Aetherous

Help a Bum fund

Okay, so it bothers me that we have a fellow bum who is about to be on the streets. He's just been eating Ramen noodles! This is unacceptable in my view, when there are fellow bums here that are more fortunate. Maybe not everyone feels the same way about this. That's okay.

So for the ones who do, I suggest we offer our assistance. Forum member Twinner could use a little help at this time.

I'm not sure if he's willing to accept it...but this is an idea to share, and this thread is a place to coordinate our help.

Paypal is an easy way to transfer money to people.

Maybe Twinner will post a paypal email that we can use to send him some money...for food and whatever else he may need, until he can get a job teaching overseas or something else.

• Like 4

Hi guys,

I really don't know what to say except thanks for the offers of help. I've turned them down in the past, because I didn't want to take anything from anyone who needed it, and I know that with the economy the way it is, many of you could use it. I'm not too proud to accept assistance, I just don't want people who need the money giving it to me and causing themselves to be deprived.

I do have a paypal account and I am willing to accept help, but again, I don't want help if someone can't afford to give it. My paypal email is [email protected] . Thank you for your care and concern. I will try very hard to either return it to you later or help someone else in the same way.

Thank you again,

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Hello guys,

I want to thank you all for what you've done, it's moved me more than you can know. I didn't expect any help and the fact so many are willing to help me left me speechless. We talk about compassion so much and most of the time it just seems like talk, but what I know now for a fact is that compassion does live within the hearts of men and your selfless giving is a sign of that. I am going to work in a country where I can help children, I want to know that my work can give them a brighter future. I want to teach them not only English, but that there is a capacity for kindness within each of us.

Again, thank you for all you've done. I am not gone from my apartment yet, I have a few days left so I will drop in, but again thank you, the help you've given me is more than just money, I'm not even sure if I could express to you how much you've done for my spirit.

Aaron

P.S. I live in Orlando, Florida, so if anyone knows of anyone who might be willing to offer me room and board in exchange for working around the house or helping with their business, I would be willing to do that. If it's not in the Orlando area I can come to you. I would do the woofing thing, but I have a hernia that prevents me from doing a lot of heavy lifting. Also if anyone needs any help that I can give them, please ask, I'd be more than happy to offer my time and service doing what I can for you as part of my debt to the community here.

Edited by Twinner

I don't even know the guy but I'm in.

If you're lying though, does that mean double negative karma points? Because if I find out that you are... I'll..I'll... do nothing about it hahaha.

If you're lying though, does that mean double negative karma points? Because if I find out that you are... I'll..I'll... do nothing about it hahaha.

I wouldn't do it for someone I didn't know.

Not that I "know" Twinner but he's been on the forum for quite some. I've been on it for quite some. We've discussed and agreed and disagreed on various things. I think that weighs on my decision. The other thing is just how much ca$h I have spent/spend on gongs and therapies and acupunctures and books and all kinds of stuff. I figure if I can do that then I can help a fellow bum.

• Like 1

Hello Tao Bums,

It's funny how the world works. I was feeling a bit down last night, but today, seeing how many people actually cared about me, I was feeling very hopeful. I had forgotten for a moment that my brother was leaving. When I can home this afternoon I found all of his things packed up. I helped him load his stuff in to his car and then we drove to his new home. He's renting a small room in a nice neighborhood. His roommate is a teacher at a local technical college. He seems very laid back and a nice enough fellow, but I couldn't help but feel a bit of anger towards him. I guess a part of me thought he was stealing my brother from me. When I came home I was feeling very lonely and sad. I called a friend (trying to get the number to another friend) and I found out that he'd slipped off the wagon. I was heartbroken for him. I didn't talk though, I told him I'd call him tomorrow. I know that it's very hard to reason with someone while they're drunk.

I think in some ways that things happen by chance, but other times that things happen for a reason. I know that something in my friend's life was causing him great sorrow and that because of that he ended up drinking. I wish I had known what was happening so I could've been there to stop him, but one thing I've learned over the years is that we can rarely stop people from doing things they want to do. I will call him tomorrow and let him know that I'm here for him. I guess what I'm learning is that homelessness, poverty, they aren't the worst things that can happen to you, that sometimes it's not the pain and suffering of the body that get to you, but the pain and suffering of the mind.

Thanks again to everyone who's lent me financial support. For those who might want to help me, but can't, I ask that you keep me in your thoughts. If you pray, remember me, if you don't pray, remember me. I will certainly try to remember each and everyone of you.

Thank you,

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

It's not a lie. It's really happening. I wish it wasn't.

Thanks for your concern and compassion,

Aaron

Twinner/Aaron,

even better than helping you out short term would be to get you a stable life situation:

What kind of work experience do you have? Degree? Where do you want to work?

Somebody may be sitting on a job opportunity.

Mandrake

Hello Folks,

I wanted to thank everyone who has been kind enough to help me out by giving me money. I noticed I never mentioned money in the previous comments on this thread and perhaps it was because I felt a little shameful for having to accept help. That seems silly to me now, so I will say it to you all, thank you for the money you have given me, it has helped me more than you can know. I went from having $17 in my bank a few days ago to having enough to have a serious shot at a future off the streets.

I wanted to also update everyone on my situation, because I think you deserve to know what's going on since you've invested in my future. A kind member of the Tao Bums has offered to let me stay with them for awhile. I will be staying where I'm at to sort things out until my lights are scheduled to be turned off, then I will head out from here and start my new life. My brother has also offered to give me a couple days work next week, which will also help. Hopefully with the gifts I've received and the money I'll make next week, I'll be able to have enough to keep me afloat and pull my own weight.

