Ya Mu

Medical (Qigong Healing, Clinical Qigong) Qigong Styles

In http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/21806-wild-goose-the-healer-form/page__st__16 there were the comments:

Wild Goose Qigong could be just one more style out there, between hundreds of styles. But it ins't. There are only a few known styles that can train a person to heal others.

This statement was both acknowledged to be true and refuted to be false as this quote says:

Wrong there are many styles that train one to heal others...

So: List em'

Per member "Settler":

Wild Goose Healers Form

Per Me: Stillness-Movement - Hospital based healer's form within the system

I know a few that have specific medical qigong within the system but not many; my experience is with the Stillness-Movement.

List 'em!

And so as to keep the list going, please include what is listed above it so that there will be a list. Please refrain from saying all qigong is healing. First man touched first woman when she fell down, smiled at her and put his hand near her hurt and expressed concern - first woman felt better. Therefore in that aspect everything can be healing. What I am referring to is SPECIFIC healing methods taught within the system.

1)Per member "Settler":

Wild Goose Healers Form

2)Per Me: Stillness-Movement - Hospital based healer's form within the system

3)

• Like 2

1)Per member "Settler":

Wild Goose Healers Form

2) Per member "Ya Mu": Stillness-Movement - Hospital based healer's form within the system

3) Per member "Scotty": Kunlun Nei Gung - has some specific healing methods.

Edited by Scotty

off the top of my head I have {continued from Scotty's numbering}

4) spring forrest qigong

5) Zhineng {also called Chilel}

there are plenty more but I will have to dig for their names :)

Here are a few that I'm aware of:

6) Inner Nourishing Qigong (Nei Yang Gong): taught at Hebei Medical Qigong School and Hospital

7) Guigen Qigong

8) Liangong Shibafa

9) International Institute of Medical Qigong: Jerry Alan Johnson [/s]popularized this system in the West. It came from Henan University of TCM.

How are these forms any different from the ones already mentioned? Are all these on the list specific healing forms or do they use healing?

Edited by Informer

1)Per member "Settler": Wild Goose Healers Form

2) Per member "Ya Mu": Stillness-Movement - Hospital based healer's form within the system

4) spring forrest qigong

6) Inner Nourishing Qigong (Nei Yang Gong): taught at Hebei Medical Qigong School and Hospital

7) Guigen Qigong

8) Liangong Shibafa

9) International Institute of Medical Qigong: Jerry Alan Johnson popularized this system in the West. It came from Henan University of TCM.

10). Per me: Infinichi (Hua Ching Ni family lineage), http://longevity-center.com/about-infinichi/

Wait a minute.. let's back up. Are we listing Qigong systems/exercises that are healing when practiced by the individual with the affliction/health problem?

or

A Qigong system which is Medical in nature where the practitioner treats individuals to an end to cure their affliction?

I could say fully that Wuji qigong is clearly a healing exercise for someone that practices it - But - is NOT a medical qigong as listed above. Most people I know would not give the time it takes for that qigong exercise to be affective and thus would need the services of someone who could "treat" them with Medical (external) Qigong.

Edited by Baguakid

A Qigong system which is Medical in nature where the practitioner treats individuals to an end to cure their affliction?

This. Because, the original point made in the other thread was that Wild Goose qigong uses qi emitting to heal people:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/21806-wild-goose-the-healer-form/

Wild Goose Qigong could be just one more style out there, between hundreds of styles. But it ins't. There are only a few known styles that can train a person to heal others...Wild goose trains you to project Qi width your hands, in order for you to heal others.

That does not mean other methods are not valid, or that medical qigong practitioners-and hospitals in China-don't get patients to practice qigong exercises. It doesn't mean other methods don't have very good results for some people. With reference to the original point though, it is about methods that train one person to directly treat another person.

There are many different qigong methods, but most do not teach this application of medical qigong.

• Like 2

There are many different qigong methods, but most do not teach this application of medical qigong.

