konchog uma

an awesome recipe for winter soup

MountainRoseHerbs.com curried sweet potato soup.pdf

i skipped the second pureeing, and kept it chunky with onions and garlic. I like it better that way.

just made some tonight, doubled the recipe, and it filled a big pot. SOOO good i had to share.

baking the sweet potatoes takes about 45min during which time you can prep the other ingredients and spices, the whole thing start to finish takes about an hour and a half, which is why i doubled the recipe, cause if im gonna spend that long on something i am going to have leftovers all week. I'm all about slow foods, but i'm also all about simple. But enough about me, how about you? Aren't you hungry for some awesome soup?!

got this recipe out of MountainRoseHerbs.com catalogue btw.

• Like 2

Wow, this recipe nails it on so many levels. We eat a lot of sweet potatoes for as lot of reasons; vitamin A, low glycemic index, and perhaps most importantly, our very finicky teenager scarfs them up. We usually mash them along with any vegetables that may be getting close to retirement; apples, carrots, celery, beets, onions, et.

Your recipe is perfect for another reason - with the spices, the anti-oxidant level, or ORAC scale - Oxygen radical absorbance capacity - is through the roof.

Thanks fer posting.

awesome!!

thanks for the info :)

also, you can triple or quadruple the garlic if you want (duh) in a double recipe i used about 15-20 cloves and it didn't even taste "garlicky" it was just really good.

im trying my hand with kabocha squash tonight, stuffed it with ground lamb, toasted pine nuts, mint, garlic, onions, and a little raisins. No recipe for that one, just winging it. Never worked with the kabocha before, its got a really sweet smell. I just cut a whole in the top, scooped out the seeds, and scooped in the stuffing mix. We'll see what happens in an hour :D :D

the anti-oxidant level, or ORAC scale - Oxygen radical absorbance capacity - is through the roof.

Just found out today of the immense health benefits of Hawthorn berries, its special anti-oxidants effective in scavenging free rads that could damage the heart.

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-hawthorn-berry.html

Apparently the super-fruit which gives the highest ORAC readout is the Montmorency Cherry:

http://www.kingorchards.com/health.htm

I do drink quite a bit of the juice extract but its bloody expensive.

edited to relink the page. Error rectified.

Edited by C T

awesome!!

thanks for the info :)

also, you can triple or quadruple the garlic if you want (duh) in a double recipe i used about 15-20 cloves and it didn't even taste "garlicky" it was just really good.

im trying my hand with kabocha squash tonight, stuffed it with ground lamb, toasted pine nuts, mint, garlic, onions, and a little raisins. No recipe for that one, just winging it. Never worked with the kabocha before, its got a really sweet smell. I just cut a whole in the top, scooped out the seeds, and scooped in the stuffing mix. We'll see what happens in an hour :D :D

Sounds Delish!! Yummy! :D

I love to cook with and eat swedes, a kind of turnip (or they call it Rutabaga in the US, and Neeps in Scotland). Highly nutritious and great tasting in soups! I like it mashed with potatoes with a sprinkle of black pepper, a bit of sea-salt and cubes of butter. Sometimes i would add some chives or scallions into the mix just for a bit of excitement! hehe...

Just found out today of the immense health benefits of Hawthorn berries, its special anti-oxidants effective in scavenging free rads that could damage the heart.

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-hawthorn-berry.html

Apparently the super-fruit which gives the highest ORAC readout is the Montmorency Cherry:

http://www.kingorchards.com/health.htm

I do drink quite a bit of the juice extract but its bloody expensive.

edited to relink the page. Error rectified.

I've been on Hawthorn now for 2 months for cardio health; risk factor in my family. Might check out Olive Leaf extract; Songsofdistantearth turned me on to this for blood pressure, but the ORAC is in the mid 6 figures. I'm taking 1,500 mg a day now.

Swanson vitamins

ORAC

Edited by Encephalon

Looks great, I find adding some peanut butter(!) to pumpkin and sweet potato soups puts them over the top and adds some down home Jamaican swing to them.

I just made a batch of Ramen. Noodles from the Japanese supermarket, shitake shrooms, bok choy from my neighbors garden(yes she harvested in Dec! Global warming indeed), bean sprouts, chives. Cheap and delicious.

Sadly my kids who were raised on the 10 for a $1 stuff turned up there noses at the real thing :(.

well that was completely delicious!!

but it had to cook for 2 hours because the meat was still pink. So if you see a winter squash and you wanna stuff it, cook the meat first. Also add some moisture like the juice from sauteing the meat, or some broth, just a spoonful or two per squash, but it would have helped.

thanks everyone for your info and suggestions, i'm really digging eating seasonally and locally.. :)

@thelerner: halarious about your kids taste in ramen.. yours sounds delicious!