Aaron

Any other Anime fans out there?

I've been a big fan of Anime my entire life, ever since I first watched Battle of the Planets when I was just a wee lad, but it wasn't until I saw Akira that I began to appreciate it as an authentic form of cinema.

Anyways, I was wondering what series or movies people enjoyed and would recommend to other Tao Bums.

Aaron

Ranma 1/2

Through the whole show they're just punching through walls like it's nothing and saying that who can't do that must be a wimp, that pisses me off and makes me wanna train more :lol:

and uh... man, remembering about Ranma makes me want to re-watch it again, it's sooooooo good

Code Geass is probably the best anime I've ever seen (Code Geass- Lelouch of the Rebellion, two seasons- there are some spin offs and stuff, but that one is the best).

(Tengen Toppa) Gurren Lagann is also another great series (only one season- totally epic).

Death Note is also amazing (two seasons).

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 1st and 2nd Gig (basically gig 1 is season 1, gig 2 is season 2) is another great anime with great plots, characters, action, and philosophy all interwoven.

Those are just off the top of my head series that are pretty amazing, even if you're not a fan of anime.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

code geass is awsome but um i would go with japanese lion king

Or haruhi suzumiya

or mabye buddha

Wow i edited this like 5 times remebering more and fixing errors in the hyoperlinks lol.

Edited by mewtwo

Code Geass ...

Death Note is also amazing (two seasons).

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 1st and 2nd Gig (basically gig 1 is season 1, gig 2 is season 2) is another great anime with great plots, characters, action, and philosophy all interwoven.

Loved these anime and Hellsing Ultimate OVA too. I'm not sure what to recommend, so many that I like... Maybe Stein's Gate, Gintama, FMA and FMA: Brotherhood, Darker Than Black (first season, second not so good), Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Black Cat. Recently started watching Un-go and Mirrai Nikki.

Loved these anime and Hellsing Ultimate OVA too. I'm not sure what to recommend, so many that I like... Maybe Stein's Gate, Gintama, FMA and FMA: Brotherhood, Darker Than Black (first season, second not so good), Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Black Cat. Recently started watching Un-go and Mirrai Nikki.

Black cat was awesome! I haven't heard of many of those you listed. Thx for recommendations!

Lots of great suggestions so far. FLCL is in my top five best series of all time (not just anime). It's so out there and different, I really enjoyed it. I also liked Baccano!, Noein, Ghost Hound, Ga-Rei Zero (Excellent, but gory at times), and of course, who could forget Ouran High School Host Club. Ahh... I really love anime, it's practically all I watch now. I just hate subtitles so it's hard for me to watch something if it's not dubbed well. (All of these are well dubbed.)

I'm definitely not into shōnen anime, it just never appeals to me. I think the only shōnen title I watched and liked was Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. Although one could argue Ghost Hound was intended for a shōnen audience, I think the complex character development and unique story makes it something almost anyone can enjoy.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

anything by the guy/studio that made highlander and vampire hunter d bloodlust.

also heroic age is kind of acceptable.

I also really enjoyed Kaze no Stigma.

Hunter x Hunter is back from hiatus on manga but the anime hasn't picked up yet.

and of course seirei no moribito "guardian of the sacred spirit" one of my all time favorites.

here is a site that lists similar animes with reviews: http://www.anime-planet.com

I will checkout Noein.

Edited by Desert Eagle

Claymore was the best anime released in recent memory, the anime culture has drifted off into cutesy wootsy crap as of late and it's hard to find anything that doesn't suck so bad it hurts.

• Like 1

Fullmetal Alcehmist: Brotherhood!!!!

And Code Geass!!

Samurai Champloo!

Andddd

Vegabond the manga is probably the top notch quality manga you will ever find.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Anything by legendary anime director Hayao Miyazaki. Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Ponyo, Princess Monomoke, Castle in the Sky. He creates beautiful worlds, great story lines with an eastern sensibility. His heroes show more eastern virtues, conquering through kindness and subservience(?) rather then out right fighting.

