humbleone

Downward Flow of Energy

Hello, what can be done to increase the downward flow of energy?

I benefit greatly from meditation, but the side effect, even meditation that lasts 5-10 minutes leads to a rise in anger. I am told I am a fire symbol. Also my job is all about thinking, so i spend the day in my head.

Unfortunatly living in a densely populated city, there are not many opportunities to reconnect with nature or to work with my hands(gardening etc. I am good at manipulating energy, I have tried 'pushing' it down, but not much help.

So I am looking for water based techniques, ways to cool the fire?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Look at Bruce Frantzis Water Method, it sounds exactly like something which may help as it's all about moving the energy down and letting it go, I read one account of how this method was transformative for a fiery person so it could be helpful.

Look at Bruce Frantzis Water Method, it sounds exactly like something which may help as it's all about moving the energy down and letting it go

very interesting, this opens up a whole new world to me. As a firey person, I have been craving water for a long time!

I appreciate your reply. all the best.

Chinese Taoist Meditation: The Water Meditations of Lao Tzu

As water wears away rock, so the Water-Meditations of Lao Tzu wear away obstacles to our spiritual growth, leading us gently inward to the core of our being. This unique meditation tradition from the Tao Te Ching uses the energies of body, heart and mind, to resolve difficulties and attain a clear and relaxed spirituality.

very interesting, this opens up a whole new world to me. As a firey person, I have been craving water for a long time!

I appreciate your reply. all the best.

Chinese Taoist Meditation: The Water Meditations of Lao Tzu

As water wears away rock, so the Water-Meditations of Lao Tzu wear away obstacles to our spiritual growth, leading us gently inward to the core of our being. This unique meditation tradition from the Tao Te Ching uses the energies of body, heart and mind, to resolve difficulties and attain a clear and relaxed spirituality.

I think there are a few regulars on this board who have practised it long term who may be able to give more information about it but the books and cd set on the Water Method are really good, the first book people tend to recommend is "Opening the Energy Gates of your body" but I prefer the books "Relaxing into your Being" and "Tao of Letting Go" for more detail on the sitting meditation rather than standing methods. There are quite a few instructors around too. I practised it for some months but came to conclusion that it is better suited to fiery people as I am more of a water person already.

Edited by Jetsun

I suggest "Opening the Energy Gates of the Body" if you only really want to get a single book. The longevity breathing as well as the full dissolving method is taught in the book. And keep in mind- you don't HAVE to stand, you can also sit and lie down (you can also practice during walking and during sexual activity, as those are the five modes that Taoist practices can be done in Frantzis' tradition, but those are a bit more advanced).

It's taught in standing since that's a good starting point to check for alignments, keep you aware, and prevent you from falling asleep, as well as to prevent you from getting distracted/activating ingrained tension habits that you may activate in other modes (like moving and during sex).

"Relaxing Into Your Being" and "The Great Stillness" give you a larger philosophical background of Frantzis' water tradition. The first book presents a basic breathing exercise, a basic standing exercise (but recommends you consult "Opening the Energy Gates of the Body" for the full exercise), and a basic moving exercise. The second book presents a circle walking moving exercise, a basic sitting exercise, a basic lying down exercise, and a basic introduction to the energetics of sex. The last part describes (but doesn't teach) the process of alchemy.

Overall, I'd say all three books give you an excellent core foundation of practice and philosophy from the water method. If you're interested in something different, check them out. If you only want to get one, go with "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body". There is still some good background philosophy wise, but the practice given is the full one.

Thank you jetsun and sloppy zhang for your replies.

My office work aside :) , I spent quite a bit of time this morning looking at Taoist Water based methods. Bruce Frantzis website is actually quite good and well organized.

So, I placed an order via Amazon for Relaxing into your being and Opening the energy gates. Based on your recommendation will start with Opening the energy gates.

sadly my meditation issue is 20 years in the making. To remedy, I have attended weekend residential programs at various zen monastaries. sought out Indian gurus, muslim sufi's, studied NLP, Hypnosis, EMDR, many new age remedies.

the journey continues....

