Thunder_Gooch

Career and Ethics

I've been considering going back to finish a bachelors in chemistry then pursuing a 4 year Pharm D. program for pharmacy.

The pay is good and I think I would enjoy the work and I can't really find any other career options I am interested in.

One thing that keeps eating me alive inside though, is I know that that some people who took medication I handed out would die, either from having a wrong prescription from their doctor or an overdose.

As much as I try to rationalize it, I still am worried about the karmic consequences of having such a career.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

well i hate to discourage you but the pharmaceutical industry as a whole has done so much harm with their greedy profiteering that i have to say NAY good sir.

It is so hard to find a balance between good money and good ethics. Good luck!

• Like 1

Any ideas on ethical jobs?

My wife works for Kaiser pharmacies. There are plenty of pharmacists who do a professional job getting people the meds they need to stay alive and healthy. That doesn't make them complicit in Big Pharma's greediness any more than the mechanic who worked on the breaks of the getaway vehicle used during a botched robbery.

In light of the principle of interdependency, we could drive ourselves insane imagining all the hidden complicities we might be connected to, but that doesn't make us culpable. Any Life Science career path you take is going to remain valuable in the years to come. It is your choice to tread an ethical path or not.

If I won the lottery I'd be hiring a chemist to make the biodiesel to run my farm machinery with! :D

• Like 4

'When I learned that several underground chiefs known to me were plotting the assassination of a man considered to be an informer, I intervened vigorously and changed their minds. Several years later just after the attainment of independence this same person killed several people, was arrested and hanged. I was in a psychic turmoil for twenty days, not knowing whether I had acted correctly when I saved his life. Finally, one afternoon while I was meditating in the Sanctum, I heard the voice of Yohannan. "When you do good to a human being," he said, "you are not negotiating with him on his future behaviour. He alone is responsible for his actions. Your intentions were good. You did good. It is not for you to judge the future. This belongs to God and to Karma."'

The Magus of Strovolos, page 78

• Like 4

I have always though that Organic Herbalist would make for a good trade. Modern medicine has it's roots in and from the plants anyways. You would still use chemistry, but it would be more bio-chemistry and extractions.

Edited by Informer

The Magus of Strovolos, page 78

One of my favorite books. Glad to see i am not the only one to pick up some its gems.

In regards to your career Pie: In all of life i have only one rule that i follow and is useful in all circumstances. "Be true to yourself."Whatever happens happens, as long you are straight and honest with yourself.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen