lifeforce

What Is Non-Duality ?

Jeff Foster does a very nice job of discussing non-duality.

Thanks for that link.

Steven Harrison is good as well - The Question to Life's Answers was particularly good reading for me.

Jeff Foster does a very nice job of discussing non-duality.

Thanks for that link.

Steven Harrison is good as well - The Question to Life's Answers was particularly good reading for me.

Yeah I have research on http://nonduality.com/hempel.htm that I expanded into a book for free download at my blog http://naturalresonancerevolution.blogspot.com Still I just discovered this dude's research and it's closely related to my own take on nonduality:

http://sharp.bu.edu/~slehar/McGovern/LeharSummary.html

The harmonic resonance theory of spatial representation finally offers a plausible solution to the profound spatial problem in the brain, that circumvents the combinatorial problems inherent in a neural network or spatial template solution to this problem. The spatial standing wave is far more flexible and adaptive than the corresponding neural receptive field, because the standing wave is not anchored to the tissue of the brain, and thus it can rotate and translate and flex elastically within the tissue of the brain, without the need for explicit spatial templates for every one of the possible shapes that it can take. Standing waves can also define cyclic patterns of motion in motor control, as evident in the wavelike undulations of fish and snakes, and the periodic/cyclic motion of a centipedes' feet. Harmonic resonance, by its nature, promotes both symmetry and periodicity in simple and compound hierarchical forms, and that preference for symmetry and periodicity is clearly manifest throughout human aesthetic design. It is seen in the symmetry and periodicity of ornamental design, from Gothic cathedrals to the Alhambra, from patterns on wallpaper and fabric, to pots and vases. All of these are manifestations of higher resonances in the brain.

So I call this the natural resonance revolution -- the idea being that nonduality is actually the resonance of complementary opposites as an eternal process. Nonduality is often thought of in static terms -- I had made this mistake for a while. but then I realized it is eternal listening - what Ramana Maharshi calls Mouna Samadhi -- silence. So in Taoism yin is 3:4 and yang is 2:3 and these are the eternal complementary opposite harmonics of natural resonance -- called the Perfect Fifth and Perfect Fourth in the Pythagorean Tetrad. So it's a process that is eternal and we can't see it. In quantum physics it's called the time-frequency uncertainty principle. Still there are forms that help this process of complementary opposites resonate -- but since the resonance is eternal it can not be "contained" or measured by Western definitions of infinity using irrational magnitude, etc.

I have proposed elsewhere an alternative paradigm of neurocomputation in the Harmonic Resonance theory (Lehar 1999), whereby pattern recognition and completion are performed by spatial standing waves across the neural substrate. The standing waves perform a computational function analogous to that of the spatial receptive fields of the neural network approach, except that unlike that paradigm, a single resonance mechanism performs a function equivalent to a whole array of spatial receptive fields of different spatial configuration and of different orientations, and thereby avoids the combinatorial explosion inherent in the older paradigm.

So he says a "single resonance mechanism" -- that is very similar to nondualism in my opinion -- obviously he's writing from a science perspective so it's not really nondualism. But I think he's grasping at the idea of nondualism - the philosophy. http://cns-alumni.bu.edu/~slehar/webstuff/dirhr2/dirhr2.html

I propose that it is harmonic resonance that couples the electrical activation

across the whole brain into a single synchronized harmonic oscillation, in which

individual specialized brain areas each contribute their component of the

oscillation. But the resonance in every brain area is instantly and immediately

influenced by the resonance in every other brain area simultanously, like the

different parts of a musical instrument sharing the vibraton of a note being played.

The vibration is like a ghostly pattern superimposed on the tissue of the cortex,

although moving somewhat independently of that tissue, so as to be near invisible

to a tissue-anchored electrode, manifesting itself only as an otherwise mysterious

synchrony between distant cortical regions. It is this synchrony, the holistic

emergent intercoupling of innumerable parts into an integrated whole, that is the

explanation for the unity of conscious experience, for the simultaneous and

parallel experience of our visual field, our body field, and the space around us, all

at once and in fixed relation to each other in a single space....Harmonic resonance is the force that organizes planets in their orbits, and stars in

their galaxies. And it is harmonic resonance that binds the individual activations of

countless billions of individual neurons into the coherent integrated framework of

experience and willful action that we call Mind.

http://cns-alumni.bu.edu/~slehar/HRezBook/Chap1.pdf

Edited by fulllotus

Vmarco: the only person on earth who believes in what Vmarco writes. :lol:

No,...as HH Dalai Lama has recently shown much support towards the Jonang, and as I've read many of his books, and have not here contradicted them, I'd suggest that a few others would concur with what I write. However, if none here concur, then none here are ready to understand Dependent Origination, nor help with the liberation of sentient beings.

