Taomeow

So some of you said you'd go for that Jungian test I mentioned...

To take this test, you would need to secure fifteen minutes to half an hour of quiet undisturbed time, like you do for meditation.

When you're ready to start, you will read the question, close your eyes, visualize what you're asked to visualize, answer the question mentally, and then scroll down to the next one. Don't type your answers right away, the visualization must not be interrupted. When you are done with the whole test (it's not long), then you write down everything you saw (or felt or imagined or conceptualized or otherwise perceived -- visualization skills vary, so you would use any mode of perception that comes naturally to retrieve the images you are asked to retrieve.) There's no "right" or "wrong" answers to this test. The interpretation will be posted when everybody who wants to give it a try has done so. (Any new takers who might show up later will be asked not to look at it prior to taking the test. :))

Ready?..

Let's begin.

Close your eyes, sit quietly for a minute, breathe naturally.

Visualize a forest.

Visualize a path you're walking that leads you into the forest.

You are walking on a path in the forest...

Keep walking...

You keep walking and you come across a cup in your path.

What kind of a cup is it? Describe the cup, describe your feelings, describe your actions.

Keep walking...

You keep walking and you come across a key in your path.

What kind of a key is it? Describe the key, describe your feelings, describe your actions.

Keep walking...

You keep walking and you come across a lake in your path.

What kind of a lake is it? Describe the lake, describe your feelings, describe your actions.

Keep walking...

You keep walking and you come across a house in your path.

What kind of a house is it? Describe the house, describe your feelings, describe your actions.

Keep walking...

You keep walking and you come across a wall in your path.

The wall is completely impenetrable, there's no openings. There's no way to walk around it because it is too long, there's no way to climb over it because it is too high.

What kind of a wall is it? Describe the wall, describe your feelings, describe your actions.

The test ends here. Please write down everything you have experienced.

• Like 1

Yey! Thanks TaoMoew. Here goes

------

Visualize a forest. - Pine forest

Keep walking...

You keep walking and you come across a cup in your path. - in clearing and crossroads

What kind of a cup is it? Describe the cup, describe your feelings, describe your actions.

Silver cup, two handles, reminds me of happiness, pick it up, look at it, put it down.

Keep walking...

What kind of a key is it? Describe the key, describe your feelings, describe your actions.

Golden key, elaborate finely worked decorative handle, coloured ribbons attached, pick it up, want to keep it, then decide someone must have lost it, put it back in an obvious place so the owner can find it

Keep walking...

What kind of a lake is it? Describe the lake, describe your feelings, describe your actions.

vast calm lake, misted over, sense of peace, put hands in water to feel temperature, cool

Keep walking...

What kind of a house is it? Describe the house describe your feelings, describe your actions.

Wooden house, feel friendly, announce my arrival and wait for owner to come out

Keep walking...

The wall is completely impenetrable, there's no openings. There's no way to walk around it because it is too long, there's no way to climb over it because it is too high.

What kind of a wall is it? Describe the wall, describe your feelings, describe your actions.

Brick wall, despair and sadness, turn away and go back where I came from

Thanks! Hopefully at least some of the interpretation will be flattering ;-)

You do know this is one of the very first induction techniques you learn in hypnosis? It's been modified a bit, but it's been used for decades to help therapists discern the psychological well being of their patients. I wasn't under the impression it was used as a personality test though. In light of it being written down, it may be hard to get honest answers, because part of it requires that one be in a state of suggestibility so that their inhibitions aren't as evident, then a person is more apt to answer as their subconscious and conscious minds would conclude. Anyways, it's still interesting and thanks for taking the time to post it. When I have some time I'll try and take the test and write down my answers.

Aaron

Note- I learned this induction around 18 years ago when I was in college.

Edited by Twinner

it is a silver goblet with celtic knotwork on the side, a square bottom, no handles. The stem is thick. It feels good, ancestral, i pick it up and admire it and then realize that its probably someone elses (ironic right?) and put it down and keep walking

it is a gold key, not too big, not too small, with three rings on the end you hold, and a simple set of teeth. it is not on a chain. my feelings are not really noticable. I thought it would be more ornate but i am not disappointed, it has a nice feel. i put it down, aware that it might be a test from the forest spirits to see if i would just take it without asking.

it is a crystal clear lake with fish and turtles and frogs, it is lined with pine trees and hills, there are mountains in teh distance. I disrobe and go swimming with joy!

