Patrick Brown

Fucked Up!

The pain was day three of giving up smoking! I gave up for tens years but the last couple of years I've been under a lot of stress so fell back into the mire. Was just a bit low yesterday, kept bursting into tears (mum!, she's OK). Hey I'm much better today.

Carly!? Oh she's great!

The pain was day three of giving up smoking! I gave up for tens years but the last couple of years I've been under a lot of stress so fell back into the mire. Was just a bit low yesterday, kept bursting into tears (mum!, she's OK). Hey I'm much better today.

Carly!? Oh she's great!

Ah!, now I understand your pain. And Yep, that is fucked up - kicking a nasty habit then picking it up again.

Hehehe. I haven't been able to kick the habit so I'm not in a position to pick it up again.

I quit smoking after 15 years and then picked it up again when I quit drinking. Like most addictions it's difficult to quit, unless you have a sincere desire to quit. When you've suffered enough, that's when you will be able to quit.

My recommendation is to remember the problems cigarettes cause you, shortness of breath, sinus, etc. and keep that in mind when you have the desire to smoke again. Remembering the money you spend also motivates, but I never found it to be strong enough on its own.

Cigarettes are more addictive than heroine, so don't expect to not have some withdrawals, but you can do it, millions have. Don't give up. Call someone and talk about it if you feel like you're going to smoke and also try to stop doing things you associate with smoking. For instance, if you smoked with your coffee every morning, don't have coffee anymore, have tea. If you always went outside after dinner to have a smoke, then instead spend that time doing something else, make another ritual to replace that one and any others you might have picked up. Also it's oftentimes the littlest things that can set you off, you're cat could die and you're fine, but you step in some gum and suddenly you want to smoke. Be aware of this and don't let your guard down.

Admit that you're addicted and that you can't smoke just one cigarette. Remember that and don't forget. If you can do that you will also be able to quit easier. I actually used the twelve steps to quit, but most people don't seem to feel that the amount of work it takes to go through the steps is worth it to quit smoking. You may want to check it out, but I'm sure if you are vigilant with a good support network you can quit on your own.

Best of luck. I've quit for the second time for three years now and haven't picked up a cigarette in that time. I'm sure you'll do fine, you quit once already, right?

Aaron

Note- I do smoke cigars, but they are like night and day, sort of comparing tea drinking to espresso.

Edited by Twinner

Cheers guys, I should be OK / make it. The next step is giving up the booze but one thing at a time.

yeah one thing at a time

congrats, its pretty hard to do. :) but totally worth it!

• Like 1

I was surprised to read that other tao-bums struggle with addiction.

I don't know how to take it.

Then again, any judgement is ILLUSION.

Ommmmmmmm.

Ommmmmmmm.

Ommmmmmmm.

No judgements necessary. Just the facts. Now deal with them (the facts).

(No, I'm not going to tell you about my addiction to short skirts and bikinis.)