For those interested in my pursuit of teaching jobs overseas, I really want to go to Georgia (the country) and teach English to children and adults in the rural areas. I think I could really have an impact on the people there and help them have a brighter future. The pay isn't much, around $450 a month, with $50 going back to the family for room and board. I will also tutor the family for a few hours each week. This is fine by me, since it will help me to get experience teaching and also the idea of helping people who might not receive it any other way, appeals to me. Also Georgia is as close to a sure thing I can get, since most people want to make a bit more money and visit more exciting locals.

In order to teach I needed a passport, FBI Criminal Background Check, and a copy of my medical records, i.e. a physical that states I'm capable of working in that capacity, which I have no doubts I will be. I've gotten the passport and Background check out of the way and I hope to see a doctor about a physical next week. When I can get this all together, they should be able to place me within a month. In the meantime I will use the kind donations I've received to help me survive and also look for work on the side.

Mandrake, I have a Bachelors in Liberal Arts with an emphasis on English and Psychology. Essentially a double major, but the school I went to, The Evergreen State College, only gives out Liberal Arts degrees. I have worked in sales, modular furniture installation, and e-commerce consulting (I help people set up eBay Stores, online stores, and Amazon stores, as well as train them in managing inventory and keeping their stores competitive.

So that's about it. Thank you all again for everything you have done.

I love you all,

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

It gladdens me things are brighter for you now. I also have a long interest in Sakartvelo, but unfortunately I don't have any contacts there that would be of help. When you get there, you should post about it since I may very well be going there in the near future.

The very best to you Aaron!

Mandrake

Scotty should be commended. It takes some balls to be the one to step up and say what you think needs to be said. Look at all the people who are willing to help out here, but it took someone to be the first to sayi it.

• Like 2

Scotty should be commended. It takes some balls to be the one to step up and say what you think needs to be said. Look at all the people who are willing to help out here, but it took someone to be the first to sayi it.

Point well made and I agree. Scotty is recognized!

Hi Twinner ,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

It is heartening to see everyones care and help though.

I have been living kind of an alternative lifestyle most of my adult life till some years back. Mostly squatting ,living in communities and sometimes nature. Living in nature was less often than Id like too , but it is my long term project to try again and pursue my dream of living in a tree house and see how I feel.

So I am quite professional in living and travelling with very little to no money :lol: , it is my skill in a way.

It is possible, and it is possible to do it with dignity by working for accomodation, exchanging skills and assesing 'your 'priorities . It is easy if this lifestyle is a choice and not a necessity of course.

Here are some links taht may be of some inspiration, WOOFING links etc:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MZ-EEcdB-LYJ:free-wwoof.info/+costa+rica+vegan+farm&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Here are some ideas in Europe that may be interesting for you or someone who reads this(dont know places in USA)..

There are many squatted villages , especially in Spain (now sprouting in Greece and Switszerland too I hear) . They are 'ghost' villages in ruins where people have not lived since fifties or even longer. People get together and renovate them. They accept visitors and after someone proves to be useful and fitting into the community ,they can often stay and build up some sort of dwelling too and stay.

Here is one for example:

http://thatroundhouse.info/matavenero.htm

However this people are smart and sensitive and weary of freeloaders and scavingers. This is their home.

Then there is this for example http://falconblanco.com/, the guy sounds a bit wierd but he kindly accepts people to stay for free for long/live there retreats(just search the page , youll find it) if they fit in with the rest of community.

There are so many communities that take on people all over the world. Most of retreats and sanghas in Europe have volounteers living and working there.

I have lived in sangha too for a while although not Buddhist , but becouse my keen interest in spirituality and liking of Buddhas teachings they took me in .

Than in Granada (Spain) there are caves outside of city that are inhabited by people, converted into dwellings, it is like a community. No electricity and such though.

Some are parts are full of artists and alike. Some are full of dodgy caracthers.

Another interesting link:

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/sustainable_communities.htm

http://www.en.argayall.com/work-with-us/

OK this is costs , but its a good opportunity for someone with a bit of cash, worth mentoining in here (a friend of friend volounteered there and had amazing time and said that the deal was very fair)

http://www.yogafarmcostarica.org/volunteering.htm

I found this , dont know of anyone using them

http://www.workaway.info/12634161864b-en.html

Just read your post on going to work in Georgia. That sounds great. Proabably very big culture difference to Florida.

Good luck.

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 2

Hey Twinner:-)

All that sounds like a great plan!

Wow Suninmyeyes! That's some really impressive travelling (sorry, I have this "wow" moment when I hear of adventure of any kind).

Hello Sunimyeyes,

I'm sure there will be a big culture difference, but they are in need of teachers so I have a faster chance of being able to find a job (my selfish reason) and also I will be able to help others who might need help (another selfish reason). Someone told me recently that any act of charity is selfish, because it helps us to feel better, but that doesn't mean it's bad, we just need to be aware of our motivations.

I've been helped a great deal by people here. My brother used to make fun of me because I called you all friends and I'd never met any of you in person, but I knew that wasn't true. You are all my friends, even those whom I might have differences of opinion with. The fact of the matter is that we're all drawn here for the same reason. We are very much alike, even though we have our differences.

I was grateful for this community, even before I received all the help I have, because it was a place where I could talk freely about things most people scoff at. I could say something here and people could see it for what it was without pretense. That's a beautiful thing.

Anyways back to the Georgia. I know there's risk involved, parts of the country are currently occupied by Russia and there are conflicts in the north, but I am certain that if I am doing something out of compassion, then whatever happens, good will come of it. Nothing wrong can come from compassion, unless we choose to see it as wrong.

May peace be with you,

Aaron

• Like 1