Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Volatile Organic Chemicals, Arsenic, Etc.

I was wondering if anybody knows what safe levels guidelines for arsenic are? The number seems to change based on what kind of water filter someone is trying to sell me--I could have sworn the number I was given increased from 1 to 2.5 (PPB) after I said I couldn't afford the arsenic filter and may as well keep buying my water rather than getting a filter if arsenic is so harmful...

Also, for shower filters, how harmful are volatile organic chemicals? Is just getting a chlorine filter good enough or is the more expensive one worth it?

I'm trying to slowly (and affordably) switch over to better cookware, water, etc. I don't want to buy inadequate filters, cookware, etc. and spend even more money having to replace it later, but I also want to look at what is really necessary versus what they are trying to sell. It's sort of like buying equipment--I'd rather buy the less expensive one if it's just as good, but if it's not, I'll end up having to buy both so may as well get the good one to begin with.

I asked my salesperson for copies of all of the water research she has done with references, so I'll post those if/when I get them.

I was wondering if anybody knows what safe levels guidelines for arsenic are? The number seems to change based on what kind of water filter someone is trying to sell me--I could have sworn the number I was given increased from 1 to 2.5 (PPB) after I said I couldn't afford the arsenic filter and may as well keep buying my water rather than getting a filter if arsenic is so harmful...

Also, for shower filters, how harmful are volatile organic chemicals? Is just getting a chlorine filter good enough or is the more expensive one worth it?

I'm trying to slowly (and affordably) switch over to better cookware, water, etc. I don't want to buy inadequate filters, cookware, etc. and spend even more money having to replace it later, but I also want to look at what is really necessary versus what they are trying to sell. It's sort of like buying equipment--I'd rather buy the less expensive one if it's just as good, but if it's not, I'll end up having to buy both so may as well get the good one to begin with.

I asked my salesperson for copies of all of the water research she has done with references, so I'll post those if/when I get them.

I don't believe in acceptable amounts of anything. Zero is always best.

I have a distiller with a pre filter for the big stuff and a carbon post filter.

Bought water has to be checked carefully. It is not a constant.

We use a Showerwise filter - supposed to reduce chlorine, bacteria, algae,fungi, dirt and sediment.

Filtering water is a priority over a shower filter. Put most of your money there.

Some people are fans of reverse osmosis - don't know much about it.

And no the distiller does not leach mineral from your body.

Well, since arsenic is naturally found in all water, some level of it has to be acceptable...

I actually heard you are more likely to absorb chlorine through your skin than by drinking it, because of the heat and how the skin is the biggest organ.

I read something negative about reverse osmisis recently, I'll look for it...

Also distilled water needs to be remineralized.

Also distilled water needs to be remineralized.

Depends who your talking to.

Distilling removes inorganic minerals.

That's the stuff that's white and hard that gathers on your flower pots from watering.

My distiller pot has a thick coating of brown hard stuff which is removed from the water

The pot has to be cleaned every four weeks or so.

Someone else posted this to another list I'm on. So the question is, is 2.5 pbb too much?

Arsenic Level in Tap Water

(in parts per billion, or ppb)

Approximate Total Cancer Risk

(assuming 2 liters consumed/day)

0.5 ppb 1 in 10,000

1 ppb 1 in 5,000

3 ppb 1 in 1,667

4 ppb 1 in 1,250

5 ppb 1 in 1,000

10 ppb 1 in 500

20 ppb 1 in 250

25 ppb 1 in 200

50 ppb 1 in 100

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/qarsenic.asp

Here it is--studies performed by the AMA show that reverse osmosis can concentrate aluminum andleadin water. Also the membrane doesn't work as well after a short amount of time since it deteriorates and can become a breeding ground for contaminants. But who knows. The AMA isn't exactly unbiased.

I can't afford the $500 arsenic filter or the $249 shower filter.

Here it is--studies performed by the AMA show that reverse osmosis can concentrate aluminum andleadin water. Also the membrane doesn't work as well after a short amount of time since it deteriorates and can become a breeding ground for contaminants. But who knows. The AMA isn't exactly unbiased.

I can't afford the $500 arsenic filter or the $249 shower filter.

The shower filter I use costs $ 69

http://www.waterwise.com/products/products.asp

They have an 800 number. You can ask about arsnic.

They also carry distillers.

The shower filter I use costs $ 69

http://www.waterwise.com/products/products.asp

They have an 800 number. You can ask about arsnic.

They also carry distillers.

Multipure is the only filter that actually is tested and certified by the NSF for removing all the things they say they do.

http://www.multipureco.com/consumerdigestchart.pdf

Oh, and shower filter info: http://www.healerwoman.org/wellness/showerdetailedinfo.pdf

Multipure has a shower filter too though.

http://www.multipureco.com/shower.htm

It's affordable but only filters for chlorine.

All right, if anybody else is interested, I've been knee deep in arsenic research. What I found is that the MultiPure arsenic filters, which I think are one of the very few that remove arsenic (some American Plumber models do as well, but they do not remove a million other things that Multipure does, see http://www.multipureco.com/consumerdigestchart.pdf for a comparison chart) only remove pentavelent arsenic, not trivalent arsenic.

This is okay if your tap water has free chlorine, which converts t. arsenic to p. arsenic, but if your local water uses combined chlorine (also known as chloramine) then you're out of luck. My local water currently only uses free chlorine but are looking to move into chloramine. I'd hate to spend tons of money on an arsenic filter and have it not even remove arsenic in a year or two when they do.

Another thing to keep in mind is that of the two Multipure filters that filter for arsenic, one of them is a reverse osmosis filter. I've heard mention of aluminum particles in these RO filters, and I also read but have not verified that studies performed by the AMA show that reverse osmosis can concentrate aluminum and lead in water. (Also the membrane doesn't work as well after a short amount of time since it deteriorates and can become a breeding ground for contaminants.) I'm not a big AMA fan but not an RO fan either.

The least expensive Multipure filter is $180 (plus $6.60 for sheeping) and it's warranteed for 5 years and is supposed to filter 750 gallons of water (which would cost me close to $300 where I buy my water, not including gas). You save a lot by purchasing the 25-year warranteed stainless steel filters.

As far as shower filters, I was looking at the Multipure one, which is certified to filter for chlorine and is very inexpensive. There's also this amazing and equally amazingly expensive one, called the Wellness Shower Filter. It is $250 and the cartridge, which must be replaced every year or two, is $189. Spending $90 a year on a shower filter isn't my idea of a good time... The Multipure shower filter is like $40 or so with $17.50 replacement filters. More up my alley. :) The Wellness shower filters contract Multipure for the carbon part of their filter, and they are currently applying for NSF certification for the other things they filter but have not received it yet.

Anyways, if anybody is reading this and deciding they want to immediately purchase a Multipure filter, you can save $50 plus 20% by becoming a distributor. I might even do it just so I can save money on my filter, it's enough that the registration (I think like $20) is made back on your first sale. I really like what they have to offer but I wouldn't buy the RO filter and I'd research the type of chlorine used in your tap water before buying an arsenic filter. My $.02.

Edited by Lozen

Lozzy,

Monks used to ingest arsenic to kill the parasites and such. These days there are better options, but I don't believe arsenic is as bad as, say, mercury or something...

:)

-P

LOL, nobody's ever called me Lozzy before. That's cute. Can I call you Plotty? Might be appropriate. ;)

Didn't monks eat other forms of poison for fun, too?

Also the Multipure shower filter IS certified, but it's not really a Multipure shower filter. They contract someone else.

Edited by Lozen

Sign in to follow this