Thunder_Gooch

Released: Seeking the Master of Mo Pai: Adventures with John Chang by Jim McMillan

Gary Clyman is a prime example of a character fail.

He gets thrown out of class by teacher after teacher but doesn't get it. Did Liao tear him to pieces? Nope.

Liao treated him with respect, let him keep his dignity. Ask Liao about him today and Liao doesn't go off on a tangent.

Ask Clyman about Liao? Look the fuck out.

Seems a bit familiar doesn't it?

It's too bad we can't all get along better. Oh, well.

We should all sit down in a cedar lined room, like a sauna style room and pass around some hippy grass.

• Like 2

I know your 'two signs'.

i experienced them within 6 months of my training.

Had I been your student, I might have ruptured my dantian not even halfway in my level 1.

You might not been told not to teach.

But when you decided to teach, did you have the courtesy to ask Shifu for pemission?

I read in other thread, you use this "not yet forbidden' as an excuse to secretly teach.

Listen, in chinese culture, you dont teach unless you are told.

When you are deemed worthy and reach a sufficient level, you will be automatically told to teach.

unill then you arent ready to be a teacher.

Students of Jim, please read what thunderindo wrote and take heed. There was one student who came to Indonesia to meet John Chang and headmaster for further instruction, he was turned down on both occassion. Please do not waste your time and money thinking that you would be the special someone whom the school will make an exception and will give you further instruction and training.

The signs Jim are talking about is not the signs that signal your completion of level 1. There are a number of students who thought their dantiens are full and progressed to the next level of training without confirmation and supervision. The outcome is that their health suffered and their dantien are affected. The Mopai system is not to be taken lightly.

My suggestion and recommendation, sorry to say, is to drop the training. There is no way you can continue this path and your unsupervised training is hazardous to your health. I know that most of you will not listen to me, but I have to at least put this out there, and hope some will take heed.

As to Micah/Lin, once again no one in Mopai and, especially, John Chang has ever spoken to or meet him/them. Hopefully people will not get suckered in to his scam.

• Like 2

ok i'll buy that you might need supervision for the first level, but then how does this account for the fact that liao died before john finished level 2a? john completed 2a, 2b and 3 by himself before he spoke with liao as i understand.

ok i'll buy that you might need supervision for the first level, but then how does this account for the fact that liao died before john finished level 2a? john completed 2a, 2b and 3 by himself before he spoke with liao as i understand.

I don't know where you got that information. Liao Shifu was alive when John Chang passed lvl 2b and progressed to other levels. Liao Shifu passed away before John Chang had fused his dantien, but by then, he was advanced enough to progress without supervision.

Justice/Jim?.

i find it strange that in a reply to me you just spew out utter nonsense/bullshit. I think Micah is a piece of shit. He's a con man.

What do I think about Jim?

You have 3 sides to a story. 1. His 2. Hers 3. The truth.

I think that Jim is possibly seeing things in a light that deems him completely innocent.

I think that he probably did something or displayed something that may have been a character fail.

Just because he is a man that is ill doesn't mean that he should be coddled.

This is not Jim. Jim I don't think would swear as much as I do and no one throws out insults better than me. Do you think Jim could of came up with SHIFU LIN YAH! No I am the insult master. I don't do the multi quote or else I would of quoted everyone else. I didn't mutter any bullshit. Jim isn't pretending to be someone master. He's only said what he believes he has completed. What that is only Jim and John really know as far as I'm concerned. As it was already said Lin is a PHONY. I'm just really happy that everyone is clear on that now. Finally I can say my punch line.

JUSTICE IS SERVED!!!!!

Question : Is an Asian from the West also a Westerner?

Also interested to know the "policy" on this.

Edited by Ish

Please can you answer these questions...

Has shifu yang achieved the battery/ming/forth level/golden pill etc?

Around what level is immortal May?

When in mopai is the immortal fetus (yang spirit) created and projected? Level 30?

Do you condense ur battery after attaining it making your chi field really dense.

At what level are you a celestial immortal?