Water path is all about relaxation, and being effortless. Kind of confusing when you have water methods, since that implies some sort of effort. I don't personally know about the products that have been suggested, but their titles sound awesome.

I think water path also has to do with various trigrams related to alchemy. There is the blending of water and fire (which is more complex than we know). There's the 'three flowers meeting at the top', but also the descent of the flower which is related to water. It has to do with "amrita" or the nectar of immortality, and life giving water. And it has to do with the spine, since energy or cerebral spinal fluid traveling through it to the brain is called "water path". Reverse microcosmic orbit can also be said to be called water path, since it cools the fire of the body and is calming.

Cultivating the three dantiens through a legitimate method is the best option, in addition to finding ways to relax (like craniosacral therapy, breathing, etc).

• Like 1

Thank you jetsun and sloppy zhang for your replies.

My office work aside :) , I spent quite a bit of time this morning looking at Taoist Water based methods. Bruce Frantzis website is actually quite good and well organized.

So, I placed an order via Amazon for Relaxing into your being and Opening the energy gates. Based on your recommendation will start with Opening the energy gates.

sadly my meditation issue is 20 years in the making. To remedy, I have attended weekend residential programs at various zen monastaries. sought out Indian gurus, muslim sufi's, studied NLP, Hypnosis, EMDR, many new age remedies.

the journey continues....

Pay particular attention (and you'll see what I'm talking about when you get the books) to the neck area. Frantzis makes a big deal about not closing down the base of the skull where it meets the neck, and not closing down the neck.

Basically what happens in most people, due to the way they tense their neck and shoulders, as well as the way their posture is (hunched over at a computer, neck facing forward) really clamps down that whole area. As a result, blood goes to the head but is unable to come back down. So you wind up getting a lot of tension in the head, headaches, combine that with eye strain, etc etc etc.

That's why in some of his texts he says, if you can't get the alignment just right, and if you have to tilt your head forward or back, it's better to have it slightly forward than slightly back, because tilting back will clamp down that area, and tilting forward will at least open it up partially.

Of course, ideally, you aren't tilting your head too much at all. And if you are, it can be fixed after regular practice of releasing body tensions that put you into that position, as well as getting more aware of where your body is in space. But the world is rarely ideal.

Not to mention the entire practice itself is a great way to "get out of your head", as he writes in the books.

• Like 1

From another tradition, there is the 'secret chakra' which can be meditated upon, 4 finger widths below the navel. You imagine and feel a blue and cool watery ear squirter thingamajiger near the front of the body on the inside.

3745080L.jpg

Like that but with the point facing downwards. Whenever there is a point, it tends to gather and shoot energy in that direction. That's also why an upright triangle is the symbol for fire...so you want to reverse it.

You can assist the visualization by feeling as if it's shooting energy down the legs. And feeling as if it's made out of cool water helps create that as a reality for your energy within the body.

Visualization is related more to fire and the upper dantien (since that is where you 'see' things). Feeling is related more to water, and can help draw that higher energy downward to the area that you're feeling. So feel the visualization.

Listening is also related more to water...if you listen to the inner sounds in a quiet room, that's a very effective method coming from the yogic teachings in India...but it's also found in Taoism.

Also, squeezing the huiyin (anal sphincter) during breathing is related to water...this is also a method from "Awakening the Sacred Body" as is linked above. If you do it on the exhale, that's an introductory method to embryonic breathing.

Real 'embryonic breathing' is the same thing as 'kevala kumbhaka' in the yogic traditions. A state of being where the mind is totally pacified, and the external breath (of the lungs) ceases completely without effort, while the inner breath courses through the whole body. That state is also greatly related to "water path".

So those are some more things that can help.

Also, a practice I like is when it rains out, sitting beneath a roof and watching/listening to it. Very simple, but in doing that you're connecting to it and getting empowered by that aspect of nature. It's relaxing. Breathing and drinking tea during this...ahhhh, so nice.

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 2

So those are some more things that can help.

Thank you Scotty, I checked out both, interesting stuff. Perhaps a little advance at my level. Dr. Yang of embryonic breathing has a good DVD set, part 1&2 go quite a bit into history and theory of Qigong. Something for me to look into after Bruce Frantzis. Thanks.

