settler

Ba Duan Jin the source

This guy is made of pure steel and I'm not joking, he hits is body with steel sticks. That is only for, a selected few.

When i saw those movements i was a beginner, and i thought pointless stuff, that were my analysis from the results back at that time. Now that I'm more advanced maybe i will check them again. Just to double check. If a person is writing some opinions, the lest he should do is having a solid background on what is talking about.

The DVD should have more instructions, not only he lack on giving a background nor he pointed to the right direction. Kind of pointless stuff for a beginner.

Edited by settler

The DVD should have more instructions, not only he lack on giving a background nor he pointed to the right direction. Kind of pointless stuff for a beginner.

Yan Lei's dvd's are like that. Short on verbals, but his form is awesome. I practice shaolin Muscle Tendon Change from his dvds. He even demonstrates hitting with a steel brush, but doesn't give any information on what its for. Its part of the bone marrow training in Dr Yang Jwing-Ming's Qigong: Secret of Youth and in that book he gives a good description of what it does and how to train in it.

For those that haven't read it, it stimulates the fascia to "stand up" which allows the practitioner to pack it with qi. So it trains the layer of soft tissue between the muscles and skin to conduct qi (since fascia isnt very conductive it needs a good beating to get the picture!) for use with iron shirt, or golden bell, etc.

• Like 2

Anamatva

I read the book but don't remember it that way. This books have a lot of knowledge and we need to re-read it 2 and 3 times just to get all the details.

50 minutes of training and you just say: "Do this and exhale". Kind of hilarious.

We don't live in the monastery, this is not the army, if you want to make a DVD which teaches a very complex form of Qi developing you should at lest explain the complexity of the training. He are not dummys at the shaolin monastery that follow blindly the master.

Much Qi training, but no heart training, it makes you look a bit retarded. Compassion is a superior form of intelligence. I regard the Christ as as highly intellectual person, a person who care only with the important things in life.

He are not dummys at the shaolin monastery that follow blindly the master.

Neither am I, and I am definitely not into blind following. I prefer my own experiences over dogma.

I just find it an extremely effective form of qigong as I do xingyi neigong.

There are many excellent forms of qigong out there. You should try one or two, daily for months and even years like I have and then come back with your opinion.

• Like 1

I practice a variation of Ba Duan Jin my teacher calls Gu Chuan Ba Duan Jin, translated as Ancient Teaching of the Ba Duan Jin.

It has considerable more complexity than many of the versions I've seen online and in books and video.

I find it extremely valuable - I've felt many benefits.

I do not think it is terribly useful to have complicated neigong explained to you.

The way my teacher has always taught is to demonstrate the basic movements a few times and let you go and practice for a while. Periodically he will come back and offer corrections after a few weeks or months.

Gradually the student feels the instruction from the inside out from the proper execution of the technique and breathing.

The exercise becomes the teacher. The teacher is there simply to make sure the exercise is done properly.

To hear a complicated explanation and process it intellectually and analytically, IMO, is of very little value.

It tends to make us think that we understand more than we actually do.

I just find it an extremely effective form of qigong as I do xingyi neigong.

You should try one or two, daily for months and even years like I have and then come back with your opinion.

xingyi neigong do you have a link for DVD? Can you describe what it is.

If a style doesn't reveal effective in the first weaks you don't need years to just verify that.

How many hours per day do you train?

Steve - The good base theory has its value. How do you know what you are doing? If consider the point of view of evolution why don't you go make Pilates, its the most modern style of exercise.

Edited by settler

Some also suggested that 18 lohan hands are very good complement do the 8 Ba Duan Jin. Any one can give a second opinion on this?

It looks like one can do much better with pure Xing Yi quan. But i didn't try it don't know.