Edited by Jascha

This is not Jim. Jim I don't think would swear as much as I do and no one throws out insults better than me. Do you think Jim could of came up with SHIFU LIN YAH! No I am the insult master. I don't do the multi quote or else I would of quoted everyone else. I didn't mutter any bullshit. Jim isn't pretending to be someone master. He's only said what he believes he has completed. What that is only Jim and John really know as far as I'm concerned. As it was already said Lin is a PHONY. I'm just really happy that everyone is clear on that now. Finally I can say my punch line.

JUSTICE IS SERVED!!!!!

I almost spit my drink out with laughter after I read your punch line. Very funny sir. Made my day :)

• Like 1

Thank you... I've been waiting patiently to use it. A happy ending indeed.

I almost spit my drink out with laughter after I read your punch line. Very funny sir. Made my day :)

The REAL advice of this thread:

As to Micah/Lin, once again no one in Mopai and, especially, John Chang has ever spoken to or meet him/them. Hopefully people will not get suckered in to his scam.

Dear Jim,

as I read in another thread you are having health problems let me first of all wish you to get well soon!

While most probably we can all understand and sympathize with your disappointment may I ask you why you seem to be ready to accept that another guy like Kosta is removed from training:

Now about Kosta, clearly, you do not know Kosta. John told me way back in 95 that he didn't like Kosta, and in 96 he said he was not going to teach him any more. Why?...because he couldn't trust him.

but when it comes to you this is not acceptable anymore?

If you have been working, like most of us, you might have been fired before.

This happens for various reasons, where "right" or "wrong" very much depends on which side you belong to, but in any case it is always at the discretion of the person who hires you and not to yourself to decide.

He may have his own reasons, which you may find hard to understand as you are not in his shoes, but once you are fired you simply look for another job and let this one go.

Isn't it that simple?

Best

YM

• Like 1

Yeah Jim! Let go off 10 years of hard work, thousands of hours of training, thousands of dollars, and one of his mos respected friend. You guys talk like you could spend all that of yourself and walk away without a fight!!!!! I bet none of you could dedicate all that. Ever you could never be that devoted and walk away without a struggle. Piss off. Don't comment on here if your gonna say something about Jim. It's getting as old as getting bitten by Mosquitos.

And this is what you do to a dedicated student for 13 years?

Ya, and you would just calmly walk away smiling. You talk a good story, but I think if you were in my shoes you wouldn't do anything much differently.

I became so upset with John's coward-ness that I wasn't going to allow him or his demons to stop me. I am determined to continue my training and not depend on a man who hasn't the courage to tell me to my face what the problem is and have someone I don't know tell me. That is not a man! And if you support this, you are also not a man. A man gets up from being knocked down and finds a way to climb a mountain. John never helped me over that mountain, which would have been the right thing to do.

You are not a slave for 13 years! As a student, you have lots of qi, learned lots of magic stuff out of this world. Why shouldn't you be grateful for that? It has been explained to you multiple times why John Chang couldn't teach you further and why he didn't deliver the news to you personally through the phone. You should realize that you usually communicated with him through a translator only. May be you should have learned Indonesian or Chinese? Things might have been a lot clearer. What is your point in writing a book and criticizing your ex-teacher again and again? To show people how ungrateful you are and how angry you have been? What would that accomplish? I guess you have a group of followers but you have also created a monster in Naziri/Lin who stabbed you on your back. There have been many people who offered you good advice in this forum (like YM Wong in this thread, your friend Truth Seeker in the Lin/Naziri thread, Drew, Ken whom I quoted in 2011), so I won't repeat them again. At any case, good luck with your cancer. It isn't good for the body to fight any disease, let alone cancer if one is angry and full of hatred all the time. In Chinese, angry is 生气 (Sheng Qi). One can translate that into "generating qi" but in some people's interpretation, Sheng qi results in loss of qi. In your state of mind, all the qi that you have generated in 13 years were probably long gone.