I benefit greatly from meditation, but the side effect, even meditation that lasts 5-10 minutes leads to a rise in anger. I am told I am a fire symbol. Also my job is all about thinking, so i spend the day in my head.

Unfortunatly living in a densely populated city, there are not many opportunities to reconnect with nature or to work with my hands(gardening etc. I am good at manipulating energy, I have tried 'pushing' it down, but not much help.

Humbleone, I actually have the same problem and have been working on it for the past few months. What seems to help me is to focus on the third eye point in the center of the forehead. That seems to calm the incessant chatter of my mind. Once that occurs I can feel energy gather at the point from other parts of my skull area including the crown. I also feel a downward flow of energy coming in from the heavens entering the third eye point and mixing with my own existing energy. It almost seems as if negative thought patterns are leaving my head and calmness is entering when everything is working properly. Once I have a good amount of 'chi' gathered I can feel it pour down my face and literally go into my eyes/nose/jaw and then down into my neck. From there I try to stay aware as it travels down towards my navel but I usually lose it before it reaches that destination. I can feel a definite sensation in my belly afterwards so I know it's at least partly worked. My goal is to stay aware of the energy throughout the whole process.

Like others have said I would definitely recommend Frantzis "Opening the Energy Gates" and "Tao of Stillness" books, and I would also recommend Mantak Chia's "Awaken Healing Light" which describes the full Microcosmic Orbit. I had been studying Frantzis methods for years, but once I complimented that with Chia's teachings the energy flow increased exponentially.

Hope that helps!

Bruce's dissolving processes do sound like what you are looking for. I second Sloppy in that.

Personally, resources wise, I'd recommend the books 'Opening the energy gates'(personally I prefer the original edition) and 'Tao of letting go'. The first is the introduction to the outer and downward dissolving of neigong. The latter an introduction to the inner dissolving of meditation. 'Tao of letting go' is a far better book on Daoist water meditation than the two previous volumes, compiling and expanding upon the important aspects of those books. It is far less cluttered and confusing read.

That said, A LOT of the content of Bruce's early books is available on his website as info on what he teaches. Reading that information may be enough to give you sufficient insight to begin to work with the practices.

The energy body is the energy body, and it does what it does. The dissolving method is a laid out process, but in fact the energy body like to dissolve and expand, as well as flow downward. It is part of its natural process. As is the upward flow etc. Simply sit, breath, BE, relax tune in and LISTEN to the downward movement and natural expansion diffusion of the energy body.

Water Method is NOT the only way to engage and deal with this process. Though it is an approach that specifically discusses and teaches a way to do so. Learning to scan though it and find and recgnise any blockages, and then what to do with them comes after. And is laid at well in the Water method. For example Stillness-Movement neigong (and Daoist zuowang in general) also certainly does this, but in a very different non-systematised way.

Bruce has, on seminars, laid out the hows and whys that his tradition layers practices in the way that it does, rather than aims straight for zuowang.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 1

Personally, I don't believe we can undo in one hour what we spend 23 hours building up.

I think if one wishes to address anger issues, one needs to look at our daily life. Meditation is good in that you can practice key skills--- non-attachment, concentration, relaxation--- but unless these skills are taken into and applied to daily life, they won't solve the problem.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, they mean a lot to me.

While I await the arrival of Opening the Energy gates by snail mail :) , I spruced Bruce Frantzis website quite a bit.

I believe he correctly points out my anger/agitation issue, he writes "Many people attempt to train in the higher spiritual disciplines without first clearing the energy blocks in their physical and emotional bodies. This way of proceeding can cause the equivalent of a short circuit in their systems. Many monks from Buddhist sects in China have had to seek out Taoist masters to repair the damage to their

systems caused by overly forceful meditation techniques."

There was a time when a day after zen meditation, I would get physical symptoms of rapid heart beat, sweaty palms and nervousness. I think this is where the Taoists really shine, they understand the mechanics of what is happening.

Bruce also writes about the ability of the mind to Direct the chi. He writes 'The science of chi gung is based on the axiom that the mind has the ability to direct chi. You can learn to feel your central nervous system, which is a primary intermediary between thoughts and chi."