"The whole of the Bodhicharyvatara is geared toward prajna, the direct realization of emptiness, absolute bodhichitta, without which the true practice of compassion is impossible."

And thus, very few compassionate beings traverse the Earth.

V

Edited by Vmarco

That's some very cool stuff Drew - eye opening in fact.

Thanks for that.

Yeah this dude -- his cartoon philosophy is fun to go through. Just click next at the top and it goes through the various cartoons http://cns-alumni.bu.edu/~slehar/cartoonepist/cartoonepist.html Then I was researching it more and he argues that there is a holograph but it's three dimensional in the brain - and also relies on alternating current as a harmonic oscillator. So actually qigong master Chunyi Lin said he read Michael Talbot's book The Holographic Universe and Chunyi Lin said it is an accurate description of what it's like for the energy master.

I like Talbot's novels as well -- usually I don't like fiction. He has an illuminati vampire novel which is considered a classic in its genre -- it is a paperback that sells as a collectors item. I paid like $50 but I enjoyed it so much it was well worth it. Besides I had to bike out to the boondocks to this new bookstore I had not been to - so I got some adventure out of it.

I see things like quantum physics and different things being attributed to what nonduality is.

Nonduality is a state of emptyness like the tao itself.

We think of thing in concepts of yin and yang, light and dark...

Only by emptying our minds and feeling the true reality of things we let mundane concepts and extremes not cloud our judgement.

Such as he is ugly, she is rich, he has rediculous ideas. Judgement is a manmade concept, and born of duality. For those who have reached this realization, cheers.

tangent...

Non-duality is when a guy only has one testicle remaining, and if he becomes unattached to that then he experiences a type of void.

:o

Edited by 3bob

tangent...

Non-duality is when a guy only has one testicle remaining, and if he becomes unattached to that then he experiences a type of void.

:o

Duality is what happens when we dont see things for what they are.

I see things like quantum physics and different things being attributed to what nonduality is.

Nonduality is a state of emptyness like the tao itself.

We think of thing in concepts of yin and yang, light and dark...

Only by emptying our minds and feeling the true reality of things we let mundane concepts and extremes not cloud our judgement.

Such as he is ugly, she is rich, he has rediculous ideas. Judgement is a manmade concept, and born of duality. For those who have reached this realization, cheers.

I would call an empty mind an imbecile,...as an empty eye is blind,...and an empty ear is deaf. Forget the intellectual jargon on what is "empty",..simply realize the emptiness of the 6 senses.

The Tao that is non-dual is not empty,...it is Still. Yin/yang are empty,...all energy is empty,...time is empty,...the Present is not empty.

As for me,...I generally do not "think" of concepts,...it's a distraction, and delusional.

Awareness of absolute bodhichitta, or awakened mind, through the clear recognition that everything one perceives is a dream, necessitates an understanding of the feminine aspect of nature. Such insight is beyond the cognizance of relative thinking, which arises soley through form. Form, by itself, has no perception of the field that holds it, as a particle is oblivious of its wave, or the Six Senses ignorance of stillness. Shantideva wrote, "The absolute is not within the reach of intellect, for the intellect is grounded in the relative."

Society-at-large is unaware of nature's feminine characteristics because thinking accepts a fabricated feminine that sustains a strict patriarchal, form-based viewpoint. In other words, there are two feminine's - the feminine (yin) of nature, and the feminine (yin) of man. Both are empty,...but the latter oscures that fact.

Fundamentally, there is no reality of things,...just as music does not exist outside of things. But there is Absolute Tao, the fulcrum upon which relative Tao effects its motion.

It's all quite easy. Simply understand the nature of Light.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/19803-what-is-light/

Vmarco: the only person on earth who believes in what Vmarco writes. :lol:

Hehehe. But he does bring up some good points now and again (when he doesn't get emotionally involved with what he is speaking to).

Getting closer to the one is divine madness,

Getting closer to the self is divine bliss.

