voidisyinyang

Wheat, small LDL particles and Heart disease

http://books.google.com/books?id=gLvDfla1Jp0C&pg=PA33&dq=amylopectin+A+heart&hl=en&ei=uVDoToLdOsL3gAewgpnLCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%20heart&f=false

This dude is fascinating.

http://www.gnosticmedia.com/wheatismurder

I'm listening to the podcast. I've been real curious about wheat lately. I've learned it has an opiate type protein that is addictive and contributes to schizophrenia. But also this author states that wheat is the number one cause for heart disease. Then there's wheat as a main cause for diabetes -- because the glycemic index of wheat is higher than sucrose. Now he's saying wheat causes leptin resistant -- so people stay hungry from wheat.

In terms of Taoism -- wheat is traditionally for northern china and rice for southern -- am I correct about this? Anyone care to comment?

Anyway I know that there's the three worms of Taosm in terms of eating starches right -- or eating grains yeah.

Anyway he also says that wheat -- the type of fat it creates in the deep belly -- causes all sorts of hormone problems and immune system problems creating arthritis, etc.

I know I've been eating a lot of wheat for various reasons - mainly in Minnesota wheat is a main crop and so everyone eats tons of wheat all the time. I even have a huge bag of organic whole wheat that I use to grow wheat grass and make sprouts. but according to this author -- this is just a lesser form of evil about wheat.

When I did my qigong training I only ate whole grain organic rice. Maybe I ate some wheat but not that I recall. I know rice is considered a well balanced food -- but this author is critical of all grains as carbs.

So he recommends replacing carbs with oils and meat/eggs that are grass fed. Whether a person is vegetarian or not -- it seems like wheat is definitely worth considering to not eat. I had a girlfriend who had celiac sprue and when we removed wheat then her digestion cleared up. But also you can eat mushrooms to counteract inflammation from wheat -- so today I had Artist Conk tea which is the U.S. version of Reishi mushroom (it's related and also anti-cancer and anti-inflammation).

O.K. so I've made a point to eat more mushrooms that I harvest in the forest to counteract wheat. Still the small particle low density lipids in the blood causing heart disease is extremely intriguing. It makes sense and explains why athletes get heart attacks -- especially like runner who rely on high carb wheat diets. I mean people wonder why athletes will get heart attacks even though they exercise a lot.

Obviously medical issues are correlative -- so everyone is different -- it's not linear causality. I'm just mentioning various factors.

Still I think this dude has some very important information about wheat. It's difficult for people to hear since wheat consists of 20% of calories for humans according to the author....

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/product-reviews/1609611543/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_2?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=2&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

The Embryonic Breathing book states that fat is easily converted to chi energy! I had never heard this before but maybe explains why I've seen people become fat when doing qigong training. haha. Still based on this medical doctor's research the fat from wheat is definitely not the way to go -- he says it's better to think of the stomach as an endocrine gland and that wheat fat is a glandular problem....

Edited by fulllotus
  • Like 1

Neat info. I'm wheat free.

I've heard that the ancient Chinese medical classics on diet all say avoid grains (ba gu?) over and over again.

Has anyone ever tried living on vegetables w/out grains? or vegetables and meats but no grains? Thats one diet i haven't tried.

I've heard that the ancient Chinese medical classics on diet all say avoid grains (ba gu?) over and over again.

Do you know what texts say that? Other groups like the Essenes considered bread as the most holy food you could eat.

Do you know what texts say that? Other groups like the Essenes considered bread as the most holy food you could eat.

Wheat has kept the Western world alive for a millennia, not healthy, but alive. Go back 2,000 years and the person who ate bread each day was a lucky blessed man indeed. Once you settle down the hunting goes to hell, many crops store badly, but wheat can do spectacularly well in storage. It is the food of the West, Rome was built on it, Ancient Egypt ransacked for it.

I suspect Drew and ancient Taoists are right. Wheat bad. It becomes an inflammatant in the body.

I've just started going wheat & sugar free 3 days of the week and try to cut down on the other days. Still with the Sabbath I'll break bread, bless it and eat it. Sometimes its not what you eat, but how you eat it.

Cool. What are your favorite grains? How do you like to chef 'em up? And, how do you use not-wheat flours in baking?

Well I eat a lot of rice, last night it was quinoa, the night before, millet. Last night in some soup i mixed up based on fingerling potatoes and brussel sprouts with black beans and corn etc (even a little jalapeno sausage in the mix). The quinoa the night before, in that sweet potato soup i posted the PDF recipe of on TTB last week (still eating the same first batch of it! :) ). Rice i quite often make a thai curry to eat with (mae ploy curry paste, coconut milk, basil, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, veggies and meats!) I try to curry what is seasonal and local, so the last one i made had winter squash as its main ingredient. So you can see a pattern here, i like to eat grains in some kind of soupy or liquidy coating, but thats in the winter. In the summer I might be more inclined to steam or saute some veggies, or to get my grill on. I am big on the seasonal thing.

Basically, eating wheat free means no eating breads. When my lady love and i are really craving some kind of sandwichy something, we eat mexican with corn tortillas, usually at a restaurant we like (good mexican food is limited where i live but its out there). When you stop eating breads, you start to eat a lot more salads. Thats what dinner tonight is gonna be. a HUGE salad... my girlfriend makes these monster organic salads; that is one of her meditations, just chopping onions and radishes and veggies finely and washing the lettuce etc. She makes a no-recipe dressing thats different each night... last time it was based on tahini, olive oil, miso, and lemon juice. So if you want to go wheat free, start eating salads is my advice. Just make a meal out of a huge salad. Even at the co-op or whole foods where the salad bar is organic and 6.99 a lb, i can make a monster salad for less than $10 if i am careful about the weight of the stuff i put in it. My body loves me so much more when i do this..

As to your last question, i don't really bake much. Takes too much time, and i am not keen on recipes. I worked at a local gluten-free bakery and learned a lot about how to do it all, making good breads and pastries with tapioca/potato/rice flour, and my turnovers and tarts are grrreat, but i don't have the patience to do that. If i have 45 minutes to bake and 30 min to clean up after myself, i would rather meditate for 1hr 15min than make turnovers hahahah too much sugar in all that stuff too, and i really don't care a fig about bread. :)

the PDF version of Daniel Reid's The Tao of Health Sex and Longevity that i have is a mess of a scan, and i can't search it for words because my PDF program can't make sense of the fuzzy letters and lopsided pages.

I looked through it and found reference to Chia Ming's Essential Knowledge for Eating and Drinking written in 1368

I also found something that confuses me, that "the ancient Taoist writings on health and longevity we find the words Bi-gu or 'avoid grains' cropping up over and over" (p.57) but i was under the impression that bigu was chinese for "fasting". ??? can anyone clarify this? Thanks.

So i don't know what the Essenes were putting in their bread, but they at it at breakfast and meat at dinner, so at least they weren't mixing their carbs and proteins :)

the PDF version of Daniel Reid's The Tao of Health Sex and Longevity that i have is a mess of a scan, and i can't search it for words because my PDF program can't make sense of the fuzzy letters and lopsided pages.

I looked through it and found reference to Chia Ming's Essential Knowledge for Eating and Drinking written in 1368

I also found something that confuses me, that "the ancient Taoist writings on health and longevity we find the words Bi-gu or 'avoid grains' cropping up over and over" (p.57) but i was under the impression that bigu was chinese for "fasting". ??? can anyone clarify this? Thanks.

So i don't know what the Essenes were putting in their bread, but they at it at breakfast and meat at dinner, so at least they weren't mixing their carbs and proteins :)

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/8888-living-without-food-chi-gong/ This thread links the article I had seen before on the three worms and bigu - -which does translate as without grains. But I did bigu for a week -- Chunyi Lin calls it "energy feasting" -- but you first have to build up your chi strong enough. Then after that it is very intense meditation so needs a special environment. So Chunyi Lin did seven weeks of no food, no water and no sleep but he was in a cave in China. I think it was through http://qigongmaster.com

I've been wheat and rye free for several months now. Such kind of a diet requires more time for cooking but I think it is worth it.

THe author of the WHeat Belly has very convincing points against wheat, mainly because of gluten, but other wheat proteins also.

As for the brown rice, it has both advantages and disadvantages. THere is lectin in the outer layer of rice that is harmful for a body. To counteract lectin, it is advisable to soak brown rice for at least 12 hours before cooking. THis is what traditional cultures do when they live off brown rice.

I've been wheat and rye free for several months now. Such kind of a diet requires more time for cooking but I think it is worth it.

THe author of the WHeat Belly has very convincing points against wheat, mainly because of gluten, but other wheat proteins also.

As for the brown rice, it has both advantages and disadvantages. THere is lectin in the outer layer of rice that is harmful for a body. To counteract lectin, it is advisable to soak brown rice for at least 12 hours before cooking. THis is what traditional cultures do when they live off brown rice.