• Like 2

Avatar is the best cartoon ever made . . . but i wouldn't call it anime

Yip Yip !

i recommend Shigurui

it's set in ancient japan, centers around a small clan of samurai

VERY graphic and violent, but the imagery, perspective, philosophy, and techniques are spectacular

it portrays quite accurately the culture of japan as far as i know(which isn't very well)

it's a pretty intense show, only 12 episodes or so, twenty minutes each

the first five minutes of the first episode will let you know if you're into it

cheers to good cinema

~

• Like 1

FullMetal Alchemist.

thread closed ;-)

+1 (+2 if you meant FMA:Brotherhood)

There are a lot of good mentions here like FLCL, Samurai Champloo, Darker Than Black, and Mushi-Shi.

To add to the list: Cowboy Bebop, Macross, and Pom Poco.

Avatar is the best cartoon ever made . . . but i wouldn't call it anime

Yip Yip !

i recommend Shigurui

it's set in ancient japan, centers around a small clan of samurai

VERY graphic and violent, but the imagery, perspective, philosophy, and techniques are spectacular

it portrays quite accurately the culture of japan as far as i know(which isn't very well)

it's a pretty intense show, only 12 episodes or so, twenty minutes each

the first five minutes of the first episode will let you know if you're into it

cheers to good cinema

~

Shigurui is amazing.

The anime ends rather abruptly. But the manga continues right through the finish, and is great.

Shigurui is amazing.

The anime ends rather abruptly. But the manga continues right through the finish, and is great.

Yeahhh I was happily suprised to know the manga was completed cause the anime was INTENSE, but doesn't finish.

But wow im impressed you guys all have awesome taste in anime, im going through all the posts like "yeah, yeah, yeah!"

Another anime/manga i've enjoyed is Grappler Baki, the characters are really cool representing all the fighting styles. Theres some funny crossovers from real life martial arts masters like Mas Oyama and Ueshiba. Music is also nice.

Full Metal Alchemist really did it for me. It'll keep you busy though, with 51 episodes. Starts off kinda simple and goofy, but really picks up along the way. Ghost in the Shell I thought was decent. There were a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop that I found really moving, but not many. Samurai Champloo was pretty decent. Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke were good. Also found that my public library (in the middle of nowhere) has a couple hundred anime DVD's, all pretty much standard 2 hour movies. Many don't appeal to me, but some of the non-actiony, drama type were oddly interesting. Wish I could remember the names . . . but just an idea to check your library. I like free stuff.

静かな子

dragon ball,dragon ball z,dragon ball G.T,yu yu hakusho ghost files

Sailor moon :sarcasm:

Edited by michael245

Full Metal Alchemist really did it for me. It'll keep you busy though, with 51 episodes. Starts off kinda simple and goofy, but really picks up along the way.

We talking about the first series, which developed its own anime story, or Fullmental Alchemist: Brotherhood, which follows the manga pretty much word for word?

Both are pretty good. But Brotherhood is WAAAAAAAY better than the first anime to come out. It's a fully fleshed out story that is, in my opinion, much more satisfying.

There were a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop that I found really moving, but not many.

Yeah, Cowboy Bebop was one of those kind of "meandering" anime, where there are a bunch of episodes loosely tied together by an underlying plot. Overall, only about 5-7 eps had any real "plot", which was still pretty awesome. Then each character had an episode or two for their back story. And then miscellaneous stuff. For the friends who can't get into it, I usually just tell them what episodes to watch so they get the characters and the story. If you don't like the way the story is set up (and a lot of people just can't get into it), it's easy to miss out on a pretty good story.

I also despise cutsy type anime, and I face slap to Avatar-Air Bender. Air Bender just seems like it's on the same level of Pokemon to me. :-(

Moon Phase was cutsy but it had me rolling with laughter, and Solty Rei felt really heartfelt to me, almost like it had soul(same way with Moon Phase).

Has anyone here ever watched an anime that gave you an electric shock or powerful feeling of connectedness or meaning? I've had that in Anime and Manga, XXXHolic volumes 1 and 2(Manga) and Moon Phase for Anime.

It helped that I was at a point in my life where I was actively feeling subtle energy as a side effect of meditation, so I think there was a sort of spiritual connection happening.

We talking about the first series, which developed its own anime story, or Fullmental Alchemist: Brotherhood, which follows the manga pretty much word for word?

I have only seen the first series, and Conquerors of Shambala. I'd like to see the 2nd, but I don't get much time for entertainment atm. And the bulk of it seems to be going to this site, heh. So much to read.