Yeah, I found the other thread after posting on this one. That said, I've never, ever heard of WGQG being referred to as a medical qigong.

Yeah, I found the other thread after posting on this one. That said, I've never, ever heard of WGQG being referred to as a medical qigong.

I don't know much about the method-only what I have read. From that both Yang Meijun and one of her students, Michael Tse, have used outgoing qi projection for healing purposes. I think the OP's point, that most schools of qigong don't practice or teach this, is valid. That has been my experience.

As for clinical use in China, it seems that several hospitals have developed protocols in the clinical application of qi projection for treating patients. There will likely be some variation, but there is also common ground. I believe that much of what is done by different people today, in mainland China, stems from what was initially organised in the 1950's. Some schools will on top of that have their own particular methods.

Outside of the mainland, some martial arts schools are famous for their bone setting and herbalist skills. Some incorporate esoteric Buddhist healing-as do some Japanese koryu-and that would fall under the category of qigong healing.

• Like 1

1)Per member "Settler": Wild Goose Healers Form

4) spring forrest qigong

7) Guigen Qigong

8) Liangong Shibafa

9) International Institute of Medical Qigong: Jerry Alan Johnson popularized this system in the West. It came from Henan University of TCM.

10). Per me: Infinichi (Hua Ching Ni family lineage), http://longevity-center.com/about-infinichi/

11) Ken Cohen's system

12) Roger Jahnke's system

13) Effie Chow's Chow qigong (i LOVE that woman!)

14) Duan Zhi Liang's Wuji Hundun Qigong

15) Yang, Jwing-Ming's tui na & qi nei tsang

16) Robert Peng's system

17) Wong's Shaolin Wahnam

18) Bing Yeyoung's system

19) Shou-Yu Liang's system

...damnit. now i go blank. :lol:

i wanted to hit the 20 mark, but... OH!

20) Gary Clyman's system

21) Suzanne Friedman's system (she was a student of Jerry Alan Johnson and is currently a disciple of Bing Yeyoung)

22) Sifu Jenny Lamb's system

23) Sifu Lin Ai Wei. he doesn't post here anymore, but he heals and trains healers

ALL of these are public, mostly mainstream teachers (expect maybe Jenny and Lin) that teach healing techniques and have produced healers.

there are lots more.

Edited by Hundun

I don't know much about the method-only what I have read. From that both Yang Meijun and one of her students, Michael Tse, have used outgoing qi projection for healing purposes. I think the OP's point, that most schools of qigong don't practice or teach this, is valid. That has been my experience.

As for clinical use in China, it seems that several hospitals have developed protocols in the clinical application of qi projection for treating patients. There will likely be some variation, but there is also common ground. I believe that much of what is done by different people today, in mainland China, stems from what was initially organised in the 1950's. Some schools will on top of that have their own particular methods.

Outside of the mainland, some martial arts schools are famous for their bone setting and herbalist skills. Some incorporate esoteric Buddhist healing-as do some Japanese koryu-and that would fall under the category of qigong healing.

I believe that much of what is done by different people today, in mainland China, stems from what was initially organised in the 1950's.

Yes, I believe that to be be true as well. Also, I see systems listed which are not medical qigong school systems. Many of the systems listed simply have a few healing methods within the system (and I guess that is what I asked for in OP). I should have been more clear in what I posted originally as to what I was looking for. Still, interesting to have a list of systems and/or teachers which do incorporate some specific healing methods.

I think there is much confusion as to what a medical qigong school actually teaches. I found that to be true when I was attending the medical qigong standards committee meetings in the NQA when we set certification standards in the USA for medical qigong.

There are really still very few medical qigong schools out there, I know of only a handful of valid schools in the USA, and with the Chinese government crackdown on the teaching hospitals (most are now closed or highly regulated as to what they can say and/or perform) the real complete system methods from China are not being passed on like they were years ago. In the last 10 or so years many people were taught what they thought was medical qigong but really is a sad and small portion of what the true systems contain.

• Like 5

Yes, I believe that to be be true as well. Also, I see systems listed which are not medical qigong school systems. Many of the systems listed simply have a few healing methods within the system (and I guess that is what I asked for in OP). I should have been more clear in what I posted originally as to what I was looking for. Still, interesting to have a list of systems and/or teachers which do incorporate some specific healing methods.

I think there is much confusion as to what a medical qigong school actually teaches. I found that to be true when I was attending the medical qigong standards committee meetings in the NQA when we set certification standards in the USA for medical qigong.

There are really still very few medical qigong schools out there, I know of only a handful of valid schools in the USA, and with the Chinese government crackdown on the teaching hospitals (most are now closed or highly regulated as to what they can say and/or perform) the real complete system methods from China are not being passed on like they were years ago. In the last 10 or so years many people were taught what they thought was medical qigong but really is a sad and small portion of what the true systems contain.

How do you classify Medical Qigong? do you have to be able to project Qi to the patient?

The healer I mentioned earlier Yap Soon Yeung does a form of healing which hard to describe as anything but Qigong healing, he calls it Qigong healing himself but he does not intentionally project any Qi and he has seen success in serious medical cases such as stroke victims and paralysis.

How do you classify Medical Qigong? do you have to be able to project Qi to the patient?

The healer I mentioned earlier Yap Soon Yeung does a form of healing which hard to describe as anything but Qigong healing, he calls it Qigong healing himself but he does not intentionally project any Qi and he has seen success in serious medical cases such as stroke victims and paralysis.

As evidenced by the number of systems or teachers listed above many systems contain healing methods within.

Medical Qigong has complete treatment methods developed in hospital and clinic. These systems, which were mostly taught by a very few Qigong Hospitals, were methods developed during the late 40's - 50's and refined up to somewhere around the year 2000 in China. This does not mean that all the methods were only conceived then, but I believe there was a certain sharing of knowledge and methods developed through actual use of treating patients. Of course each system was shaped by the knowledge of the "principal" of each individual hospital and some of the methods achieved greater results than others. For instance some of the hospitals had much greater reputation than others. Also, efficacy has always been proportional to a doctors individual qi development and that individual qi development shaped by the particular qigong methods one practiced.

A requirement of medical qigong is the ability to perform wai qi liao fa. I know that here in the USA a number of people who never acquired that ability have liked to use the words "medical qigong" in teaching people various breath and movement and meditative methods. This is a misnomer and I believe it to be a "me too" phenomena of people who simply do not know or who wish to add to their professional credentials.

Although the ability to perform wai qi liao fa is required, it is really a first step in learning the application of many different techniques to treat different dis-ease; therefore "medical qigong". If a system does not offer an aspiring student, upon graduation, the ability to open a clinic and achieve consistent results in alleviating suffering, then it is not medical qigong, but a watered down reflection of it. The ability of a few teachers to have results, IF NOT REFLECTED BY THEIR STUDENTS, has not much meaning in terms of it being a "medical qigong".

• Like 2

As evidenced by the number of systems or teachers listed above many systems contain healing methods within.

Medical Qigong has complete treatment methods developed in hospital and clinic. These systems, which were mostly taught by a very few Qigong Hospitals, were methods developed during the late 40's - 50's and refined up to somewhere around the year 2000 in China. This does not mean that all the methods were only conceived then, but I believe there was a certain sharing of knowledge and methods developed through actual use of treating patients. Of course each system was shaped by the knowledge of the "principal" of each individual hospital and some of the methods achieved greater results than others. For instance some of the hospitals had much greater reputation than others. Also, efficacy has always been proportional to a doctors individual qi development and that individual qi development shaped by the particular qigong methods one practiced.

A requirement of medical qigong is the ability to perform wai qi liao fa. I know that here in the USA a number of people who never acquired that ability have liked to use the words "medical qigong" in teaching people various breath and movement and meditative methods. This is a misnomer and I believe it to be a "me too" phenomena of people who simply do not know or who wish to add to their professional credentials.

