Mattimo

The fallacy of energy and language.

I have no intention of maliciously criticizing any previous posts/posters; however, I believe that the use of esoteric jargon largely serves to deviate one from truth. To provide an example, frankly, the dialogue of 'energy-this or energy-that,' on-the-level-of-verbal-communication, is unsubstantial, meaningless and counter-productive. Moreover, I believe that referencing the word/concept 'energy' in an externalized and dissociative manner may often be delusional/incorrect. I do not mean to imply that my statement is absolute and that one should never reference the word 'energy' in dialogue. However, what I am sincerely trying to convey and/or suggest is that discussing and referencing the word 'energy' is potentially dangerous to one's spiritual progress because of one's identification with a word, which represents a concept, that is presumed to be official, objective, and universally comprehended. Therefore, people may inevitably explore and reference 'energy' purely in a mental and/or imaginative, dissociative and ultimately unreal manner. Similarly, the fallacy I am trying to address is present when relating and/or referencing one's body in a segregated manner. i.e. 'my arm, my leg, my foot, etc.' Being conscious and aware of one's relationship, comprehension and utilization of/with language may be a profound means for spiritual growth and/or the expansion of awareness.

Certainly nearly all of us have read about the trap of identifying/associating words with the actual thing/perception/experience the word represents. Yet, I believe most of us (myself included) have not/do not attempt to fully digest and live by the profundity of that simple fact. Indeed, yet another aspect of the mind is to want to move on to the next concept or idea and not embrace the simplicity of truth.

Likely, everything I have written is intellectually obvious to nearly everyone. The question I ask myself is: do I have the courage to face the fact that my relationship with language may represent a defence mechanism that hides the ultimate reality of unknowingness'

I actually agree with you even though I do sometimes speak of energy and Chi (which I consider energy).

But I have never tried to personify or reify it.

(I just had to use that word "reify". Hehehe.)

Well said, Mattimo..............:)

I tried to tell everyone that Chi does not mean 'energy'. It could meant something else too. However, the word "Chi" is just locked in people's mind which cannot be erased. In my understanding, Chi may have one of its meanings as "energy" but we cannot refer that "Chi" as "energy" all the time. It was because, sometimes, Chi does not have the meaning as energy based on the context.

Edited by ChiDragon

Do you mean that the language solidifies the concept making one more dogmatic instead of openminded?

[snip] that is presumed to be official, objective, and universally comprehended

I haven't heard anyone claim that. In fact I see more of a questioning around here regarding the various energies and so on.

Energy could be reduced to sensations in the body / mind, but then again sensations could be further reduced ad infinitum.

The question I ask myself is: do I have the courage to face the fact that my relationship with language may represent a defence mechanism that hides the ultimate reality of unknowingness'

Wittgenstein said "There are, indeed, things that cannot be put into words. They make themselves manifest. They are what is mystical."

and, of course,

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

Language is what we have and we benefit from communicating. The thing we need to do is have a sense of humour about it's limitations and a light touch which always holds the awareness that the map is not the territory.

We can hold unknowingness alongside optimal articulacy ~ it's discipline in itself, as well as a game.

• Like 1