What kind of a house is it? Describe the house, describe your feelings, describe your actions.

it is an old stone cottage with a shingle roof covered with moss. It looks very warm and cozy. There are lights on in the windows and smoke coming out the chimney. there is a stream and a little stone bridge nearby. It would make a freudian analyst think that i put together too many jigsaw puzzles as a child, but a jungian one would know better :) It makes me feel like i should knock on the door and see who lives there, but it also makes me feel like i shouldn't at the same time. I admire it for a while and walk on.

it has sharpish stones in it, like old stones that have worn to sharp points in places or more like crags so to speak. It is wet in the cracks. There is no mortar, just stones. I felt like i wanted to get away from it, it gave me the not so good feelings. My actions were to stand and look at it for a while, thinking "could i possible take a stone out and get through?" of course i could its MY visualization, but i didn't, in line with the purpose of hte exercise. I just kept walking.

You do know this is one of the very first induction techniques you learn in hypnosis? It's been modified a bit, but it's been used for decades to help therapists discern the psychological well being of their patients. I wasn't under the impression it was used as a personality test though. In light of it being written down, it may be hard to get honest answers, because part of it requires that one be in a state of suggestibility so that their inhibitions aren't as evident, then a person is more apt to answer as their subconscious and conscious minds would conclude. Anyways, it's still interesting and thanks for taking the time to post it. When I have some time I'll try and take the test and write down my answers.

Aaron

Note- I learned this induction around 18 years ago when I was in college.

That's interesting Aaron. I also knew a version that involved drawing additions to basic shapes. What I'm interested in in this case is the interpretation. Especially if it's being done by a fully-fledged Siberian shamana with Taoist 5E and I-ching skills ;-)

Y'know, recipes-cooks?

Of course, if TaoMeow comes up with the 'stock' answers that anyone could get using this very same 'test' then that's interesting too. If I don't like what she comes up with, what do I do?

To take this test, you would need to secure fifteen minutes to half an hour of quiet undisturbed time, like you do for meditation.

When you're ready to start, you will read the question, close your eyes, visualize what you're asked to visualize, answer the question mentally, and then scroll down to the next one. Don't type your answers right away, the visualization must not be interrupted. When you are done with the whole test (it's not long), then you write down everything you saw (or felt or imagined or conceptualized or otherwise perceived -- visualization skills vary, so you would use any mode of perception that comes naturally to retrieve the images you are asked to retrieve.) There's no "right" or "wrong" answers to this test. The interpretation will be posted when everybody who wants to give it a try has done so. (Any new takers who might show up later will be asked not to look at it prior to taking the test. :))

Ready?..

Let's begin.

Visualize a forest. Old growth, thick evergreens.

Winding singletrack path, forest not encroaching.

You are walking on a path in the forest... Feel in awe of the majestic beauty,

breathe in the moist, cool air, refreshed.

Keep walking...

I see a average size brass colored cup, like a tea cup, it is almost full of

crystal clear, cold water, I lift it a drink from it feeling revived and peaceful.

I take the cup with me and continue on.

Keep walking...

It is a brass(again) colored key, old style skeleton key with an ornate scroll pattern

design to it's head, it feels cold in my hand, but has all smooth edges, I place it into my other pocket.

Keep walking...

The lake is a beautiful aqua blue in color. It is roughly circular in shape. Mossy banks descend to the clear water's surface. Sun beams strike the surface of the lake, as the water glistens. I feel enlivened. I sit for a moment to admire it's beauty and bask in the sunlight, the warmth feels wonderful on my face.

Keep walking...

The house is unusual. Like a tree house. there is a ladder and ropes going up to it from the ground. I feel curious about it and ponder going up to explore it. I call out, but there is no answer. I decide not to impose and move on. i wonder if per chance I may meet these people who live in this great tree house, and hope that I do.

Keep walking...

The wall is made from earth and large stones. It looks very old and all of the surfaces are smooth as if worn by many eons of seasons past. There is much growing on the wall, with moss and lichen and vine like plants extending from the ground up as far as I am able to see.I feel a sense of wonder. I do not feel trapped or worried. I feel curious about the history and people who constructed this amazing wall. I decide to sit against it, and take out the key and cup I had found earlier. I ponder these items, feeling them in my hands and wondering where they have been, what their stories are. I sit and relax and feel no hurry to go or be anywhere.

