konchog uma

Refining Qi to Shen

I have some questions about refining qi to shen, since i have been building qi. I would like to continue on with the cultivation towards the source, and having never really properly understood the alchemy of refining qi to shen, i hope someone can point me in the direction of a good book or two. I have questions about these books in particular, if anyone recommends one or the other. I am leaning towards Healing Promise of Qi personally. Thanks for your feedback.

412WeRyJPPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Foundations of Internal Alchemy: The Taoist Practice of Neidan by Wang Mu

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0984308253/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0N785PWE66C0DBXC0270&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

51BO-pU7B6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Internal Alchemy by Livia Kohn and Robin Wang

http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Alchemy-Kohn/dp/1931483116/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322188099&sr=1-3

41mPGdVdm4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Healing Promise of Qi: Creating Extraordinary Wellness Through Qigong and Tai Chi

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Promise-Qi-Creating-Extraordinary/dp/0809295288/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322188226&sr=1-10

If anyone has another book in mind, in which is listed some techniques for refining qi to shen, i would appreciate that. Or, if anyone wants to tell me in their own words about what is happening at the MDT level (or elsewhere) when this is done, OR direct me to some good threads from the past, OR anything else helpful, you have my gratitude. Thank you!

Jing is Kundalini

Chi is Jing in motion

Shen is Chi Enlightened

There are three types of chi, nei wei and shen

Nei internal, Wei external and Shen the ultimate chi of the universe

It's a lot better then the first two :lol:

You can control your inner and outer chi, imagine what you can do when you are fully realized as the part of the whole of it

Can't really give the technique I'm using but go for what strengthens the 8 extraordinary channels, more painful the better :lol:

Become one

Jing is Kundalini

Chi is Jing in motion

Shen is Chi Enlightened

Jing is activated by desire; Chi is activated by thought; Shen is unrefined elixir. Shen is an element of the organization after the dichotomy of yin and yang. Sinfest is working with energy. Essence is open from beginning to end. You are enlightened right now, but don't know it.

Just maintain the subtle awareness that refining vitality into energy into spirit is not about energy work. Spirit is immaterial. This is nopsychological awareness, no different than the immediate knowledge employed by your sense faculties. Habitual discriminatory consciousness is interrupted when refined spirit is emptied.

If you are using energy, you are stuck in energy. Using essence itself; this is where you end up. Seeing esence, there is no person— only awareness.

Refining vitality is stilling vitality, forgetting feelings. When refining energy, thoughts are forgotten. When refining spirit, open sincerity is empty; other is the host and the self is the guest.

At the right time, an aperture opens in cosmic space and one sees the original face. It is not something one does deliberately. From beginning to end, one maintains a subtle awareness open and sincere— free of intellectualism and cloying feelings of self and other. It is a natural process void of imagination.

Not using the body; not using mind, responding to conditions without being seduced by phenomena, there is a reversal that no one knows, only you.

Books are no different than guitar amps— older is usually better— don't rule out any of the Cleary translations of the Complete Reality tradition including his translation of The Secret of the Golden Flower. One can always go back and dabble in the inner energy work; life is short. The truth is, after seeing essence, inner alchemy is spontaneous. Don't mix up the order— refinement reverses and takes over the killing energy of created cycles.

Internal work is still work. This is ancillary to the essential function of the celestial design. It is a matter of how you are seeing reality right now.

What is easy to come by is hard to work with— that's why Sinfest can't say. What is hard to come by is easy to work with. Pain being gain is fallacious— this is malpractice.

There are no promises; there is no thing. No one knows this.

This means knowledge is impersonal; awareness is selfless.

Ultimately this Shen is discarded like so much residue; only then one enters the tao in reality.

(ed note: removed "not" from "Pain not being gain…")

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

Funny how Shen neither internal or external

A rock can't change how river flows but maybe it can let the river change it

I have some questions about refining qi to shen, since i have been building qi. I would like to continue on with the cultivation towards the source, and having never really properly understood the alchemy of refining qi to shen, i hope someone can point me in the direction of a good book or two. I have questions about these books in particular, if anyone recommends one or the other. I am leaning towards Healing Promise of Qi personally. Thanks for your feedback.

If anyone has another book in mind, in which is listed some techniques for refining qi to shen, i would appreciate that. Or, if anyone wants to tell me in their own words about what is happening at the MDT level (or elsewhere) when this is done, OR direct me to some good threads from the past, OR anything else helpful, you have my gratitude. Thank you!

I don't believe any book can help with this. Only the correct practice of a method taught by a teacher that truly understands what they are doing.

There are a few good teachers and methods around. In this my own opinion is well known-I favour Michael Lomax and the Stillness Movement method. Others have their own choices.

Funny how Shen neither internal or external

A rock can't change how river flows but maybe it can let the river change it

Actually, it is not funny at all, that isn't why it hurts, hmmm?❤

Only the correct practice of a method taught by a teacher that truly understands what they are doing.