Edited by Neikung

Yeah Jim! Let go off 10 years of hard work, thousands of hours of training, thousands of dollars, and one of his mos respected friend. You guys talk like you could spend all that of yourself and walk away without a fight!!!!! I bet none of you could dedicate all that. Ever you could never be that devoted and walk away without a struggle. Piss off. Don't comment on here if your gonna say something about Jim. It's getting as old as getting bitten by Mosquitos.

Well we could build a shrine in Jim's honor. He could be holding the fused dantian in his left hand while his right is pulling down lightning from the heavens. His inscription will say "A man of innocence. A God among Neikung practitioners. Down with the evil Chang"

Let's all just assume that Jim was a perfect student. The only flaw was his dedication.

What if John had let Jim get to say level 10 an then cut him off? How would Jim express his anger and resentment then?

Jim has resentment. I understand that. Is the proper way to rid yourself of that to lay judgement upon your teacher.

Jim's dedication was awesome. I feel as if it were a selfish dedication. I say this because I agree with the language issue. 13 years and no Mandarin or Bahasi? Unless I'm mistaken. Anyway. I'm done here unless someone directly responds to my post.

Ok, I realize I may come off as a "jack@ss clown" with the following HIGHLY-speculative armchair psychoanalysis here, but genuinely NO disrespect intended at ALL! I have actually been inspired by your strong dedication and training before..

/\

So just in the spirit of healing, I thought I might humbly offer a few casual observations, in case you might find them possibly useful. And if not, please feel free to ignore them. :)

I've run into so many of these idiots through the years and I am still running into them unfortunately.

Wow, how easy is it to turn things around to try and cut other people down to make them selves feel better about them selves.

He is nothing but a self-serving, egotistical, idealistic hard head who believes he alone is the sole sentry of his school...when his teacher is completely capable of handling things without him.

You know, it would be nice for once to see someone like you to come to me first and discuss things with me before you stick you foot in your mouth and look like a fool after I have a chance to explain myself.

It is way too easy to bad mouth people with hearsay and misinformed information. I wish you would grow up and stop trying to be the authority on everything in the world. You don't have the intelligence for that, which was proven by your inability to come to me first as a mature man.

Do note that many of the annoying pet peeves that frustrate you about some posters here...are also exactly what some of the Indonesian students have accused you of. In psychotherapy, this is no mere coincidence - but a form of "Freudian projection."

Do not think at any moment that you are the only one who is privy to John Chang and your situation.

You called John Chang a coward for not telling you he can't teach you to his face and had another person to give you the bad news. Get over yourself. Do you think you are important to Mopai and its success? What arrogance! Have you ever thought for a moment that John Chang's insufficient grasp of the English language is the reason why he asked someone else to explain why he can't teach you anymore. I know for a fact that many time in your conversation with John Chang, someone was present to interpret for you and John Chang. In fact I was one of them.

What dedication have you given to John Chang? All you did was dedicate your time and effort for yourself. The money and time you spent is not for John Chang, but to further your training and progress. So don't spout BS about your dedication to John Chang.

Yes, you went to his family weddings, ate at his home and John Chang is generous like that. But, it wasn't only you who John Chang invited. Many other "Western" students got invited too. You are not special at all, nor was your relationship with him unique. John Chang is a generous person and his generosity was and is extended to other people and Westerners, besides yourself.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are not 3rd lvl student. John Chang has many times told us that. You might be close to passing lvl 2a, but you were never acknowledged or given the lvl 3 instructions. John Chang has never given you the lvl 3 training method. You might misunderstood the instructions for lvl 2a and mistaken it for lvl 3.

Yadda, yadda...

Now, I don't really care how true any of this "he said/she said" is...my simple point is how identifying any possible "Freudian projection" (via "shadow work" or Byron Katie's "The Work") within yourself could serve as a crucial step in healing. Because then you could change it - and also your life-at-large by extension. And until you do, you will keep suffering these same patterns over and over ad nauseum...

People like you are just side-lined, opinionated wannabees.

