Gerard

Pole standing challenge

Who is keen to join me for a one-time challenge, not to determine a winner, but to see how far you can go and reach the maximum goal.

Challenge:

1. Stand in your favourite holding posture for as long as it is needed to reach samadhi, it could be 90min or 14h. I feel that a sitting of many hours is required to reach that state; honestly, it "ain't that easy." :lol:

2. No breaks are allowed.

This challenge is extremely tough on the ego-mind, it will scream and find a way for you to quit, it will make pain to become unbearable to the point of feeling as if you are about to pass out. But it is all a trick of the mind to stop, and in this case the ego will win again as it has done numerous times in the past in your energetic practice.

I wish we could all meet in real life and do the challenge together, since group work is more motivating and creates a nice energy field around all the participants.

Anyway, let me know if you are keen so we can set up an specific date for the challenge.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Years ago, Before I started my current practice I built up to stainding in "embrace the tree" for an hour.

However, I found my current practice gives my nervous system enough juice on it's own. Adding too much standing on top feels like "too much" juice.

I like standing simple I Jong sometimes. Just standing pole with arms relaxed at the sides but mostly just to relaaaaaaaaax...

Breaking the ego is just a step away...just one second past completely surrendering...however, the more flexible it is the longer it seems to take, and many will probably quit before the ego is fully broken.

This is a horrific challenge for those who will go through with it. :o;) I am not going to!

I'm game. :D

I usually don't exceed an hour of standing in a single stretch, but I think I could go 5-7 given the proper motivation. 14h? Hard to imagine, but maybe. Have you, or do you know of anyone who has fallen asleep while practicing standing?

In the 36 chambers of Shaolin, they suggest that the Shaolin monks can sleep while standing on their heads!

A tough challenge or as you say maybe that is the ego?! I just don't think I could make it...

I wish we could all meet in real life and do the challenge together, since group work is more motivating and creates a nice energy field around all the participants.

An interesting point. As a student and in a group I often found I could stand for much longer because of this motivation but alas on my own I really struggle to get past fifteen minutes in Zhan Zhuang!

Anyone have any advice?

I just don't think I could make it...

That's the point...but your willpower can discipline your body to make it past the point that "you" don't. At least that's my view.

Scotty said:

Breaking the ego is just a step away...just one second past completely surrendering...however, the more flexible it is the longer it seems to take, and many will probably quit before the ego is fully broken.

This may be a strategy of distinctions not yet penetrating the root. That which chooses to decide to surrender by overcoming still has not given up picking and choosing. Objective awareness is not a matter of surrendering one for another. Achievement is in having forgotten the mind that creates distinctions.

One with mettle has no deliberations overcoming or surrendering for a lifetime of forgotten thoughts and feelings.❤

Actually I find that overcoming yourself through willpower directly penetrates the root. Anyway, enough from me. This challenge that Gerard offered up is not a matter of intellectual bantering...if you think you're smart, I suggest you take this challenge and see if you can break through completely. If you can, then I will consider your words.

No offense. :)

OH! Something one of my drill sergeants taught me:

"I can always do 2% more than my limit."

When you think you can't do anymore...recognize that as the moment that you have 2% more. In the next moment that it comes to mind, you still have 2% more.

You ALWAYS have 2% more to spare...keep going.

Basically, from a structural standpoint, a person could stand for a LONG time. Definitely more than 24 hours.

Gruesome. :lol:

Another one of my drill sergeants one day said "lets see which one of you has Heart!" and we had to hold up our rifles in front of us for over an hour.

I actually started crying at the end. :ninja:

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

OH! Something one of my drill sergeants taught me:

"I can always do 2% more than my limit."

When you think you can't do anymore...recognize that as the moment that you have 2% more. In the next moment that it comes to mind, you still have 2% more.

You ALWAYS have 2% more to spare...keep going.

Basically, from a structural standpoint, a person could stand for a LONG time. Definitely more than 24 hours.

Gruesome. :lol:

Another one of my drill sergeants one day said "lets see which one of you has Heart!" and we had to hold up our rifles in front of us for over an hour.

I actually started crying at the end. :ninja:

Good ole brain washing. :-P

I'm doing my time in the Military. It's a good gig.

I'd like to join this - but isn't the mental state needed to be achieved to "win" found while in a relaxed state? I'd think passing out is more likely than achieving samadhi. Especially if it's Tai Chi Quan standing postures. Those low stances are a good workout after going through them an hour!

I'm just a newbie so I'm theorizing. BUT! - on the flip side, after a long session of Tai Chi Quan i've come out feeling an amazing relaxation like nothing else... So I suppose it is possible. But I think bodily fatigue would kick in before a newbie like me would make samadhi.

• Like 1

Hi Scotty! No worries~

Actually I find that overcoming yourself through willpower directly penetrates the root. Anyway, enough from me. This challenge that Gerard offered up is not a matter of intellectual bantering...if you think you're smart, I suggest you take this challenge and see if you can break through completely. If you can, then I will consider your words.

