Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

Australian standard of living

British consulting firm Mercer has released the results of its annual "Quality of Life" survey, which ranks 420 cities in terms of standard of living. According to the survey, five cities in the top of the list are all located in Australia; Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Melbourne, and Sydney.

So I just have to ask... what the hell are you communists doing down there? :o

British consulting firm Mercer has released the results of its annual "Quality of Life" survey, which ranks 420 cities in terms of standard of living. According to the survey, five cities in the top of the list are all located in Australia; Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Melbourne, and Sydney.

So I just have to ask... what the hell are you communists doing down there? :o

hehe well I am not really a communist, but that aside, I can see no way that Canberra or Sydney should be on that list...

I live in Sydney and I am amazed Sydney could even make the top 20, its obvious the people doing this survey have never lived in Sydney for any period of time..

• Like 1

Hmm ... "five cities in the top of the list" is a bit of a deceptive statement:

Mercer Quality of Living Survey - Worldwide Rankings, 2011

Rank City Country

11 Sydney Australia

18 Melbourne Australia

21 Perth Australia

26 Canberra Australia

30 Adelaide Australia

37 Brisbane Australia

Compared to:

Rank City Country

5 Vancouver Canada

14 Ottawa Canada

15 Toronto Canada

22 Montreal Canada

33 Calgary Canada

Rank City Country

4 Munich Germany

5 Düsseldorf Germany

7 Frankfurt Germany

16 Hamburg Germany

17 Berlin Germany

24 Nurnberg Germany

28 Stuttgart Germany

Rank City Country

2 Zurich Switzerland

8 Geneva Switzerland

9 Bern Switzerland

Rank City Country

29 Honolulu, HI United States

30 San Francisco, CA United States

36 Boston, MA United States

43 Chicago, IL United States

43 Washington, DC United States

47 New York City, NY United States

48 Seattle, WA United States

49 Pittsburgh, PA United States

I stand corrected. I did a cut/paste job off of a Huffington Post story that was skewed, evidently. Still, within the top 30 of 200+ cities ain't too bad.

Ya'll know I was joking about communism, right? :lol:

Edited by Encephalon
  • Like 1

Perth, Hobart and Adelaide should top that list (as in capital cities, there are many other places better than these to live in) because they are way less crowded than the rest, except Canberra (no good energy there) and Darwin (too tropical and extremely humid). Not of my liking. Yin and Yang should be balanced. Perth is too hot, (too Yang even though it is an awesome little city to settle in) hence I would pick Hobart (mild temperate oceanic climate, which is perfect, ideal for kidney yin healing :) ) and Adelaide (warm Mediterranean climate, good yin and yang balance) as first options.

Australia is a great country for energy cultivation and healing but one must watch for the sun and its location in our planet (south-fire) so it makes it very Yang, hence one must live near the ocean especially if born in a fire year (ending in 6 & 7) too avoid generic energetic imbalances. I wish it had New Zealand's mountains, then it would be the perfect country to live in.

:)

Edited by Gerard

I guess I can squeeze in a plug for my home town, San Francisco, CA at #30. It really is something of an outlier on the urban American spectrum. It was the site of the first zoning regulations - some guy tried to run a hog rendering facility in an upscale residential neighborhood before he was booted out. That's the story for the rest of the industrial history of the city. The reason it's so pleasant and eye-catching is because the early residents insisted that all industrial processes be taken up on the other side of the Bay. That's why Oakland and Richmond look like hell, while San Francisco looks like a postcard. I wish I could post the photos of all the denuded forests around Tahoe that were mowed down to construct the city.

Still, SF was THE portal through which most of the early Japanese Buddhist teachers came to spread the word of the Buddha to the West. The Bay Area remains full of intellectual and spiritual vitality - resources of every kind in abundance - and I understand that Master Lam Kam-Chuen just moved from England to Oakland.

Wish I could move back to the Bay Area, but my wife's job here in LA is just too good to give up now.

Edited by Encephalon

Sign in to follow this