Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Black Tahini

I think somebody mentioned black sesame tahini but I couldn't find where. Anybody got good experience with it? I just added some to my chicken that's in the oven. I read that it's used as a blood tonic and digestive system tonic in TCM, but I couldn't find it in any of my books. Anybody care to look it up in their TCM books?

I found online that it's supposed to be good for liver and kidney, blurred vision, dizzines, tinnitus and premature grey hair.

I tried the recipe on this page recently and really liked it.. I used that brand too. And I smeared it on my face just like that girl there while I was preparing it.

As far as black sesame seeds go, according to Bensky (3rd edition), they are sweet with neutral temperature. they enter the Kindney, Liver and Large Intestine channels. They nourish and tonify Liver and Kidney yin. They nourish the Blood and extinguish Wind (problems with headaches and dizziness, esp. when dizziness gets worse wtih activity). They also moisten and lubricate the intestines (constipation). The only contraindication is loose stools. Commentary on the Divine Husbandman's Classic of Materia Medica says that it is "harmonious in nature and flavor, neither hot nor cold; it is an excellent food that augments Spleen and Stomach, and tonifies the Liver and Kidneys." Also if you know any nursing mothers with insufficient lactation, you might suggest they eat some.

Not so sure about how preparing them for tahini might change things. Bensky does mention that they are usually dry-fried to increase their tonifying properties.

Todd

Thanks Sean, that Living Community food site had some nice products at reasonable prices and great raw vegan recipies

Michael

Sign in to follow this