Sign in to follow this  
humbleone

Trouble distinguishing dream state from awake state

Couple of weeks ago, I picked up the pace of my practice by adding some of Bruce Frantzis water based methods.

Namely I added zhuang zhang(basic wuji pose) for about 10 minutes and the spinal stretch x3.

I do take plenty of breaks, I usually skip a day, sometimes two days in-between practice. My entire practice is about 20 minutes. frankly I don't quite understand why I have such exterme sensitivity to ANY form of practice?

One issue that jumped up in high grear about a week ago is a big change in my dream state. I am very aware of my dreams at night, I am always in them. They unfold like a movie with me being in it. At times I have trouble coming out of the dream. Last night I slept for about 12 hours.(I am also fighting a cold, which my body seems to heal)

When i do wake up I am quite restful, but the drama that unfolds everynight is starting to become troublesome and disruptive. I feel like I am taken through a ringer everynight

your thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hum, seems like it happens to a few that until one can realign one's mental activity with reality then states blend a bit. I have this idea about inflammation from too much mind-watching causing it. It ought to settle down but as usual I'd say cut back, go see a teacher. More physical exercise and better breathing?

Hum, seems like it happens to a few that until one can realign one's mental activity with reality then states blend a bit. I have this idea about inflammation from too much mind-watching causing it.

sorry k, could you elaborate a bit, not sure what you are saying?

two nights ago, I came out of the dream world, totally disoriented, not sure where I was. I had to roll over and physically touch my wife, then the realization that I am here in the physical world, a husband, a father, a job! then I dived right back into the dream world again :)

humbleone...

How long have you been practicing and what else you are practicing....???

It seems to me if you were practicing Chi Kung in meditation. During the transient period from the beginning to the next level, it will cause a mental effect temporarily. Eventually, it will go away.

sorry k, could you elaborate a bit, not sure what you are saying?

two nights ago, I came out of the dream world, totally disoriented, not sure where I was. I had to roll over and physically touch my wife, then the realization that I am here in the physical world, a husband, a father, a job! then I dived right back into the dream world again :)

It's just an idea I have. When it comes to reality, a person is in alignment or not with all parts of it.Both inside (emotionally and intellectually and spiritually) and outside (environment, events, people etc) That's a bit of a side-topic and a personal opinion though:-)

In meditation (of course of which there are many types) there seems to be a phase or phases where "old reality" comes up for "processing" - which is also (one?) of the functions of dreaming. I was thinking about the yi/qi/blood relationship and pondered that a lot of meditation which uses mind-focus "too much in the head" could actually lead to inflammation in the brain tissues which could cause the type of issue you're referring to but it's really speculation on my part. As Chi-dragon suggests, it will pass but I also like to suggest caution:-) It's not a race:-)

What helps me relax and sleep, and assimilate new energies:

.. before going to bed ..

- self-acupressure (various places, whatever feels good, not getting into level of acupoint selection here)

- stretch

MsgBacknobber.jpg

Sounds like you're making great progress. Really.

You can learn a lot of secret things from the darker parts of the dream world that will help you in your spiritual practice. Savor this time. Remember that you are good, pure and light...and just visiting these realms. :lol:

It's like an adventure.

Sometimes a lot of it seems meaningless though. Maybe keep a dream journal to help sort things out.

Zhan zhuang does have the effect of purifying at very deep levels, and will definitely put you "through the ringer". But purification is good.

The unconscious that is stored within your body becomes subconscious, and you have weird dreams...then it becomes conscious and is released as your emotions, or just as extra purified energy and awareness. Breathing continuously helps transmute the negative into positive. Your positive choices and intent shape who you will become as energy is released for your use...be good, pure, simple, happy, loving.

Some ideas.

• Like 3

Before you go to sleep at night, consciously remember to look at your hands in your dream. Then when you look at your hands in your dream, you will become lucid.

Couple of weeks ago, I picked up the pace of my practice by adding some of Bruce Frantzis water based methods.

Namely I added zhuang zhang(basic wuji pose) for about 10 minutes and the spinal stretch x3.

I do take plenty of breaks, I usually skip a day, sometimes two days in-between practice. My entire practice is about 20 minutes. frankly I don't quite understand why I have such exterme sensitivity to ANY form of practice?

One issue that jumped up in high grear about a week ago is a big change in my dream state. I am very aware of my dreams at night, I am always in them. They unfold like a movie with me being in it. At times I have trouble coming out of the dream. Last night I slept for about 12 hours.(I am also fighting a cold, which my body seems to heal)

When i do wake up I am quite restful, but the drama that unfolds everynight is starting to become troublesome and disruptive. I feel like I am taken through a ringer everynight

your thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hey humbleone.

The best thing you can do is start a dream journal. Write down what is going on and take a look at it after a week, two weeks, etc, in order to ascertain themes and patterns and look at your associations with any recurring images and themes. Read your dreams like poetry and listen to them as you would to a close friend. What is your unconscious busily communicating to you? Once you begin listening, the message can evolve. We all need to be heard in order to shift. Your unconscious is talking to you avidly at he moment, sounds like you have freed up something that wants to be integrated. Good Luck with it.:)

• Like 2

Thank you all for your replies, I found your suggestions very helpful.

Following up on the advice given, I did a small preparation(2-3 minutes) before falling asleep. simple stretching, accupressure and getting myself together. best thing I did last night was to put a notepad and pen at my nightstand.

So bedtime around 11PM, wakeup at 7AM. Two dreams last night.

I wrote down the first dream around 2AM. The second one around 6:30AM. Again stressful, very uncomfortable night. However upon wakeup, I am refreshed, relaxed.

Thankfully the dreams are NOT what I feared, no deamons chasing me or torture etc, more like everyday life with a twist, and quite a twist it is.

The dreams appear to be very well scripted, pre-planned like a movie. certainly something my conscious mind couldn't write. This opens up a whole new world to me, thanks again. journal writing is a great idea, otherwise my dreams expire within 1-2 hours of wake-up...

• Like 1

best thing I did last night was to put a notepad and pen at my nightstand.

That's a keeper. B)

Sign in to follow this