AЯAB

Any bums workout?

Lately I have been intrigued at the potential of the human body. I know through meditation and what not you can strengthen and train your mind/soul but to also be able to train the body is an incredible feat. I have been doing calisthenics(strictly body weight exercises) for the past month and boy am I loving it! Asides from spirituality it's the next greatest thing I am always thinking about it and AHHH I LOVE IT SO MUCH :D. Anyways enough about me, I was wondering if anyone of you bums workout? If so how have you included spirituality in your exercise? I'm guessing through some types of meditation, qigong, you can strengthen your body even more and also increase recovery time? If you know about this, please do inform me. I honestly have no set practice for meditation/spiritual practice like most of you bums do. It just happens whenever you know? It would be nice but I'm not there yet, ahh ANYWAYS! Below is a video of a guy that has some serious strength just through calisthenics training, its some crazy stuff!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJfHr-jZImc&feature=related

I do a calisthenic routine I learned from my Shifu which I really enjoy.

It is primarily a stretching routine and is a great warm up.

If I can find time to warm up, do some martial arts practice, and meditate, I'm thrilled.

I don't have time to add anything additional but I do think strengthening exercises are extremely valuable as well.

As we get older I think the stretching is far more important than strengthening if one must choose.

Yes I do, some people say it's alot, but people have little attention span for what they aren't interested in.

About Hannibal. He's great and all, but then you look at his legs.

Of course. I think it's essential to add more yang training to my more yin qigong stuff.

Yoga is a pretty awesome workout. Calisthenics are great. I also like weight training if done correctly.

I lifted weights for 4 years, recently stopped and switched over to calisthenics/cardio. I'm following a routine in a Navy SEAL book that I used in the past with great results. Its basically just push ups, dips, pull ups and sit ups. I want to eventually incorporate handstand push ups into the mix.

I don't do any direct leg work as I have naturally very large legs, the 4 years of heavy squats didn't help in that regard either.

Lately I have been intrigued at the potential of the human body. I know through meditation and what not you can strengthen and train your mind/soul but to also be able to train the body is an incredible feat. I have been doing calisthenics(strictly body weight exercises) for the past month and boy am I loving it! Asides from spirituality it's the next greatest thing I am always thinking about it and AHHH I LOVE IT SO MUCH :D. Anyways enough about me, I was wondering if anyone of you bums workout? If so how have you included spirituality in your exercise? I'm guessing through some types of meditation, qigong, you can strengthen your body even more and also increase recovery time? If you know about this, please do inform me. I honestly have no set practice for meditation/spiritual practice like most of you bums do. It just happens whenever you know? It would be nice but I'm not there yet, ahh ANYWAYS! Below is a video of a guy that has some serious strength just through calisthenics training, its some crazy stuff!!

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Until recently I was running 15-20 miles a week. I had a strong yoga practice which I have revived recently. I usually do 8-12 sets of surya namaskar at a decent pace (go through the sets in 15 minutes or so) followed by a sequance of Yoga asanas. I found that the surya namaskar gets my heart rate up and circulation going and promotes decent perspiration. Followed by the asanas (takes around 40 more minutes), followed by 10-15 minutes of shavasana (corpse pose) -- which doubles as rest + relaxation + meditation.

If you want to try it, don't do the extreme back bends but only as much as possible. Also, while returning to the mountain pose, try and roll up one vertebrae at a time instead of rising back the way this person does (it's milder).

I also do single-form tai chi and long form (both from Temple style as taught by Master Waysun Liao and his students) -- on days when I'm pressed for time, I do only the Surya Namaskars and the Tai chi.

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

A plus one for me on the Yoga and Tai Chi combo! :-)

I also start with an Egoscue daily routine for postural balance, and end with horse stance training and pull-ups, push-ups, hanging leg raises for abs, and squats. Yoga is awesome for the core and physical body, and Tai Chi smooths everything out into a rolling wave of a flow. I also enjoy Tai Chi for it's martial side will play like I am fighting off bandits ;-p

Also cutting out any carbs that are not high in fiber and eating smaller portions plays hugely into keeping lean.

Dude...have you seen Hit from Calisthenics Kingz? I guess he is doing some stuff with Hannibal. Awesome!

Pilates is great for strengthening your core

yes I'm liking this set nowadays, simple, easy and short

I also combine a triceps pushup with a hip lift (looks like a bridge)

pilates bicycle

Edited by Desert Eagle

Legendary Abs for the gut. Its old, but you can find a PDF floating around somewhere on the web. Its very fast and effective. Hindu pushups, incline pushups, bench dips, pull ups, chin ups. Bike, sprints, and walking for legs and cardio. I use dumbells for tricep pullovers, and e-z curl bar for biceps. I try to not rely on external things for exercise as much as possible, just so I can workout reliably when I am not at home. And lots of stretching.

Running is the consistent thing, although miles are down and dropping. Outside is spiritual, dreadmill is not. Otherwise I'll cycle my main focus every couple months when I get bored- pilates/yoga, plyometrics/speed training, calisthenics and strength, always somewhat cross training but get like to get in too much of a routine.

Took up some belly dancing lessons recently.

