mewtwo

how should one great and talk with a highly realized master?

so how should one do it? show they show respect and such or treate them like joe six pack down the street or both or neither? I ask cause i saw this video on youtube.

He is treating him with respect but the joke fals flat and it kind of borders on cultural incesitivity to me.

I personally felt like the DL was either supremely rude due to being offended, or supremely uneducated in the English language. Or just a mistake on his part. What an awkward moment.

Yeah, be respectful. But while you're asking...why would you treat 'joe six pack' any different? Being respectful is not about the person you're respecting, it's about who you are...a respectful person! Are you being respectful because you want something from the "master"...like getting their blessings? Putting on an act is incredibly see-through and of course, fake. Reap your own reward by being respectful in the first place...don't rely on the chosen one to favor you. :lol:

• Like 1

When I met the Dalai Lama everyone was bowing and such but i was a bit confused not knowing much about Buddhism at the time so I just stuck out my hand to shake his, he just shook it and then gave me a strong whack on my arm in a friendly way like you might do to your friend or brother, which I thought was pretty funny considering how formal everyone was being, perhaps it would have been taking things a bit far if I had whacked him back :lol: . But I read later that he prefers people to be more relaxed and more natural.

• Like 2

I personally felt like the DL was either supremely rude due to being offended, or supremely uneducated in the English language. Or just a mistake on his part. What an awkward moment.

Yeah, be respectful. But while you're asking...why would you treat 'joe six pack' any different? Being respectful is not about the person you're respecting, it's about who you are...a respectful person! Are you being respectful because you want something from the "master"...like getting their blessings? Putting on an act is incredibly see-through and of course, fake. Reap your own reward by being respectful in the first place...don't rely on the chosen one to favor you. :lol:

Well Scott y'see that's because we're all taught things backwards in backwards land:-)

Then while unlearning the backwards we mistake forwards for the right way, before realising it was backwards anyway but that it can't be taught.

Y'know TTC "when Tao is lost people have to be taught manners" or something.

DL is NOT a highly realized master.

More like a comedian and comedians don't find other comedians funny.

*pat* *pat*

More like a comedian and comedians don't find other comedians funny.

Are you sure you would recognise a master if you met one? The Dalai Lama has received tutorage by many of the highest regarded Tibetan masters since he was a young child and received more empowerments than most of us can dream of and meditates for three hours every day, that doesn't qualify him as a highly realised master but I would hope he would have picked up a thing or two.

• Like 4

One can only decide that for oneself. I would tend to agree with you, but have no idea.

Are you sure you would recognise a master if you met one? The Dalai Lama has received tutorage by many of the highest regarded Tibetan masters since he was a young child and received more empowerments than most of us can dream of and meditates for three hours every day, that doesn't qualify him as a highly realised master but I would hope he would have picked up a thing or two.

He's just parroting what he's been taught, it's not real wisdom. True he knows a lot but has pretty much zero accomplishment. He's like a bad actor really or a clown. There is an unmistaken realness to true spiritual achievement that's impossible to fake. He is only respected because he's been born into entitlement. Other than that he's NOTHING.

He's just parroting what he's been taught, it's not real wisdom. True he knows a lot but has pretty much zero accomplishment. He's like a bad actor really or a clown. There is an unmistaken realness to true spiritual achievement that's impossible to fake. He is only respected because he's been born into entitlement. Other than that he's NOTHING.

What makes you think that?

so how should one do it? show they show respect and such or treate them like joe six pack down the street or both or neither? I ask cause i saw this video on youtube.

He is treating him with respect but the joke fals flat and it kind of borders on cultural incesitivity to me.

I think this could easily be a case of cultural differences and Dalai Lama not having a real frame of reference of going to the pizza shop and ordering a pizza for himself.

Being brought up and having lived in a quite preordered way according to his religious/political duty and schedule. Having whole day pretty much planned out for him since childhood.

To be honest having travelled for longer time to places of very different cultures to my own I have also found myself misunderstanding people due to cultural references , although we may have spoken in English and my conversational English being good .

Few times results were nearly disasterous and I got to understand that only afterwards.

The way to talk to spiritual master is not uniformed. What is important how 'you'talk and treat everyone and the whole of enviroment all the time.

What is the intention and from what kind of place does it come from? Does it feel right? If it feels right ,then one will automaticaly know how to behave appropriateley.

Edited by suninmyeyes

You wont see him on youtube setting fire to bits of paper at a distance or any tricks like that but what most people remark about when they meet him is his grounded humanity and his ability to make you feel like you are close friends straight away, which I think is some achievement to be that open and unguarded when meeting complete a complete stranger. It seems to me that in the Boddhisatva path he has obvious surface signs of development.

• Like 5

It seems to me that in the Boddhisatva path he has obvious surface signs of development.

Whole families and thousands of others in Tibet are being refused to grocery stores, ostracized from the community and are being treated like jews during second world war due to stupid remarks spoken by your "boddhisatva". If the chinese hadn't invaded Tibet that fool would have destroyed the nation completely with his ignorance. It has nothing to do with not being able to light papers on fire. Saying stupid things is enough to give away you're a deluded fool.

Whole families and thousands of others in Tibet are being refused to grocery stores, ostracized from the community and are being treated like jews during second world war due to stupid remarks spoken by your "boddhisatva". If the chinese hadn't invaded Tibet that fool would have destroyed the nation completely with his ignorance. It has nothing to do with not being able to light papers on fire. Saying stupid things is enough to give away you're a deluded fool.

And what do your insults say about you?

I have not been to Tibet but to compare Shugden to the Jews of Nazi Germany is absurd and ridiculous, all the Dalai Lama said was that particular deity may be harmful, his intentions may well be completely compassionate, he hasn't rounded them up and put them in ghettos.

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 2