Instead, my beloved teacher had some guy, a complete stranger, call me to give me the bad news...after all the time, money I spent and dedication I gave to him. Not to mention leading me on to believe he would continue teaching me to the 4th level and beyond. What kind of person "knows" he is not supposed to do something, even giving his word/oath and then violates that?

not once did my teacher ever apologize or show me he cared after he dropped the bomb...he just dumped me after 13 years of dedicating myself to him and would not speak to me again

I spent the next several years trying to get some information from him and it took him 3 years to finally respond, and then he didn't respond, he had someone else do it for him...again! And of course you think this is OK...you would.

I have a right to be angry, what kind of teacher helps you for 13 years and then dumps you without notice and then it takes three more years to find out what was going on...

This almost sounds like you might have had a stepfather (or other father figure) that you never felt you met their approval and were spurned by? I feel this is where a lot of the real raw emotion and hurt lies. Which could be a classic monomythic conflict where the "hero" (you) seeks "atonement with the Father."

Anyhow, to release turmoil and stop manifesting aggravating situations in life - one must uproot the cause of their turmoil. Life is a heroic journey to truly find and resolve that in each one of us.

And I don't think qigong is meant to be a generic & complete, systematic template to shoehorn this entire journey into anymore. But rather, a useful vehicle or segment along the spiral narratives of our lives.. Ignore the broader, underlying thematic personal issues in your storybook life at your own peril, everyone!

Getting a 5th-degree black belt...won't cure your alcoholism, in short. And working on one while neglecting the other (instead of together)...is spiritual escapism, not engagement and integration. Problem is, none of us can escape our own shadows! And this goes for everyone here!

Respect & Best Wishes, All!

:)

Edited by vortex

I've been learning from Jim for quite sometime, and perhaps I would be considered one of Jim's most senior students... I have to say Jim is an excellent mopai meditator and also a great person. He is one of the people I admire. My only regret is I haven't been able to communicate with him as much as I would want to. Over the many years learning through my 20s and into my 30s I have always been so impressed by his patience with the school. And I know John deep down, thinks he is a nice guy too.

I want to add a little to this, being I've trained for a little while I feel a connection to the school as I have meditated for couple 1000s of hours in it's style linking to Buddhidharma and Chang Sang Feng. From the sounds of things I believe the school is in a "spiritual" decline. I wish I could help everyone out in this regard.

John had the right idea to open the school up to the west. Some of us in the west appreciate this art even more then east, as does the East appreciates some things about the West more.

I believe the school did not expect Jim to do so well and be so dedicated. Jim was able to accomplish so much despite living so far away, having so little time in Java, and the language barrier. To this day I think a lot of the students will have difficulty achieving his level of 2b. Remember- he has video recording of the 2b instructions.

Now I would understand the locals would be very jealous of Jim.... At the ultimate level there is no room to be racist. I like people from all races, you should too. Members of the school or at least the 'head' should know there is no distinction between skin colours when we trace back the roots. Hence the art does not belong to sole pure blood 'chinese' people. School aside, John and Jim should at least patch things up as they were very long time friends and are our elders for most of us. Why would anyone encourage dissent?

There are some of us who have done exceptionally well under Jim, considering. With no spoon feeding, totally isolated from inspiration abilities etc.

I hope the school can consider there are some fine students here who have emerged who would like to bring back the honour to the school.

You may not believe but there are some good people of all colour skins who want to bring peace and love with the art. And on a daily basis put great effort into being good humans.

Warm Regards

TF

• Like 3

I've been learning from Jim for quite sometime, and perhaps I would be considered one of Jim's most senior students... I have to say Jim is an excellent mopai meditator and also a great person. He is one of the people I admire. My only regret is I haven't been able to communicate with him as much as I would want to. Over the many years learning through my 20s and into my 30s I have always been so impressed by his patience with the school. And I know John deep down, thinks he is a nice guy too.

I want to add a little to this, being I've trained for a little while I feel a connection to the school as I have meditated for couple 1000s of hours in it's style linking to Buddhidharma and Chang Sang Feng. From the sounds of things I believe the school is in a "spiritual" decline. I wish I could help everyone out in this regard.

