Bloodywarrior

what makes taoism unique?

What are the interesting aspects of taoism?

Also what are the core concepts of taoism?

What is a taoist?

Get Eva Wong's Shambhala Guide to Taoism. (You can find it on Amazon.)

That book gives a solid overview of Taoism. You can branch off from there to study what you like.

Interesting aspects (just off the top of my head): immortals, alchemy, magic, astral travel, mythologies, divination, feng-shui, martial arts, etc.

I can recommend other books when you're finished with that one. The thing with Daoism is that you can't really learn by yourself. Eventually, you have to find a teacher. The good thing is that there are a lot of resources today on the net (including English resources for those who don't speak Chinese).

Livia Kohn is a great Daoist teacher, too. I think she's starting a Daoist order somewhere in California?

1. What are the interesting aspects of taoism?

2. Also what are the core concepts of taoism?

3. What is a taoist?

1. The interesting aspect of a Taoist is the self discipline in cultivation for a better health to the body and mind.

2. Wu Wei is the core concept. Let nature take its course is the ultimate goal of a Taoist.

3. A Taoist is a naturalist by following the course of Tao without any adverse action to nature. All actions taken by a Taoist are in accordance with Nature spontaneously.

• Like 1

Get Eva Wong's Shambhala Guide to Taoism. (You can find it on Amazon.)

That book gives a solid overview of Taoism. You can branch off from there to study what you like.

As someone new to Taoism I find it quite confusing and fragmented. Thank you for your recommendation, Eva Wong's book. Just added to my christmass reading list. It appears to sell(used paperback version) on Amazon for 3 cents!

Yeas ago I read Thomas Cleary 'The Art of War'. Made popular by the moive Wall Street, on Gordon Gekkos reading list :) . I didn't realize that Thomas Cleary has done numerous other translations. Many Taoist books in particular.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=thomas+cleary+books&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=7172384707&ref=pd_sl_cwoggh9da_b#/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Athomas+cleary+books&page=2&keywords=thomas+cleary+books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322481835

As someone new to Taoism I find it quite confusing and fragmented. Thank you for your recommendation, Eva Wong's book. Just added to my christmass reading list. It appears to sell(used paperback version) on Amazon for 3 cents!

Yeas ago I read Thomas Cleary 'The Art of War'. Made popular by the moive Wall Street, on Gordon Gekkos reading list :) . I didn't realize that Thomas Cleary has done numerous other translations. Many Taoist books in particular.

its confusing, and it will be until you stop thinking linearly and logically about the mystical concepts presented therein!

Its also fragmented, since many monasteries were razed to the ground in the cultural revolution, and many traditions splintered off and many died altogether. Some of the texts that the masters held are now published for the light of dao to continue in the world, and some of the practices are taught to outsiders. So there is a watering down of the integrity of the knowledge, which is oral tradition dating back to the shamanic era when matriarchal lifestyle held sway. That is gone now, so there is nothing to do about it being fragmented, it just is. It makes sense when you study it, and for 3 cents, eva wong's book will help you sort it all out.

my daoist recommendation for a beginning student: Chronicles of Tao: The Secret Life of a Taoist Master http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Tao-Secret-Taoist-Master/dp/0062502190/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322499051&sr=8-2

1.40 and up! get one, its a fun read. Then you can get involved in discussions about whether its true or absolute fantasy (its that wild!) :)

Edited by anamatva
  • Like 1

Taoism is not unique, from the contrast of reality itself, or the cosmos, or mother nature, taoism just "is". as plain as the nose on your face, no more unique than a pile of rocks.

Taoism in society is as unique as every individual religion or philosophy, not terribly unique, but not exactly a rock in a pile.

Comparably to individual alternatives, Taoism is greatly unique. Comparably to all alternatives, taoism is a mirror.

Humans compare things, this to that, greater, lesser, better, worse. Weather or not this is a good or bad thing, i do not know, but it is how we generally "see" the world, by contrasts.

As someone new to Taoism I find it quite confusing and fragmented.

It is confusing and fragmented and the further you study into things like internal alchemy etc the more confusing it becomes.

I'd say what makes it unique is it's approach to health and longevity, plus the archetypal image of a Taoist always seems to be laughing and having more fun than most of the other religious figures which I think represents it's general approach.

Someone in here years ago said that Taoism reveals itself intellectually and through personal practice. I think that was a sound observation, at least in this modern era.

For the absolute beginner, for self-study -

The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing by Daniel Reid -

Scholar/Warrior by Deng Ming-Dao -

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Taoism by Brandon Toropov (Seriously, these books are extremely well written!)

For getting started on personal practice, if you don't live near a Taoist arts school -

Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body by Bruce Frantzis

The Root of Chinese Chi Kung by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming

and, when the time comes...

The Book of Nei Kung, by C.K. Chu

Taoism is unique in that it is a completely comprehensive philosophy and cosmology but it regards the physical body as the vehicle of spiritual transformation. It connects with virtually every body of knowledge known to humankind but unlike Buddhism, maintains the primacy of physical practice. I also think that Taoism honors the human need for rationalism and transcendence in a way that's a lot more accessible than forms of yoga or other body-centered paths. Just my experience.

Edited by Encephalon

Wow. You're so deep. thanks for sharing.

Are you being ironic? laugh.gif

LaoTze created and defined Tao. Is he an idiot too....???..:D

He keeps telling us he is! biggrin.gif

Now you're being clever:-)

Good one PB.

No, no ,no! Cleverness is a noose you hang yourself with! I just wanted to state the obvious before we fell into the mire! tongue.gif

That's not what I meant PB :-) What I meant was that you had somehow managed to cite the main concepts of the TTC in your own words and I thought that was pretty cool and clever (but not clever get it?)

That's not what I meant PB :-) What I meant was that you had somehow managed to cite the main concepts of the TTC in your own words and I thought that was pretty cool and clever (but not clever get it?)

smile.gif