------------

Visualize a forest.

Keep walking...

It's a clay cup filled with water. No feelings. I leave it alone.

Keep walking...

It's an old black key with two notches at the bottom and three round circles at the handle. Nervous. I leave the key alone.

Keep walking...

It's a small lake surrounded by tall pine trees, the sun is sparkling on it's surface. I feel calm and peaceful. I just watch the water and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Keep walking...

It's a two story house sitting on the side of a hill. It's painted white with black trim. It makes me feel sad. I just look at it for awhile, but again it's a sad house, so I don't want to pay much attention to it.

Keep walking...

The wall is made of logs twined together, at the top the logs have been sharpened to points. It makes me feel worried. I leave the wall alone.

----------

There you go.

Edited by Twinner

Pine forest, a real one that I live near...wide dirt path that doesn't exist in reality.

Bright gold chalice that's glowing. I pick it up, and don't really feel anything.

Dull gold skeleton key. I pick it up, don't really feel anything. I carry both since I don't know if I'll need them later on.

Kind of small peaceful sunny lake. Somehow I end up water skiing on it. :lol: Feels nice.

Small wooden cottage. I knock on the door. Feels like I own the place, and that I should lay on the bed, but I'm unsure of this and continue on...

The wall didn't exist at all at first. Then when I willed it to follow the instructions, it slowly appeared as a small stone wall that I could step around or probably climb over. Had to will it again, so that it was a stone wall that I couldn't pass in any way. I felt powerful, but like I was doing something stupid by forcing the visualization to be something that I can't pass...it didn't come naturally at all.

The forest is pine, the path is about wide enough for two people to pass each other.

The cup is at a cross in the path sitting in the center. Silver, flat on top and bottom and rounds on the side, like a sphere with the ends cut off. No handles. No designs. It's a cup, someone told me so, so I notice it and then move along to see what's next.

The key is also at a cross sitting in the center. It's gold and looks just like an ordinary house key. I have no real feelings about the key. I don't need a key at the moment and I was not searching for a key but someone pointed it out and I looked.

Now I find I am on my bike riding so I see the lake but it's more like scenery as I go by. I don't notice too much more than it being a lake and that I am happy to be riding by it and to have a chance to see it.

The house is ordinary. Not to large. Just about big enough for a couple or a small family. I don't pay much attention to it. At this point I am starting to feel like I am playing ZORK.

The wall is cement or stone. Either way it is smooth. It's a warm sunny day and the wall provides some shade. I'm happy I can sit and lean against it. I might take a nap if I can get comfy enough.

After my rest I get back on my bike and head back the other direction. I might stop by the lake on my way back, and I am wondering if the key works in the door of the house, and if the cup has anything in it to drink because I am getting a little thirsty. Or maybe there is a water fountain at the lake.

Ha ha...thanks Wall! You really made me rethink all the stuff I saw on the way here and see and understand it's usefulness! :-)

Ready?..

Let's begin.

Visualize a forest.

Its a jungle really...somewherein the tropics...maybe back home, in india

Keep walking...

its a simple white cup with modest grooves and bumps on its upper portion. Its filled with oolong tea, amber dragon perhaps. Makes me want o drink it, savor the taste of the tea. Conforting, makes me feel comforted.

Keep walking...

Its an ancient key, gold perhaps. Makes me feel that there are some interesting secrets it might be hiding...i put it in my pocket, filled with excitement about wat it might unlock, if i could find a door that it unlocks.

Keep walking...

its a medium sized lake...there are lotus flowers in one corner, to the right, near the shore. I see water buffalos languidly bathing in it. There are white storks too, one is spreading its wing, one foot out of the water. I think, culd there be crocodiles in the water, but then i feel perhaps not. I sit down on a grassy knoll and bask in warm sunlight....

Keep walking...

its an old country house...terracota roof, dilapidated. There was a happy family that lived there once...now only dust, the jungle has claimed it back. I feel wistful...a pang of sorrow in my heart. I walk in, see broken furniture...almost gone. I walk away....

Keep walking...

its not really a wall...not a man made one. Its a sheer side of an ancient mountain...worn down by the ages...not even a weed seems to grow in its cracks. Its tall and imposing but i feel an elation, mixed with apprehension...will i be able to climb it. I try...

btw forgot to thank you for such a great and relaxing exercise. I got home at 3 am this morning from work, unable to sleep. It helped me spend my time well, imho. :)

Edited by dwai

edit:made few changes and walked path again in some instances as per request of Tao Meow and need for more imformation.

Ready?..

Let's begin.

Visualize a forest.

It is a pine forest that I am familiar with. Love the feeling of the forest.Enjoying the walk.

Keep walking...

It is a stainless still cup sadhus use in India and carry everywhere around with them due to lack of disposable cups I suppose. I used it too to drink water from.

I go down to the river that is fast and crystal clear grab some water and drink it. Shooting fresh waters enevelop my body, I can feel coolnes in my blood.

Keep walking...

Saw`that sparkly key pen again(from previous try)decide that I dont need the keyes and dont want to have anything to do with them, so I live that sparkly key /pen on sitting on the earth as I saw it first and move on.

Keep walking...

Familiar almost celestial lake,it is form my mindscape since always and I love it, been there many times in my imagination and dreams. It has a tree to the left , I have imagined it becouse one of the caracthers in the story climbed the tree and was looking at the fairies? dancing from it.

It reminds me of Krishna and Gopis playing , and faries dancing as I the both stories were set by the lake and I remeber imaging the same lake.

I take off my clothes and dive in with pleasure.

Keep walking...

It is Baba Yagas house standing on the three chicken legs. Chimney giving out smoke.This is where I would like to live deep in the forest.

Feels like my real home.

Finally I get to meet her and feeling of great satisfaction and warmth is felt.

Keep walking...

It is an invisable wall made out of my wishes that I know very well that I had troubles with before and am not bothered at all this time.Feeling no wall is going to faze me ,walls are part of life.

I sit and wait, becouse that is how it dissolves.Dont mind waiting forever.

edit:made few changes and walked path again in some instances as per request of Tao Meow and need for more imformation.

Edited by suninmyeyes

Halfway through I remembered I've done this test before, but I believe I've forgot most of it, and avoided trying to remember any details.

Visualize a forest.

To my surprise a snow-covered forest with glowing mushrooms and flowers. Later it turns into plants with very long leaves, sometimes the glowing plants change.

A beer glass with handle, made of something blue with some kinds of inlaid stones. I pick it up. I like it though it feels ordinary.

A traditional key, but made of something blue again, sometimes it's white. It has a red stone in it that sometimes shift to white. I like it so I pick it up and put it around my neck.

The lake is white, large and widens to the left. I'm thinking about touching this strange water, but there emerges a white creature with teeth that feels dangerous but not evil (does it have a red stone as well?). At least I try to drink from the strange water with the cup. It could be milk. It doesn't taste anything strange. When I walk away the creature wails in sorrow. It misses me.

A large tree in a glade. there's a house climbing it and I know that I can fly away through this edifice.

It's not time though since the exercise is continuing, and am suddenly starting to remember this part and I want to stop before I try to modify the experience in any way.

Firstly I am frustrated, but then the wall stabilizes. It's of red dirt. Organic and kind of tells me it could swallow me and let me true. I expect a door but it is totally unnecessary.

Visualize a forest.

It appears to be a pine forest with very green and very tall trees.

Keep walking...

It's a wooden cup, looks more like a mug. It appears to be pretty old and has a kind of ingrained vertical pattern on it. I tried taking a sip out of it but there was nothing inside.

Keep walking...

The key is brownish, but I suspect this is because it has rusted. I am somewhat curious, so I put the key into my pocket.

Keep walking...

The lake is a dark blue-green color with a fairly large rock on the western end of the lake. For whatever reason I get a strange feeling in my lower abdomen when I gaze at it, kind of like a sinking feeling.

Keep walking...

I come up at the house and it appears to be a fairly old home, I feel this way because of it's style. I look at the front primarily where it has 3 windows, 1 on the bottom (presumably on the first floor) and 2 on the top. The windows all have brown rims/borders and have small window sills. The color of the house is a light beige/tan and for some reason I get the impression that it's from the countryside.

Keep walking...

The wall is black in color and appears to be made of some kind of metal although it does not feel this way to the touch. It has small black bolts decorating it's rim, presumably put there during its construction. I come closer to the wall and touch it as if to make sure it is indeed real and can not be moved in any way. I decide to head back.

I'm not sure if I did it properly, I just put the first thing that came to my mind whenever I visualized what I had to.

Is this the same forest we're always asked to walk into? :D Medium thick and deciduous with not too much undergrowth, get there from a field that looks very much like one I used to help bail hay in. I had to take an alternate path to get to the lake because when I walk into one of the paths I dont normally go straight for the lake - and who's been littering in the back yard? I had to go very far in over hill and dale to find anything that resembled a wall B)

Edited by joeblast

I better do it before the interpretation probably be too tempted to peek.

Ready?..

Let's begin.

Visualize a forest.

Keep walking...

Tall green hardwood tree, deep to dappled shade, path strewn with leaves, nuts and moss.

It's an ordinary white tea cup with a flower on it, looks like it has been there a while, discolored and finish crazed, little sad since people shouldn't leave trash in the woods, but not ordinary trash so wonder what happened to person who left it too. I pick it up and put it in my bag.

Keep walking...

Old fashioned tarnished brass skeleton type key. I like old keys, wonder what it goes to. Put it in my bag.

(everything goes in my bag when I walk in the woods, usually I just pick up trash.)

Keep walking...

Small clear lake, very cold so I think it's spring fed, sit there a while. Little fish in the lake, cat tails, dragonflies, a heron stops by for a bit. Think about coming back sometime to fish.

Keep walking...

Rustic looking log cabin, a little overgrown around it, but wood neatly stacked by the side. Green curtains in the windows and smoke coming out the chimney. (Tim, my psychologist friend, mentioned once to include those details if you ever take a test involving drawing or describing a house, umm yeah there it is.) Anyway looks like someone lives there and likes the privacy so I go on. Imagine it might be the kind of person who would sit in the woods and drink tea from a real cup.

Keep walking...

Old stone wall, no mortar. No worries, time to go back now anyway.

Can we get the interpretation?

Yes, later today. :)

So anyone who still wants to take the test, please do, and if you take it later, use your zhi for self-control and please don't peek! :)

Visualize a forest.

Open forest with a small path, familiar

Keep walking...

Metal cup, sad, it's one of these you see in jails prisoners bang on bars

keep it

Keep walking...

Golden key with jewels, it's mine, keep it

Keep walking...

Crystal lake, refreshed, keep walking

Keep walking...

Wooden hut, unfamiliar, keep walking

Keep walking...

White brick wall, pressured, I walk through it

Yes, later today. :)

So anyone who still wants to take the test, please do, and if you take it later, use your zhi for self-control and please don't peek! :)

Oh good!

INTERPRETATION

The test is based on archetypes discovered by Karl Jung in the course of his inquiry into mythologies, legends, art, dreams, symbols and patterns of many cultures around the world. What he discovered was that, notwithstanding vast differences in human societies, both cultural and temporal (from the most ancient times to modern), certain images persist across the spectrum, are present everywhere, and mean the same things to the deeper consciousness of all humans. Their symbolic significance is rooted in the fact that there's some biological reality underlying such symbols, they are not arbitrary, they are developmental. The ability to create abstract symbolic representations of the actual biological experiences is something all humans have in common, and Jung discovered that the most primal of these experiences are represented by identical symbols in all environments. The test offered presents these fundamental archetypes. Here's their universal meaning:

A PATH IN THE FOREST is the universal symbol for the path of life. The reason is that for the longest time in our history (over 99,999% of our species' overall time on this planet), this was actually true. The planet used to be all covered with forests, and that's where human lives unfolded. Most of the forests are gone now but the image persists, it is ingrained very deeply due to countless millennia of repeating the pattern -- "life" is what takes place as we "walk through the forest." ("They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" -- Bob Dylan... but don't let me digress.)

The CUP stands for love and signifies your attitude, experience, feelings both conscious and unconscious toward love. The biological-psychological reason for such symbolization is that we are mammals. The first experience of love is that of nursing, being offered the drink of life and love by the mother, out of a vehicle after whose shape humans modeled all "cups," containers for liquid sustenance. The context in which we were first given it when entering this life is imprinted as our perception of love and its manifestations on a most fundamental level. The first, most intimate "cup" a baby drinks from creates (or compromises) the primal closeness that patterns all subsequent experiences associated with love on this one.