John had the right idea to open the school up to the west. Some of us in the west appreciate this art even more then east, as does the East appreciates some things about the West more.

I believe the school did not expect Jim to do so well and be so dedicated. Jim was able to accomplish so much despite living so far away, having so little time in Java, and the language barrier. To this day I think a lot of the students will have difficulty achieving his level of 2b. Remember- he has video recording of the 2b instructions.

Now I would understand the locals would be very jealous of Jim.... At the ultimate level there is no room to be racist. I like people from all races, you should too. Members of the school or at least the 'head' should know there is no distinction between skin colours when we trace back the roots. Hence the art does not belong to sole pure blood 'chinese' people. School aside, John and Jim should at least patch things up as they were very long time friends and are our elders for most of us. Why would anyone encourage dissent?

There are some of us who have done exceptionally well under Jim, considering. With no spoon feeding, totally isolated from inspiration abilities etc.

I hope the school can consider there are some fine students here who have emerged who would like to bring back the honour to the school.

You may not believe but there are some good people of all colour skins who want to bring peace and love with the art. And on a daily basis put great effort into being good humans.

Warm Regards

TF

I really don't understand the arrogance of Jim and some of his students who claimed that the Mopai students are jealous of Jim's "rapid" progress and accomplishments. There are many Mopai students who have attained the same level or higher than Jim, in a much shorter period of time. You might argue the distance and time might be a factor, and I say BS. Other Mopai students who lived outside Indonesia have progressed at much faster rate than Jim. The only reason you don't know of them is that they are humble human beings, unlike the arrogant few whom I have mentioned. Please don't put yourself up high on the pedestal, get over yourselves. Furthermore, there have been more students who have passed to lvls that are higher than Jim than ever before. Thus, to say that the current pool of Mopai students are lazy and jealous of Jim is ridiculous. Currently, there are many students who are in their 20s and 30s who are at the lvl of where Jim is at. In short, Mopai is thriving.

In your statement in regards to accusation that Mopai is racist, we have explained many times, so I shall not bother. As to your statement of dissent, look to Jim on that point. He has spewed out bitterness, anger, vehemence to create dissent, but it did not work. It kind of backfired actually. Mopai students are more united than ever before.

By the way, John Chang is one of the nicest person that you will ever meet. This situation with Jim, has not placed you guys (Jim's students) at any advantage at all, to be frank, it's the opposite. Your suggestion for Jim's students being accepted by Mopai to bring honor back is, sorry to say, slim to none (this opinion is not only mine by the way). The only honor lost here is Jim's. In actuality, Mopai has regained its honor by John Chang's and Mopai students' dedication and commitment to its rules and oath, and throwing out the bad eggs, like Jim.

• Like 1

I really don't understand the arrogance of Jim and some of his students who claimed that the Mopai students are jealous of Jim's "rapid" progress and accomplishments. There are many Mopai students who have attained the same level or higher than Jim, in a much shorter period of time. You might argue the distance and time might be a factor, and I say BS. Other Mopai students who lived outside Indonesia have progressed at much faster rate than Jim. The only reason you don't know of them is that they are humble human beings, unlike the arrogant few whom I have mentioned. Please don't put yourself up high on the pedestal, get over yourselves. Furthermore, there have been more students who have passed to lvls that are higher than Jim than ever before. Thus, to say that the current pool of Mopai students are lazy and jealous of Jim is ridiculous. Currently, there are many students who are in their 20s and 30s who are at the lvl of where Jim is at. In short, Mopai is thriving. In your statement in regards to accusation that Mopai is racist, we have explained many times, so I shall not bother. As to your statement of dissent, look to Jim on that point. He has spewed out bitterness, anger, vehemence to create dissent, but it did not work. It kind of backfired actually. Mopai students are more united than ever before. By the way, John Chang is one of the nicest person that you will ever meet. This situation with Jim, has not placed you guys (Jim's students) at any advantage at all, to be frank, it's the opposite. Your suggestion for Jim's students being accepted by Mopai to bring honor back is, sorry to say, slim to none (this opinion is not only mine by the way). The only honor lost here is Jim's. In actuality, Mopai has regained its honor by John Chang's and Mopai students' dedication and commitment to its rules and oath, and throwing out the bad eggs, like Jim.

