Cameron

Do Ya'll guys drink?

Just remembered....the other week I did a reverse orbit practice, and it enabled me to slam 3 pints, no problem. No drunkenness, no overheating, no rising energy, etc. I was just healthy and happy.

Hmmm...maybe I shouldn't have said that (being a bad example)...but it's true.

Thanks for responding Taomeow.

My grandmother died with blood in her alcohol stream, which is why I voiced my concern. If you drench pretty much any bacterial or fungal contaminate in alcohol it will die. I think it would be more beneficial to utilize and strengthen the immunoregulatory system that is natural, rather than relying on killing them with chemicals and damaging your liver at the same time.

When the alcohol level subsides you will have possibly done damage that will make you more prone to infections later.

Microbes can't grow in alcohol, that is true, but neither can your liver repair itself when it is constantly filtering alcohol from the blood stream.

"The liver is necessary for survival; there is currently no way to compensate for the absence of liver function long term, although liver dialysis can be used short term."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver

Not being sick because your blood is full of alcohol is a side-effect of killing your liver, which is killing yourself.

Edited by Informer

When I started practicing Daoist meditation, I was drinking pretty regularly - wine most nights with dinner.

Occasionally a few mixed drinks or a few beers instead. Not heavy but regular.

After a few months of meditation I stopped completely.

Meditation made me much more sensitive to the effects of any sort of intoxicants and I could feel the detrimental effects on developing skill in the methods. At the same time I become so sensitive to life that I quit eating meat and any sort of activity that caused harm to anything (I was really into fly fishing at the time and haven't gone near it since)...

After a few years I began eating meat and drinking again but mostly a glass or two of wine on occasion - much less than before.

I've also developed a bit of a thing for a caipirinha once in a while...

:D

When I started practicing Daoist meditation, I was drinking pretty regularly - wine most nights with dinner.

Meditation made me much more sensitive to the effects of any sort of intoxicants and I could feel the detrimental effects on developing skill in the methods. At the same time I become so sensitive to life that I quit eating meat and any sort of activity that caused harm to anything (I was really into fly fishing at the time and haven't gone near it since)...

After a few years I began eating meat and drinking again but mostly a glass or two of wine on occasion - much less than before.

Yeah, that's another thing -- not only different strokes for different folks, but for the same folks at different times in their lives...

I did my (or anyone's) most heavy drinking between the ages of 16 and 19. There were no drugs in Russia for the general consumer when I grew up (it has changed now...), so experimenting teens experimented with alcohol. If I told you how much I could drink at a party during this time, you wouldn't believe me. Then I hooked up with a boyfriend who was a karate champ, and he started giving me an exceptionally hard time about drinking and smoking. It slowed me down quite a bit, but I didn't like the way this desire to control "for healthy purposes" extended into other areas -- he wanted to control everything about me... so, OK, I don't drink anymore and he wants me to use no makeup, fine, no makeup, but then he wants me to wear skirts and not wear pants, fine, no pants, but then... then I dumped him, celebrated by getting trashed, and that was the end of it. I didn't have a "relationship" with alcohol ever since. I had and still do an "avoidance relationship" with control freaks though. They are detrimental to my health more than anything else, in my experience.

I did do a few years of complete abstinence when I was going though a deep-impact body-inclusive feeling healing modalities. I became overly open (on all levels, no defenses, no armor, no gates -- everything just blown wide open to everything, yikes...) and supersensitive, and during that period sniffing a cork put me in a coma, pretty much. When, a few years down the road, I restored my new and improved defense mechanisms, this oversensitivity went away and absolute tolerance took its place. Currently I mostly drink when I remember that it's good for me, which I tend to forget. I experience no effects from a glass or two, and a mild buzz when, at some celebration or other, I happen to drink a few more. This is rare, and a non-issue. I'm pretty happy with my current deal with this particular substance, it's very easygoing, no demands on either party's part. :)

• Like 3

I became overly open (on all levels, no defenses, no armor, no gates -- everything just blown wide open to everything, yikes...) and supersensitive, and during that period sniffing a cork put me in a coma, pretty much. When, a few years down the road, I restored my new and improved defense mechanisms, this oversensitivity went away and absolute tolerance took its place.