Although the ability to perform wai qi liao fa is required, it is really a first step in learning the application of many different techniques to treat different dis-ease; therefore "medical qigong". If a system does not offer an aspiring student, upon graduation, the ability to open a clinic and achieve consistent results in alleviating suffering, then it is not medical qigong, but a watered down reflection of it. The ability of a few teachers to have results, IF NOT REFLECTED BY THEIR STUDENTS, has not much meaning in terms of it being a "medical qigong".

Thanks this is really interesting to me. Do you or anyone else know of any good resources or books I can find out more information about medical qigong and the different styles and approaches? as a number of people I know have recently developed cancer so my interest in this area has been rekindled. On looking through some of the Wild Goose Qigong websites they suggest this book is the main text to study: "Chinese medical Qigong therapy: A comprehensive clinical guide" - Jerry Alan Johnson http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-medical-Qigong-therapy-comprehensive/dp/1885246080/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt , which seems to be pretty in depth being over 1000 pages long, the problem being it is about $400 :o which is a bit steep in price for me.

Thanks this is really interesting to me. Do you or anyone else know of any good resources or books I can find out more information about medical qigong and the different styles and approaches? as a number of people I know have recently developed cancer so my interest in this area has been rekindled. On looking through some of the Wild Goose Qigong websites they suggest this book is the main text to study: "Chinese medical Qigong therapy: A comprehensive clinical guide" - Jerry Alan Johnson http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-medical-Qigong-therapy-comprehensive/dp/1885246080/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt , which seems to be pretty in depth being over 1000 pages long, the problem being it is about $400 :o which is a bit steep in price for me.

Just as any professional field of study, it is costly to get a real education.

There are no books that I can recommend. However, if you are really interested in learning there are a couple of programs I can recommend. Books will never get a person to the same point that real education will. Want to be a brain surgeon? Which book is recommended so one can learn it and actually utilize it? Medical Qigong in its own way IS as complicated and in many ways MORE complicated.

• Like 2

Can we generalize it by its nomenclature superficially...???

Medical Qigong is any Qigong method which was utilized in healing or curing an illness.

Cancer is sort of my "pet disease" in healing work. if you have friends who are open to practices like qigong, i would make 2 recommendations off the top of my head: Guigen Qigong and Shaolin Wahnam's "flowing breeze, swaying willow" practice.

Jerry Alan Johnson has some newer volumes that are greatly expanded. i don't have the book in your link, but i do have his 5 newer volumes that are 500-600 pages each. Volume 5 is An Energetic Approach to Oncology. i also have his 6-month cancer seminar on DVD that he offers on his site: http://www.qigongmedicine.com/catalog.php?act=view_prod_info&id_prod=22170&i=&l=&sid=50d17f3d84d0e37143535fa16fb285df

it's a WHOLE LOT of studying. very comprehensive, and in compliance with the medical standards of the Chinese hospitals. there are lots of theory, exercises and protocols.

i study everything i can get my hands on, just about. but for your situation that's not the best direction, IMO. your money would be better spent attending one of Ya Mu's workshops, maybe even taking some of your friends with you.

you need simple and powerful. your friends don't need to be stressing out trying to digest that much material. Jerry Alan Johnson is very, VERY thorough. the volume of information is like taking graduate level courses. so i wouldn't go that route.

Guigen Qigong takes a little bit of practice, but it's easy to learn. Simon Blow of Australia has a great DVD that teaches it at a really good price. he moves SUPER-SLOW, which is a little too slow for the layperson, in my opinion, but otherwise it's a great video. and he performs it in mirror image so you don't have to flip the exercises around in your mind. you can just follow the video.

the Shaolin Wahnam practice is so simple that you can start practicing it from the 2 posts i made in in this thread: http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/20719-depression-kills-qigong-saves/

those are two practices worth engaging on your own, relatively simple and effective. but you still could use a power source. a teacher with some juice. they will likely have other methods to teach you, and some of them might be methods that are only safe with the guidance of the teacher, but either way, a good power source makes a difference.

