Sign in to follow this  
zerostao

book of five rings

i recently finished reading

http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Artists-Book-Five-Rings/dp/0804830207

i was wondering if any bums have a version (translation) of this book that they found useful?

Kaufman's isn't a translation its an interpretation given he can't read the original source material.

I have 4 or 5 translations, as well as the old Japanese and it translated into modern Japanese. If you like this or similar texts, read as many translations as you can get a hold of, they all bring something to the table.

Everyone will read into it uniquely, based upon their prior experience.

• Like 3

My favorite is the William Scott Wilson translation. I probably own 3 or 4 translations and have read several more over the years.

You might also enjoy Musashi by E. Yoshikawa, This is i fictional book, but might just provide you with more that entertainment.... :ph34r:

• Like 1

I have Cleary's.

It's doing time on a table somewhere if anyone wants it. Seems I'm just not into the martial aspect of it and the non-martial is great but I don't want to feel like I'm doing anything on purpose. It's like "Art of War". Maybe if I start sword fighting I'll be into it again.

The chapters on closing the mind-gap (the gap that mind creeps into) are great IMO.

• Like 1

I have Cleary's.

It's doing time on a table somewhere if anyone wants it. Seems I'm just not into the martial aspect of it and the non-martial is great but I don't want to feel like I'm doing anything on purpose. It's like "Art of War". Maybe if I start sword fighting I'll be into it again.

The chapters on closing the mind-gap (the gap that mind creeps into) are great IMO.

raises hand:) i like cleary. i do enjoy straight sword but i dont expect to do much sword fighting myself. especially holding 2 swords at same time. but i do like the insights given. and what i have been told is that sword training sharpens the mind.

raises hand:) i like cleary. i do enjoy straight sword but i dont expect to do much sword fighting myself. especially holding 2 swords at same time. but i do like the insights given. and what i have been told is that sword training sharpens the mind.

Do you want it (the copy I have)?

Cause right now it's just sitting there. Maybe a sharp conversation piece at some point but I don't know too many MA folks where I live so hmm, it's one of those posey books right now. I have a bunch of those:-)

Also, since it's it's stoned reindeer festival, I still have another copy of BK Frantzis' "Relaxing into your being". I was convinced I'd already gotten rid of the second copy but seems not:-)

It's like "Art of War".

Agreed, but I feel 5 Rings, like the Art of War, to be VERY applicable to ALL aspects of living.

“The true science of martial arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they will be useful in all things.”

― Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings: Miyamoto Musashi

Practice to be a martial artist

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Do you want it (the copy I have)?

Cause right now it's just sitting there. Maybe a sharp conversation piece at some point but I don't know too many MA folks where I live so hmm, it's one of those posey books right now. I have a bunch of those:-)

Also, since it's it's stoned reindeer festival, I still have another copy of BK Frantzis' "Relaxing into your being". I was convinced I'd already gotten rid of the second copy but seems not:-)

yes on the Book of Five Rings. i doubt i could ever get any more relaxer than i already am. i wish i have some book here to exchange with you?

Alrights ZT!

PM me with the address, I don't think I have it.

I had an interesting conversation about what I guess might be called "over-relaxation" a month or 2 ago. I think the guy had some good points to make. Also some concerns I'd read elsewhere about breathing exercises and lung health, although I reckon it's unlikely to happen to most folks engaging in qi-gong.

Alrights ZT!

PM me with the address, I don't think I have it.

I had an interesting conversation about what I guess might be called "over-relaxation" a month or 2 ago. I think the guy had some good points to make. Also some concerns I'd read elsewhere about breathing exercises and lung health, although I reckon it's unlikely to happen to most folks engaging in qi-gong.

interesting about the over-relaxation and lung health. i willz pm ya:) and thank you , kind bum!

Sign in to follow this