Sorry if this is too off topic, but do you mind talking a bit more about this?

I'm still dealing with issues that (I think) have to deal with getting too open, and not knowing how to reinstall the natural defense mechanisms which I seemed to have disabled, and it'd be interesting to hear a bit about this. I hear a lot about "all is one" and "be unified with the universe", which is great in theory, up until the point that you actually start feeling that :lol:

At some point I spoke with a Chinese acupuncturist at a post-seminar lunch, who is also an indoor student (yup, there is such a thing, much as the outdoor students hate it :lol: ) of someone who has no public presence, whom she described as a high level taoist master. She is a tiny little woman and seems very fragile until you talk to her. So, we had a fairly in-depth discussion, and reluctantly at first, and then eagerly, she told me about her training under her master. She said he aims to demolish every pre-conception she ever had, and so he took her on a trip to Hong Kong to meet with and spend time among other masters of his level, his friends. She told me of many absolutely miraculous things they do for fun, and one of the things she saw them do, on a number of occasions, was challenge each other to consume and then transform cisterns of hard liquor and remain sober, smoking fat cigars while at it and poking fun at each other, and then play martial games in earnest, with much laughter and mirth. She said the master made her learn to drink and smoke (which she never did prior to her training) while at the same time working on neigong techniques of transforming these substances into extra pure qi. "How else are you going to live in a toxic world if you don't have the skill?"

Buuuuump.

Ive heard of this kind of thing.... hopeing to hang with such a circle.

John

Edited by JohnC

Sorry if this is too off topic, but do you mind talking a bit more about this?

I'm still dealing with issues that (I think) have to deal with getting too open, and not knowing how to reinstall the natural defense mechanisms which I seemed to have disabled, and it'd be interesting to hear a bit about this. I hear a lot about "all is one" and "be unified with the universe", which is great in theory, up until the point that you actually start feeling that :lol:

Wow, me too. I remember when I was in my heavy Zen phase in my early 20's(whatever that means)and working as a waiter in Atlanta. At one point one of coworkers-a pretty yang and in your face female-straight up yelled at me "Cameron! I am not you and you are not me!"

What I love about the Taoist perspective is it really, really seems to honor both. You can simuteneously experience that I am you and you are me. While also keeping your own integity, individuality etc and refining that to something better.

In any case, I feel you. I remember seeing Adyashanti live and he spoke about it. Good stuff.

Edited by Cameron

I drink Chinese tea on a daily basis, does this qualify as drinking because some of the stuff I drink makes me tea drunk? Hehehe.

50517985.jpg

She told me of many absolutely miraculous things they do for fun, and one of the things she saw them do, on a number of occasions, was challenge each other to consume and then transform cisterns of hard liquor and remain sober, smoking fat cigars while at it and poking fun at each other, and then play martial games in earnest, with much laughter and mirth. She said the master made her learn to drink and smoke (which she never did prior to her training) while at the same time working on neigong techniques of transforming these substances into extra pure qi. "How else are you going to live in a toxic world if you don't have the skill?"

that is awesome!!

I don't like the feeling of alcohol, the price of alcohol, the environments where alcohol is consumed, etc, so i don't drink at all. I used to drink a beer or two per night but then i just quit, and my energy improved. I believe it can be good for health, but even a beer a day was leading to patterns of thought and energy that i find myself better off without.

The thing that gets me about plant eaters is the question that asks: What makes the plant less alive than an animal? Do plants only figuratively die? :P

Edited by Informer

For a number of years, I shared an office with a falun dafa cultivator. They are very much against drinking. Their objection is two fold. One, it can be addictive, an attachment, and all attachments are bad. Second, something about alcholol nullifies their spiritual progress.

