Cameron

Do Ya'll guys drink?

Which may explain why alcohol feels toxic to you, from the neuroendocrine perspective. A weakness for sweets and starches is essentially an addiction to serotonin, sugar being the most popular metabolic shortcut. Alcohol, on the other hand, is a shortcut to adrenaline (and also, to an extent, norepinephrine, dopamine, and a bunch of other neurotransmitters), but not serotonin. A serotonin addiction is a symptom of depleted ability to produce it internally (all addictions are unconscious attempts at self-medication). Against this backdrop, one may deplete his or her serotonin stores still further by drinking alcohol, since the metabolic mechanisms for releasing various neurotransmitters partially overlap and compete. Feeling low on serotonin, in some people, produces that same subjectively "toxic" state via just skipping a couple of meals. Would you say you are also in this category? Curious.

As in, if I don't eat, do I get low? Yes, extremely. And aggressive...in a very flappy, lash-out/mindless sort of way.

Basically, I feel like a machine that constantly needs refueling with sugar. Although I eat plenty of meat and veg, I also need cereal in the morning on top of, say, eggs and toast. 2 hours later I will need a banana and then I will have a healthy lunch and dinner. BUT then my body itches for biscuits. Ideally chocolate. It's the only way I can stop myself going crazy haha.

I am quite active though so I guess it's all supplementing my use of energy.

Interesting fact about the alcohol vs sugar though. I am surprised because alcohol still contains a lot of sugar. Do you mean that the alcohol itself over powers it when it is going into the body?

Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

I used to drink a lot when I joined my fraternity.....but it was more of a social thing....I would get drunk at parties but when at home I never had a drop, nor did I have the desire to drink.

I rarely drink anymore simply because I don't party or go out to bars that much. But mainly I don't drink because I like practicing Chi Kung more.....and it's not good to practice while intoxicated....I lose hours that I could've spent training, which I love a lot more than a friendly broosky. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 4

As in, if I don't eat, do I get low? Yes, extremely. And aggressive...in a very flappy, lash-out/mindless sort of way.

Basically, I feel like a machine that constantly needs refueling with sugar. Although I eat plenty of meat and veg, I also need cereal in the morning on top of, say, eggs and toast. 2 hours later I will need a banana and then I will have a healthy lunch and dinner. BUT then my body itches for biscuits. Ideally chocolate. It's the only way I can stop myself going crazy haha.

I am quite active though so I guess it's all supplementing my use of energy.

Interesting fact about the alcohol vs sugar though. I am surprised because alcohol still contains a lot of sugar. Do you mean that the alcohol itself over powers it when it is going into the body?

It depends on the type of beverage and goes both ways -- alcohol itself is partially converted to sugar in the body, but sugar is also partially converted into alcohol (aldehyde) in the body, which is why alcohol with extra sugar makes one more drunk than the same amount of alcohol without. How people metabolize either is pretty individual, it depends on what diet they consume regularly and what meal (or no meal) was consumed prior, during, or after drinking; which neurotransmitters are low or high at the baseline; levels of circulating MAO which degrades them upon release, also liver enzymes and functions (there is, e.g., a master enzyme for addressing alcohol in the body which is either low or absent in one-third of the Asian populations, which is why many people of Asian descent either can't drink at all or might become alcoholics with lightning speed upon exposure), and so on.

In your case, serotonin seems to be your primary stress mediator and painkiller (which is what monoamines are all of them). If you wanted to drink alcohol, you would probably have no ill effects you describe if you were to drink it the traditional way, i.e. with a fatty meal rather than over a light snack or a carb or, worse, just by itself. But if you don't want to drink, no reason to, of course.

And if you wanted to rearrange your metabolism toward less dependency on sugar, I'd look into the paleo diet which, in the shape and form I experimented with ("Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas) eliminates all cravings for carbs within 48 hours -- and permanently for as long as you keep to the protocol. It's not an easy eating habit to maintain though because the whole industrial society is geared toward activating and maintaining the glycogen-burning secondary, emergency system instead of the ketones-burning primary system of human metabolism. If you tried drinking on a paleo diet (which it discourages, actually, but mostly due to the author's heavy aversion to the idea of consumed sugar in any shape or form -- which IMO ignores other properties of alcohol worth considering, notably its protective effect on telomeres, the "immortality machine" of life) -- as I was saying, if you were on a different diet and tried to drink with that, you'd be surprised how differently your body might react.

• Like 1

It depends on the type of beverage and goes both ways -- alcohol itself is partially converted to sugar in the body, but sugar is also partially converted into alcohol (aldehyde) in the body, which is why alcohol with extra sugar makes one more drunk than the same amount of alcohol without. How people metabolize either is pretty individual, it depends on what diet they consume regularly and what meal (or no meal) was consumed prior, during, or after drinking; which neurotransmitters are low or high at the baseline; levels of circulating MAO which degrades them upon release, also liver enzymes and functions (there is, e.g., a master enzyme for addressing alcohol in the body which is either low or absent in one-third of the Asian populations, which is why many people of Asian descent either can't drink at all or might become alcoholics with lightning speed upon exposure), and so on.