I hope all this works for me, the journey continues...

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, they mean a lot to me.

, I spruced Bruce Frantzis website quite a bit.

I believe he correctly points out my anger/agitation issue,

I hope all this works for me, the journey continues...

Anger and irritation can arise during meditation for several reasons. Here are some;

Previously repressed emotions stored within and charging the myofascia (soft tissue) of the body, released and re-experienced as the body "lets go".

Energetic or structural imbalances concerning the Liver qi. The liver qi relates to acting/doing, when this impulse is prevented it creates an irritation that can lead to ruminating and anger. Rebellious liver qi rises, and is commonly associated with states of anger and frustration.

Energetic or structural imbalances elsewhere that manifests through the liver. The site or expression is not always the source.

Try not to associate with the emotions when they arise, stay observer, do not repress or deny this will keep them stuck/embedded inside you. Do not seek them or their expression. Practice. If they arise, allow, observe, relax, dissolve, let go. If it is too strong, back off. A little, often within a comfort zone will release and not unbalance you. Yes you can, and some systems do, go for the short sharp shock and its gone approach. With a teacher in guidance maybe arguably valid in some circumstances, but it still shocks and traumatises the system, it is just viewed as the lesser of two evils. No teacher, mmm not a good idea. My personality is not drawn to the latter, though some I know are.

The 2nd Ed of Opening the gates has A LOT of information. It can be overwhelming. The form is wu taji ji ben gong, the content Daoist neigong. Outer dissolving is taught standing because that is the most effective. But as Sloppy said, it can be done sitting or lying down. Do NOT worry about the breathing, it is not part of the neigong set and was simply added later to get that information also out because people asked for it. And as you've got previous experience I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

Good luck,

Best,

• Like 1

In seated meditation keeping my hands on my tantien (as taught by Ya Mu's Stillness-Movement chigung) gives me a deeper sense of downward flow then keeping them more traditionally a few inches infront.

I seem to connect best to downward flow when I focus on rooting. Focusing on my Lower Dantien also helps.

There is also a practice my teacher Tao Semko taught. I'm not really sure if it will help with downward flow but it *does* help people like me who are too much "in their head" (i.e. overdeveloped upper chakras with underdeveloped/neglected lower chakras).

Just in case you're like me I share it here:

1. Start bending your knees like you're doing a ballet plie

2. With your hands and arms at either side (as you're doing the plie) pretend you are twisting the lid off a jar lid with each hand

3. As you twist the jar lids off straighten the knees again

4. repeat the above

This helps connect you with earth. Good for grounding.

• Like 1

In seated meditation keeping my hands on my tantien (as taught by Ya Mu's Stillness-Movement chigung) gives me a deeper sense of downward flow then keeping them more traditionally a few inches infront.

;) Have you seen the pictures of Ya mu and his teacher doing SM-Neigong? :o:D

Best,

Anger and irritation can arise during meditation for several reasons. Here are some;

Previously repressed emotions stored within and charging the myofascia (soft tissue) of the body, released and re-experienced as the body "lets go".

Energetic or structural imbalances concerning the Liver qi. The liver qi relates to acting/doing, when this impulse is prevented it creates an irritation that can lead to ruminating and anger.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.

snowmonki, right on. I am now in my late 40's, married with children. But the repressed emotions and stagnant energy from my childhood and teenage years still with me. As Bruce Frantzis writes about energy blocks, the forceful meditation methods can actually do more damage than good.

As you said there is LOT of free information available. (still awaiting the books -:))

In hopes of helping others, I am sharing some of what I found to dissolve energy blocks. The 'outer' dissolving methods in the Energy Gates book.

Here is someone who has written a guide on how to go about using Opening the energy gates book. From the standing pose, to cloud hands, the three swings and finally the spinal stretch.

http://www.dankleiman.com/2011/10/31/opening-the-energy-gates-by-bruce-frantzis-is-the-most-important-qigong-book-to-have-in-your-library/

http://www.dankleiman.com/2011/11/16/the-challenge-of-the-three-swings/

http://www.youtube.com/user/StandStillBeFit

the above is Lam Kam Chuen. A good primer on Zhan Zhuang