What Right View Buddhist would use the word "divine?" Are you attempting to go for a Zen teaching, that is say, to dissolve the question? Or are you actually attempting to bring/merge some core Abrahamic religious views into Buddhism,...as if such conditions (divinity) could actually enter the Unconditionality of Emptiness?

V

Yeah this dude -- his cartoon philosophy is fun to go through. Just click next at the top and it goes through the various cartoons http://cns-alumni.bu.edu/~slehar/cartoonepist/cartoonepist.html Then I was researching it more and he argues that there is a holograph but it's three dimensional in the brain - and also relies on alternating current as a harmonic oscillator. So actually qigong master Chunyi Lin said he read Michael Talbot's book The Holographic Universe and Chunyi Lin said it is an accurate description of what it's like for the energy master.

I like Talbot's novels as well -- usually I don't like fiction. He has an illuminati vampire novel which is considered a classic in its genre -- it is a paperback that sells as a collectors item. I paid like $50 but I enjoyed it so much it was well worth it. Besides I had to bike out to the boondocks to this new bookstore I had not been to - so I got some adventure out of it.

Yes, I went through the cartoons and enjoyed that.

It reminded me of some non-Euclidean stuff I used to dabble in.

I've also read The Holographic Universe and enjoyed that - it really gave me a perspective that helped me see some things more clearly. I do think Talbot was reaching a little with some of the applications, however.

I've never read any of his fiction- I'll have to check it out.

Thanks

Do all Buddhist believe in Absolute Emptiness? No!

The third patriarch of Hua-yen, Fa Tsang (642–712 CE), said, “By jointly discussing noumenon and phenomenon, one reaches the highest consciousness and creates right understanding among sentient beings.” Through right understanding, nomenon is observed as a consequence within the awareness of timelessness, whereas to observe phenomenon, time is needed. Observing timelessness requires a different type of observation from that needed to observe time. Because time is perceived through the activity of the Six Senses,...the Six Senses cannot observe Stillness.

This thread is about non-duality, especially the experience of it, and not the beliefs of emptiness or Buddhism.

Non-duality transcends all religions and spiritual belief systems.

The link in my original post is about the experience as it happens, not a metaphysical belief of some future outcome.

Read my signature for another clue.

Edited by lifeforce

Carefully contemplating the words of Jeff Foster has opened my eyes afresh to the world.

I had been stuck for a while, searching for a path, a system, a teaching, which would set me free and make me more spiritual or enlightened. I now realize that all this seeking and searching was in vain.

It is this very seeking which is preventing me from Being.

There are glaringly obvious connections to a whole host of religious and spiritual systems and what their teachers were pointing to.

We tend to get stuck on the words or the lineage and tradition, and not what the words are pointing to.

Krishnamurti springs to mind straight away. His anti-teaching, anti-guru stance always appealed to me. Choiceless awareness.

Adyashanti, and his clarity of speech.

Mooji, who blends humour with his words of wisdom.

Eckhart Tolle's 'Unmanifested'

Sufi masters and Christian mystics throughout the ages.

Bankei's 'Unborn'

Ramana Maharsi's self inquiry method, 'Who Am I'

Chan Master Hsu Yun, and his hua tou, 'Who is mindful of the Buddha ?'

Zazen and it's emphasis on 'just sitting' without any goal, allowing everything to be.

Bodhidharma's 'special transmission outside the scriptures-not reliant on words and letters'

And of course wu wei.

There's obviously a lot more, but the gist of it is, that these teachers and their teachings all cause the concept of time to stop, and allow for the mind to turn within, fully aware of the moment, as it happens.

• Like 1

I'm just awestruck after reading this. Unbelievable !

Words of comment wouldn't do it justice.

My link

Or, a simple picture is worth a thousand words... :lol:

f6d63.jpg

Edited by vortex

After reading the 5 pages linked to Jeff Foster, it is fully clear that he has never experienced non-duality,...so the question is, why are you following him? The question is, what got you so confused about Buddhism? The question is, are you honest enough in your looking to look within yourself?

I am not 'following' him.

I find his words refreshing and a wake up call to all seekers. That the seeking and searching is pointless. Experience is all there is, not belief in future outcomes.

Confused about Buddhism ? Well, where do I start ?

The whole religion and it's hundreds of traditions, schools, sects and sub-sects, contradict each other in such a startling way, that it's impossible to make out what Buddhism actually is, or what it represents. I don't think I'll ever be able to understand it.