Islam/muslims for one, also strickly ban drinking.

I am somewhat surprized by the answeres in this thread, but I am with you :) . I have a drink or two everyday and a cigar. I really do enjoy smoking, much to the dismay of my wife and daughters...

This is from falun dafa lecture 7:

The Buddha School does not allow their cultivators to drink alcohol. Have you ever seen a Buddha carrying a wine container? No. Does a practitioner have cultivation energy in his body? He has different forms of cultivation energy in him. Some supernormal capabilities appear on the surface of his body and they are all pure. As soon as he drinks alcohol, all of them will instantly leave his body because they fear that odour. It will be annoying if you have formed this habit as drinking does harm to your nature. Why do some Great Law cultivation ways encourage drinking? Because they do not cultivate their Chief Spirit () and drinking serves to make the Chief Spirit lose consciousness.

For a number of years, I shared an office with a falun dafa cultivator. They are very much against drinking. Their objection is two fold. One, it can be addictive, an attachment, and all attachments are bad. Second, something about alcholol nullifies their spiritual progress.

Islam/muslims for one, also strickly ban drinking.

The Buddha School does not allow their cultivators to drink alcohol.

Lucky for me, Jesus drank wine! I'm sure he'd drink guinness too, considering how good it is. :)

• Like 1

At some point I spoke with a Chinese acupuncturist at a post-seminar lunch, who is also an indoor student (yup, there is such a thing, much as the outdoor students hate it :lol: ) of someone who has no public presence, whom she described as a high level taoist master. She is a tiny little woman and seems very fragile until you talk to her. So, we had a fairly in-depth discussion, and reluctantly at first, and then eagerly, she told me about her training under her master. She said he aims to demolish every pre-conception she ever had, and so he took her on a trip to Hong Kong to meet with and spend time among other masters of his level, his friends. She told me of many absolutely miraculous things they do for fun, and one of the things she saw them do, on a number of occasions, was challenge each other to consume and then transform cisterns of hard liquor and remain sober, smoking fat cigars while at it and poking fun at each other, and then play martial games in earnest, with much laughter and mirth. She said the master made her learn to drink and smoke (which she never did prior to her training) while at the same time working on neigong techniques of transforming these substances into extra pure qi. "How else are you going to live in a toxic world if you don't have the skill?"

Ah yeah, I've heard of this before. Another thing is, if a Sifu offers a drink to you, you're not supposed to refuse.

The thing about this is, he doesn't stop offering you drinks. Your training is supposed to make you less susceptible to becoming drunk/intoxicated. In this way he's testing you, or testing your tolerance, and your discipline, how far he can make you go even though you're uncomfortable.

I've heard of people drinking enough to make a normal person unable to talk and end up in peoples bathrooms all night. Instead, they were completely sober. Maybe even more then me, and I barely ever drink :lol:

IIRC Dr Morris use to enjoy a cigar and a tasty beverage :)

What is annoying thought is once you do feel nice and tipsy, but your breathing changes, that "feeling" drops down and out and you feel pretty normal again... frustrating :lol:

IIRC Dr Morris use to enjoy a cigar and a tasty beverage :)

What is annoying thought is once you do feel nice and tipsy, but your breathing changes, that "feeling" drops down and out and you feel pretty normal again... frustrating :lol:

If you want to get tipsy and stay tipsy on an ongoing basis, you can't really accomplish this with drinking. Instead, you would need to become a vegetarian, avoid all fats and especially animal fats, and emphasize carbs (the majority of vegetarians are really starcharians). This diet gradually thins out the myelin sheath on your neural dendrites which normally provides isolation on your "wiring." Stripped of isolation, all activities of your neural nets seep through into all the neighboring ones, interfering with each other all the time (your brain becomes much like a radio that is tuned into multiple stations all at once), making the "buzz" an existential constant.