Would you mind telling me how many times have you overcome yourself, so far?

Only once did I truly overcome myself through a practice like this. When I use the words "truly" "completely" and "fully", I truly mean it.

These days it happens effortlessly through relaxation and alchemy. So I should duck out of this topic since I'm not going to participate. _/\_

Edited by Scotty

I could only see how this would work in a group environment, the vast majority simply cannot break the pain barrier (myself included).

Lengthy periods of zz can have a detrimental effect on the body and mind. Beware !

Of course, zhan zhuang must be practiced; as the saying has it ‘practicing martial arts without holding postures is just but messing around’. San Ti, in particular, encapsulates the postural requirements of xingyi. ‘Of the myriad methods, none leaves San Ti’ ‘Mastering San Ti is halfway to success’. Whilst San Ti should not be held for long periods, it can be done several times a day. Each time you hold San Ti, you should only hold it for a maximum of 10 minutes, but this could be repeated two or three times a day. If you hold San Ti for an hour everytime you train, not only are you losing precious training time, it can also damage the nerves and capillaries in the legs. Overdoing zhan zhuang is one of the reasons why a lot of martial artists suffer leg and knee problems.

Source

Edited by lifeforce
  • Like 2

It only takes one time, Scotty. If you have actually severed the root once, it is severed forever.

If you had done this yourself, you would be capable of telling whether I had or not. And apparently you are not capable of this. :)

It only takes one time, Scotty. If you have actually severed the root once, it is severed forever.

So you're saying satori is impossible?

Nah, she's just blathering trying to sound important...in a topic that has nothing to do with what she's talking about.

That kind of attitude is one of the things that annoys me most about this forum.

Sounds like a typical high after awakening or some such experience, oh well, come back to earth at some point :)

Nah, she's just blathering trying to sound important...in a topic that has nothing to do with what she's talking about.

That kind of attitude is one of the things that annoys me most about this forum.

Are you still doing KAP?

I haven't started the challenge yet but I did stand early this morning, 4:15am start since I had to go to my local park. On a side note, I forgot my timer which I set up for 60min. The interesting thing is that without resorting to the use of time, I did stand more comfortably, a bit of tension along a couple of knots I got along GB channel in both thighs but nothing like I have experienced in the last couple of days where I was just waiting for the timer to go off. So I finished around the 80-85 min mark without any discomfort and I really liked that state since it felt I could go on forever. Why did I stop then? Two things I am about to go to work, but the main reason was one trick used by my ego-mind: boredom.I started to get bored thinking nothing is happening, where are all the cool sensations I always experience during meditation: visions, K. rising, bliss, etc. Nope I got bored and had to stop.

So it looks that Green Tiger is in. Cool, let me know when so we can start the challenge. This time nothing will stop me to continue until I reach the final goal...unless the mind finds a new trick...I hope it won't trigger the fear factor since my kidneys are still in recovery mode. :(

An interesting point. As a student and in a group I often found I could stand for much longer because of this motivation but alas on my own I really struggle to get past fifteen minutes in Zhan Zhuang!

Anyone have any advice?

I enjoy doing ZZ to Rawn Clarks Archaeous series. They're about 15 minutes long and are based on putting the elements stacked within the body. Legs feet to waist being Earth. Stomach region water. Chest region air..etc. They're free downloadable at abardoncompanion.com. I find the first 2 or 3 lessons to be great for doing ZZ to, although they weren't made for it. They make the 15 minutes go by quickly.

Edited by thelerner

My maximum time standing -arms relaxed at sides was an hour and a half.

I was so rooted - stuck?- I couldn't move.

I would think I'm going to move but I was unable to do so.

My teacher had to pull my arms and pat my legs to get me moving.

I did an hour for a number of years and reduced it to half an hour plus 3 - minutes santi - due to other practices.

I haven't started the challenge yet but I did stand early this morning, 4:15am start since I had to go to my local park. On a side note, I forgot my timer which I set up for 60min. The interesting thing is that without resorting to the use of time, I did stand more comfortably, a bit of tension along a couple of knots I got along GB channel in both thighs but nothing like I have experienced in the last couple of days where I was just waiting for the timer to go off. So I finished around the 80-85 min mark without any discomfort and I really liked that state since it felt I could go on forever. Why did I stop then? Two things I am about to go to work, but the main reason was one trick used by my ego-mind: boredom.I started to get bored thinking nothing is happening, where are all the cool sensations I always experience during meditation: visions, K. rising, bliss, etc. Nope I got bored and had to stop.

So it looks that Green Tiger is in. Cool, let me know when so we can start the challenge. This time nothing will stop me to continue until I reach the final goal...unless the mind finds a new trick...I hope it won't trigger the fear factor since my kidneys are still in recovery mode. :(

I agree, using a timer devolved the whole thing for me. It's all about presence, not shooting for a goal :) :).

Sign me up for the "challenge" been a while since i've done some good zhan zhaung :lol: