Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Adieu

Hello folks,

I never really knew this section was here or I would've posted more of my topics here. To make a long story short, I have lost my battle with the economy. After several months of looking for work, even a minimum wage job, I have failed to find any sustainable income. I have tried to work things out with my landlord, and although they allowed me to pay my rent late for a couple of months, they have told me that if I don't come up with the entire rent on the due date, they will be filing for eviction and charging me an extra $400+ in legal fees for the process. I can't afford to pay that, nor could I come up with that amount before the process is finished, so I'm going to be homeless as of the 3rd of next month.

Now I don't start this thread looking for sympathy, but just as a reminder, I have two degrees, a wealth of sales experience and management experience, and I can't find work. The last job I applied for, a position that involved returning shopping carts, had over 200 applicants before I ever filed mine, and that was the day after the job was posted. The economy, at least where I'm at, is dead to everyone. I went to see about a job ringing bells for the salvation army, but they had filled their quota as well. It seems that my chances are slim, so I'm going to spend the last of my money to renew my passport, set up a mailbox and apply for jobs teaching overseas. In the meantime I will do what I have to to survive.

I will accept the blame for my situation, I wasn't prepared financially for the economic downturn, nor did I expect it to last as long as it has. I'm not looking for advice, I know what I need to do, but I am expecting some to gloat and that's fine. In the end it is what it is. I will survive I'm sure. I know some people have offered me assistance, but I don't feel that I need to be burden on anyone. I will fix my problem myself.

In the meantime, this will be my last week, (for realzies this time) on the forum. I don't see anything, short of winning the lottery, that will allow me to stay where I'm at or find a new place. I just wanted to let everyone know that I enjoyed my time here and that when things start to change and I can make it back, I will, til then I hope everyone can remember that we're all real people and that we should treat each other as such. It's common to view each other as avatars in a cyber world, but when you do that you miss out on the chance to share the human experience that we all have within us.

With love and kindness, I wish you all well,

Aaron

Wow. The economy really is THAT bad in the US. Thanks for the note. There's always libraries too if you need computers.. make sure you got a library card while you have an addressed bill to show if you didn't yet.

I've heard plenty of good things about overseas teaching..

Hi Aaron,

I have always considered you a real person.

Sad things didn't work out for you there but noone can say you didn't try.

Best Wishes!

Hi Aaron,

I was going to say, "Sorry to hear about your troubles", but how do we know that they are "bad" ... perhaps this is the doorway to your greatest opportunity.

If you are interested then please consider the Woofing network (Working On Organic Farms). You basically get housed and fed in return for working on the farm. I have heard some even pay a small wage.

I understand you are in Florida, so here is a list of 25 jobs available in your area:

http://www.wwoofusa.org/Farms?LOC=FL

Perhaps one of them could work out for you.

Dao bless !! :D

• Like 1

Best wishes Aaron- I'll miss your posts while you're gone.

I hope things get better for you soon.

I still have a few days left. I am a bit disappointed that the cost of a passport seems to have gone up, but that's how it is. I also need to have a federal background check done and that's a bit expensive too, but I plan on applying for my passport and getting my background check done by the end of this week.

I have told my brother to look for a room for rent and he is. That's one worry off my mind, much of why I stuck around as long as I have was because of my worry for him. In a way this is an oppurtunity for me, because it allows me the chance to do what I've wanted to do for awhile, teach. If everything works out, I might even be able to get a job overseas before the start of the new year.

I will stop by when I have the time, but I am trying to get things organized, so I need to manage my time wisely and the forum right now is not my top priority. I still wish everyone well.

Aaron

Wow. The economy really is THAT bad in the US. Thanks for the note. There's always libraries too if you need computers.. make sure you got a library card while you have an addressed bill to show if you didn't yet.

I've heard plenty of good things about overseas teaching..

I have to speak up about it being " THAT bad in the US." Maybe I dont have a place of my own or a job.

But it is easy to live off the fat of the land here. I don't know how much money I have in my pockets??

But I am not without. I am not hungry or cold. My clothes are not tattered or dirty. My shoes are less than a month old. I do have friends and we do look out for each other.

From my view the highways are crowded so people are traveling where they will.

The parking lots at the stores are crowded, people are shopping.

I am using a computer, I have a cell phone. If one goes out and circulates it is not difficult to find something to do. I don't know anyone that is hungry. Even the addicts look dosed up good.

Well, it is true that I don't have a job. I am not really looking for one either.

Time to go get a chicken dinner. After lunch and at my leisure , I may return here.

Aaron, Good luck to you as you begin your new adventure. Embrace it man.

• Like 1

I got my passport yesterday. I tried to get my Federal Background Check done as well, but the woman at the Police station gave me the wrong information, I went to verify, came back and she closed the office down. I waited nearly two hours, but they didn't open back up, so I'm going to have to try and find a way to get that done on Monday. The only other thing I need to get ready to go teach is my medical records. I can't see how they would require my full medical records, so I'm thinking they need something to verify I'm healthy enough to perform the job. I'm still checking into that.

Anyways, today is the last day I have to pay rent, so my three day notice should appear tomorrow, then I have til Wed to vacate and start my amazingly super fun trip on the streets. Good thing it's cold and miserable, wouldn't want to start this kind of thing while it was warm and pleasant. Ahh... life has a way of throwing crap at you.

Aaron

Yeah the streets. I'm going to try and find some alternative, but the shelters here are either overcrowded or infested with bedbugs, so I'm probably going to steer clear. I've been clean and sober for awhile now, so I don't really want to hang around the element that involves in that either. I'm sure I can earn enough each day for eating. No worries, I'm a big boy, I'll make it, one way or the other. I have a mailing address now and my brother agreed to accept calls on my behalf.

Anyways, thanks for the concern,

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Always have clean clothes on and look clean

Be around people all the time, something good will come up

Find where rich people at, be confident and no one will ask you why you're there

Find a very expensive hotel and straight out ask where the spa is, once you get in, you can clean up and take a nap

Better sleep during the day somehow and be around at parties

and uh

I guess

Man, good thing you're way down in Florida. Again, best of luck.
Actually, that's probably the problem. Blue states in particular have taken a nosedive after the housing bust..
According to a Daily Beast ranking, Orlando has the worst economic climate in the country for young adults.

Using data from the U.S. Census and the credit reporting company Experian, the website set out to discern where young adults "had it the worst." Orlando topped the bunch.

The Daily Beast based its ratings on average consumer debt and unemployment among single residents ages 20 to 24. The cities that had the biggest increase in those factors between 2008 and 2010 were rated worst.

The survey said unemployment for the 20-24 age group in Orlando is 23.7 percent.

So, it sounds like he may actually be in one of the worst locales right now for finding work.

The upside to this is that the economic climate should be better if he does relocate anywhere else.. Cities in Florida are just not really the "norm" right now.

Well, I meant so that he won't freeze to death on the streets like he would in most of America this time of year.

Best wishes Aaron ... you have added a lot to this forum and hope you will find a way to stick around.

Prayers and thoughts for a lucky break for you ...

A.

Twinner,

are you traveling light? stay safe. common sense goes along ways.

best of luck. perhaps you will find yourself at the right place at the right time.

stay focused and optimistic.

i would just go hang out at the beach and do some fishing, but that is me.

i have confidence that you will do fine whatever path you choose to go on.

i look forward to your future posts and tales of your adventures.

http://www.wwoofusa.org/About_WWOOFUSA

I'd hafta say that Stigweard submitted the best advice. This movement is growing; living/working on organic farms will have a significant demographic impact when food production becomes the nation's biggest industry. Get in while the gettin's good.

Seriously, a half day's work in exchange for food, lodging and skills building? That leaves the average TTBum with 6+ hours left for cultivation/meditation. I would snag that opp in a hot minute if I were still single and not pursuing other options.

Good luck, Aaron.

Edited by Encephalon
  • Like 2

Hello guys,

I'm going through the process of preparing for a teaching career overseas. I have been told that I am a little older than most prefer, but there are places where I can go that don't pay a lot, but need teachers badly. (I mean like $400 a month bad.) To be honest, these are the positions I think I'd like the most, because it involves helping disadvantaged children and adults better their lives. Yeah it would be nice to go to Korea and visit the Buddhist temples, eat Kim Chi and earn a decent wage, but at the same time there's something to be said for charity work as well. I'm a firm believer that you can't take it with you.

In the meantime my goal is to try and stay safe and warm. Orlando has a large homeless population, which, believe it or not, isn't a good thing. Apparently the shelter is usually full, so if you don't actually wait there and hold a spot, you don't get a place to sleep. I think it's counter productive really, how is someone supposed to find work, get a job, and crawl out of being homeless, if they can't leave a shelter for fear of losing their bed? Oh well, life is screwy that way.

My brother said he wasn't going to help, that it wasn't his responsibility. I must say I got upset, but then I remembered that for the most part he's an angry atheist that follows the Ayn Rand philosophy of life, so I understand why he feels that way, even if it baffles me that he can. His wife called and let me know how much she appreciates everything I've done for them and asked me not to judge him too harshly.

Anyways, I'm finishing packing up and storing my stuff today. I couldn't sleep last night and got up at around 5am to start putting things away. I'm sure I'll make it once I get on the streets, my fear is that I will lose sight of what my end goal is.

Aaron

P.S. Thanks for all the encouragement and sympathy. I haven't received my five day notice to respond, so I think I have at least until next monday before they can kick me out.

Edited by Twinner

Orlando has a large homeless population, which, believe it or not, isn't a good thing. Apparently the shelter is usually full, so if you don't actually wait there and hold a spot, you don't get a place to sleep.

If you wander away from the over crowded "safe-zone" into the wilderness, are there zombies?

I heard there are wilderness survival courses that might come in handy.

I would like to know how the overseas teaching goes.

http://www.wwoofusa.org/About_WWOOFUSA

I'd hafta say that Stigweard submitted the best advice. This movement is growing;

it's strange there is still a large homeless/idle population with wwoofing openings still there, I thought there wouldn't be enough wwoofing opportunities.

I heard that some organic farms in the US bring busloads of mexicans to weed and harvest the crops. If they were paid then maybe it would be cheaper to transition to permaculture and use the wwoofing module?

Edited by Desert Eagle
  • Like 1

Hello everyone,

Good news, my brother found a room for rent and he can take my cats, so that's two worries off my mind. I, unfortunately, can't join them. It's bittersweet, we're twins after all, and aside for a few years when I was married we've always been together, just another attachment to let go of I guess.

He's actually moving out tomorrow, which is probably wise on his part, this apartment has an oppressive air about it now. I wont like spending my last moments here alone, but knowing he'll be fine helps with that.

Anyways, my landlord put a notice stating they'll be filing the five day notice tomorrow, which means I have five days left in my apartment, not including the weekend, from tomorrow. I'll probably pop in now and again, but more and more other priorities are taking place.

I had sushi tonight, my brother's treat, which was nice. I haven't had a decent meal in awhile. It's nice to take a break from ramen. Good night Tao Bums, I hope life is treating you well.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

aaron,

have you already secured your teaching position overseas?

i am curious to which country and did you consider the peace corps?

Sign in to follow this