• Like 3

tinctures seem to be highly effective.

they have some new non -alcohol (so called) "tinctures" out now, that i havnt tried.

a non alcoholic kombucha probably wouldnt work so well?

alcohol is medicine. ancient medicine. can it be over done? of course.

a shot or 2 of herbs in alcohol base each day. nothing wrong with it at all.

Kombucha!!!!

Like a party in my guts. LOVE it :-) :-). Better than beer (and more expensive. Haven't learned to make own yet, too fiddly and I'm not convinced I'd get the flavours I want.)

• Like 1

Kombucha!!!!

Like a party in my guts. LOVE it :-) :-). Better than beer (and more expensive. Haven't learned to make own yet, too fiddly and I'm not convinced I'd get the flavours I want.)

i will PM you Ms. -K- on how to make your own. give me a day or 2.cool.gif

i will PM you Ms. -K- on how to make your own. give me a day or 2.cool.gif

I've had a dormant kombucha in my fridge for a few years. Used to make the brew -- very yummy -- I've a booklet from a health expo where I also had a chance to talk to the kombucha pros, and also remember recipes from the old country (my mom used to make it not with tea but with birch sap!) But then the last batch contracted mold and I was afraid to use it ever since, even though I discarded the "mother" and the "baby" seemed to be mold free. (Moldy kombucha is very dangerous.) It all happened when I lived so close to the ocean that avoiding mold was an uphill battle, it would take residence on the screens on my windows from the outside and hey presto, next thing that happens is, it's in my kombucha. But I moved a mile higher since then and the new place doesn't seem to have the problem (knock on wood), so I might give it another try. Zerostao, do you have a perfectly healthy "baby" you could spare or sell?

• Like 1

the culture is easily grown from an unflavored raw organic kombucha drink. i have heard it called a "russian mushroom!" if i am not mistaken but it is not a mushroom at all.

basically you just add some black tea or green tea , or both and some sugar.

http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/kombucha.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5028687_make-homemade-kombucha.html

post-52446-132287954316_thumb.jpg

i learned of this while watching a show on the VERIA channel. i am sure on their website the directions are archived. i have notes somewheres lol

• Like 3

Gerard, re: tea -- I really enjoy sharing a cup of tea with friends. I don't know about being drunk with tea, but some days I drink more tea than others. Yum. :)

Yes, tea brings us closer to the 'Spirit.' :)

Here's a nice doc to watch:

Meanwhile, let us have a sip of tea. The afternoon glow is brightening the bamboos,

the fountains are bubbling with delight, the soughing of the pines is heard in our kettle.

Let us dream of evanescence, and linger in the beautiful foolishness of things. The Book of Tea (Okakura Kakuzō)

• Like 1

the culture is easily grown from an unflavored raw organic kombucha drink. i have heard it called a "russian mushroom!" if i am not mistaken but it is not a mushroom at all.

basically you just add some black tea or green tea , or both and some sugar.

http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/kombucha.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5028687_make-homemade-kombucha.html

post-52446-132287954316_thumb.jpg

i learned of this while watching a show on the VERIA channel. i am sure on their website the directions are archived. i have notes somewheres lol

Thanks ZT!

Given I ought to avoid dairy, getting a hold of happy pro-biotics seems easier with this kind of thing. It'll likely take me a while to get all the gear and actually do, but will let you know!

What I don't like about wine these days are the additives. I tried organic wine but some of them lacked the tannins I like. Anyway, I am also interested in TaoMeow's story about total healing and then tolerance and then transformation of toxins. I want to know how to do it. I also want to know just how toxic a load I'm already carrying and how it got into my orbits in the first place.

Me too! Let's hear the secret Taomeow! lol

I think long term my approach will be just enjoying a couple glasses of wine or good beer with friends like once a week.

Obviously tea is great but this isn't the tea thread its the booze thread!

• Like 1