Sign in to follow this  
liminal_luke

Does entering wuji = nonduality

Had the thought the other day that maybe what people think of as "enlightenment" or the non-experience of non-duality is really the same thing as the end point of taoist alchemy. What do people think?

When yin and yang are "cooked" by putting various fiery essences under a big pot of yin essence is the steam that emerges the same "thing" as non-duality?

Are "merging with the tao" and the recognition of "self" as pure awareness just different ways of talking about the same thing?

• Like 1

Are "merging with the tao" and the recognition of "self" as pure awareness just different ways of talking about the same thing?

Yes, but it's meant to be lived as an experience, not something to conceptualize and religiousize.

I don't think it's the end of Taoist alchemy...rather, it's just the beginning.

It's related to upper dantien practices, as chapter one in the book "Taoist Yoga" describes.

Just my view.

• Like 1

Had the thought the other day that maybe what people think of as "enlightenment" or the non-experience of non-duality is really the same thing as the end point of taoist alchemy. What do people think?

When yin and yang are "cooked" by putting various fiery essences under a big pot of yin essence is the steam that emerges the same "thing" as non-duality?

Well, the vapor is a side effect (to watch out for though, as any cook knows, for if too much of it escapes, you burn what you've been cooking, and if too little, you may end up with a dish that's too watery... did you know, e.g., that boiled potatoes need to be "de-vaporized" when ready or else you will never know what a superior potato tastes like? -- an ancient trick :lol:). It's not the vapor that you are trying to produce (unlike in all those anti-matter modalities bent on insubstantial pursuits), it's the Pill.

The Pill contains the roaring tigress and the soaring dragon. It contains a passionate embrace of yin by yang. It contains a scale in perfect balance, holding eternity in exquisite equilibrium, and a spark to throw it off. It contains the beauty of order and the power of disorder. It contains non-duality within duality, and vice versa. Darkness within darkness, as Laozi put it, without making a peep about the light of "enlightenment," a non-taoist pursuit. The inside of the Pill is dark. The outside shines. Taoists don't have a problem with duality until they mingle with Buddhists who have mingled with the Hindu Advaita gang. That's because wuji is not a destination, it's a gas station where tao refills her tank before zipping off on her magnificent way of power. :)

• Like 2

hm probably irrelevant, especially considering the topic (mini self- :lol:) but do you mean 'Wu Wei', woo way?

Funny thing about it i thought the time it took to walk here from the college, if it is the effortless approach, then perhaps my path of least resistence might even be to be full of resistence, but as long as the effort put into struggling is in fact effortless by comparison to any alternative, then that is, in fact, wu wei. no?

Food for thought (fish is brain food).

On another related note, i was reading the Tao of Pooh.

The tao of who?

Pooh.

The how of Pooh?

Exactly.

relax, if, in your heart, you really must try, dont try so hard

if you can rip off the government in some way shape or form because they know everything is infinite they just try to mess with people, its a think for yourself campaign, even though they should just be open to begin with and save us all the trouble and stress.. now at least someone's admitted it

question everything, then laugh at the ridiculousness of your conclusions and know nothing

they just want to test you to see if you are CONSCIOUS, like living in an enlightened way, then they return the same vibe

refuse to work and only sleep and meditate be truly still and look at things your think are beautiful becoming one with nature which you always are and see what happens

the incredible peacekeeping power of now

Edited by eternalnoob

I dunno. I don't think you enter Wuji though. It's more like the other way around and you don't enter.

Sorry, I just mean you're part of it already. But that's my current personal bias and I might be wrong.

• Like 1

I think you are on the right track.

By definition, let me make the radical statement that reality exists (we can get sidetracked by debate on this point but I simply want to use it as a starting point).

Then the mind creates ways in which to try and capture that reality, understand it, explain it, reduce it to a precise and rational definition. Because if the mind can capture it in words or images, it feels more secure - in control. Then it can move on to other things.

But the mind can never capture it because it is beyond mental constructs.

It is from whence mental constructs arise but it transcends those constructs.

it is no-thing, it is meaning-less, it is beyond thought.

And every culture has developed their own unique way of approaching this problem of what is reality and how can I define and understand it? And these approaches reflect the cultural, social, and geographical characteristics of their origins. And they are all different "colored" fingers pointing at the moon.

And it's extremely entertaining to me to watch them argue with each other.

It's like the image of 5 blind people standing around an elephant and feeling different parts and fighting over whether it's a snake or a tree or horn or smelly mud!

:lol:

Keep investigating those ideas of yours - you probably understand more deeply than many folks who will answer your questions.

Including me!

:lol:

• Like 2

Hi, I hope this answer helps:

Firstly Wuji cannot be entered as such because what it is trying to describe is nonduality. For one to 'enter' something there must be 'other'. Hope you don't think I'm picking at words.

Yin and Yang does not exist - it might help to view the black and white symbol as something to remind us that what we consider to be black and white or light and shade are a single whole (i.e. the circle). This I feel is the true teaching of the symbol - not that light contains dark but that light is suchness expressed as light and dark is suchness expressed as dark; where is there difference.

To 'Awaken' or 'merge with the Tao' is to notice something before our eyes that we mostly overlook - what is inside is what is outside. Buddha noticed it while glancing at Venus, Moses saw its presence alight in the bush, Bodhidharma in the cave wall and so on.

Hope this helps a little!

Heath

• Like 1

On 2011/12/19 at 3:42 AM, liminal_luke said:

Buddhist type of   "enlightenment" or the non-experience of non-duality is hardly anything  the end point of Daoist alchemy  because  in most cases, those people achieved it are  in fact , just nourishing a  yin-type of mind .  A yin-type mind , although  having some supernatural abilities and looks powerful , is still entangled by aging and death ;  that means,  it is incapable of  grasping its  destiny in its own hands .  And, without having refined with jing and qi , it is said to be a yin-shen  . Unable to stop leakages of  jing and shen are the main causes of it . 

To be fair , some Zen  masters , by solely doing some emptied Mind stuff, do get  very healthy bodies or some  teeth  reborn ,yet  it is not  enough .  In fact, a mind that explores  emptiness is like digging well  for water , it is only after your having  reached certain depth that  water /jing ( of course talking about its pre-heavenly form)  oozes  out .  So ,  from Daoist perspective , one of the most important criteria to judge  whether  your cultivation of emptiness does  well or not ,  depends on how  thorough it changes the physical body .

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, exorcist_1699 said:

To be fair , some Zen  masters , by solely doing some emptied Mind stuff, do get  very healthy bodies or some  teeth  reborn ,yet  it is not  enough .  

Many Zen masters and monks practice Niedan.  These results could be from Niedan, and Buddhist pranayama practices, or a combination of different methods.

Sign in to follow this