Encephalon

"Limitless" the movie, now on Netflix Instantwatch

I don't know about any of ya'll, but I came away from this movie starring Bradley Cooper with a renewed commitment to daily practice. Having noticed modest increases in my own coordination, bodymind union, and mental clarity and general well-being thanks to Taoist practices, I couldn't help but be inpsired by this movie. For some reason, my wife would rather have sex with Bradley Cooper than begin her chi kung training. Whatever.

Anyone else detect any Taoist themes in this flick?

------------------------SPOILER ALERT----------------------------- <--I've always wanted to do that XD

I guess near the end when he realizes he doesn't need the pills anymore to access his brain in those ways. That sheet was crazaay. Oh yeah and when the blind guy in one eye gets stabbed with a needle in the other and tries to still shoot, LMFAO that was some serious determination. I probably wasn't of any help XD but it was a good movie I have to say that.

I wouldn't mind having some NZT for those days when you need to be Oh So Fresh and on your toes. Kinda seemed like cocaine a little bit without the usual downsides.

A few years ago I met Sasha Shulgin, the chemist who explored many different phenyethylamines (see the book 'PIKHAL') and Tryptamines ('TIKHAL'), and was responsible for re-discovering the possibilities of MDMA and, for better or for worse, popularizing it. A conversation I had with him as well as an underground chemist that had once worked closely with him was there were at least several other compounds that enables super-normal abilities, like being able to see in complete darkness and a little known phenyethylamine that made you much 'smarter' and with greatly expanded memory capabilities (I would venture that this compound is what gave rise to the whole idea of 'NZT' and this movie...apparently, it was a rare, hard to get drug that occasionally popped up with use in grad students in Boston and Chicago at one time a few years back).

While my psychedelic days are far behind me, watching this movie really re-awakened the excitement and possibility those classes of compounds held. I used to be very curious about these chemicals, both natural and synthetic. Much of the interesting, esoteric street stuff largely became unavailable on the black market after the government passed the law making drugs with similar structures (analogs) illegal, and when they really began watching the purchase of precursor chemicals and ingredients for most of these compounds. Oh, well. Perhaps some day human beings will be free to experiment freely, until then, the Man is watching. :ninja:

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

That movie was based on the real Nootropics. And for most people they really do work too. Here is a list of the most common compounds;

Piracetam

Oxiracetam

Aniracetam

Pramiracetam

The most common one - Piracetam, has practically no toxicity. Tons of info out there for anyone interested.

• Like 2

That movie was based on the real Nootropics. And for most people they really do work too. Here is a list of the most common compounds;

Piracetam

Oxiracetam

Aniracetam

Pramiracetam

The most common one - Piracetam, has practically no toxicity. Tons of info out there for anyone interested.

Cool. thanks for reminding me, an old man north of 50, about this stuff! :lol:

Piracetam

Oxiracetam

Aniracetam

Pramiracetam

Oh, please. I have used all of them and they aren't all that great. I'll bet the movie was based on more potent nootropics, of which psycheledics have the greatest possibilities. For example, low-dose LSD, on the order of 25 mcg, gives super clarity and energy for performing tasks, and doing them with focus. I think the filmmakers may have drawn some little inspiration from the -racetam family, but they are pretty boring and don't point to anything like the movie.

• Like 1

Oh, please. I have used all of them and they aren't all that great. I'll bet the movie was based on more potent nootropics, of which psycheledics have the greatest possibilities. For example, low-dose LSD, on the order of 25 mcg, gives super clarity and energy for performing tasks, and doing them with focus. I think the filmmakers may have drawn some little inspiration from the -racetam family, but they are pretty boring and don't point to anything like the movie.

OK, I'm sold. Please send ten 25 mcg hits to my original address in time for New Year's. It's been at least ten years since I travelled.

Thanks.

I have 2 friends that have taken the so called "smart drugs" and both were not impressed. One friend told me he got more alertness from a strong cup of coffee. My other friend can take large amounts of hallucinogens so I guess it was even a bigger letdown for him. I think a regular recreational dose of LSD is 200 mcg, is this correct? Where on earth would I find 25mcg? Just don't think it is possible to break that small tab into 8 evenly distributed pieces.

I'm guessing this opinion isn't going to be very popular here but for me that film was a really good representation of the perfect ego dream or the image which the ego strives to make reality, as the ego wants us to be the perfect superhuman who is good looking, incredibly sophisticated and intelligent, very charismatic and popular with the ladies who always says the right thing at the right time and not the loser stuck in a rut like the character is at the beginning and it presents the possibility that it is actually possible to attain this image. So it is no surprise that people love this film as it taps into all the egos desires and gives it hope that they can be fulfilled and happiness can be obtained by such self improvement. If the film strengthens the belief that such perfection is possible and obtainable then I'm not sure it's very helpful spiritually, for me spirituality is about self acceptance and integration not self improvement. That's my 2c anyway.

• Like 1

I'm guessing this opinion isn't going to be very popular here but for me that film was a really good representation of the perfect ego dream or the image which the ego strives to make reality, as the ego wants us to be the perfect superhuman who is good looking, incredibly sophisticated and intelligent, very charismatic and popular with the ladies who always says the right thing at the right time and not the loser stuck in a rut like the character is at the beginning and it presents the possibility that it is actually possible to attain this image. So it is no surprise that people love this film as it taps into all the egos desires and gives it hope that they can be fulfilled and happiness can be obtained by such self improvement. If the film strengthens the belief that such perfection is possible and obtainable then I'm not sure it's very helpful spiritually, for me spirituality is about self acceptance and integration not self improvement. That's my 2c anyway.

Good points.. Myself I simply took it as fantasy. I'm not into artificial neurochemical self-improvement anyway. Probably would never dare/want to try some "super drug" np matter what the promises.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't believe that all people who like the film do so because it strengthens their belief that perfection is possible, and I don't think that was the message of the film. I think the author of the novel and the screenwriter both wanted a morality play, with the DeNiro character as the antagonist.

I'm also not convinced that all action in behalf of the ego is necessarily bad or necessarily divorced from spiritual aspiration. There are plenty of life-affirming goals I acheived for myself as a result of tapping into my ego strength, quitting smoking and drinking being just two of them.

I came out of the theatre feeling gratitude for learning Taoist culitivation techniques, and went straight home to review my goal-setting and affirmation material.

Interesting discussion about the movie limitless.

Curious if any of you have heard of Adderall? It is being used by tens of thousands of college students every month to help them pass exams.

http://www.gwhatchet.com/2004/04/19/students-turn-to-study-drugs-to-improve-grades-concentration/

I am in my late 40's, and I can tell you that practicing different forms of qigong just 10-15 minutes a day has done wonders for me. My concentration and soft focus is better than it has ever been. I believe the practice of qigong can be used to enhance $$$

I believe there is more at play here with qigong than just reduction of stress. The real killers of success in life, procrastination, self sabotage etc are reduced perhaps due to removal of energy blocks which limit our life.