Ya Mu could really get you going with an effective, powerful practice, some healing therapy sessions for your friends, AND some transmission of that juice, and you won't have to become a scholar first. it just makes sense.

not everyone can recover. the Will of Heaven will ultimately have its way. but for those who can recover, this is what i'd suggest.

• Like 2

Just as any professional field of study, it is costly to get a real education.

There are no books that I can recommend. However, if you are really interested in learning there are a couple of programs I can recommend. Books will never get a person to the same point that real education will. Want to be a brain surgeon? Which book is recommended so one can learn it and actually utilize it? Medical Qigong in its own way IS as complicated and in many ways MORE complicated.

in some cases, i agree.

but as a person with friends who have cancer, i don't think Jetsun needs med school. i think he needs a good doctor.

Edited by Hundun

Cancer is sort of my "pet disease" in healing work. if you have friends who are open to practices like qigong, i would make 2 recommendations off the top of my head: Guigen Qigong and Shaolin Wahnam's "flowing breeze, swaying willow" practice.

Jerry Alan Johnson has some newer volumes that are greatly expanded. i don't have the book in your link, but i do have his 5 newer volumes that are 500-600 pages each. Volume 5 is An Energetic Approach to Oncology. i also have his 6-month cancer seminar on DVD that he offers on his site: http://www.qigongmedicine.com/catalog.php?act=view_prod_info&id_prod=22170&i=&l=&sid=50d17f3d84d0e37143535fa16fb285df

it's a WHOLE LOT of studying. very comprehensive, and in compliance with the medical standards of the Chinese hospitals. there are lots of theory, exercises and protocols.

i study everything i can get my hands on, just about. but for your situation that's not the best direction, IMO. your money would be better spent attending one of Ya Mu's workshops, maybe even taking some of your friends with you.

you need simple and powerful. your friends don't need to be stressing out trying to digest that much material. Jerry Alan Johnson is very, VERY thorough. the volume of information is like taking graduate level courses. so i wouldn't go that route.

Guigen Qigong takes a little bit of practice, but it's easy to learn. Simon Blow of Australia has a great DVD that teaches it at a really good price. he moves SUPER-SLOW, which is a little too slow for the layperson, in my opinion, but otherwise it's a great video. and he performs it in mirror image so you don't have to flip the exercises around in your mind. you can just follow the video.

the Shaolin Wahnam practice is so simple that you can start practicing it from the 2 posts i made in in this thread: http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/20719-depression-kills-qigong-saves/

those are two practices worth engaging on your own, relatively simple and effective. but you still could use a power source. a teacher with some juice. they will likely have other methods to teach you, and some of them might be methods that are only safe with the guidance of the teacher, but either way, a good power source makes a difference.

Ya Mu could really get you going with an effective, powerful practice, some healing therapy sessions for your friends, AND some transmission of that juice, and you won't have to become a scholar first. it just makes sense.

not everyone can recover. the Will of Heaven will ultimately have its way. but for those who can recover, this is what i'd suggest.

Thanks I will look into what you suggest here, I too am interested in studying everything I can get my hands on. I agree simple is good, I was looking at the Wild Goose form but for me having over 70 moves makes things too complicated as I would be focusing on trying to remember the moves rather than what's going on with the energy.

Unfortunately for the people I know who have developed cancer I doubt I can persuade them to take up Qigong as two are elderly and resistant to such foreign concepts like energy healing and the other is a doctor so I doubt he would accept advice from me, but you never know perhaps the illness will change their perspective. But I expect to encounter cancer again in my life considering how common it is and would like to be able to be in a position to offer advice from a place of genuine knowledge and be able to back up my words rather than just to vaguely recommend Qigong.