Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Tao Bums Holy Mt Hua gathering?

Had an idea.

Seeing how next year is the year of the Dragon. And, well, ya'll are Tao Bums. Is there any interest in a Tao Bums meetup in China next Summer?

I am thinking next July. We could either spend a few days in Beijing first or go directly to Hua Shan.

Xian is also close to Hua Shan and is pretty cool.

I will probably travel around China and maybe even go to Tibet afterwards. But even if people just want to hang out and meditate together on Hua Shan for a week I think that would be awesome.

Any interest?

Hua Shan!?!? What an amazing synchronicity, I just finished reading The Wandering Taoist, and I was thinking through much of that book that it would be SOOO COOL to go visit Hua Shan.

I've never been out of the states though, and travel to china sounds expensive and frought with red tape. Maybe a group thing through a travel agency? I'll keep my ear to the ground.

I think for most people the most expensive would be buying a plane ticket. Actually China is quite inexpensive. Staying in a comfortable bed on top of Hua Shan's peak only costs about $40 a night. If we take the train down from Beijing like I did a couple months ago that only costs like $40.

It is a 14 hour train ride but hey, it's China and it's an adventure!

So, not sure how long anyone would be interested in staying but using just going to Hua Shan for 5 days and maybe Xian and Beijing for a couple days that is probably doable on around $1000. Then whatever the tickets cost now(about another $1000 round trip last time I visited the states from Korea).

If anyone is interested in a longer journey like I said I would be interested. I am thinking travel around for a month before heading back to Beijing to work.

Anyway, it's another 7 months away so plenty of time! Any other more knowledgable Bums with cool ideas I am open.

Cam

Other destinations I have in mind to do after Hua Shan.

1 Shaolin Temple. It's pretty close to Hua Shan. I haven't been before but I think a few hours bus ride away.

2. Mount Maoshan

3. Mount Wudang

If their isn't much interest no worries. I know people are busy busy. But it's something I'll probably do if anyone else is able to join.

If a few thousand $$$ suddenly falls into my lap, I'd be glad to go! So kinda count me in, but don't count on me.

• Like 1

I'll be honest. I won't be praying for anyone(even good friends) to make the trip.

We all have our path. We each have to walk it. Though Idon't know you if it's balanced and the right timing for you I would be honored.

If it isn't no worries!

Nice :), I am not sure if I can as I am travelling to Thailand and southern China very soon.

Anyway, I will think about it. Just miss the energy of the mountains big time.

Thanks.

Michael Winn is having his wedding on Hua Shan in May. I would try to make it but working. Anyway, if there is any interest later just respond in this thread.

I have posted quite a bit the past few weeks and it's time for a break. Will drop back in sometime next year.

namaste

Edited by Cameron

Cool, where in the South?

Gone nowhere. I missed my flight this morning after all this ZZ nonsense :lol: . I think the elementals of the fig tree that I practice with wanted me to stay here to complete the challenge. ^_^

figtree.jpg

Anyway tomorrow night full moon will reach its peak this cycle, but it is raining cats and dogs right now and I planned to do it early Sunday morning starting at 4am. We shall see.

Haha, ahhh well China isn't going anywhere.

So, my tentative plan is to hit Hua Shan, Shaolin, Maoshan, Wudang Shan for about a month. Then head to Tibet for a week or two.

I'll drop in every week or so to see if there is any interest hopefully atleast a couple fellow Bums can make the journey!

Cam

When you are in Tibet, just be sure your hotel room is above the first floor and sleep with all your cash and documentation under your pillow. I have all my cash stolen inside my hotel room on the first floor with the widow opened while asleep. The thief only took my cash and no other items to prevent from self incriminated evidence.

I was told by the tourist guide to leave the windows open, at night, for fresh air because of high altitude. In addition, I was told that the people in Lhasa or Tibet believe in Buddhism and they do not steal. However, on the third day, our cash and other tourist couple in the next room has the cash, passport, and plane tickets stolen. He was unlucky because he had an upset stomach. At the moment he just got out of the bathroom and saw the thief. So, the thief ran and took the whole bag with all the valuables with him. His wallet was found by a lady worker there by the hotel, but his wife's big bag was not insight.