Thks for that lectin tip -- here's more about rice http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2010/04/practically-paleo-perspective-rice.html

Yeah I know the Ch'an Master in George Crane's book Bones of my master -- he relied on eating potatoes. High in potassium, complete protein, vitamin c. I know Dr. Mercola advises against potatoes for the same reason as wheat -- ah can't remember. haha. Something like lectin.

INTRODUCTION TO THE PALEOLITHIC DIET

www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

Beans too are full of enzyme blockers and lectins. Potatoes contain enzyme blockers, lectins and another family of toxins called glycoalkaloids. Glycoalkaloids ...

The Paleo Diet: Paleo Diet Q & A - 6 January 2010

thepaleodiet.blogspot.com/2010/01/paleo-diet-q-6-january-2010.html

Jan 6, 2010 – Sweet potatoes are different from potatoes in that they do not contain several harmful substances such as saponins and lectins, which may ...

Starch and Lectins - Paleo Hacks.com

paleohacks.com/questions/17384/starch-and-lectins

3 posts - 2 authors - Last post: Dec 30, 2010

In a recent post on Art De Vany's blog he states that starchy vegetables are full of lectins. I eat alot of sweet potato, acorn squash, etc. Should I ..

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

Hey the Palelithic diet is looking pretty good to me right now. I wish I could afford it. haha. I mean grass-fed meat and eggs, etc. Of course for a celibate jing increasing chi creating practice. Not wasting the energy.

Edited by fulllotus

http://whfoods.com/

The George Mateljan Foundation, a not-for-profit foundation with no commercial interests or advertising, is a new force for change to help make a healthier you and a healthier world.

http://whfoods.com/recipestoc.php

The recipes are good and I can recommend them from having tried a few.

This is from The Way of Qigong by Kenneth Cohen:

"The enigmatic principle 'Avoid the Five Cereals or Grains (Bi Gu)' occurs in virtually all ancient works on qigong diet. According to Daoist mythology, the three dan tians at the third eye, heart, and abdomen are infested by three worms. These worms live on the impure breaths (qi) created by immoral behavior, putrid food, and the 'Five Cereals' which are the basis of Chinese cuisine: rice, millet, wheat, oats, and beans. According to a Daoist text, 'The Five Cereals are scissors that cut off life, they rot the five internal organs, they shorten life. If a grain enters your mouth, do not hope for Life Eternal! If you desire not to die, may your intestine be free of it!' A fourth-century meditation classic, The Inner Classic of the Yellow Court, warns that the stench of these grains vexes the soul and stops the embryonic breath."

This is from The Way of Qigong by Kenneth Cohen:

Wow that's hard core -- maybe that's why I get internal tingling and then off-gas shit smell. haha. This advanced qigong diet is SO strict. Geez. I just watched a secret of superfoods vid on youtube and he says to use vinegar to counteract the glycemic index of carbs. So yeah when I have sugar I definitely get the internal tingles and shit smell off-gassing out of my brain. So it makes sense that grain would do this since it has such a high glycemic index. I mean whole grain is lower... but then they say to soak it to get rid of the lectins, etc. Wheat grass seems to be the best way to go with wheat but actually that increases the sugar level as well. It's pretty sweet. I used to take tons of vinegar to stop the internal tingling shit off-gassing. But actually we can convert the impure food energy into chi -- so the real problem was that I just kept transmitting the chi I had generated without purifying my energy more. So now I stopped transmitting chi so then the internal tingling is not so bad. I still get it from bad food -- wheat, fruit, milk - -anything with high glycemic index. I should start taking a bit more vinegar again. So I think that meditation on its own does a lot to also go against bad food -- for example Chunyi Lin said he can create all the proteins he needs from the chi energy. haha.

Seriously though food is an energy imbalance that must be purified - it does increase the jing energy but still has to be transformed into chi.

Indeed that is super hardcore. I just ate a bowl of granola with rice milk. Now my 3 worms are wriggling with joy!! I would like to try a vegetables plus meat diet without grains for a while and see how i feel. That will be next methinks

Indeed, the paragraph I quoted from Ken Cohen is very hardcore... but then, later in the chapter, he totally handwaves the issue and says it's fine to eat grains (though he recommends limiting carbohydrates to something like 40% of the diet, which I have to give him some credit for. But the gist of the chapter is that he says, "all the old Taoist texts say don't eat grains at all, but I actually think it's okay in moderation."

Personally, I don't have any particular agenda in sharing this information, although I have been reading up on the issue lately. Mark Sisson's work (The Primal Blueprint, marksdailyapple.com) is very interesting, and I have to give Gary Taubes (Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat) the big ups for saying what no one else seems to want to.

