Sign in to follow this  
Zone Trooper

Confession

Gotta confess something to y'all. I'm not Taoist, Buddhist or any other Eastern religion for that matter. I'm not trolling or trying to start a debate. I practice a Western religion, but am sorta on the fringes with it. Not losing faith, just not in the center of the bell-shaped curve, you might say. Always have been.

But the practices like Chikung, Asian martial arts and whatnot seem like a natural and a no-brainer to me. I'm kinda high-strung and depressive by nature and find that Chikung and meditation seem to have more practical benefit than the traditional prayer within my own religion. Prayer has its value, without a doubt, but after I get done praying when stressed, I'm still stressed. Like I have to open up a separate relief valve afterwards. Chikung or a good martial workout centers me up almost without fail. Gotta keep it on the low-down within the body of fellow believers due to the perceived "wrongness" of it. (Then why does it work so darn well?)

Causes me to think that through trial-and-error God wanted me to find these methods. Someone else's differing religion and viewpoints don't threaten my way of life, but rather give me another perspective and a need to really practice respect and tolerance. Plus I have some really good friends of the Buddhist and Taoist persuasion.

In the last several months in our household we had a variety of family crises. We are mostly through them, with a few aftershocks. These kinds of things really let you know who your friends are. Some highly educated and high-ranking persons within our faith basically dropped the ball and showed their true colors when they were called upon for advice or just for us to vent. On the other hand, some unexpected people, Buddhists, and some of no apparent religion really came through. Gave me a lot to think about and cause for some re-arranging of my social life.

I guess the point I'm trying to make in this rambling rant is that good people and your friends are just that, regardless of who or how they worship. Keeping it real and making the rubber meet the road seem more important than a lot of flowery talk, blah-blah doctrine and self-righteousness.

So, in conclusion, thanks to everyone who's keeping it real, wherever you are. B)

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

- 1 John 4:18

I guess the point I'm trying to make in this rambling rant is that good people and your friends are just that, regardless of who or how they worship. Keeping it real and making the rubber meet the road seem more important than a lot of flowery talk, blah-blah doctrine and self-righteousness.

So, in conclusion, thanks to everyone who's keeping it real, wherever you are. B)

Yeah, it did take you a little rambling in order to get to the point.

But I do agree with you. As long as we can remember that our religious beliefs are personal we have a much better chance of having productive discussions.

As you are interested in "Automotives" I thought this might interest you. I am presently restoring (as well as an amateur can) a 1984 Honda Civic Wagovan (Shuttle) electric vehicle. It was converted to electric in 1985. I currently have it operational and safe for the roads. Working on the body right now. Lots of Bondo being used.

Sign in to follow this