Bellydancing is incerdible good for strengthening the core of the body . Fantastic actually. Deeply reccomended to all the girls out there (and guys if theyd be into it ^_^ ). It so good. Very smartly designed.

Plus we were thought some great streches .

It is a fantastic antidote to all that martial arts stuff I regulary do .

• Like 2

aside from the sporadic yoga / tai chi / qigung, i have one steady fitness plan:

footbag

fits in my pocket and only costs 7 bucks for a new one : )

along with being an obvious flexibility and calisthenic workout, it's quite meditative for me

i anticipate being in great shape well into my 70s largely because of this simple toy

: )

~

Took up some belly dancing lessons recently.

Bellydancing is incerdible good for strengthening the core of the body . Fantastic actually. Deeply reccomended to all the girls out there (and guys if theyd be into it ^_^ ). It so good. Very smartly designed.

Plus we were thought some great streches .

It is a fantastic antidote to all that martial arts stuff I regulary do .

It's an amazing-looking workout. I got some serious handle over my LDT with MCO (not quite iron shirt but I can understand where it originates) and figure I'd be in a better starting position for belly dancing than I was before internal arts. Shaking also (frees things:-))

Tao Semko does some radical stuff with his belly (nauli, i think it's called)

• Like 1

Yeah , I am sure you would be in a better position for belly dancing for real.

I for example got the moves literally in the first lesson , purley becouse of the background in internal arts and meditation .

My sister used to do Nauli, I always used to ask her to show me her stomach like that haha.

Shaking is great.

Dancing spontaniously to the music too ,letting the body guide is radical for freeing things and feeling fresh and full of life. So good and it comes so naturally, music just moves the body inviting it for a dance and body knows what to do.

I enjoyed reading many of your exercise routines, thank you all for the replies. However if anyone knows anything about ways to increase recovery time, please do inform me. Right now I'm doing fullbody workouts every other day(mon,wed,fri) I leave the time on the weekend for extra recovery because I usually go past my limit on friday. I would like to bump my workout from every other day to everyday. In order to do this I would like to know any tips or maybe types of meditation to incorporate into my workout for faster recovery, increased endurance, and concentration. I don't want to just work on my body ya know gotta incorporate da mind and da soul :P

the triangle is Flexibility, Endurance, Strength

all three must be in balance

let's see....for recovery -- full body, low impact, low intensity -- go swimming

or...

start playing footbag! it's aces, i tell ya

focus on cardio and flexibility, and be gentle, that will quicken your recovery

~

I'm clearing ten acres of forest of the invasive buckthorn trees -- using a pick axe and a saw. So that's my work out. haha. Although I do farming -- carrying water, etc. Once I spent a month killing insects by hand - -leaf hoppers and then I had to snatch car keys from my drunk dad a few times -- and suddenly I realized I had super fast fingers. haha. It was just like in the martial arts movie where the master says -- go check fish with your hands and the student doesn't know it's really to train in the eagle claw. haha.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if I qualify as a bum yet, but I love fitness. I lost 150 lbs 3 years ago, and I've been lifting and running ever since. I generally spend 0.75-1.5 hours a day lifting.

As for recovery time, there are three things which have helped me:

Time (your body eventually gets used to the demands placed on it)

Potassium

Qigong

Edited by Ninjafro
  • Thanks 1

Hi, would like to take an advice from more expert people in physical training. The problem is the following: I am currently practicing a very slow and physically 'effortless' form of QiGong, that also requires abstaining from other types of energy work. I am doing this beacuse a have a condition that involves nerve entrapment in my pelvic floor, and the QiGong is helping in resolving the problem. As for the physical training, i used to train a strenght protocol in a powerlifting gym 3x a week, but I stopped beacuse squats and deadlift caused a lot of flare ups and pain in the area. I also tried bodyweight training, but just involving abs and legs in the training causes problems. So I'm trying to find a suitable way to retain my strenght and remaining quite lean; As for the diet I practice intermittent fasting and follow a high protein diet, but physically there's not much I can do.

My thought is that maybe I could just walk a good amount of minutes every day, but this won't stop the shrinking of my muscle mass, so any idea in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Anyway, if I can contribute to this discussion: I strongly advise everyone to read 'The Primal Blueprint fitness guide' , and just to try weightlifting. It can be a game changer, and if followed in a sustanaible way ( no harsh diets, no overtraing, exercise variations) can be a wonderful lifelong companion, that will help in almost any aspect of your life! I also enjoy bodyweight training a lot ( you can refer to StartBodyweight.com for that and other countless resources), but I think it's a bit more time consumig and requires a lot of other good skills like flexibility and coordination. To keep it short, train, but don't forget to have fun. Take training not as a homework but as a moment to play and explore^_^

Edited by Victor
  • Like 1

I am starting to  think that spontaneous qigong / shaking / dancing is essential to channel the true wisdom of the subconscious by allowing it to be free and express itself without programmed exercise, this adds a certain kind of lightning to your work on yourself, and I can't see how it could be harnessed elsewise.

I do a workout every Sunday,  pilates abs legs and arms with resistance bands.   You need some weights to really work the arms and the bands are awesome very light take anywhere.   Legs you can press with bodyweight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1