In your case, serotonin seems to be your primary stress mediator and painkiller (which is what monoamines are all of them). If you wanted to drink alcohol, you would probably have no ill effects you describe if you were to drink it the traditional way, i.e. with a fatty meal rather than over a light snack or a carb or, worse, just by itself. But if you don't want to drink, no reason to, of course.

And if you wanted to rearrange your metabolism toward less dependency on sugar, I'd look into the paleo diet which, in the shape and form I experimented with ("Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas) eliminates all cravings for carbs within 48 hours -- and permanently for as long as you keep to the protocol. It's not an easy eating habit to maintain though because the whole industrial society is geared toward activating and maintaining the glycogen-burning secondary, emergency system instead of the ketones-burning primary system of human metabolism. If you tried drinking on a paleo diet (which it discourages, actually, but mostly due to the author's heavy aversion to the idea of consumed sugar in any shape or form -- which IMO ignores other properties of alcohol worth considering, notably its protective effect on telomeres, the "immortality machine" of life) -- as I was saying, if you were on a different diet and tried to drink with that, you'd be surprised how differently your body might react.

Wow, thanks again Taomeow! Very insightful.

Yep, usually the one that gets me is the random offer of one or two beers mid afternoon. If I am to drink beer, I prefer it (like you said) with a good chicken, rice and veg meal. Then I can't handle more than one anyway as I'm too full :) I then recover much quicker.

I prefer red wine, but again, this would be with dinner and just after for glass two.

When you refer to "Asian", are you talking far east or does this include India etc too? I have Indian and Burmese blood so I wonder if that is a factor too!

As for Paleo, yes, in an ideal world haha. I travel about so much and often have to grab something out. This is what got me durimg my vegetarian stint. I practically had a diet of 30% veg/fruit/pulses to 70% bread, pasta, rice and pastry. Real limiting.

• Like 1

Bourbon.. on the rocks with a large splash of water.  Wild Turkey 101, William Evans single cask..

Beer.. just found Goose Islands SPF, nicely drinkable w/ hint of berry. 

Tea..  Genmai (green w/ toasted rice)

Kombucha.. Gingeraid, most often watered down 50% w/ seltzer.

A young, liberal Muslim asked me out on a date on the 1st of November and we shared a bottle of red wine over dinner. She wanted some insight into Buddhism, and I reluctantly obliged, it being a Sunday and all... Sabbath day, right?

My last sip of Japanese whisky was back in January, during the Chinese lunar new year. On the 25th. It was late afternoon, in fact. 

Its good at times to be able to recall blissfully insignificant details like these with ease. 

• Like 3

My preferred drink is whiskey, my favorites being Laphroaig (scotch), Redbreast or Green Spot (Irish), Sazerac (rye), or Eagle Rare (bourbon). I also like absinthe though I haven't had enough varieties to say which one is better. Currently I have a bottle of Vieux Carre which is an absinthe distilled in Philadelphia, which I like very much.

I like wine but could hardly be called a connoisseur. Recently I had a really delicious Georgian red wine, made from the saperavi grape, but I can't remember the name of the maker.

Edited by SirPalomides
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

Edited by C T
d.p.

2 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

My preferred drink is whiskey, my favorites being Laphroaig (scotch), Redbreast or Green Spot (Irish), Sazerac (rye), or Eagle Rare (bourbon). I also like absinthe though I haven't had enough varieties to say which one is better. Currently I have a bottle of Vieux Carre which is an absinthe distilled in Philadelphia, which I like very much.

If you haven't yet, I'd like to suggest a try of the Yamazaki 12. 

The 18 costs about USD$1500 to $1800 per bottle now, if found. Technically, its no longer available in the US open market.  

The 12 is a fraction that, at about $400. 

As for the 25, I have no idea what to say about it other than its out of my reach, retailing at something like 33k Malaysian $. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

Thanks, I've heard good things about Yamazaki. I've seen the 12 selling for about $100 though that was a while ago.

They were, but the value of Japanese whiskies have been inflating like mad the last 2 years or so, I think mainly due to the mushrooming of the Chinese whisky market. Its a recent thing. They used to scoff at whisky, preferring to stay faithful to their XO brandy and cognac. Not anymore, which is rather tragic for us poor whiskey snobs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C T said:

A young, liberal Muslim asked me out on a date on the 1st of November and we shared a bottle of red wine over dinner.

I'm kind of curious about this- is this unusual where you are? In some Islamic cultures the restriction against alcohol has traditionally been relaxed or liberally interpreted. I remember reading about Arab traders scandalized when they witnessed Turkic Muslims drinking kumis and other alcoholic beverages- the version of Hanafi jurisprudence that prevailed in central Asia interpreted the prohibition as applying only to wine. In Turkey of course they love their raki which even if it isn't wine, is made from grapes. A Uyghur girl I knew had no problem downing beers with us at bars (though she wouldn't touch pork) and apparently this is not uncommon.

I'm partial to Hatozaki Whisky.  It's like liquid light. 

I only drink whisky at home and when I'm seeking to foster a loosened yet inquiring mindset.

It brings out the contemplative, cuddly ferret in me.

I enjoy a nice Amber Ale with the sun streaming through it... while chatting with friends when possible.

Kim Crawford and Whitehaven, two Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand have been killing it these last few seasons... again with loved ones close and lots of topics of conversation flowing.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

I'm kind of curious about this- is this unusual where you are? In some Islamic cultures the restriction against alcohol has traditionally been relaxed or liberally interpreted. I remember reading about Arab traders scandalized when they witnessed Turkic Muslims drinking kumis and other alcoholic beverages- the version of Hanafi jurisprudence that prevailed in central Asia interpreted the prohibition as applying only to wine. In Turkey of course they love their raki which even if it isn't wine, is made from grapes. A Uyghur girl I knew had no problem downing beers with us at bars (though she wouldn't touch pork) and apparently this is not uncommon.

Malaysia has its own Islamic police who actively seek to enforce the syariah laws - alcohol consumption is illegal (haram), but child marriage is not. They're a confused bunch. In the capital city of Kuala Lumpur, its common to see young Muslims patronising bars and clubs even though they know the risks involved. They don't care. Most of the women who frequent the nightspots are 'connected' or 'kept' by wealthy, older Muslim professionals or politicians who in turn can make charge sheets disappear like magic.

Many of them (the Muslim big hitters) are made shareholders of licensed (to sell alcohol) entertainment outlets, although technically thats haram as well, so proxies are often used. Clubs with Muslim shareholders tend to not get raided - obviously, corruption is rife. Most of these places have well guarded VIP rooms, and thats where the younger set aim to get picked to get into these select and very private areas of the clubs where once in, they not only partake freely of champagne,  wild parties, orgiastic liaisons.... but they get paid, a lot, for their 'company'. According to my date who's well clued in on whats happening in the capital city, nobody bats an eyelid seeing young ladies being offered a few thousand bucks each for 'extras'. And its not just the women who get to enjoy these highly lucrative proposals. 

The level of hypocrisy here is astounding among the wealthy and the politicians who depend on them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, C T said:

Malaysia has its own Islamic police who actively seek to enforce the syariah laws - alcohol consumption is illegal (haram), but child marriage is not. They're a confused bunch. In the capital city of Kuala Lumpur, its common to see young Muslims patronising bars and clubs even though they know the risks involved. They don't care. Most of the women who frequent the nightspots are 'connected' or 'kept' by wealthy, older Muslim professionals or politicians who in turn can make charge sheets disappear like magic.

Many of them (the Muslim big hitters) are made shareholders of licensed (to sell alcohol) entertainment outlets, although technically thats haram as well, so proxies are often used. Clubs with Muslim shareholders tend to not get raided - obviously, corruption is rife. Most of these places have well guarded VIP rooms, and thats where the younger set aim to get picked to get into these select and very private areas of the clubs where once in, they not only partake freely of champagne,  wild parties, orgiastic liaisons.... but they get paid, a lot, for their 'company'. According to my date who's well clued in on whats happening in the capital city, nobody bats an eyelid seeing young ladies being offered a few thousand bucks each for 'extras'. And its not just the women who get to enjoy these highly lucrative proposals. 

The level of hypocrisy here is astounding among the wealthy and the politicians who depend on them. 

Thanks. I have family in Malaysia but they live in the sticks in Sabah, very far from KL craziness.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

Thanks. I have family in Malaysia but they live in the sticks in Sabah, very far from KL craziness.

If not for this joke of a pandemic, I'd probably be diving off the islands of Sabah now... 

(and the majority of Muslims in Sabah have little regard for syariah laws, I was told) 

Sipadan – Travel guide at Wikivoyage

• Like 1

My uncle says Muslims on Borneo are chill and tolerant, and on the mainland they're fanatics. No doubt that's a big oversimplification but generally there seem to be fewer sectarian squabbles on the island.

1 minute ago, C T said:

If not for this joke of a pandemic, I'd probably be diving off the islands of Sabah now... 

(and the majority of Muslims in Sabah have little regard for syariah laws, I was told) 

Sipadan – Travel guide at Wikivoyage

I am sorry for your inconvenience due to this "joke of a pandemic".

Have you considered chartering a private jet?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, natural said:

I am sorry for your inconvenience due to this "joke of a pandemic".

Have you considered chartering a private jet?

I was actually thinking more along the lines of rowing there in a sampan. 

Its way more fun. And ecologically sound. You should try it some time. 

• Like 1