Based on what I've read so far, I am experimenting with gradually reducing my sugar and grain intake. We'll see if it has any positive effects. I don't have any fat to lose but like most of us, I'm going for optimum health!

• Like 1

Read up on my posts about the raw food diet.

The diet I practice is basically "moderate carb" raw.

Gabriel Cousens has it right in a 3 phase diet. Phase 1 has you eaten nothing sweet, except for small amounts of low glycemic berries and grapefruit in raw salads. The rest you can eat all the veggies and veggie fruits you want but none of the starchy veggies like carrots, tubers, etc. Only the zucchinni and yellow squashes. Also mung and adzuki sprouts are ok in moderation. I'd say of the long shoot type sprouts not the skimp tailed ones. Snow and snap peas are good here.

Each phase is phase 3-6 months. Phase 1.5 has allows the same fruits that you could eat in salads for phase 1 but more sporadically, ie separate from salads, etc. But since it's a moderate carb diet you don't ever make fruits the main part of the diet, only eaten in moderation. Non-stored grains are also allowed here but never in excess, if even at all.

Phase 2 you are allowed to eat higher glycemic fruits like apples, pears, etc. and high glycemic fruits very rarely. Non-stored Grains and tubers also rarely. Only sprouted. If at all really.

Soaked nuts and seeds are good sources of protein on this diet, with much emphasis on keeping the omega 3 to 6 ratio a 1:1 to 1:4. Also good source of concentrated protein is making a green smoothie filled with any of the greens you like.. but emphasizing on baby greens, microgreens/green sprouts, microalgae (ie spirulina/chlorella/AFA), seaweeds, grasses, forage greens etc. And perhaps a nutmilk. Really good way to get in the protein. Maybe some snow or snap peas, carob powder, or some maca can be good here for palatability. Not even necessary if you're used to eaten greens on their own. Low glycemic acid fruits would mix well here with the nut milks. If not using nut milk then you can use any other fruit.

Of course... in this diet sprouts are probably a must to make up for the fact that the most popular raw foods can be cold/yin in nature, but when sprouted they are full of enzyme activity, nutrients are predigested and more bioavailable, nutrient content is higher, etc. Many of the goitrogenic factors would be non-existent in the baby green/microgreen phase. Also making sure not to eat food that is too physically cold of course. Gabriel Cousens cites some studies in his book Spiritual Nutrition that in fact heated food can be detrimental to the body, denaturing proteins, making cis turn into trans-fats, devitalizing the qi aspect of a food (with the enzyme activity) making them higher glycemic etc. but also taking in a food that is physically hot temperature wise can be detrimental for the enzymes in the mouth and in the gut.. also making the food acidic and altering the organic nature of the food.

The sprouts to focus on are the microgreens/sprout greens and shoots. Sprouting also saves money because buying seeds in bulk and growing them on your own is a lot cheaper. Just find a good source of water and set everything up. At first it'll take effort to set things up and get into the rhythm but then it'll become a lifestyle.

Gabriel Cousens is one of the only raw food pioneers promoting the LOW GLYCEMIC/LOW-MODERATE CARB raw diet. When the body makes the shift to become more of a fat metabolizer (by focusing on monounsaturated fats aka omega 9 oleic acid from raw soaked nuts/seeds), moderating the carb intake and the glycemic index, you become more insulin sensitive, and optimizing glucagon (breaks fats down) levels. So for exercise you will start using fats for energy and the sugar you do get from the good goes straight to the nervous system where it should be going and also stored as glycogen instead of fat. The fat metabolism is actually according to Gabriel Cousens the optimal system to use, while the sugar based metabolism is for emergencies, ie glycogen, to get quick and strong boosts of energy for emergency purposes. So instead of your body constantly burning off glycogen for no reason it will turn to the fat for energy by normal physical exercise ie endurance type exercise.

Just like the Zone diet. Fats also provide more calories per gram.

Also a high carb diet leads to higher glycation end products which translates to aging.

3 Major factors of aging are: devitalization by running out of enzyme activity in the body, glycation end products and calcification of the bones.

Edited by Spirit of the Tiger

I think starches just aren't natural foods for us. We have to sprout them to get rid of the lectins otherwise they are not food for us. Even the birds the natural seed eaters prefer sprouts. The easiest to digest of the carbs are the fruits. But if you look at all the recent researches on diet you'll also see that a diet high in carbohydrates contributes more towards aging than one of low carbohydrate. And that also agrees with the paleo diet principles. It is perfectly possible to do this as a raw vegan. There is unwarranted fear against "PUFAS AND MUFAS" aka polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats simply because of the need for omega 3s. It also has steered many away from vaulable nutrition in nuts and sees because they contain "excess omega 6s". Actually nuts and seeds contain a lot more omega 9 than omega 6, and that doesn't disturb your omega fatty acid ratio as long as you focus on the omega9s being the "filler" source of fats and focus on using flaxseed and chia seed to balance the ratio of omega 3s to 6s.