Can anyone independently verify that you are, indeed, a student of this John Chang? Frankly, with all of the fraud that has occurred surrounding the Mo Pai system, I can't read any statement of claim that someone knows the system or John Chang without rolling my eyes.

Warm Regards

TF

Same goes for you, buddy.

I don't really get the fixation on this system, aside from the challenge factor. Sure, its remote, exotic, and exclusive, but so are a lot of resorts and if I can't afford or get into the Four Seasons on Lanaii, I can always go to the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu. The food is better there, anyway.

Are you guys really all charged up about lighting newspapers on fire?

Jim has resentment. I understand that. Is the proper way to rid yourself of that to lay judgement upon your teacher. Jim's dedication was awesome. I feel as if it were a selfish dedication. I say this because I agree with the language issue. 13 years and no Mandarin or Bahasi? Unless I'm mistaken. Anyway. I'm done here unless someone directly responds to my post.

I have not read Jim's book -- just the tidbits that people have posted here. But I think it's more than the language issue. You say the dedication is awesome. But also consider the irony that Jim demonstrated telekinesis with Sifu John Chang's "yin field" help -- and yet then Jim writes a book that is against John Chang's reliance on spirit energy.

I have then read More Pie Guy or someone saying the "yin chi" field can not be detected or perceived while someone else has stated that the person's spirit can not be seen.

From my own research it would seem that the "yin energy field" John Chang created to enable Jim to do telekinesis is a spiritual energy field much like John Chang creates a "yin energy field" to contact the spirits in the sacred kris swords.

So again the irony here is immense -- a man travels to the other side of the world for 13 years, to study a secret training and yet on a fundamental level Jim had rejected the tenets of the training despite having developed some abilities that apparently are dependent on the same spirit energy he rejects.

So on the one hand there is a real concern of priority -- Jim's video of the telekinesis with John Chang instantly earned Jim "street cred" but it would appear to be at the expense of John Chang considering Jim then wrote a book deriding John Chang's reliance on spirit energy.

So the Indonesian school is being victimized here by the forces of globalization in that the foundation of the training and teaching has still not been accepted by the Westerner who then went on to "teach" something at his own violition -- based on his own individual pursuit of the knowledge.

For example consider Westerners who travel very often on their own to seek out rare medicinal knowledge from non-western cultures in lush rainforest habitats -- or just from cultures with long traditions of herbal medicine like in India -- if one individual profits from these discoveries that were generously shared with the Westerner -- then this profit-seeking is rightly denounced as "biopiracy."

There are national laws against "biopiracy" - which is a form of neocolonial intelllectual theft -- for example Western corporations have tried to patent various products like Basmati rice or Neem, or medicinal plants like Ayahuasca, etc.

O.K. those attempts were made by individuals who returned back to the West with their own corrupted version of the intellectual property -- attempting to WEsternize the information - outside of its local cultural context.

And now we have charges by the Westerners essentially of "reverse racism" -- i.e. how dare the Indonesians call the Westerner a racist when this magical training originates from our common ancestors from whom all the various diversities of culture have emerged.

Indeed -- this is the situation. And so the Indonesians feel obligated to not just protect their school from misappropriation by Westerners but also to ensure that this "biopiracy" does not happen again.

Someone who makes a mistake like this - the Westerner -- may have really had good intentions but it is doubly ironic that for a Westerner to train in nonwestern philosophy as mind-body transformation - there is even more of a confrontration with what I have called the rotten root at the core of Western civilization.

well that article on the rotten root is now gone off the internet but it was posted back in 2001 originally.

Anyway so the thing is that then Jim got sick and to add a third time to the irony, apparently one of Jim's students turned against Jim, to take advantage of Jim, to set up an even more "fake" Mo Pai Westernized school that the Indonesians have now outed as fraudulent.