The KEY stands for personal wealth, attitude toward material possessions, money, tangible valuables, belongings, ownership. The reason is that keys, regardless of their shape and form, is something invented to separate "mine" from "not mine," to be able to take a portion of whatever "doesn't belong to anyone" or "belongs to everyone" and say, with actions rather than with words, "THIS belongs to ME," by locking this portion away from everybody else with a key. The idea of "ownership" has to do with the imprint of individuation. It is neither my place nor my desire to say if it's good or bad to have a strong "I me my" individuality, this is for a different discussion. But that's what your key means.

The LAKE stands for sex, and also for reproduction which is the primary biological function of sex. The reason is that your first experience of maximum closeness, total immersion, with reproductive overtones to it, is that of being a fetus in the womb and swimming in the amniotic fluid. Again, this experience will color your sexual manifestations, attitudes, feelings, abilities, etc., depending on a very -- I should say the most -- fundamental experience of your life. Those who had creatures swimming in their lake might consider that they brought into the picture some additional archetypes (fishes, e.g., share a Jungian archetype with a taoist symbol for "fertility," perhaps hinting at one's deep parental drives underneath the sex drive.)

The HOUSE stands for self. This is self-explanatory, and universal. (Interestingly, someone who took the test who is a twin was the only one who came up with a two-story house. That's because "self" as "house" you inhabit is also a primal fundamental of perceptions since before birth.)

The WALL stands for death. This is a concept which is difficult for the living consciousness to integrate, I should perhaps say "impossible" rather than "difficult," because the "path in the forest" is all a living consciousness knows, and when it ends... well, beliefs and speculations and dogmas and wishful (or fearful) thinking take the place of the actual experience. Everything else is experience, but the Wall, only for some. (There's people who have experienced death -- most often during a difficult birth when they had to be revived or somehow got revived in the process, or a drugged birth when they shut down to near-death -- and some who have experienced a clinical death later in life, but for everybody else, death in this-here life is not a systemic memory.) So the prerequisites of the Wall of the test (something final, impenetrable, no climbing over, no walking around) are often ignored, and people come up with images suggesting that the wall is not really there, is no big deal, and so on. I would suggest that everyone whose "wall" seemed too easy to ignore or overcome repeat the steps and try to visualize the wall really archetypal as offered in the test ... see what might happen if you erect it to these specs.

• Like 1

Thanks TaoMeow!

Can one use the same visualisation to change things?

Funnily enough I was wondering the other day about genetic memory and whether that could help to explain the "karma" concept.

I'm not very happy about the cup nor the key...ah well.

Thanks TaoMeow!

Can one use the same visualisation to change things?

Funnily enough I was wondering the other day about genetic memory and whether that could help to explain the "karma" concept.

I'm not very happy about the cup nor the key...ah well.

You are most welcome. :)

No, using the same visualization to change things would not be efficient. The immediate symbols obtained refer to the underlying reality -- what is, as is. If you don't change the reality, but change the symbols, all you get is a mismatch, a further disconnection from reality. If you work on strengthening these "new and improved" symbols, again without changing the underlying reality, you will have created something in your mind that cognitive neuroscientist Antonio Damasio refers to as "as-if loops" -- ideas that have the power to generate superficial feelings which begin and end in the upper cortical regions, in a loop that starts and ends in the brain, without involving the body. The archetypes are not like that. Archetypal symbols that are presented to the brain do not start in the brain, they start in the experiences lived through, in the body, and report to the brain directly, not symbolically; it is the job of the "thinking" mind then, upon getting such a report, to interpret and objectify it, to come up with something it can condense in to a symbol to represent THAT reality. If you choose a different symbol, "editing the report," so to speak, the body will get no information about the change, since it didn't live it and didn't participate in the modification. So, you may be thinking something that you like more, but deep systemic functioning will not be affected except adversely (for if the mind rejects the accurate reports in favor of "as-if" ones, communication between you and you is further disrupted.)

