in place, up palm flattened palm, hands ten fingertips on the trees, began to inhale.

Inhale:

Stretch your arms palms to push the eighth place, change ten fingers against a tree, start breathing when pulled back, his hands while pulling back hard, while breathing, pulling his hands to his chest in place, flat palm become established palm, into breath.

Respiratory precautions:

Breathing must be done: thin, smooth and long, slow, slow, micro, expiratory and inspiratory time must be balanced, so that a breath, again and again, until the received power.

Received power:

Practitioners would like to receive power, just the center of gravity of the hind legs to step forward a half step or stepping on the virtual front foot back half a step to the front legs to make legs stand straight, body upright, hands flat palm to the chest received at the pull line to the chest with both hands, gently drooping in the thigh with both hands on both sides, change "Promise-style" Zhan Zhuang, can receive power for a vigil.

Ideas:

Practitioners established palm, palm trees in front, palms of the issue through a kind of resistance force, straight forward, which means trying to push in front of a tree bending.

Hands push palm in place, change is flat palm up palm, hands ten fingers pull back against the tree, intent, gas, gas is intended to coincide trees bending, pulling back when the pull is straight back, Originally known as "qi by the customs law," the one. "Push the five elements of wood, Yang Liutong Poisson, pull the gas line Qi Gong, secret universe."

"Balancing power" of the reason and origin (abbreviated)

---- Inadvertently taken from the "Smart Strength Lingbao pass surgery" (Chinese Taoist culture and health first summer camp materials, Wang Liping speaker) Page No. 212-218

Edited by fulllotus

Thanks, this seems to be the most useful link:

http://www.longmenpai.com/forum/showthread.php?93-An-important-preparation-practice-for-beginner-Taming-mind-and-still-sitting-(%26%2325910%3B%26%2324515%3B%26%2338745%3B%26%2322352%3B)

Seems to be a stillness meditation in which you simply sit and listen to your heart beat.

This is very interesting, in that most of what I have read of Quan Zhen, Complete Reality, teaching, of which Longmen Pai is a branch, and other early Taoist alchemy, the teachings focus on letting go, relaxing the body so the mind can relax, and not much about "build energy here then move it to here." Also they speak much more about spirit, whereas most of what people talk about is vitality or jing.

What I noticed at this link, is how this meditation starts with shen which refines in qi which then refines into jing. So if you start this way, you will be building jing in the long run. Since most young people have jing, this seems to make lots of sense to begin with, as they will develop the spirit first off, and also have more jing as they advanced more in age. I think a lot of the complicated methods are a detriment in some ways, in this regard, though certainly useful for some...

m2c..

I also attended the retreat with Dr. Sun last spring that Shawn mentioned. The best thing you can do to prepare to see Master Wang is to learn to sit. It doesn't have to be in full lotus. If you can sit and stand for long periods, you will be just fine.

I can't share details of the practices, but they require a lot of concentration. The longer you can sit without feeling pain and the ability to concentrate, the better prepared you will be. I would also doing something to keep yourself physically fit. Your body is simply more efficient when you are in good shape. This doesn't really have anything to do with the practices, but if you're a high risk of developing CAD, all the chi in the world won't save you from having a heart attack.

• Like 1

Weird, I click on the Longmen Pai links and I get a "403 - Forbidden" message about restricted access. Thanks to those who shared their experiences at the retreats. I'm curious to know how it compares to prior experiences you've had with meditation, qigong or nei gong? Would you consider the energy practices taught there to be intended for a beginner level or intermediate?