I was waken up by the policeman outside my window. There was a lot of cigarette butts outside the window which indicated that the thief has been there for awhile waiting for me to go to sleep. I went the bed at 2:00am after watching TV. AT first I thought I lost my passport and airplane tickets. After I got on the airplane, I had found them in the other compartment of my carriage bag. They were placed there by the thief after he took all the cash. My wife's video camera was by the window but all her cash was gone also.

• Like 1

I had one incident where a guy came right up to my face and started talking to me. He said he was an artist and blah blah come see my artwork blah blah.

I just smiled at him and patted him on the shoulder.

On the whole, I feel safer in Beijing then some parts of America! You do have to watch yourself when you travel though. I usually wear hiking pants and keep my wallet zipped up in my pocket. In general, I have experienced Chinese people as being very friendly. The same goes for Korea.

Ok, so I am thinking do this in July. My tentative schedule is go to Xian and Hua Shan for a week. Then Luoyang and Shaolin Temple for a week. Maoshan for a week and Wudang Shan for a week. If no Bums can join no worries I am meeting some good friends in China who may be intterested.

If your interested message here or pm me. I'll drop by every couple weeks to check.

namaste

Ok, so I am thinking do this in July. My tentative schedule is go to Xian and Hua Shan for a week. Then Luoyang and Shaolin Temple for a week. Maoshan for a week and Wudang Shan for a week. If no Bums can join no worries I am meeting some good friends in China who may be intterested.

If your interested message here or pm me. I'll drop by every couple weeks to check.

namaste

Have you been to Maoshan or know anyone who has stayed there ? I went last year, and didn't get the feeling one could or would want to stay there for any extended period of time. I was there with my Chinese wife, and friends.... we met some very nice monks, spoke about Daoism, and our practices, and they spoke about rebuilding the mountain - into a tourist trap. Very disappointing after having spent a lot of time on Hua shan, and many other Daoist mountains in China.

I've been on Winn's trip twice and it's a great way to see many parts of China, including some places that you wouldn't normally find on a solo trip, or certainly without some guides. Since then, I go at least twice a year on my own. . .

No, I havent been there. The main reason I am interested to go is I practice Maoshan stuff. That in itself makes me interested enough to just go there and vibe it out.

But maybe your right and a week is too much. This is a very flexible and tentative schedule.

Heck, I would be willing to scratch the whole plan and just go to Tibet for a couple weeks possibly lol. It's an idea. So far doesn't seem like any Bums are up for it.

Edited by Cameron

we met some very nice monks, spoke about Daoism, and our practices, and they spoke about rebuilding the mountain - into a tourist trap. Very disappointing after having spent a lot of time on Hua shan, and many other Daoist mountains in China.

That has already happened to the main area of Wudang, which has turned into an spiritual Disneyland since the late 90s. Luckily there are 72 peaks in the entire range, which will leave true spiritual seekers, hermits and wandering ones alone. I hope this disease doesn't spread to all the sacred mountains, but the more the Westerners approach them for "spiritual cures" the greedier the Chinese will become in order to gain profit.

Hmm...I just don't like the modern post-Communist Revolution Chinese very much, sorry, they are incapable of looking after the enormous cultural and spiritual legacy left by Daoism since ancient times. Shame on them for being so greedy and ignorant. How easy was to give power to a bunch of peasants and make a big mess of +5,000 years of civilization. :angry:

I would like to meet at Huashan (not really to attend M. Winn's wedding though :lol: ); so I will send you a PM when the time gets closer. It all depends on my financial situation when the time arrives, anyway wu wei will dictate.

Regards.

Edited by Gerard

I am sensing a change in this regard.

I do feel that their is a desire from the powers that be to honor and preserve authentic Taoism and Chinese culture in general.

I like the direction China is headed over all. If we could just get affordable alternative energy for fellow Beijingers then I would be a super happy camper :lol:

I am signing off for awhile. Catch you later!

Sign in to follow this