So obviously that this happened to Jim - that someone turned around and took advantage of him when he was in a weakened conditioned -- that would make Jim be more self-righteously indignent and subconsciously more aware of what he had done to John Chang.

But again what I call the "rotten root" has remained - and that is this problem of diversity within unity -- or what Jim denies as the fundamental truth of the spirit realm -- coherent light forms co-existing holographically yet unified by a spacetime vortex -- to summarize it in modern terminology.

For me music has been and remains the best mental model to sparse these subtleties -- because each language for example co-evolved to the local ecology that a human culture has developed within and languages are often tonal -- especially the older they are - music is the language of emotion - and emotions are the real power behind the paranormal spiritual energy.

So the thing is the Western philosophy tried to "contain" the Emptiness which is really a female formlessness as non-dual unseen consciousness -- and now we have John Chang stating this is the "yin chi" energy - and this is true!

The Jing energy is the material reflection of this cosmic female formlessness that can not be seen -- within the material sexual energy is the spirit light pre-natal or pre-heaven light energy.

Western philosophy, rooted out of Brahmin logical tautologies - "I Am that I Am" - which became materialistic around 1200 BCE with the iron age -- this was an alchemical attempt to "contain" infinity through the Western definition of God from rectilinear geometric technology. So Brahman and God have the same Indo-European root word from COW - using plow-based rectilinear geometry.

In fact I wrote an article on this that was picked up in Malaysia....

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/soc.culture.malaysia/MLsIOyCAuEE

Yeah there is it from 2005.

From

drewhempel's Blog:

Why the Alphabet is Satanic

B09368 / Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:57:27 / Intelligence

So someone has brought up not learning the local language.

Indeed - I am not one to talk about learning other languages - but I do advocate respecting this local diversity from the view point of music as the language of emotion and how this origin of Western phonetic language was tied to a universal monotheism that destroys local justice and ecological harmony.

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus
  • Like 1

As in another thread current on TaoBums, there is plainly a huge cultural divide between the Indonesian students and the Americans, and every post just seems to flare up more anger. That’s not going to calm down until both sides understand how their cultural perspectives are coloring their ideas. I’ll take a stab at laying out some fundamentals, please correct any mistakes I may make.

In the Asian perspective: the student owes the teacher loyalty and obedience, and the teacher is responsible for making sure the training is correct and the student is training safely. There is no “long term contract” though, and at any time the teacher may end the teaching for any reason if he feels that’s the right thing to do. The teacher points to the mountain and explains some things about it, but the student is responsible to climb it alone, at his own pace, and without much hand-holding.

Therefore: John Chang has done nothing wrong. He did a Western thing in following his logical mind rather than his spirit ancestors, and he taught the West, because logically all people are the same, so there should be no problem. When problems did arise, he stopped teaching all Westerners, which was his right. Jim and other Westerners were then responsible for finding their own paths. Shifu Chang actually suffered himself by being removed as head of Mopai, and was in no position in any way to help any Westerner continue in Mopai.

In the American perspective: a long-term teacher-student relationship often involves emotional intimacy and becomes something of a father-son relationship. The teacher is invested in the student’s progress, and in turn the student feels an obligation to work hard and advance steadily. They go up the mountain together, sharing the experience on an emotional as well as intellectual level. The teacher only ends the relationship if there is a major problem they cannot resolve, and even then the teacher likely feels an obligation to help the student find another teacher.

Therefore: Shifu Chang was right to expand Mopai to the West, he just wasn’t careful enough in choosing students (e.g. Verdessi). However, Jim had been a good student up to that point, therefore it was a breach of trust for Shifu Chang to expel him along with the other Westerners. Furthermore, Shifu Chang did not tell Jim personally and did not take any responsibility for Jim’s continued training, such as pointing him in another direction in which he might pursue a similar or “next best” training. And so Jim was angry at Shifu Chang for failing to uphold his teaching responsibilities as defined in the West.

Complicating factors:

1. John Chang does not speak English well, so he could not personally fully explain to Jim why Westerners were being kicked out.

