Sign in to follow this  
LaughingNumbSkull

What are the basics of Buddhism?

I've been practicing theravada and zen. I was wondering what are the basics to practice with these types of buddhism?

Homer%2Bmeditating%2Band%2BLevitating%2Byogatailor%2Bcom.jpg

Sorry about the levity, but I thought you were pulling our legs by asking a circular question; how do you know what you're practicing if you don't know the basics? ;)

Edited by Encephalon

Impermanence, Non-self, and Unsatisfactoriness and three characteristics of all experiences.

The four noble truths: suffering, cause of suffering, nirvana, eightfold path

Theravada methods split into shamatha concentration and vipassana insight practices.

Zen, imo, has no basics other than zazen, and "not always so" as aptly said by shunryu suzuki. Haha! Maybe that sums up all buddhism. But Zen is more of a show than a tell. Zen parables don't teach you doctrine, they display wisdom.

Impermanence, Non-self, and Unsatisfactoriness and three characteristics of all experiences.

The four noble truths: suffering, cause of suffering, nirvana, eightfold path

Theravada methods split into shamatha concentration and vipassana insight practices.

Zen, imo, has no basics other than zazen, and "not always so" as aptly said by shunryu suzuki. Haha! Maybe that sums up all buddhism. But Zen is more of a show than a tell. Zen parables don't teach you doctrine, they display wisdom.

Thank you, I'm starting with learning the four noble truths. I want to build a solid foundation for the basics.

Zen is part of Mahayana, so studies on Empintess and dependent origination are helpful to understand where the haikus and riddles are coming from philosphically (though they are great for immediate experiential understandings all on their own). The Lankavatara Sutra, and Nagarjuna's teaching on the Middle Path are pretty central. The Pali cannon also talks a fair bit about Emptiness in discussing Right View.

I highly recommend the 2nd edition of Dwight Goddards compilation "A Buddhist Bible."

Of course, meditation practice of basically any kind to get started.

Where are you with them now? How have you been practicing?

Best

H.E.

(edited to change studying for practing)

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Thank you, I'm starting with learning the four noble truths. I want to build a solid foundation for the basics.

Watch the Dalai Lama's talk on The Four Noble Truths (netflix). http://www.amazon.com/Dalai-Lama-Four-Noble-Truths/dp/B00005UO7Q The "key" to all Buddhism is Dependent Origination. The Four Noble Truths are about Dependent Origination. To understand Dependent Origination, find five Absolute Bodhicitta aphorisms, and repeat them numerously, everyday,...for example.

Treat everything you perceive as a dream.

Find the consciousness you had before you were born.

You will never understand Who you are, until you realize When you are.

There is no Present in Time.

Between meditations, treat everything as an illusion.

An Absolute Bodhicitta aphorism is a ground upon which Bodhicitta can be realized. Relative Bodhicitta aphorisms are fine,...but only address the relative.

"Relative and absolute,

These the two truths are declared to be.

The absolute is not within the reach of intellect,

For the intellect is grounded in the relative."

Shantideva 9.2

Edited by Vmarco

Sign in to follow this