This is not to say that the test does not serve a very useful pragmatic purpose, because one can be pointed in the general direction of areas in need of work, and this work, which needs to be comprehensive rather than superficial for anyone who would take such things to heart, can indeed change the archetypal symbol itself -- this is possible if you change YOU, to the extent that the very primal imprint gets deleted and a new one installed. This is not easy or fast or straightforward, but the test can hint at the venues to explore... E.g., there's so many uninhabited houses out there! People come to the house and then don't come in. Or they feel someone lives there, even have a distinct specific sense of who this "someone" is, but don't realize THEY live there, don't know what's inside the house... it remains terra incognita, and they move on without even trying to knock on the door, much less pay a visit, much less come HOME. So, if this happens, this may hint that someone in this situation knows himself or herself only very superficially... stays well away from one's deep inner world... does not live in one's body... and so on, in every case it will be a bit different, but it is noteworthy that many indigenous people, when asked to visualize a house, simply visualize "MY" house -- "I live here, so I come in and there's this and that and I do this and that here..."

And so on. Every answer anyone gave to every question is for them to ponder, the goal of this test is to gain a little self-awareness and a bit of "know thyself" -- it is not prescriptive... it merely illuminates, what to do with what has been illuminated is, well, what do you do with awareness in general? -- It's the germ of any change anyone desires... or of remaining unchanged if what you've become aware of suits you.

• Like 2

You are most welcome. :)

No, using the same visualization to change things would not be efficient. The immediate symbols obtained refer to the underlying reality -- what is, as is. If you don't change the reality, but change the symbols, all you get is a mismatch, a further disconnection from reality. If you work on strengthening these "new and improved" symbols, again without changing the underlying reality, you will have created something in your mind that cognitive neuroscientist Antonio Damasio refers to as "as-if loops" -- ideas that have the power to generate superficial feelings which begin and end in the upper cortical regions, in a loop that starts and ends in the brain, without involving the body. The archetypes are not like that. Archetypal symbols that are presented to the brain do not start in the brain, they start in the experiences lived through, in the body, and report to the brain directly, not symbolically; it is the job of the "thinking" mind then, upon getting such a report, to interpret and objectify it, to come up with something it can condense in to a symbol to represent THAT reality. If you choose a different symbol, "editing the report," so to speak, the body will get no information about the change, since it didn't live it and didn't participate in the modification. So, you may be thinking something that you like more, but deep systemic functioning will not be affected except adversely (for if the mind rejects the accurate reports in favor of "as-if" ones, communication between you and you is further disrupted.)

This is not to say that the test does not serve a very useful pragmatic purpose, because one can be pointed in the general direction of areas in need of work, and this work, which needs to be comprehensive rather than superficial for anyone who would take such things to heart, can indeed change the archetypal symbol itself -- this is possible if you change YOU, to the extent that the very primal imprint gets deleted and a new one installed. This is not easy or fast or straightforward, but the test can hint at the venues to explore... E.g., there's so many uninhabited houses out there! People come to the house and then don't come in. Or they feel someone lives there, even have a distinct specific sense of who this "someone" is, but don't realize THEY live there, don't know what's inside the house... it remains terra incognita, and they move on without even trying to knock on the door, much less pay a visit, much less come HOME. So, if this happens, this may hint that someone in this situation knows himself or herself only very superficially... stays well away from one's deep inner world... does not live in one's body... and so on, in every case it will be a bit different, but it is noteworthy that many indigenous people, when asked to visualize a house, simply visualize "MY" house -- "I live here, so I come in and there's this and that and I do this and that here..."

And so on. Every answer anyone gave to every question is for them to ponder, the goal of this test is to gain a little self-awareness and a bit of "know thyself" -- it is not prescriptive... it merely illuminates, what to do with what has been illuminated is, well, what do you do with awareness in general? -- It's the germ of any change anyone desires... or of remaining unchanged if what you've become aware of suits you.

Interesting....from my part of the exercise --

its an old country house...terracota roof, dilapidated. There was a happy family that lived there once...now only dust, the jungle has claimed it back. I feel wistful...a pang of sorrow in my heart. I walk in, see broken furniture...almost gone. I walk away....

It's got me thinking...do I really consider my "Self" to be a dilapidated old house? Something that's been reclaimed by the jungle (ie life)? Who did I feel the sorrow for? Myself? What does the broken furniture symbolize? What does it mean that I walked away from it all? Does it mean that I subconsciously want to walk away from who I am?