2. John Chang, it seems, also has the Asian trait of wanting to avoid personal conflict or criticism. Shifu Chang apparently never told Kosta to his face, “Why the hell did you write the book that way?” And also he did not try to personally explain to Jim (e.g. with an interpreter over the phone) why his training must end, as would be absolutely expected of any Western teacher. In Asia, this trait in Shifu Chang shows a gentle person who values harmony, and other people used to this trait would intuitively understand him. In America, this frustrates people and makes them feel like they’re being avoided and they can’t get a straight answer.

3. Westerners usually don’t perceive ancestor spirits in the way Asians do, and clearly Jim and Shifu Chang view the spirit of Ancestor May in totally opposite ways. In Asia, not only are spirit ancestors your elders and superiors, but they also have vision and wisdom that we do not because they’re in the spiritual realm. There is a difference between the spirits of departed people (especially high-level masters) and spirits which are often called demons, elementals, djinn, lower devas, etc. – beings who are not human in origin and who should generally be avoided, as Shifu Chang has advised. In (Christian) America, a non-Christian spirit that is trying to guide you is a demon and should be avoided at all costs.

And that, my friends, is 75% of why we’re seeing these arguments. The other 25% is emotion, egos, and personality conflicts. 100% of it is surmountable with patience, understanding, and a deflation of egos. But will that happen? Sadly, I seriously doubt it.

The obvious problem here is that you can’t hold someone in another culture to the standards of your culture. When a student studies with a teacher, that student has to play by the teacher’s rules. Jim was in Sifu Chang’s world and had to live by those norms. Unfortunately they never had a conversation about what would happen if Sifu Chang could no longer teach, so when that traumatic day came, it was too late to understand each other and avoid very painful feelings.

• Like 3

I really don't understand the arrogance of Jim and some of his students who claimed that the Mopai students are jealous of Jim's "rapid" progress and accomplishments. There are many Mopai students who have attained the same level or higher than Jim, in a much shorter period of time. You might argue the distance and time might be a factor, and I say BS. Other Mopai students who lived outside Indonesia have progressed at much faster rate than Jim. The only reason you don't know of them is that they are humble human beings, unlike the arrogant few whom I have mentioned. Please don't put yourself up high on the pedestal, get over yourselves. Furthermore, there have been more students who have passed to lvls that are higher than Jim than ever before. Thus, to say that the current pool of Mopai students are lazy and jealous of Jim is ridiculous. Currently, there are many students who are in their 20s and 30s who are at the lvl of where Jim is at. In short, Mopai is thriving. In your statement in regards to accusation that Mopai is racist, we have explained many times, so I shall not bother. As to your statement of dissent, look to Jim on that point. He has spewed out bitterness, anger, vehemence to create dissent, but it did not work. It kind of backfired actually. Mopai students are more united than ever before. By the way, John Chang is one of the nicest person that you will ever meet. This situation with Jim, has not placed you guys (Jim's students) at any advantage at all, to be frank, it's the opposite. Your suggestion for Jim's students being accepted by Mopai to bring honor back is, sorry to say, slim to none (this opinion is not only mine by the way). The only honor lost here is Jim's. In actuality, Mopai has regained its honor by John Chang's and Mopai students' dedication and commitment to its rules and oath, and throwing out the bad eggs, like Jim.

according to jim: john himself (and others, i think henky as well) have said that there can only be one person who is at or above the fusion level, and it's he who will be the leader. how can there be many students who are at or above level 3 and in a shorter time. yea i'll buy that you'd realistically have to work 12 hours per day for those kinds of results, and that's definitely possible. but how many level 3 (fusion) students are running around over there? i thought yang didn't even pass that level yet and i know that john retired from teaching. if any of this is wrong, by all means clear the air.

also, none of jims students were putting themselves or jim on a pedestal. what honor was lost so that there was a need to regain it? are words that westerners (who are banned from the school) speak out really that much of a threat for you to lash out so badly? i'm not complaining about your clearance of topics, but it seems a little like you are a pot calling the kettle black in terms of modesty and humble behavior.

Edited by wrags