Gerard

Why Standing Qigong?

Thank you for the excerpts.

When Bruce talks about doing the standing Qigong for six hours, do most practitioner hold just ONE pose, the basic pose of hands by their sides and work on dissolving the energy blocks for the entirety? or is it a mixture of basic pose + movement of the hands, for example holding a ball etc

Standing qigong is great! It was my main practice for a couple years.

I remember Max say when he trained with his Sifu in Hawaii he would hold stances until there was a puddle of sweat!

It's not something I practice much these days as there is already plenty of energy from the Maoshan alchemy but I suspect I will get back into it at some point. The 5 element standing of the Kunlun/Maoshan system is excellent. Five postures to balance the 5 element/organ systems. It builds alot of qi!

• Like 2

Thank you for the excerpts.

When Bruce talks about doing the standing Qigong for six hours, do most practitioner hold just ONE pose, the basic pose of hands by their sides and work on dissolving the energy blocks for the entirety? or is it a mixture of basic pose + movement of the hands, for example holding a ball etc

When Bruce trained standing for six hours etc he was learning Taiji and Taikiken, so he would have used a variety of postures. He hadn't learned dissolving at that point.

Zhan zhuang in martial arts is different to zhan zhuang in Daoist neigong.

Best,

Honestly, it doesn't matter; even if you are capable of standing with the arms in Wuji stance that long is a serious feat! Try and let us know...we have an open challenge here at Tao Bums. ;)

Thank you for the link Gerard. I have considered taking up Zhan zhuang. I haven't so far because I have a lot of feet pain. But perhaps with Zhan Zhuang I can learn to get past it?

hmm...

Gerard...what book is this Zip file from? I may need to get it.

Hi there,

YMW, yes ZZ will fix you up entirely but you need to be disciplined and consistent since like any in Qigong work, the healing process is gradual. In the meantime I would suggest you seeking acupuncture treatment to remove the cold, damp and wind that has entered in the meridians of your feet and possibly your hands/wrists?

The book I borrowed the quoted pages from is the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Internal-Martial-Arts-Secrets/dp/1556432534

But unfortunately that book doesn't provide any instruction at all. It is just a compilation of all the internal martial arts practices and some internal/external methods that the author took up since he was very young. I wouldn't copy that book from a learning perspective.

If you are after a book, I can recommend you the reading of this one:

Stand Still Be Fit

And the philosophical/spiritual reasoning behind this sort of practice is explained in this other reading:

The Right Path of Yiquan

Good luck with your recovery.

:)

Edited by Gerard

Try and let us know...we have an open challenge here at Tao Bums. ;)

please enter me in the challenge, my personal best is 18 minutes :o

After learning about Frantzis couple of weeks ago, I tried Zhan Zhuang. profound relaxation with just the basic wuji pose. As a seeker of downward flow of energy, I find Zhan Zhuang very grounding.

I must say Zhan Zhuang goes against the grain of common thinking(that benefit can only come from complexity). I had to fight it quite a bit during the first week.

I like the following video introduction by Lam Kam Chuen. He blends in instruction with some background from his teacher.

All the best

http://www.youtube.com/user/StandStillBeFit

Thank you for the link Gerard. I have considered taking up Zhan zhuang. I haven't so far because I have a lot of feet pain. But perhaps with Zhan Zhuang I can learn to get past it?

you might get a practice-assist on that from doing max's kunlun or jenny's yigong - the bouncing is great for the feet!

I practised Zhan Zhuang for many years following instruction by my first Tai Chi and Qigong teacher. It was a five element standing practice and I did about forty five minutes per day.

Unfortunately there is a lot of poor information out there especially as regards posture. It is important that the body is properly stacked from the soles of the feet up to ensure that the joints are not strained.

For instance a correct riding horse stance will help raise energy through the kidney meridian up into the microcosmic orbit. I have read instructions however where the student is told that they can expect pain in the knee joint as though a red hot nail is being driven through it. This is rubbish. Whilst the muscles of the leg may be stressed by long standing in a deep posture the knee joints should not.

Whilst much can be learned from books and video's nothing can compare to postural correction by a teacher who knows what they are doing. B)

• Like 1

To answer the Title...!!!

Zhan zhuang is mainly to develop the muscle tone in both legs while breathing down to the abdomen(lower dan tien) slowly but surely.

Whilst much can be learned from books and video's nothing can compare to postural correction by a teacher who knows what they are doing.

If you practice long enough, Qi will correct your posture.

Would you be able to copy and paste it to the forum for those of us without access to those sorts of websites?

Let me see, this forum lacks the ability of attaching docs to messages using an hyperlink system, which is a bit odd. Anyway this is the best I can do:

76285539.th.jpg

14889287.th.jpg

74887254.th.jpg

44527589.th.jpg

40219798.th.jpg

I also appreciate adding a THANKS to your request. What happened to the old good manners to this young new generation? Hmmm.

If you practice long enough, Qi will correct your posture.

Let me see, this forum lacks the ability of attaching docs to messages using an hyperlink system, which is a bit odd. Anyway this is the best I can do:

76285539.th.jpg

14889287.th.jpg

74887254.th.jpg

44527589.th.jpg

40219798.th.jpg

I also appreciate adding a THANKS to your request. What happened to the old good manners to this young new generation? Hmmm.

I just feel that adding thanks to the request right away makes it seem as though i'm expecting you to act upon my request, I didn't want to impose if it wasn't possible.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post those images on Image shack. I appreciate it.

• Like 2