Edited by Spirit of the Tiger

If i remember they only ate sprouted grains, and the Essene bread I used to get is very moist and tingly, as it is alive...

If i remember they only ate sprouted grains, and the Essene bread I used to get is very moist and tingly, as it is alive...

So its sounds like sprouted organic wheat is o.k. along with wheatgrass. I have a big bag -- maybe 30 pounds or more of organic wheat that I use for sprouts and wheatgrass. Which reminds me I blogged on wheat sprouts and semen. Because it's strange -- I've never "tasted" semen -- at least not intentionally. haha. But ironically when I was sublimated a lot I actually got this strange taste from internally sublimating semen. then when I was having lots of wheat sprouts it tasted the same. So then I research it and sure enough yogis are on record saying wheat sprout increases semen and there's research to back it up: http://naturalresonancerevolution.blogspot.com/2011/06/more-sfq-stuff-breathing-and-energy.html

• Like 1

I don't get where the anti-lecithin stuff comes from..? Lecithin bascially provides the matter for every cell in our body, is excellent for the brain, and also for joint cartilage. Why exactly do people want to avoid lecithin?

I don't get where the anti-lecithin stuff comes from..? Lecithin bascially provides the matter for every cell in our body, is excellent for the brain, and also for joint cartilage. Why exactly do people want to avoid lecithin?

Actually it's lectin. Close to lecithin but not the same.

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

So according to that link the specific lock that binds wheat lectin...glucosamine

it's the main ingredient in mushrooms!! So yeah if we eat mushrooms -- that should help. Also the lectin makes the blood clump -- but cayenne thins the blood platelets -- so cayenne should help also.

[PDF]

MUSHROOMS: SOURCES FOR MODERN WESTERN MEDICINE

www.oystermushrooms.net/kurtzman.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

by RH KURTZMAN JR - 2005 - Related articles

Chitin is the primary structural material in mushrooms and has been shown to be of value as dietary fiber. It can also be hydrolyzed to glucosamine, which is ...

Nutritional value of mushrooms widely consumed in Italy - Elsevier

linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0308814600003046

by P Manzi - 2001 - Cited by 164 - Related articles

Dried mushrooms (Boletus group) after cooking show the highest nutritional .... Levels of chitin (expressed as glucosamine) and beta-glucans in mushroomsa ...

Edited by fulllotus

Actually it's lectin. Close to lecithin but not the same.

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

So according to that link the specific lock that binds wheat lectin...glucosamine

it's the main ingredient in mushrooms!! So yeah if we eat mushrooms -- that should help. Also the lectin makes the blood clump -- but cayenne thins the blood platelets -- so cayenne should help also.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thing about mushrooms though is they are really high in phosphorus. Phosphorus is also necessary but it should be in balance with calcium 2cal to 1phos, and phosphorus is much easier to get (corn is 1cal to 20phos). Hardy leafs like kale and dandelion and cabbage are important to counter all the phosphorus in most peoples diets.. just an aside...

http://books.google.com/books?id=gLvDfla1Jp0C&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=amylopectin+wheat+heart+disease&source=bl&ots=RFqF6wS7BK&sig=8-dMLlxHxf_ZmTeYjRenckeICc0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CPHrTruvDcvnggfg_ZngCA&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=amylopectin%20&f=false

pages 33-4 are the real zingers in his book -- amylopectin A found in wheat is so easily turned into glucose that it has a higher glycemic index than sucrose.

Whole grain bread has a higher glycemic index than a Snickers bar.

!!!!!

Fascinatingly he says pasta is a lower glycemic index because it's compressed. But he says it can still increase blood sugar too high for some people.

O.K. Chunyi Lin told someone that he likes to eat spaghetti. haha.

Anyway it's the Amylopectin A that is the reason wheat creates so much small low density lipids in the blood that leads to plaque and heart diease. Because it also causes glycation....

Glycation (sometimes called non-enzymatic glycosylation) is the result of the bonding of a protein or lipid molecule with a sugar molecule, such as fructose or glucose, without the controlling action of an enzyme. All blood sugars are reducing molecules.
Edited by fulllotus