See essence on your own, then seek a teacher.

My experience of shen is best described as 'wakefulness'. I really like Daoist Nei Gong by Damo Mitchell. Open to new ideas and methods, always.

This is nopsychological awareness, no different than the immediate knowledge employed by your sense faculties. Habitual discriminatory consciousness is interrupted when refined spirit is emptied.

thank you so much! I don't consider perception to be a matter of mind as much as it is a matter of spirit. So i feel right in line with your advice.

You said a lot that resonated with me, i guess i'll just quote that :)

I don't believe any book can help with this. Only the correct practice of a method taught by a teacher that truly understands what they are doing.

There are a few good teachers and methods around. In this my own opinion is well known-I favour Michael Lomax and the Stillness Movement method. Others have their own choices.

i study qigong under a ch'an practitioner. He talks about regulating shen. I would have asked him tonight, but its a holiday, so no class. Thank you for your advice.

I asked my teacher about this recently but I hesitate to write about it.

I do practices that follow a different model then what I percieve most doing here.

Get with an authentic Tao teacher. Follow what he or she has to say. Don't waste time if your really interested.

Edited by Cameron

ps. If you already have a good teacher of Chan Buddhism that should give you the answers your looking for. I studied briefly with a Zen Master in Korea who certainly had answers to all these questions. But for myself, I am well along the Kunlun/Maoshan path so didn't think studying seriously under a Zen(Chan)master would do it justice. Rather just confuse myself.

But a good system taughtby a Master should include all these elements imo.

I asked my teacher about this recently but I hesitate to write about it.

I do practices that follow a different model then what I percieve most doing here.

Get with an authentic Tao teacher. Follow what he or she has to say. Don't waste time if your really interested.

Yeah, but then one is in danger of discovering that "refining qi to shen" is like "refining a forest to a shopping mall." Many a noodle would be fried! :blink:

I always get a kick out of when I mention to any of my "normal" friends that I didn't sleep for a month after getting transmission from my teacher.

The last time I saw him in person in Hawaii he said "You have to put the capstone on the pyramid."

If I have to conceptualize the alchemy of Maoshan it's something like "Ok, this is what you really are, now you have some time so use these methods to burn off your endless ignorance and shit"

Or something like that :rolleyes:

Since we are at it, I have a question.

How many people feel that they have really opened up the microcosmic orbit?

I mean REALLY opened it.

From my limited understanding this would be a basic goal in cultivation in either the fire or water path.

Following the water path as taught in Max's Kunlun school, I don't feel I am even close yet but see the path. And am happily dissolving mountains of shit and trauma :lol:

i study qigong under a ch'an practitioner. He talks about regulating shen. I would have asked him tonight, but its a holiday, so no class. Thank you for your advice.

You are welcome.

Jing is Kundalini

Chi is Jing in motion

Shen is Chi Enlightened

There are three types of chi, nei wei and shen

Nei internal, Wei external and Shen the ultimate chi of the universe

It's a lot better then the first two :lol:

You can control your inner and outer chi, imagine what you can do when you are fully realized as the part of the whole of it

Can't really give the technique I'm using but go for what strengthens the 8 extraordinary channels, more painful the better :lol:

Become one

It's funny, just by what you say I know what practices you do. I don't mean that as a bad thing. You know what you're practicing.

Since we are at it, I have a question.

How many people feel that they have really opened up the microcosmic orbit?

I mean REALLY opened it.

You're asking the question I wanted to ask yesterday for me

hmm... Yes :lol:

It's funny, just by what you say I know what practices you do. I don't mean that as a bad thing. You know what you're practicing.

I know you know :lol:

You're asking the question I wanted to ask yesterday for me

hmm... Yes :lol:

I know you know :lol:

Touche

Edited by NeiChuan

I would like to continue on with the cultivation towards the source, and having never really properly understood the alchemy of refining qi to shen, i hope someone can point me in the direction

It would be of great help for you to learn how to mend the fabric of space-time, which would of course require it to be punctured, ripped, torn, worn through, or otherwise broken. Since there is no other way to make your offering to the way unless you access that opening, it is all kept in the family of practice.

It would be of great help for you to learn how to mend the fabric of space-time, which would of course require it to be punctured, ripped, torn, worn through, or otherwise broken. Since there is no other way to make your offering to the way unless you access that opening, it is all kept in the family of practice.

thanks

i can mend some spacetime

but not all of it

thanks

i can mend some spacetime

but not all of it

Then why did you ask about refining energy to begin with? You already know how.

Then why did you ask about refining energy to begin with? You already know how.

um thanks again. I think i'll stick with the instruction of a master, or at least guidance from a good book.

• Like 2

um thanks again. I think i'll stick with the instruction of a master, or at least guidance from a good book.

It may be more productive to plant crops in the springtime and harvest them in the fall, rather than the other way around. Or perhaps not? Ultimately it's your call, regardless of how much instruction, guidance, teachings, and related ephemera you have accumulated.